Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Dexie posted:

For some reason this fills me with joy to hear.

There's almost always a few pokemon who are surprisingly effective in ubers because they are so anti-meta for the metagame at the time. Bronzong seems to be one of the big examples this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Dexie posted:

Yeah but gently caress Bronzong. Bane of my existence during Gen IV.

If you like Alomomola, he's surprisingly high up in the current ubers viability as well.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Kelp Plankton posted:

at the very top there's this weird tier of attempting to counterplay the metagame and a lot of weird picks emerge due to that. but thats like your top 0.01% of players playing against eachother. anything below that generally revolves around the same set of like maybe 20 pokemon that are just superior to everything else

that's how this kind of thing is just going to work though. the game is designed first and foremost as a singleplayer rpg, the competitive stuff always takes a backseat. it gets attention but it's never the main focus

at least IVs are going to be more accessible now

The funniest thing is that a lot of people realized that those two were anti meta. Looking through the lists of top players Raichu and Hitmontop were pretty common!

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

RC Cola posted:

What if your favorite Pokemon happen to be good? Tyranitar, Metagross, Venusaur, Chestnaught, Skarmory, Gliscor, Heatran, Empoleon, and Terrakion are my friends.

The best is when your good taste and patience is rewarded and your favorite pokemon get big buffs that make them a lot stronger. Like what happened to Altaria.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Are you kidding me. The list of pokemon who OHKO Dugtrio in OU is almost certainly longer that the list of those who don't.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Decus posted:

If I'm reading that thread correctly the argument is that he locks in core stall-break pokemon who can't function if they slot roar and are so hyper-specialized that they also can't slot a move to OHKO Dugtrio?

And the problem is thus Dugtrio instead of how the current stallbreak teams are built!

If I recall, when they were initially banning shadow tag, they were hemming and hawing about whether the problem was shadow tag or Mega Sableeye combined with Shadow Tag. Now that this suspect has come up it seems that they really don't want to play against one of the pokemon who is one of the cornerstones of most stall teams.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
It is so tempting to give the hiker who wants a Haunter for a Graveler a Haunter with an Everstone as revenge for what they did in DPP.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Blocking Guzma's Golisopod's First Impression with Tsareena's Queenly Majesty and finishing it off with a Trop Kick is probably one of the cooler things I've done in an ingame pokemon battle.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
It was pretty recent but I think one of the more ridiculous bans Smogon made was the Mega-Sabeleye ban right before Sun/Moon came out. From what I can tell, they determined it was fine if a bit annoying in OU, but people whined so much that it was suspected again.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7challengecup-486204679
Z-moves in challenge cup are rare but pretty cool. Still doesn't beat the one time in Gen-6 I got a Gardevoir with Gardevoirite in challenge cup.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

E2: Actually wild Stuffels that get called in will kill each other. What the gently caress is their problem.
They are fighting for your love.

Also, I'm pretty sure the E4 have min-maxed EVs and IVs. I switched in my Pallossand to create a Pallossand mirror match. Despite my Pallossand having a couple levels on the opposing Pallossand, I only did about 75% with Shadow Ball and got one shot with Shadow Ball in return.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I'm kinda impressed by how long I was able to keep this slow frail starting two alive.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randomdoublesbattle-489292121

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Countblanc posted:

Pokemon Showdown just added an alpha test UU format. I can't find any info about it on Smogon but hey, neat I guess.

Also Lando-I is back in Ubers.

This seems extremely premature given that most of the Sun/Moon players haven't been using it much due to the focus on using the cool new pokes. Also the ban topic is kinda irritating since it talks about about how few counters it has and then includes 0 calcs for Celesteela.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Kurtofan posted:

where does wimpod go!! how do I catch it

You can catch it with a well executed Tauros charge or if you're patient, you'll eventually get a way to get behind it.

Also, it feels like Fire should be a more viable type this generation. As of right now OU is filled with bugs, fairies and steel types because of the UB and Tapus so fire might not be as bad a type as it's been in the past.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Parrotine posted:

How does a Psychic/Fairy spank a Bug/Steel type so badly it drops down a tier? :psyduck:

I'm not 100% sure but it may also be an instance of Mega-Scizor interfering with regular Scizor. If everyone in OU is using Mega-Scizor I think it's possible for Scizorite to be OU but regular Scizor to be UU.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
lmao smogon is considering banning Dugtrio from OU.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Countblanc posted:

what's their reasoning? he seems super good this gen

The main issue seems to be that there's some stall teams that use him that are pretty good that nobody likes playing against. It looks to be a bit of a rehash of the Mega-Sableye/Gothitelle stall team argument from last gen.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

The Golden Gael posted:

Gonna play through Yellow with only lovely Pokemon, like Rattata and Paras

Any other ideas?

I did something similar to this once. Golbat was pretty horrible.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Ariong posted:

There's also Pin Missile and Twinneedle, but good luck seeing those without Beedrill. Is beedrill any good in Gen I?

I used it once in a "bad pokemon" challenge and it held it's own pretty well in game. Gen 1 has a lot of poison types that STAB Twinneedle can do a lot of damage against.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I know Aaron Cybertron used it, but I'm not sure if he came up with it originally, but apparently Drifblim has been showing up on VGC teams as a lead with Tapu Lele because it can use psychic seed to activate unburden and easily set up Tailwind. If it's still alive on the last turn of tailwind it can then use Destiny Bond to either force a 1-1 trade or put itself in a position to set up tailwind again.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Eox posted:

Sometimes you really just win the lottery in random battles huh

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-561848542

If I recall, that Sigilyph set is notorious for being extremely good in random battles. The level advantage it gets over OU mons really does it a lot of good.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Megagross.

Which is kinda funny because last gen they suspected Meta-Gross and kept it and then it kinda fell out of style because the meta-game adapted to it pretty well. This gen, the only buff it got was the new speed upon mega-evolving, but with all the fairies, the meta-game is a lot more favorable to it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

The Golden Gael posted:

Also when the gently caress was Mega Metagross banned in OU, and why?
It was a good while back. I think the official reason is related to mega-evo's getting their speed boost immediately. I think it's more that the OU meta game with all it's Tapus and whatnot was weaker to Mega-gross than the X/Y metagame and Smogon refused to adapt. So really,

cheetah7071 posted:

Smogon is full of cowards

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Filthy Haiku posted:

I've been replaying gen 2 on virtual console recently and I've honestly come to like it way more than I recalled. Problem is there is still the problem of horrible move sets for a lot of Pokemon (I almost gave up on Xatu in gold). I've decided to pre breed a team for crystal, just as sort of a gently caress you to the game. So far I've decided on Chinchou, Houndour, Swinub and Zubat. I'm also going to roll with the Celebi you can catch, even though I usually never play with legendaries. Not really sure what to do for my last spot, I'm just looking to roll the game and have a strong team for catching gen 2 stuff.

Does the cloning trick still work in Crystal?

While the original games did have signifcant issues with balance, they were actually better than a lot of other gens about making most mons viable in game if you know what you're doing. Gen 1 gives you a ton of really good TMs early that can make up for bad level up movesets. Gen 2 and 3 are not nearly as nice to pokemon with bad level up movesets.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

The White Dragon posted:

can you even do koga before sabrina

brah just make golem, cast self destruct. you kind of just have to cheese her alakazam, it can spam recover infinitely

The original pokemon games gave you a huge amount of freedom in the mid game. You can do gyms 3-7 in pretty much any order with the only restriction being that Koga has to come before Blaine so you can surf to Cinnabar. It's part of the reason I still replay them now and again.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Dehry posted:

They're in the game code. No one has actually finished the game to see if they show up later.

https://twitter.com/Kaphotics/status/1061446019953582080

The Eevee special moves are all 90 power 100 accuracy elemental attacks.

That last move sounds like it's Melmatal's signature move and based on the description is a two hit move where each hit has 60 BP and has a 30% chance to flinch.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You know what I'm liking about Let's Go that I wasn't expecting? After you get the second gym badge you can pretty much just blow off the other gyms and explore the rest of the world for a while if you want. You don't need badges to swim or fly or anything like that. I'm really digging getting to play the game in a way that's a little more open world and MUCH less hand holdy than Sun and Moon.

The original games really opened up after you got the Poke Flute and that's a big reason why I still return to them more often than the later games. I'm glad to hear that they didn't remove the non-linearity in Let's Go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Solumin posted:

It sounds like Let's Go is pretty fun! I like the idea of candies letting you boost weaker Pokemon up usable levels.

Honestly I kind of want to visit Kanto again. Would y'all say this is the best version of RBY so far?

Have they adjusted move pools at all? One of my biggest gripes with gen 1 is how unusable a lot of it Pokemon are. Candies plus better move pools would fix a lot of them.

They definitely did. I was skimming some of the level up movepools and the stone evolution pokemon tend to learn their good stuff earlier so you don't have to make them wait forever to evolve. For example, Growlithe now learns flamethrower at level 17. It looks like they actually simplified a lot of pokemon's movesets so most only learn STAB attacks and various support moves, but then they added in some really odd moves like giving Beedrill Outrage and Kadabra Night Shade.