Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
There actually was an attempt at a bot back in gens 4 and 5, although work on it seems to have stalled: Technical Machine (and it's thread on smogon). Unfortunately the replays seem to have been lost and it wasn't ever made compatible with Showdown. It did beat its creator in a mirror match though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
You can lead with pokemon that have certain abilities to increase encounter rate (like Illuminate, Swarm or Arena Trap). Unfortunately all of the surf encounters have the same level range in Poni, so you can't use repels to weed out lower level encounters.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Phweengee posted:

A request for insight please.

I finally got a timid Poipole/Naganadel with Hidden Power Ground, unfortunately the 3 maxed stats are HP, attack, and defense. It's speed stat IV is lower than special attack, but the actual value of speed is 116 vs SPA of 114. Assuming I don't put more ev into SPA than speed, i don't need to worry about that SPA stat creeping higher than speed, do I?

I'm trying to make sure in the long run that beast boost continues to buff speed and not SPA.

I think, based on the core stat chart, it shouldn't be a problem, but I want to be sure.

Also, I plan to use bottle caps, will that affect beast boost? If so, then my concern is moot.

With Timid nature and 31 IVs + 252 EVs in both, Speed will still be higher than Special Attack, since the nature is a 10% boost after everything else. For the purposes of Beast Boost, your final stats are what's considered, so a bottle capped stat is equivalent in that determination to a 31 IV.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Only thing other than cheating would be if Beedrill doesn't have a maxed speed IV or EVs (or if you for some reason ran a speed hindering nature). If Beedrill's speed IVs and EVs are maxed then I don't know.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Gamefreak wants to be able to retire items (like they did with type gems) would be my guess. If pressed they might also make up some reason about preserving a game's difficulty or rewards curve.