Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Look at my good taste in Pokemon.

I don't really like bug types that much, honestly. Runners up were Cloyster, Torterra, and Victreebel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Zore posted:

Kingler finally gets a goddamn 100% accurate physical water move.

And it's boosted by Sheer Force! Finally, the OU Kingler is born...

It will be RU at best.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Haha, no Aurora Veil for Aurorus.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Gen 2 legendaries are all good. Raikou is probably my second favorite after Mewtwo.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The real problem with the banlists is that removing one mon causes others to become more centralizing without their easy checks. For instance, Breloom's in BL right now, but he'd fit nicely in a tier with Mega Gardevoir or Gallade in it. If I was Emperor Smogon I'd dump all the pokemon in BL back in to UU and restart the banning process.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Good night, sweet prince

Sucks too since it has so many bad matchups in UU. It actually was a better fit for OU since you could set it up as your Tapu killer, but it'll drop from UU before it rises.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Oh yeah, you can. It just dropped due to usage. I'm just saying it's more likely to drop from UU than get enough usage in OU. Then again, it dropped to UU previously and bounced back, so who can possibly say?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Pokemon Showdown is a fun game.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-705338660

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

There hasn't been a single generation where all three starters were mammals. Gens 5 and 7 are the only games where there are two mammal starters (6 could also count, but Chespin isn't really based on an animal).

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hawlucha :)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-711373609

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

They all have the same nose, although the tapir's is a little different being on a snout and all.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Enough generalities, let’s name names!

Gen 1 stinkers:
Pidgey family
Weepinbell
Golem
Farfetch’d (let’s be honest now)
Seel
Krabby
Lickitung
Goldeen and Seaking
Total: 11/151 ~ 7%

Gen 2 stinkers:
Ledyba and Ledian
Stantler
Total: 3/101 ~ 3%

Gen 3 stinkers:
Wurmple Family
Skitty and Delcatty
Volbeat and Illumise
Baltoy and Claydol
Kecleon
Castform
Total: 13/135 ~ 10%

Gen 4 stinkers:
Kricketot and Kricketune
Shinx Family
Shieldon and Bastiodon
Buneary and Lopunny (pre mega)
Stunky and Skuntank
Rhyperior
Lickilicky
Total: 13/107 ~ 12%

Gen 5 stinkers:
Snivy and Servine
Oshawatt and Samurott
Pignite and Emboar
Pidove family
Watchog
Elemental monkeys
Genies
Total: 19/156 ~ 12%

Gen 6 stinkers:
Aromatisse
Avalugg
Skrelp
Delphox
Frogadier
Trevenant
Litleo
Quilladin
Total: 8/72 ~ 11%

Generation 7 stinkers:
Fomantis
Hakamo-o
Shiintoic
Ultra Necrozma
Pheromosa
Total: 4.5/85 ~ 5%

For my money, Gens 2 and 7 are the most consistent, with very few bad designs, but very few standout great designs as well. Gens 4 and 5 are the opposite, with more horrible designs, but also some of the best designs in the entire series. Gen 6 has very few great Pokemon designs, but I think there are very few stinkers among the megas. And Gen 1 gives us a basis for comparison!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

oh dear, you seem to have forgotten every baby pokemon and most of the starters

I'll only give you Smoochum. Elekid is better than Electabuzz and while Magby isn't outstanding he's still all right. And all the Gen 2 starters are my friends and I love them equally.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

Ledian is a complete and total piece of trash despite looking rad as hell and having the best description "The Five-Star Pokemon" (so if you don't have one named Dennis, you're dead to me). It's just unusable even in-game unless you overlevel it like mad.

But lolol at the idea that only 3/101 gen 2 Pokemon suck. Half the drat generation is crappy, whether it be irredeemably bad stats on rad mons like poor Ledian.. or just the most boring Pokemon of their kind like Stantler. gently caress, okay, I'll type out my list, despite nobody caring.
Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium, Sentret/Furret, Hoothoot/Noctowl, Ledyba/Ledian, Spinarak/Ariados, Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Togepi/Togetic, Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff, Aipom, Sunkern/Sunflora, Yanma, Unown, Girafarig, Pineco, Dunsparce, Corsola, Remoraid, Delibird, Stantler, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby
That's what, 34/101? So fine, not half the generation, but 1/3.

What the gently caress is this! Check your work and try again.

I did forget Yanma and Remoraid

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Solumin posted:

It's kind of pointless to say which pokemon are terrible when some people are basing that on how well they do in battle and the others are judging based on looks.

Beedrill's an interesting pokemon to think about in that context. Its design is really great, but Gen 1 was designed so that you would abandon the Viridian Forest mons at a certain point. Its design was so good that it encouraged people to keep Beedrill longer than they should have, meaning that Beedrill is one of those rare pokemon that is too cool.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

less laughter posted:

Smogon tier changes for March 2018:

▲ Tornadus-Therian moved from BL to OU
▲ Altaria moved from PU to NU
▼ Shuckle moved from NU to PU
▲ Mamoswine moved from UU to OU
▼ Blastoise moved from RU to NU
▼ Lycanroc-Dusk moved from UU to RU
▲ Virizion moved from NU to RU

The age of the swine is over, the time of Gliscor has begun.

Countblanc posted:

aim's astroturfed tier manipulation is getting out of control

Did you see last month's tier change post on Smogon? People lost their loving minds.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlefactory-719080765

Battle Factory is really fun, mostly because you can get monotype random battles.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Well everyone and their mother gets access to ice beam. I love grass type Pokémon but the type itself isn't really good.

:negative:

Two of the best defensive pokemon in OU are grass types. A type having a bunch of weaknesses doesn't matter as much as having important resistances. Grass resists ground, water, and electric attacks, which are all super common and typically found on offensive threats.

Plasbad posted:

For Alolan Marowak you really need to give it a Thick Club, which you can steal off of wild Cubones using Thief. Thick Club doubles Marowak's attack stat right off the bat, making it's average attack actually pretty high. As far as moves go, in singles you'd probably want something like Shadow Bone, Flare Blitz, Bonemerang, and Swords Dance or Substitute make decent last moves since it has all the coverage it needs with the other three. If doubles, then Protect in the last slot.

More reliably, you can steal it off of Totem Marowak.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Wigglytuff OP: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-741173745

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hmmmm.

‘Pokemon Let’s Go! Pikachu’ and ‘Eevee’ Domains Registered!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Pidgey's line is the lamest bird line, The Nido's have okay final forms adn the others are trash. Ghastly line is criminally boring going from a Will-o-the-wisp style orb to a Smiling shadow. Drowsee is bad but Hypno is okay, Exxecute is bad I dunno why you chose it over its evo which is the actually good one. Jynx is very bad, Vaporeon is an ugly fish dog,

Aside from the first clause this is the worst post I've ever read on this forum.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Not saying I played this game particularly well, but I think it's still worth watching. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-755644968

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If Pokemon Let's Go are remakes of Pokemon Yellow, does that mean they'll include Jesse, James, and Meowth?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Gen 4 and 5 sprites for Tangrowth were great, but the Gen 6 sprite sucks.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I never want to hear anyone complain about Kricketune ever again: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-763055021.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Minior's HP stat absolutely kills it. If it was just something like 70/120/120 in defenses it would be much better.

I was going to say that the best way to use Minior is to hope your opponent forgets that it's immune to status when shields are up and that it learns EQ.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If you believe in your pokemon, they will never fail. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-768015860

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Pokemon is a fun game because you never know who's going to win. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-774114462

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If only the previous pokemon games had an easy way to ignore random encounters altogether...

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Dressing up and playing with Pikachu/Eevee seems to be the focus of the game anyway. I don't know why you'd bother playing the game if you're not going to do that.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Pokemon is a game of knowing your win condition and meeting it. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-850371303

The best part is that Dunsparce knew Roost.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 18, 2019

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Bugs Bunny rear end looking motherfucker

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Graphics are incredible, but the mon designs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Grookey's okay.