Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Aristide posted:

I have not one, not two, but TEN Charizard Target US codes to hand out!

Since puns seem a little snover done now, all I axew to do is post a picture of your favorite fire type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

sharrrk posted:

what are the death rules

no moody, baton pass, or soul dew.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Dehry posted:

The screen is filled with text saying "Don't disconnect or you will be prevented from trading" during every trade.

Oh good, I though it was something for trading over all my stuff from normal sun into ultra moon.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
I still get major frame drops in doubles so thats still there. As for easier grinding there are 55+ Chanseys on Poni Island that SOS call in Blisseys and your Rotom-Dex sometimes gives you an item that boosts XP (along with a lot of other nice items).

Main reason to get US/UM is there is actually an endgame now with a bunch of cool post game boss fights, recatchable Ultra Beasts, and every god drat legendary to ever exist.

Lant fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 19, 2017

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Beachcomber posted:

The toucan was one of my biggest disappointments, final evolution-wise. For one, he looked mean instead of friendly.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Gruckles posted:

There's an option for this? Thank god, 3ds gyro control is completely unbearable.

It's a pretty roundabout way to change them tho. There is a guy in the GameFreak office that lets you swap between just the circle pad or motion controls.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
This game is a bit more challenging, but it also seems to tho XP at you more willingly than S/M did so you're not first slot dudes can stay caught up and do things.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
or just keep playing because 40 in the story actually doesn't take that long (I ended the game in the high 60s on most of my team)

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
I name all of my pokemon other pokemon names (preferably other ones I'll be using on said team) because sometimes it does gently caress with someone and they do a bad switch.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

ChrisBTY posted:

sigh
- Hear that you can get a Marowak that actually learns Shadow Bone via leveling up from getting Totem Stickers.
- Get 40 stickers, get an Aquanarid. Wonder what's going on.
- Get 50 stickers, get a Salazzle, check the internet.
- See that Totems are version-specific.
-Sync Pokemon Ultra Moon with the trash.

I mean it can't get Lighting Rod so only really useful for the story.

Totem Mimikyu tho...

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Matters on what it called in. If it's the exact same pokemon it called in then that one will SOS call.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Outside of the dog there isn't any other event going on. Best reason to get US/UM right now if you must do something is to abuse Stakataka in doubles until people remember that they can also use Bulldoze.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
You have access to Mimikyu who absolutely shits all over everything that comes after the ghost trial (besides for the fairy trial, which was the only one that gave me any problems). He's also a cute little guy that hides in a costume because he's shy, you should really use Mimikyu.

edit - oh right Play Rough is 46, if he isn't in your main slot I guess he wouldn't have it in time for the Dragon trial then.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

ChrisBTY posted:

Ever get like 3/4ths through a pokemon game and realize that your team isn't very good?

I just got to Poni Island by the skin of my teeth. I have only one special attacker, 3 pokes weak to fighting, 3 weak to water, and my fastest poke is a Mamoswine.

Edit: Unrelated. I just learned that 'Fart' is blocked by the word filter.

To be fair, Mamoswine is really good overall so he can carry you through most things.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

I don't think I like you Battle Agency.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
If it didn't have some really insane rewards I probably wouldn't ever bother with it due to stuff like that.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
A metric gently caress-ton of FC and Gold Bottlecaps.

quote:

Most notably, when you're about to increase in Grade when you're Grade 9, 19, 29, 39, 49 and every time in Grade 50, you will face a special boss. This is either Sophocles or, after the Team Rainbow Rocket incident, Giovanni. If you defeat them, rather than the Rare Candy gift, you'll get a Gold Bottle Cap.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
It takes a while to grind through it, especially if you don't have at least 2 buddies that are doing it with you and/or ahead of you on it.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Only thing I need from lottos now are roto-hatches, which I need an unlimited amount of forever.

Also RotomDex is my friend and shows me resists/weaknesses without me having to look at a chart.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

The Golden Gael posted:

I'm so sick of smogon's bullshit that I've finally moved over to playing VGC. Is anyone up for some sparring this week?

I'm actually going to a live VGC event this weekend!

From how things looked when I showed up last week to just play it'll be like 3 other people there.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

The Golden Gael posted:

What's the best set for something to trample the Elite Four as efficiently as possible for grinding? I'm running a Reshiram/Zekrom duo but apparently Zekrom doesn't get EQ which makes the whole Mold Breaker advantage they have useless on Olivia.

There are a lot of good pokemon if you're wanting to solo elite 4, but if you're trying to grind elite 4 for XP or money tho there are better options (SOS Chansey battles in Pony Plains for XP, Battle Agency for money & FC).

Also message me your friend code or something if you want to do some VGC, you seem to not be accepting messages through SA.

Lant fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 14, 2018

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Just get rotom powers while breeding, you'll gather them up really fast. Besides for Roto-hatch, that one seems really rare.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Zuzie posted:

My wildest Pokemon-related dream came true this morning as Pokemon Bank released their yearly promotional Pokémon distribution. This time its the Alolan Starters with their Hidden Abilities! They have your Trainer ID.

Finally we can use Long Reach Decidueye, Intimidate Incineroar and... I guess Primarina with Liquid Voice?

Decidueye has Shadow Sneak and Phantom Force (move reminder moves), Incineroar has Fake Out (egg move) and U-Turn (TM move) and Primarina has Perish Song (egg move).

Oh sweet, time to breed out Incineroars and mess around with them. It even gave me a 0 speed IV one off the bat so I don't need to spend time and pain getting 0 speed on one later.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Eox posted:

What gimmick are we predicting for gen 8? Omega Breeding, Stellar Trainers, Amazo-Abilities, Overdrive EVs?

Reverse Bottle Caps

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Chill Penguin posted:

Can anyone suggest a 4th mon for my Battle Tree Doubles squad? I currently have:

If you haven't, go breed some pokemon with synchronize and get modest, adamant, & jolly (you probably want to get every nature eventually as well). Then go get a gold bottle cap (the easiest way is to beat every surfing mini game) and catch either a modest Tapu Koko or jolly (or adamant) Landorus. If you get Landorus, go back to Heahea City and talk to Professor Burnet in the lab for the Reveal Glass, then use that on Landorus to turn him into Landorus-T. Level their EVs (Koko 252S.Attack 252 Speed, Land-T 252Attack 252 Speed) and then go SOS chain Chanseys from ambush encounters off the 2 bushes in the south to lvl100. Congrats now not only do you have something to help you in battle tree but you now also have a very good and viable competitive pokemon.

TL:DR, Tapu Koko or Landorus-T.

If you want to hit me or someone else up as well, Hidden Ability Incineroar is also very good.

Lant fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 31, 2018

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Dienes posted:

I think legendaries are guaranteed to have 3 perfect IVs, so a gold bottle cap is likely a waste. You can farm regular bottle caps by:

1) Fishing
2) Hunting for shards on Isle Aphun on Pokepelago (you can exchange 30 shards of any one color for a bottle cap in Festival Plaza)
3) Find someone on Festival Plaza offering a 2-Star Treasure Hunt. Make that person a VIP. Add their Treasure Hunt to your plaza and immediately visit it - the first prize is always a bottle cap. You can keep 'adding' their Treasure Hunt to your plaza (just have it replace itself) and visiting it for another bottle cap. Comes out to about 150-200 coins per bottle cap.

Its much easier snagging 3 regular caps than one gold one.

I have like 30 golds and 5 normals, if you can do Battle Agency golds are much easier. Big if tho, Battle Agency is a bitch to do. You naturally can just buy both tho like you said if you also do Battle Agency.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
I like that Beldrum also has Take Down so if you false swipe him he just kills himself.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Chill Penguin posted:

I haven't caught any of the legendaries in US yet. I have all the synchronizers, but how do you know which one to bring with you through the wormhole? I would love to have a powerful Lando-T.

This guide will help a lot. Landorus needs both Tornadus and Thundurus in your party to spawn, which again I can let you borrow one if you have the other. Koko is quite a bit easier to get overall since you don't need to do the wormhole minigame a bunch.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Plasbad posted:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-730853960

Been playing around with a fun team in VGC18 using Stantler. The idea is to Skill Swap Intimidate onto your opponent so it activates Defiant/Competitive. Still tweaking the team though, but I'm starting to get happy with it.

Holy poo poo, I actually faced this team once on battlespot. I was so god drat confused at the pick screen.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
The best wonder trades are the obvious hacked mons that are also full on jokes, like shiny Luvdisc with Attract/Charm/Sweet Kiss/Captivate or Waillord with every move that has a spinning animation.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Note Block posted:

Is there a difference between these event legendaries and the ones found in Ultra Wormholes?

So far no, but we are getting Shiny Zygarde eventually tho so there is that.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
I think he's going for the Dusk one, in which case you cannot SOS chain it.

Also just 15 that are 6IVs? That is like what, 100 eggs at most? You're going to be in for a long ride.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Blaze Dragon posted:

No, the first Dark type in the dex appears after Kanto. None of the Kanto mons were retconned into Dark.

We did get Alolan Meowth tho.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Smogon also mostly plays singles, where as the OFFICIAL NINTENDO SPONSORED COMPETITIVE SCENE is doubles when you use just 4 of your 6 in a given battle. Needless to say Intimidate is much stronger when it hits 2 pokemon rather than just 1 and you have less things to switch out to.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Parrotine posted:

I was considering doing soft resets for shiny legends but 100 hours? Yikes, no thanks :suicide:

I'm doing it for shiny Blacephalon because like an idiot I agreed to a very good trade instead of being a not insane person and getting a normal Stakataka with 0 speed and 17 or less def IVs. I say this because it's been like 3 months and I want to die.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

.TakaM posted:

I just got the shiny Celebi :holy: :holy: :holy:

edit-
anyone want a shiny Celebi? :3
I cloned a bunch of them, they're all timid nature with 5 perfect stats.
I'll give out ten, so first in first served. Reply with your friend code

2294-6273-4972

oh i missed this somehow.

1590-5583-6038

got it, thanks!

Lant fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 22, 2018

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Crawfish posted:

Sounds like toothpaste dog Shiny Zygarde is a mystery gift outside of the US.

Which is nice, because i'm never going to go out of my way to a store for dumb free pokemon.

You literally just walk in, ask for a dumb code, and walk out. Unless you have some crippling social anxiety or literally no way to get to said store I don't see why it'd be a problem.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Tired Moritz posted:

git gud does not apply in a game where you need to get perfect ivs and chain breed for attacks

outside of Trick Room and Hidden Power it takes like, 2 hours to get a fully ready and VIABLE FOR LIVE EVENTS team. Bottlecaps have made it very easy to jump into. The only real problems getting into competitive pokemon is there really isn't a single site that can be used for a good overall resource, you need to use a lot of different sites because they're all to suborn to just throw everything at one site (trainertower.com, smogon.com, serebii.net, ect.).

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Bleck posted:

this may come as a surprise but 2 hours doing something tedious and unfun is actually a problem

A lot of it is actually fun tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
You goddamn madman.