Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Grass is a Good Type that does not need buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

PSWII60 posted:

This, also mega evolution counts as new pokemon the same way other new evolutions count and mega evolutions are staying so suck it nerds.

Thank you PSWII60 for being standing with me as a Pillar of Being Good At Pokemon in this thread.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Vernatio posted:

Team Rocket is probably my favorite evil team. Giovanni was a cool villain who didn't have some moment of realization or a heel face turn. He was confident in his beliefs until the end, and I really like the way HGSS expanded on his story. I might be mis-remembering some of this, though.

The original Team Plasma and Team Galactic were probably the closest the teams got to being that good, I think.

Team Rocket was a lovely mafia that could barely hold down control of a handful of buildings before a ten year old rolled up and smashed their entire criminal network in half and then they spend years being even shittier and crying that daddy The boss won't come back until another 10 year old shits on them even harder.

I'm more willing to forgive the other teams for losing since they're usually dealing with some Magic/Super Science/Ancient God poo poo but team Rocket hosed up at the least ambitious/easiest goal. It's embarrassing.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 21, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

If you want an evil team that is somewhat competent, actually gets most of their plan finished, AND has a villain that doesn't realize he was an asshoole/face turns Team Plamsa is better than Team Rocket at literally every category.

Down to the Boss because Ghetis is still a huge rear end in a top hat and will never back down from being the biggest scumbag while Giovanni does do a bit of a face turn since he goes into self imposed exile and seemingly never returns after his defeat.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Vernatio posted:

I guess Team Rocket was kind of lame if you look at it like that, yeah. I kind of wrote off the losing to a ten year old as it being a kid's game, but you're right, the other teams were dealing with higher stakes than just occupying buildings.

Team Plasma is using a displaced Monarchy and the local Legends about the reincarnation of heroes and a Boy raised by pokemon to (somewhat successfully) sway the mind of the people to release their pokemon (So the Team Plasma leaders are the only ones with teams) while also completely destroying any possible opposition by dismantling the pokemon league which they succeed at by razing the Elite Four and then raising a castle upon the wreckage.

Team Plasma is the best.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gen 6 has been my Shiny heaven. On my birthday the year X/Y came out I found a shiny Sligoo in a friend safari, then I hatched a shiny 4 IV Crogunk, which was quickly followed by a shiny 6 IV Axew. And while EV training an Emolga in ORAS I found a shiny Zigzagoon with okay IV's. Plus it was Adamant so I could actually work with it.

Now I'm dehumanizing my self and breeding this Japanese wonder tradeed reject Cottonee to try and get a shiny Whimsicott to round out my team of favorites.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Senerio posted:

I personally prefer EVA-01 to EVA-02, but that is a good reason to prefer the shiny form.

Shiny Genesect is just Char's Custom Genesect, even down to the whole 3x as fast/Extremespeed.

What I'm saying is it's a reference to a good anime, not the bad anime you think.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

All Gen 2 pokemon are bad and should honestly just be put straight into the trash and forgotten.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Even Heracross has finally been overtaken as Bug/Fighting King by Pinsir, the rightful lord. He's not even fighting type and does Close Combat better than Heracross.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mega-Pinsir is way better than either form of Heracross, sorry man.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Okay here's an addendum to my statement: GEN 2 has no good pokemon, but it has a few mediocre one's that were saved either with Gen 3's mechanical changes or Gen 4 giving them evolutions that weren't poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zore posted:

Scizor, Tyranitar, Skarmory, Blissey say lol.

Scizor is a poo poo design, Tyranitar is an awful x4 Weak to fighting waste of a slot and the worst Pseudo-Legendary Design easily. Skarmory is a poo poo bird with 1 set that's been out done over and over by now and Blissey's one entire claim to fame is being so lovely it makes Chansey better by design and mechanically.

Gen 2 is the generation of pokemon that were too lovely to make the cut into the first games but hey, we've got most of them done already so we might as well slap them in anyway.

They're pokemon that lost out to such inspired designs as Voltorb, Diglet, and Seel.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 22, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

alcharagia posted:

WAS IT YOU ZEN MASTER BULLSHIT

I FEAR NOTHING FROM YOU ALCHARAGIA

I am the pokemon master, the rest of you cannot even hope to reach my level.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I take back all the things I said about gen 2 since it has Politoed. Thank god someone realized Poliwrath was a mistake

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Psyduck is there, if this means no alola versions for that line then gently caress this earth. :negative: I wanted a Water/Psychic Golduck these past 20 years..

Golduck's not in there and remember, not all Alola form lines are all completely Alola. Pikachu is normal pikachu but Raichu is alolan.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Given that this arcanine thing disproves the leak with Fighting type Alakazam, I think it's safe to assume that any pokes with Mega forms probably won't get alola forms.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ruggington posted:

You can only Warp Digivolve one mon on your team per battle and they can't hold a non-mega stone item

Mega-evloution is clearly BURST Digivolution.

Learn the lore, Ruggs

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

I thought megaevolution was pretty similarly today regular digivolve since it's battle focused and temporary :shrug:

But it's based on the players FIERY SPIRIT and THE STRENGTH OF THEIR BOND with their pokemon. Clearly BURST Digivolution.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zore posted:

...Isn't that literally every form of Digivolution?

Except Armor I guess.

Nah most of them are just Have a Magic Device or The Digimon Is High Enough Level With Certain Stats.

Hell, this is even discounting all the natural permanent digivolutions that happen all the time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ruggington posted:

I still have so much training to do...

One day you'll reach the truth , that all monster catching games are actually the same thing.

Terriermon is the best Yokai.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

Ok, does anyone like:

Surely these are the most unlovable.

Those are literally the Top 3 Fighting Type designs.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

ok but please defend the virtues of delibird

He's super adorable and just wants to deliver presents to all the good trainers of the world.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fellblade posted:

Thanks for that.

It's like playing an FPS where I enjoy the gameplay but everybody is aim-botting and wall hacking except me.

As someone who enjoys breeding pokes and had a terrifying "Living Pokedex of Perfect Pokémon" eugenics program let me just say your opinion is as stupid as the analogy you just made.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

hidden powers?

also minimum attack for foul play

And gyro ballers.

Also they're still good at doing then thing they were made to do which ensure Sally's Pikachu is unique and different from Billy's pikachu.

Please remember this is a game for babies and not at bitter old competitive players such as myself

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fellblade posted:

I agree it's not the best analogy, but in principle they took the shortcut to being at the top of the game as opposed to spending the time doing it.

Being able to instantly get any Pokemon you want with full perfect stats and egg moves instantly at any time gives you a massive unintended advantage in learning, practicing and competing over somebody who might spend a week building a team the intended way.

I'm not saying people shouldn't hack Pokemon like the morality police, I'm saying you have to if you want to play the game competitively which sucks because why is it even in the game if that's the case. The whole VGC thing seemingly blowing up is great but in the current gen (even with it's massive breeding improvements) it's impossible to realistically compete without hacking..

Except you can jump on showdown right now and have a team done in a minute. And there's tons and tons and tons of theory crafting about comp teams online.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

Honestly showdown feels like a much more fun interface for battling than the game, but the game is more fun for the game parts of the game.

I like having both available.

Yeah Showdown to learn and practice and cartridge for raising and playing is kind of the dream situation

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fellblade posted:

Surely the dream is a game where you can do both?

Not really. I mean even with bottle caps there's still going to be a bit of time needed to get that ball rolling and Breeding for moves will also take time which is fine but If I'm hankering for some instant Pokémon fighting the Browser based simulator is always going to be easier and more convenient than whipping out a handheld rummaging through boxes and inventories logging into the online function then joining competitive PVP. Sims have the amazing function of letting me instantly pick random Pokemon to add to a team and pick from all of its possible moves and abilities instantly which is something completely opposite to to idea of pokemon as a Monster Raising game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fellblade posted:

The solution that most have chosen is to play simulators and hack Pokemon (historically because there was no practical alternative), I believe as the games make steps towards reducing that barrier to entry the community (and thus me) should attempt to embrace it in order to promote it. This is real hard to do when it's the idiots path because you can just hack everything.

So here's the deal, you don't owe a corporate entity anything even if you enjoy their product. This part of the post just makes you sound like a weirdo.

That being said, there's literally no way they could ever out convenience factor of simulators short of making one in game that skips all the pokemon raising, which they will never do because getting people to spend time raising monsters is literally their business, so hacking is the only real way to get anywhere near the ballpark of that level of pick up and go (and it's not even THAT close given the effort you gotta go through to inject pokemon vs typing a Name into a text box on Showdown). They're making a little more convenient with Hyper and Super training, but I there's not much more they could do in game without completely workarounding the entire point of the game.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 30, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Pretty sure they could kill the "convenience" of sims pretty quick with a cease and desist order.

I wonder why they haven't honestly, it's pretty blatant IP abuse.

Because you can just download them and run a server on your own to do it. It's entirely pointless because at that point they'd be wasting time and money playing whack-a-mole.

ALSO because the people that care about competitive pokemon, and even more those that care enough h to use a sim, are such a small subset of people buying Pokemon games they really don't matter. Especially considering most of those people using sims probably own at least 1 current gen pokemon game, if not more.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

sims don't really keep people from buying pokemon games, probably

God knows I bought 3 Gen 6 pokemon games and still mostly play pokemon on Sims.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mega Medicham is current OU staple and made a mediocre pokemon very powerful and good.

If you think that's a bad mega just because it didn't give a pokemon a new gimmick/niche you're dumb.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

What is this bullshit??? There was a HA Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres giveaway?

I was subscribed to the Pokemon Trainer Club like ages ago, and when I went to check, the latest mail I received was like last December asking me to confirm if I still want to be subscribed to Pokemon Trainer Club. Obviously I saw it just now so I didn't answer so I was automatically unsubscribed.

THE gently caress. What newsletter spam even does that?

If it helps all their HA suck poo poo and in fact out of those three only Zapdos is worth any attention.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dark/Normal is almost unresisted STABs right?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

HoneyBoy posted:

I still maintain that Silver is the best rival because your first introduction is him kicking your rear end

Never once did this happen.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dabir posted:

mega pidgeot is loving awesome

No.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Emalde posted:

do you also use the phrase "<...> looks like a digimon"

No, digimon is usually way way worse than pokemon in design but when they nail a design it's so much better than anything pokemon could hope to make. No pokemon will be as cool as BanchoLillymon or BanchoLeomon.

That said, most mega pokeon are all way cooler than their base designs to the point that I kind of wish they were just straight evolutions so we could forget the base forms completely. Pidgeot has one of the least cool megas. Mechanically it's okay, but it's just a Pidgeot that's a bit more...Pidgeot-y.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 4, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I'm not really familiar with digimon, can you cite some examples?

Do you want the bad poo poo or the good poo poo?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Emalde posted:

I think the particular example you chose doesn't fit (I think M-Mawile is a perfect actual evolution), but for most of them I agree.

Anyone who doesn't like Mega-Pinsir, Mega-Beedril, Mega-Lopunny and Mega-Medicham better than their respective non-megas are objectively wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also for that poster that wanted some examples of good/bad digimon designs

BAD:
Sangloupmon
Tigervespermon
Dinobeemon, AKA 'Aww geeze the fusion hosed up)
Fangmon, something actually from my nightmares made real.
Scorpiusmon, the 3rd of 6 different "What if arachnid but skeleton' designs the poo poo out.

Good poo poo:
Guardromon and his evolution
Blimpmon AKA Alola Drifblim.
Sunflowmon, or We decided to make Sunflora but not make it look like a weak piece of poo poo
The hero of the people Pumpmon
Best partner Terriormon
ChessBishopmon and his final form
ChessKingmon
Phantomon.

They're going for a different look than Pokémon, where they're not as afraid to go too far and make it machine, attach a non-natural looking part to the creature or put clothes on a design to help it out (see Chesskingmon) but that really backfires a lot of the time. Pokemon designs are slowly opening up to that idea as well, with Sawk and Throh and the arm shield Tiki Island Gods. Digimon can be cool, but it's usually in a totally different direction than Pokemon so I've never understood any of the comparisons between perceived bad Pokemon designs and really any digimon.