Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Zore posted:

Actually confirmed? It seemed pretty vague when described.

A japanese gaming mag (and in turn, serebii.net) has confirmed that hyper training maxes out the IV in whatever stat you pick. No word yet on how rare the bottlecaps used to access hyper training are going to be though, or what tiers they come in if any (although the item being called "silver" bottlecap does give the impression of at least a gold bottlecap existing).

Still, to live in a world where I can raise the stats of my adorable war machines using pogs? Who knew this is what the future would hold. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Golden Goat posted:

What is everybody gonna name their starter?

I'm seriously tempted to name my mermaid seal Magicant to go with my good friend Flyingman the pom-pom style Oricorio. Teddy the Bewear is tempting but I doubt I'd go all the way with such a gimmick team if I can't have a Trubbish named Loid on it.

I'm not sure if this is a better or worse naming convention then I had in my initial playthrough of Y where I named everything after various drinks and sweets or my current one with an all female team with names ending in the letter A.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

So SuMo is more or less a spiritual successor to all the things good about B2W2 and making them better? I'm down with that. :swoon:

It's hard to say what's the bigger surprise: Decidueye's typing or being able to fight freaking RED AGAIN.

Also I am so relieved that Alolan Persian looks a lot better in motion then in the still that got leaked. I love my big-headed cat friend.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Question: is it possible to game the day/night system by fiddling with the in-game clock and if so, what's the earliest you can do it? I'm thinking I want a nightime mon but I'm playing sun so everything is so bright and cheery at the moment.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Question for those who've ported over Gen 1 mon: If you take them to the move reminder in SuMo, does it give them access to their current level up moves or only moves they would have learned in their game of origin?

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Ometeotl posted:

It's just Lycanroc wearing Gen 4 girl's hat.

I could get down with that.

I wish I liked Dusk better since I like it's colour set, but even when you realize that Midnight is just Midday standing upright and grinning, Dusk's design just lacks anything that gives it character and makes it unique.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Wow it's nothing!

Okay, so we got a name for one of the new mysterious shadowy figures and it looks like they turned travelling to the Ultra Dimension into a minigame like Mantine Surf but boy, does it feel like they're still being tight lipped with info. At least it seems like it's getting a little more added to it then previous 3rd versions have gotten in the past as far as story goes.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

I have not one, not two, but TEN Charizard Target US codes to hand out!

Since puns seem a little snover done now, all I axew to do is post a picture of your favorite fire type.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Abundant Atrophy posted:

No code, just wanted an excuse.

Heat Rotom is one of my favorite Rotoms, just behind Freeze.

Starsnostars posted:

I don't need a code by fire types are friends.

Good dog. I'm not really surprised that Arcanine is a lot of people's faves.

ninja4x8, you might want to change yours settings so I can send you a code.

Besides that, I still have 4 more codes to hand out to anyone who wants/needs one!

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Since I still have four of the Target Charizard codes left, I feel like I might as well put them up for grabs:

code:
A7A5RFGWQAZAKY64
code:
A7A5RFQDXGG5WF6M
code:
A7A5RFZELHMREHKP
code:
A7A5R85Q87WE8XLY

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Gold and Silver's recent release on the VC seems like such an obvious tie in for some Gen II Alolan formes but Gamefreak does it's best to let me down with every new bit of prerelease info. Slowking-A to parallel Mega Slowbro, Stantler, Teddiursa/Phanpy, Sunkern, just loads of pokemon and their families that could use a new spin but nooOOOooo.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Took the time to make up a new trading thread. Useful for people asking for codes, seeking weird pokemon/move combos or worried their request might get lost in the white noise of discord.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Lorak posted:

Usually, yes. However, I imagine the speed at which the games save might be a little bit faster, though I could be wrong. Haven't tested it myself, which is why I figured I'd ask if anyone else had first.

I've played around with several of the cloning glitches and it's actually easier to get the timing right thanks to just being able to tap the touchscreen and then hit resume if you undershoot it.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Confirmation that there's no new alolan forms is disappointing, but at least it gives me plenty of time to reconsider my team. Maybe I'll go for a dark mono-type team and see how bad the game's decent bugs push my face in.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

LionArcher posted:

Thanks for all of this! Great info 👌🏻👍🏻

Edit. How is crystal to play? Is it a slog or is it okay?

I'm playing through Crystal right now myself and its not quite as bad as Gold and Silver are in terms of pacing. The small handful of extra story bits kinda help fill the gaps and the uphill battle that is grinding doesnt really hit until after the E4 which only covers the last 1/3 of the game.

You can also chain breed shinyness in Gen II as any couple with a shiny parent has muchly increesed odds of having the opposite gendered offspring be shiny.
Pair that with the odd egg's improved shiny chances and the save glitch and you could be swimming in alternate colored pokemon!

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

The hate Let's Go! Is getting is like, whoa, calm down. Its okay to be disapointed but no one pissed in your cheerios and ruined your day by putting this out. Maybe if it was the only game being released I'd understand a bit better but we also know that Gen 8 is gonna drop in 2019 now.

Its biggest offense is that it's kinda lackluster for old fans who've stuck with the series for most of it's run but its not any worse looking then when we got FRLG, HGSS, and ORAS and those were all decent remakes. That it's a mid step between Go and a console game makes sense as a way to get new players young and old to get (back) into the games at a time where intrest in thep Swich is high and pokemon is more popular thanks in part to Go.

Pokemon Quest also dropped and is live and it's a cute little freemium game. Its like a Dungeon game and... thats it? You go around levels and beat up other pokemon to discover pokemon themed relics. The "dlc" is mostly there to give you access to decorations and a handful of good pokemon earlier then you can in the main campaign. Its not a great boon though. I was able to get both a Hitmonlee AND a shiny Grimer just farting around.

Personally, the only thing I'd like to see from Let's Go, Go and Quest is pokebank compatibility when they do roll out gen 8 but that's a ways off so I might as well enjoy what have right now.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

hangedman1984 posted:

A832-M85K-8Z8H-WY5Y

Grabbed this one since I wont be able to make it to my "local" GS anytime soon so thanks!

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Found an unused card for Entei/Raikou for NA USUM games while throwing out some old paperwork from around my desk.
Can also be redeemed in vanilla SUMO but you don't get the gold bottle cap so why bother???

code:
A8Z9F2DGX2DXZ5JP

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Breeding in Gen II is the worst. I'm wrapping up the postgame in Crystal and breeding shinies/interesting moves for my living dex while I do and at it's best there's only a 40% chance of an egg spawning. It's 10% at it's worst which is what I'm normally dealing with for egg moves. Most of the novelty egg moves are just that too. No one needs a Squirtle that knows confusion.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

US THUNDURUS/TORNADUS CODES

A8434NHU3QZWDDS7

A8434P3EPYT7NQT2

A8434NLMJEFNNREZ

A8434NPT2L75N7LP

A8434NPHCHWYK2HD

A8434NNN8DZQ2RQ5

You know, I wish the americas got more interesting event pokemon. July would have been the perfect month to roll out some Braviary with Celebrate or Bibarel with Hold Back. Legendaries are kinda boring imho.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

My point is that the vast majority of event pokemon have always been legendary/mythical which is OK and good for newer players but is uninspiring to people who can go back a gen or two and get the bulk of them that way.
But I understand if I'm alone in my preference of gimmick pokemon with dumb moves. I did just spend a day breeding a Squirtle with Confusion.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

All the extra Chikorita that were still on the screen when the community day event ended turned into our little nutboi instead of despawning as they usually do. Most of them were uncatchable and the few that were, in my area at least, did the 'oh!' animation and turned into Ditto while the ones that didn't turn became Chikorita upon capture. Encountering it never counted it as being seen on the pokedex or on the world map either.

Honestly, everything about it screams dummy model but I guess the community is so thirsty for Gen 8 info that it'll latch on to anything.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Well it turns out I was loving :wrong:
Sorry Meltan. You're cute and good if not a little boring after the all star line-up that was Gen VII.

Here are some shiny poipole codes for the thread as my way of apology:

A878XXQ3E7GRUAKZ
A878Z7UTN846W5DD
A878ZA5DPYF2EF6D

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

iospace posted:

Thoughts?

Fairy and Steel are easy to monorun due to their strengths and the kind of pokemon you'll be battling throughout the game. Not very challenging if that's what you're looking for.
That said, if your heart is set on either one, might I suggest my good metal friend Bisharp or less metal but still good Shiinotic?

For ice... Vanilluxe is deserving of more love. There's also Glaceon, Mamoswine, Cloyster and Aurorus to consider. And Crabominable but it's.. not very good or cute which is a hard pass for a lot of people.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Huh, never noticed how much the SuMo protags look like they're wearing Team Aqua/Team Magma themed shoes. Or how badly their outfits clashed. You can tell these are kids because they can't accessorize for pokébeans.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

The greatest tragedy was the inablity to transfer pokemon from Gen 1+2 up to Gen 3. All those poor pokes lost to dead batteries... RIP No Guard Fissure Machamp :'(

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

New Grass starter looks... familure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Iron Crowned posted:

I almost always go with the grass starter, but this one isn't really grabbing me.

Same. I've gone with the grass starter for more then half of these games but I think this is gonna be another Gen VII where I go with water unless the other two have some outstanding looking final forms.

Like, I know we joke about digimon-looking pokemon, but Grookey reminded me pretty heavily of Monmon at first sight (and also that scene from The Jungle Book where Baloo dresses up as a monkey). That said, if it's final form ends up looking like some sweet Grass/Dark or Grass/Psychic witch doctor or a veggie Bigfoot I'd be down with it.
Watch as it turns into some Grass/Steel kendo monkey though with it's hair stick becoming it's sword. That seems like the most obvious way for them to go so I'm sure that's what will happen.