Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Just how many more Pokémon will Gen 7 introduce? Goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I don't begrudge the localization people with coming up with names because it's usually difficult to come up with a clever name while making sure its not already trademarked by someone else and doing it 9 times over in each language.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Crosspeice posted:

Phione is a dangerous threat, man.

I sometimes wonder if they'll ever create another Pokémon like Phione: One that's able to breed like any other Pokémon but it's only available via trading with others. Like if they created only one, gave it to someone and then that person bred it and traded the offspring and so on until it spread to nearly every player.

It's probably unlikely due to the fact that it'd be easy to just cheat for it if its already programmed into the game but it would be interesting to see.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Zore posted:

Between the Pokewalker, pokelympics giving easy stone access and the added safari zone it did mix up the pokedex quite a bit actually.

Like Murkrow and Houndor were available in Johto!

HGSS's Safari Zone was neat because it granted you access to so many Pokémon... The one issue I had with it is the fact that it takes an eternity to get the access to everything.

You need to arrange a space with a certain layout and wait 200 days for Gible to appear.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

A few days ago I managed to hatch a shiny Onix. I think the Gen VI games have been the only generation where a number of shinies I've obtained were from breeding. If I remember, there's a Helioptile, a Machop, a Feebas and now an Onix.

I think I may have found more then 30 shinies, not counting all the obviously hacked ones from wonder trade.

EDIT: From all my games from Ruby and Sapphire up to now.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 22, 2016

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Zore posted:

Later gens are not immune by any means though. Shiny Garchomp for instance.

They do make up for it by making their Mega evolutions have different colorations.

Shiny Mega Garchomp is still gross-looking though.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Zore posted:

Will shiny Alolan Ninetales be yellow?

That would be a fun way to play mindgames with people since their models are probably the closest of the Alolan/Normal forms.

I do wonder how the species clause that most battling formats follow will deal with Alolan forms, as they're so different from the regular forms that they function like different Pokémon. Would you be able to use an Alolan Ninetales alongside its regular counterpart in an official match?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Zoness posted:

Also wobbo but he's really a gen 3 pokemon since he's nothing without shadow tag.

What about Granbull who wasn't much until Gen 6 made it a fairy type?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Every generation has its good designs and ideas and every generation has bad designs and ideas. It isn't really fair to lump them all by generation.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Geostomp posted:

This "minigame" is about as underwhelming as a real sea cucumber, but 20000 Poke-bucks ain't bad.

It is a bit unusual that you're given that high an amount for something so simple. Does this mean that you're not able to re-battle trainers on routes? Many of the later games that don't have this option have alternate ways of making cash. Gen 5 had all that vendor trash that could be sold for absurd prices to the right NPCs who are willing to buy them. Is this Gen 7's solution?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I hope Team Skull is just as amusing as Archie and Team Aqua was in Alpha Sapphire.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Now that I'm using it, I have to bump Farfetch'd out of my top six favorites. I'm not sure what replaces it but nothing this weak can have such a central place in my heart

Being almost useless is kind of Farfetch'd's main shtick (or stick as it were).

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Remember when everyone thought there must be M-Farchet'd because a guy at the start of the game will trade you one, and why else would they draw attention to it?

Because the start of the X and Y game is literally the only place where Farfetch'd could be of any use. Especially since the first gym leader uses Bug types.

Its stats are hot garbage compared to other fully evolved Pokémon, but its one of the stronger choices at the very beginning of the game where you have access to a few species and they all have yet to evolve (although wondertrade can bust leveling progression wide open). After beating the first gym, you gain access to an entire slew of options and Farfetch'd can be boxed forever.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Its a bit odd how entire orders (like scorpions) or even an entire class (such as the case with Corsola) may only be represented by a single Pokémon while other times, a single species may be represented by several families (like all the Pokémon based on the domestic cat).

What a world.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Calaveron posted:

How loving cool was it when you figured out you could stink bomb that magikarp into that waterfall and get a huge loving gyarados roaring right in your face for a great picture

It's too bad it'll never happen again since there will never be a Pokémon Snap 2. Nor any more Stadium games, or Pokémon Ranger games.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

FishBulb posted:

If it follows the pattern Nintendo will give away codes for it in a couple months if you sign up for the newsletter

Have they released a newsletter with the Darkrai code yet?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I'm willing to bet that Pokémon that have been transferred from the Gen I virtual console games will have their hidden abilities (No Guard isn't a hidden ability on the Machop line).

EDIT: Abilities are determined by a value that's independent from IV values. Pokémon abilities are set up so that one slot has one ability and if the species can have another, then that'll be filled with that second ability. In Gen V, a third slot was added for hidden abilities.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 27, 2016

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I still find it a bit nuts that Numel and Camerupt can potentially have 7 abilities: Oblivous, Simple and Own Tempo for Numel, Magma Armor, Solid Rock and Anger Point for standard Camerupt and Sheer Force for Mega Camerupt.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Abilities aren't that complicated in the first place. It's just another element to add depth to Pokémon's battle system. Most Pokémon have 1 of 2 regular abilities and a hidden 3rd ability that's supposed to be obtained via special means. Heck, with the ability capsule you now have at least some agency over which of the two regular abilities a given Pokémon can have.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

Be super fat and carry a ukulele, serenade people with Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

It would be really nice if there was an area like Village Bridge in Black and White where there are a bunch of NPCs who you can talk to and they add to the background music.

Other kinds of callbacks would be nice as well.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 29, 2016

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I think Dunsparce is a cool Pokémon and I'd love to see them do something with it in the future (since it seems like we won't be seeing anything regarding it in Gen 7).

It's in the same category as Farfetch'd: Non-evolving Pokémon with garbage stats but they have a great bit of lore behind it that adds to the world-building.

EDIT: Hmm... It seems like Dunsparce was designed by the same artist who came up with Wobbuffet, Celebi, Deoxys and Magmortar.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 29, 2016

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I do think that Drampa is like Mudsdale and Bewear in that it has to evolve from something. It's really huge and it would be ridiculous if it was just a single stage. Tortunator must be another.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I'd like a way to adjust your IV so the stat can be at zero, which would be most helpful for Trick Room teams.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I don't think the Gen II garbage mons are forgettable since they're the most cited Pokémon that are known for being garbage.

The real most forgettable Pokémon is Simisear: Not only is it an elemental monkey (that no one particularly likes since they have all the makings of truly crappy Pokémon) but it also has to compete with the Chimchar line (an actual starter and the most popular of the Gen IV starters) and the Darumaka line.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Spatula City posted:

what fits that criteria?

Luvdisc probably.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

The great tragedy of not getting Pokemon Z is that we didn't get a version of that big sundial dedicated to the cover legendary.

Or, in other words, a Zygarde Clock.

If I recall, one of the NPCs in that town supposes that there must be a moondial or a structure similar to the Anistar sundial somewhere in the world or something.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I hope that all the Pokémon I've bred in the Gen VI games don't become obsolete in Sun and Moon. I mean, I know they probably will since movepool tweaks are bound to happen and new egg moves will probably become the new staples, but I can hope right :smith:

Anyway, has anyone made a tally of all the old Pokémon that appeared in Sun and Moon trailers yet? They might be clues to who isn't getting Alolan forms.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

One could argue that hacked shinies undermine the specialness of shinies in general.

That being said, I do appreciate the hacked 6IV shiny Ditto named "KimKardashian" that I got from wondertrade. While I technically don't rely on it for all my breeding, it's a godsend for genderless Pokémon.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Zore posted:

Someone at Gamefreak had a design they wanted to use probably.

Why is Audino the only Gen V pokemon to get one? Why did Glalie, Medicham and Banette get them?

Why did Beedrill get one and not Butterfree?

:shrug:

Also, Pidgeot was the worst of the 3-stage trashbirds while also being the iconic Gen 1 bird. Talonflame is amazing, Staraptor is legit good and Unfezant is at least decent (It gets Hypnosis which is kinda neat, and its attack is good).

Pidgeot was hot garbage.

The big joke is that Mega Evolution did little to actually make them stand out.

Mega Audino gains Healer, the subpar ability that regular Audino already has. Medicham is just regular Medicham squared. Glalie and Banette were given interesting gimmicks but requires dying to use effectively (Banette gets a Prankster Destiny Bond while Glalie has a Refrigerated Explosion). Even Pidgeot is gimped because of its crummy movepool and No Guard letting it get hit by things like Stone Edge.

Beedrill benefited from Mega Evolution the most since regular Beedrill wasn't worth using beforehand.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Redeye Flight posted:

Zoroark. I don't know, but I don't think so either.

Zoroark and Zorua are kind of a sad case. Game Freak really wanted to recreate Lucario's popularity so they made another bipedal canine and made them super rare in Black and White. In order to actually get one of each in your game, you needed to transfer special legendaries like Celebi and Shiny Legendary Beasts from the Gen 4 games through a special method exclusively for these Pokémon and activate events with them in Black and White.

Then at some point they must have realized that the only Pokémon that could fill Lucario's shoes was Lucario itself. So later games came out, Riolu and Lucario got more and more prominent (you can catch wild Riolu before your first badge in Black 2, White 2, X and Y) while Zoroark and Zorua got more and more "common". They were "demoted" from special event requiring legendaries (Black and White) to being given to as a gift (Black 2 and White 2) to being available in the wild late game (X and Y) to being available on the first route after unlocking the national dex (Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire).

Wow that's a lot of words for Pokémon I don't really care for that much.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Geostomp posted:

They were really trying to make it take Lucario's place hard. Even replacing the Lucario character in their Sunday kid's show with a Zoroark for a while, but then they saw it just wasn't working out and Zoroark got dropped like a hot potato. Good thing too as we'd be getting bipedal dogs each Gen just like the Electric rodents if it had worked.

Then again, they've been hyping Rockruff a lot. They mentioned that it has a special connection to the starter Pokémon and it apparently has a special evolution. With all the rumors that it'll become a werewolf, I wouldn't be surprised if they hype Rockruff's family as Gen 7's answer to Lucario and Zoroark.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I'd like to train an Abomasnow, but is it worth the effort to obtain a Soundproof Snover or should I just go with a regular Snow Warning one? It'll be mega evolving.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Normal types contain some very weird Pokémon. Ditto, Castform, Smeargle and even Arceus are all Normal typed despite being the strangest Pokémon out there.

UB-01 is a strange thing though. Where did it come from? I want to say it came from Giratina's dimension.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

The way UB-01 is described (people are unsure if it counts as a Pokémon, basic survival instincts but no sapience, supposed to be many of them, has a body shape that's based on an invertabrte) almost reminds me of Zygarde Cell.

Maybe UB-01 is the same kind of thing and many of them can combine to form a massive creature. Although the fact that UB-01 is about the size of a person makes me imagine that the creature it can combine with is massive... Perhaps massive enough to block the Sun or Moon perhaps?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I don't want any spray-tanned people. Especially in my Pokémon game.

As for Oak, I suppose people find it strange for him to appear in this game since it's been several years since his last appearance in a Pokémon game (I think it was Diamond/Pearl/Platinum?) and he was already fairly old in the Gen 1 games. Shouldn't he be at or over 80 by now?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I wonder if it means that they'll properly resize Wailord...

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Space T Rex posted:

Can we call Ash's dad dead? I think its time.

He can't be dead, we just saw him in that trailer a page or two ago :shepface:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Zore posted:

Still not totally sure why he's a dragon.

It might be related to the Dracaena genus of plants. They kinda resemble palm trees (but not that closely related to them). They are known as dragon trees. Or it might be related to Dragon fruit.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

Alola has a surprise for you!

E: I wonder if the Pokemon that only have an evolved Alolan forme will go Alola if they're transferred from another game.

Alolan Exeggutor are said grow tall in Alola due to the increased sunlight compared to other regions, so I'm guessing that that it works like a region-wide Ice/Mossy Rock or magnetic area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

The Lake Guardians being psychic types make sense since they're supposed to represent elements of the spirit... or mind if you will.

I'm still a little annoyed that Snorunt and Glalie weren't made part fairy in the process. Although there aren't that many pure ice types to begin with.