Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fun Times! posted:

I posted the other day asking about which 3DS to get. I'm gonna get the $99 Black Friday New 3DS XL. And I think I'm gonna get Sun. My friend said the GameStop employee told him people have preordered Moon waaaay more than Sun. How come?

People think the moon is cooler than the sun.

Source: 14-year-old me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

mandatory lesbian posted:

i recall them hyping up the changes to plasma's storyline (which i think amounted to cyrus giving a new speech and not much else lol)

Sped up battles and surfing saved that gen.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honestly the main thing I remember them promoting for Platinum was the sped up surfing, but maybe that's just what I took away from it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Battle Pyramid and Pike in Emerald were my favorite facilities because they gave you some element of exploration instead of straight battles the whole way through.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It will probably be another worldwide release again so why does it have to be an English source

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

oddium posted:

why is the lion twilight and the bat dawn

Dawn in Japanese is homonymous with red moon so

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The stories have all been basically the same, but they've kinda gone overboard with the cutscenes in the 3DS games.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

I don't get why people say pre-physical/special split makes the games hard to play. Like it was a good change, but the games are still very playable.

I was watching a video once of someone using Latios in the Battle Frontier in Emerald and was wondering why they were using Dragon Claw after Calm Mind and it took me a good three minutes before I remembered.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TFRazorsaw posted:

How can characters created in Japan be weebs?

Weeb is just otaku translated into English.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
So how early can I get an Ekans in Ultra Moon

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
drat, I guess I should’ve played a bit more after getting to take off my hat. Thanks all.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm pretty sure the anime has shown them having video conversations in real time

and episode 42 of SM has them in the same place

You submit this as proof in a series where time travel exists.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can’t believe this joke of cosmic coincidence is not logically sound.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess I’ve spent too long with people who make completely sincere posts in the same vein to tell otherwise, sorry.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Countblanc posted:

i don't accept your apology

Please I’m trying my best

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ultima66 posted:

This is the basis of that Lorelei Softlock which was pretty amazing to hear about in R/B.

Basically once you entered the E4 and save, there's no way out besides fainting or winning. If you entered Lorelei with only a Primeape that knows Rage and nothing else, Lorelei's Dewgong will use Rest every turn, and due to how AI works opponents never run out of PP in gen 1. Rage makes you lose control and attack until you faint in gen 1, and doesn't actually consume PP while doing so, which means that you can never actually KO Dewgong and it will always Rest forever.

The caveat is that Rage doesn't trigger the control loss unless it hits, which means in theory you can get out by missing on the 100% = 99.6% accuracy glitch 20/32 times in a row. Good luck!

There's no reason it has to be in a row. Missing is missing either way.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Phrosphor posted:

Do I stick with this Noibat or scrap it? I already have a flier on my team with Murkrow, who has done great work ever since I caught him. Noibat has under performed consistently and I know Noivern is just around the corner but I am getting really frustrated dragging around this bat that dies in one hit to anything and does almost no damage when it does get a hit in.

It’s pretty poo poo but also all of its base stats more than double when it evolves.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TFRazorsaw posted:

https://twitter.com/AshandSerena/status/939984891449454592

so I guess Pokemon movies are just gonna either be their own thing or set in the I Choose You! universe from now on.

That title seems to be implying a new TV series though, not a movie.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TFRazorsaw posted:

what title? I thought it didn't have one yet

Well in that trailer it says Pocket Monsters 2018, so I assumed that was the name of the project at least.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TFRazorsaw posted:

That’s how every movie is referred to before it gets a real title. Just “Pocket Monsters the Movie [insert year here]”

Yeah, I missed the small text saying it's a movie, whoops.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol, I had my own “this is why I went to college” moment when I got to the guy who asked what magnitude was 10 times brighter than a fifth magnitude star.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

PetraCore posted:

Speaking of optimum pokeball aesthetics, how the heck do I get the moon ball? I can't figured out where Samuel gives it to you in USUM. I've searched everything on Mt. Hokulani.

I wasted my love ball on something I wasn't adequately prepared to soft reset on but I want to use the moon ball well.

Pretty sure it's somewhere around the right edge of the summit, behind the Pokecenter?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Scaling levels for gyms doesn’t really work because if you’re overleveled, you’re probably intentionally grinding because you’re bad at the game or whatever. Scaling levels then means the game never will get easier for you if you try putting more time into it. The only scenario where you get an overleveled Pokemon quickly is going to be a trade, which is also balanced for.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blaze Dragon posted:

People keep saying that without realizing how much it'd gently caress up the game. Pokemon is just not built to be an open-world game.

It's almost as terrible of an idea as having all regions in one game.

Plus Game Freak would never go back to having more freedom of choice in going about the map, considering how kids were stymied enough by the 2 branching paths in Sinnoh.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It makes no thematic sense why wild Pokemon would be stronger just because you have more badges though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Borsche69 posted:

It makes no thematic sense why all the strong pokemon are on one route and not another. Each route should really have a mix of level 2 babies and level 40 fearows

It’s like competitive evolution. One random Pokemon gets stronger so all the others have to also get stronger to compete at the same level.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I get the lottos so frequently I don’t even bother cashing them in half the time, because pausing every minute is just too much.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Borsche69 posted:

This isn't a bad thing at all. In fact, it's been shown in the past that kids will continue to bang their heads against a wall in order to overcome basically any obstacle. Kids have way more patience for video games than you give them credit for.

In an interview the devs mentioned a lot of kids got too lost in Sinnoh to finish the game. Hence the move to a more linear map for Unova.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oxyclean posted:

So what you want is an open-world mystery dungeon. Never played the series, but I've heard of the personality test thing, it sounds neat but I wonder how many people just cheat to get the pokemon they like.

The last one just gave you an option of doing the test or straight up picking. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bleck posted:

I wish someone would wrest creative control of the Digimon franchise away from the insane fiends who currently do it. It's like they're all completely unaware of what made people like it in the first place.

Appmon is the best Digimon show period and the one ep where Agumon guest stars is better fanservice for Adventure fans than all of Tri.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

zonohedron posted:

Can someone explain to me in very small words what the player is accomplishing by changing the date and then restarting the game?

They're manipulating the RNG by trying to get a specific seed so they can basically script the game to do what they want with things like encounters, how battles go, etc.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

less laughter posted:

Including dozens and dozens of virtually interchangeable mono Normal-types (and for Water-types the glut is even worse, and Psychic and Grass are getting there as well) with barely any niches of their own is the opposite of making the world bigger and more diverse, it's making it blander and much less inventive and creative.

Cinccino is my favorite Pokemon.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I’m sure Falkner will be extremely threatening with his level 9 Pidgeotto.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

They brought back the giant Lapras plush and made it even bigger.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Surely you could just carry around the Kricketune in that case.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
People project a lot over one mon getting no attention.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

im gonna be so hecking mad if they dont announce pokemon stuff tomorrow

https://twitter.com/iiotenki/status/1000861496639811584

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
If Niantic is credited on that presentation slide but not Game Freak, it seems more like it's not a mainline Pokemon game at all.

e: oh wait, they put Game Freak in kana

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
As opposed to Viridian City?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Guy Goodbody posted:

I know that in the first Pokemon Games the Pokemon made bizarre screeching sounds because the Game Boy could only play simple beeps and boops, and the Pokemon lore wasn't set in stone anyway. But nowadays, when everyone knows that Pokemon only say their names and Pokemon games are on cutting edge portable systems, why do they still make the distorted screeches? Shouldn't they have switched to having the Pokemon say their names by now?

A lot of Pokémon have different names in other languages so it’d be a heck lot of audio bloat considering every language is on the cart these days.