Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Raymond Deville

Ray goes to help in trying to get the door open, but he was still somewhat distracted and didn't provide a lot of help.

Strength open door 1d8o8; 1d6o6 1, 3 uh wow.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Turning back to the door, Felix wipes sweat from his brow as he considers the lock.

"Step asides, fellows! I'll just take my handy knife and core out the lock!"

He goes to it with gusto. If he can just get the mechanism clear, hopefully the door will swing clear!

lockpickin 2: 1d4o4 1 1d6o6 5

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Frustrated, Simon pushes the distracted Raymond aside, holding the cleaver high in the air, and taking aim right at the lock that the drunk fellow is currently gutting with a pocket knife, he bellows at him to get clear then brings down the cleaver with force.

With a loud thunk, half the lock clatters to the ground.

Lock bash more: 1d8o8 1 1d6o6 8

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

What a Surprise, The Authorities Arrive Late

With LeSquide and Geektox delivering the last two successes, the Dramatic Challenge is Complete and some people can be rescued! Feel good about yourselves.

Felix managed to scrub some of the tumblers before Simon just hacks it away - along with half of the lock.

The other half falls with a *clunk* and the door freely opens, revealing what used to be a freezer that's now about three-fourths on fire, and five people inside. Screaming, they quickly run out of the freezer, then scream again because the rest of the kitchen is also burning, until someone points out the exit. With the blaze getting really bad, it's time to beat feet outta here.

The firefighters and ambulances have finally arrived, cops have set up a cordon to keep onlookers safely away, and the blaze is being dealt with. But there's still some nagging questions as Chicago's Bravest deal with the fire...

Felix: what was with that fireball you saw earlier?
Simon: The waitress you all rescued said something about a Bluebeard before the fire. That's unusual.
Ray: You fought a burning thing. That's not normal.

With the firefighters and cops busy, perhaps it's time to get a couple answers...

Congrats everyone, you saved a good chunk of the night. Now feel free to interact, do whatever, maybe ask some questions - maybe it's time to investigate.

Also, everyone gets a free Fate Chip.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
"We saved a whole lotta lives, fellows! Good work, good work...but you know..." Felix leans conspiratorially towards Raymond, "This wasn't a natural fire, if you get what I'm saying. Flaming men, lil' running fiery orbs...there's ill fortune a-foot!'

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

"Yes, and why would they target a meat shop?" Robert chimes in, looking pensive.

He suddenly looks up to his newfound comrades-the tramp, the guy that reminds him of a brick, and the oriental fella, Steven.

"Who would have a suit that would allow a man to walk around on fire?" He then makes a small motion towards the firemen behind him battling the blaze. "Perhaps there's been a theft within the fire department, or a disgruntled employee that could be suspect."

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
"The waitress I talked to, she said she never saw who could've started the fire, but heard a funny sound before it happened. Something about a Bluebeard? Any of you fellas heard of such a thing?"

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
"No, but I think I'll try askin' around!"
Felix circulates amongst the erstwhile restaurant patrons, asking solicitously after their health...and softly probing to see if they saw anything strange, or know anything about this Bluebeard.

Rolls!
Talking to folks: 1d4o4 3 1d6o6 2

Urgh. Spending a bennie to reroll:
Talking to folks, the reroll: 1d4o4 2 1d6o6 3

annnnnd it looks like Felix's folksy ways don't go over well after a major fire.

LaSquida fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 13, 2016

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

"I don't recall anything about a blue beard. How intriguing. Where is this waitress? Perhaps you can ask her to clarify," Robert says. "Meanwhile I'll search the area for anything suspicious." The Man Of Action is rearing to go again.

Notice roll to find clues: 3, w 1 -- awful. i have a benny to use for a reroll, don't i?

re-roll: 2, w 10 -- if i don't ignore this i guess

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 14, 2016

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Of Beards And Questions

Felix and Robert ask the crowd for questions. Sadly for Felix, he only gets puzzled stares when he asks about a blue beard song.

Robert also gets a few glances about facial hair, but he does spot something off by the alley - large tire tracks. Like a big truck what recently pulled out of there. And what do you know - someone did mention seeing a exterminator's truck parked in the alleyway before the blaze.

Upmarket Mango's reroll works and scores him a clue with a raise! Feel free to deduct one benny.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Upon discovering the tire tracks in the alley, the Man Of Action squats into action and begins analyzing them with his MIND. From his brain's squirming and flexing, he recalls hearing of an exterminator's truck parked in the alley next to the meat shop. How suspicous that an exterminator would visit a business while it was still open for the day. Surely they weren't there to spray! Perhaps they grabbed a delicous pulled pork sandwhich, but then why would they burn rubber peeling out of the alley in an apparent rush? To find out he would have to find the truck but that required knowing which company to which it belongs. Perhaps somebody in the crowd knows...

The Man Of Action suddenly DASHES out of the alley, his powerful muscular legs carrying him like a proud lion as he hurtles towards the unsuspecting crowd.

persuasion roll: 2, w 5 -- robert is asking people if they saw the exterminator truck and what company it was from

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

If You Can't Truck It...

The crowd was started to leave as the firefighters put out the last of the flames, but Robert did get word that the truck had "VERMIN"-something on the sides.

The fire is dead, the crowd starts to dissipate. The firefighters and cops start venturing into the remains of the restaurant as cordons push the crowds away. Nobody wants to see people haul out burnt remains, right?

Nothing left but ash and corpses. But thanks to you four, some people got to live another day. A little spark of light in this mess.

But what caused this? So far, you got some clues. Tomorrow, hunt for more.

The game is afoot, as some Brit would say.

Congrats on the burning building job, everyone. Consider this the end of Act One. Go ahead and do some narration for what you're doing for the rest of the night, and your morning routine.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Robert shares the clues he found with the rest of the group and vows to look further into the matter. He mentions that he can be reached by leaving a message with the receptionist in the Administration Office at the University of Chicago, so long as they're addressed to William Malaise.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Felix tips his hat to Robert and the others, and then goes off to dissolve himself in Chicago's illicit nightlife. If he finds anything out there, he can tell the others in the morning...and if not, well, everyone will have a good time. There's spirits to raise and spirits to sell!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Raymond Deville

Ray nods. "Meet you in the morning, I feel like this isn't over."

Then he heads out into the night. Walking the streets, looking for any exterminators with a name beginning with Vermin. Stopping to get something to eat. Eventually he finds a place to hunker down for a few hours while he goes as still as death.

I just realized how hard it is going to be to pickle a harrowed during the prohibition. Ray might start to stink.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Old Nights, New Dawn

And so the gang of heroes head their separate paths for the night, for things still to do and eventually a good nights sleep (except for the nightmare trip for poor Ray).

The sun comes up on a city recovering from a nasty fire. And four men wake up (or "re-animate", for a certain someone).

New morning, new day. But the same problem from last night - the fire, and it's cause. Was this a one time blaze, or are hot times still in store for the old town tonight?

Time to hit the streets.

For investigating things, you can use Investigate for book-learning/library combing, or Streetwise for asking for questions. Since this is Noir, two other options come into play if you need more detailed research: Hitting the Books (Investigate) and Legwork (Streetwise). You'll get the clues you need, but it'll cost you in time, money (and maybe a slap or two).

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Felix
Felix is up and about at an unlikely hour for a habitual drinker, but there's a mystery to be solvin'! He heads across the city, easy manner and free booze hopefully helping the local open up to him.

Streetwise attempt
Streetwise for Clues: 1d6o6 1 1d6o6 17
I will, uh, go with that 17.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

...Yeah, that's going to be a pass. I'm going to hold up on what Felix finds out until others chime in (unless nobody posts by tomorrow evening, then I'll post the clues).

But feel good, you took a few big steps towards cracking the case.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

After Robert departed he headed straight to the University of Chicago (he has a key, courtesy of William) where he spent the night reading everything the library had on automobiles and their tires, as well as researching the various exterminator companies in Chicago.

investigation roll - 4 w 3 -- i spent a benny for this result.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

The Morning Crew

Felix and Robert hit the streets and books, respectively, looking for information and clues.

* Robert deducts the general size of the truck, believing it to be the size of a standard delivery van. He also locates five companies with the name "Vermin" in the title: Verminators, Vermin Extermination Inc., De-Verminators, Vermin Control, and Ex-Vermin-Ators.
* Felix lucks out and manages to find one of the onlookers from the fire last night. The chap had a good eye and memory, and recalled seeing a truck with "De-Verminators" on the side before the blaze.

Looks like these two found some clues.

Go ahead and talk about meeting up and make some plans.

Also, thanks for I Am Just A Box in irc chat for exterminator name ideas.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The Man Of Action, after a night of intensive research, hits the streets with a list of names for various exterminator companies. He hadn't received any messages from his comrades at the fire, leading him to believe he's the only one still interested in tracking down the culprits. Robert is unfazed by this, though, and he begins his hunt by going to Verminators. His plan is to go to each business on the list and ask if any of their vehicles have gone missing.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
After a brief break for lunch and Felix decides to try and leave a message for Robert at the U of C. He seemed like the person to follow this up with!

• Locked thread