Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

That's some tasty looking fuel.

iwentdoodie posted:

Did that.

Thankfully no scars to prove it.

Was yours also on a VW?

no it was on the kart as it was still inside the van with me fiddling with both the fuel lines and the valve for the compressor. Having one of the lines pop out of the jerry can pissing fuel everywhere at the start wasn't as bad as the realization that I was pretty much vaporizing the gas in an enclosed space as I got to the bottom of the tank.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Tank spontaneously expanded, I assume?

Yeah this was another afterthought that fuel tanks don't usually operate on positive pressure and it could've ended very badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Been there, done that, still have a 6 gallon can of disgusting first-morning-piss colored gas in my garage because what the gently caress do you do with it?

We thought about sticking it in a metal bucket and burning it off but after a small scale experiment in a tin can realized that would have been an astronomically stupid idea.

If you are in the US, pretty much every municipality/county has a hazardous waste disposal site where you can bring stuff like old gas and get rid of it. You might have to pay a nominal fee.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

1500quidporsche posted:

no it was on the kart as it was still inside the van with me fiddling with both the fuel lines and the valve for the compressor. Having one of the lines pop out of the jerry can pissing fuel everywhere at the start wasn't as bad as the realization that I was pretty much vaporizing the gas in an enclosed space as I got to the bottom of the tank.

Yeah this was another afterthought that fuel tanks don't usually operate on positive pressure and it could've ended very badly.

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah, gasoline vapour and a healthy supply of fresh air in a sealed container is a recipe for reminding you of the fleeting nature of life.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Can we somehow get this set as the description of AI in the main forum listing?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

His improvised fuel containment procedure certainly was NSFW

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Also I know it's technically not the same year but please do this

:allears:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

There's one of those for sale in the next little town over. Rusty as gently caress and the guy wants six grand, though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

leica posted:

Also I know it's technically not the same year but please do this

:allears:

It's not even the same car. That's a Spirit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's a '79, and Google says this is a 1978 AMC Spirit AMX:

But also showing it as a Concord so idk.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

$700. 1979. 4 Speed. 4.2L. LOUVRED. Spirit. AMX.

Concord or Spirit?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 22, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'm pretty sure it's a Concord. All the little things (grille, that bar over the roof, rear quarter shape, tail lights) look like a concord, not a spirit. Besides, wiki says the Spirit wasn't a thing until 1979.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i was given wrong info picking It up its titled as a 1978 Concord AMX

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Huh, I was wondering why the front end wasn't quite right for the year. I just figured someone put the prettier 78 front end on it for you. Once again, an AMC product turns into a confusing mess and isn't quite what you thought you were getting into. Don't worry, it's part of the experience.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Pham Nuwen posted:

Been there, done that, still have a 6 gallon can of disgusting first-morning-piss colored gas in my garage because what the gently caress do you do with it?

Mix it 50/50 with good gas and run it in a lawnmower. They'll run on anything.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh btw that 12" Alpine is going In the AMX.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

Pham Nuwen posted:

We thought about sticking it in a metal bucket and burning it off but after a small scale experiment in a tin can realized that would have been an astronomically stupid idea.

So why didn't you do it?

Just sayin....

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kaptainballistik posted:

So why didn't you do it?

Just sayin....

We watched a few ounces burn in the coffee can for 15 minutes before we finally got bored and stuck a license plate over the top to quench it. Neither of us wanted to sit around and babysit a loving 4 gallon gasoline fire on a windy evening.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I think stale gas still makes a good degreaser, throw some in a covered bucket with some greasy poo poo and see what happens.
e: the problem with burning it is you need to figure out how to atomize it first, otherwise it's just a disproportionately large amount of fire for the amount of fuel involved.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 23, 2016

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

Pham Nuwen posted:

We watched a few ounces burn in the coffee can for 15 minutes before we finally got bored and stuck a license plate over the top to quench it. Neither of us wanted to sit around and babysit a loving 4 gallon gasoline fire on a windy evening.

That's just a lame excuse.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Back in my young and stupid days we dumped a mason jar worth of JP4 (jet fuel) on a bonfire to light it. Dude that lit it burned all the hair off his face :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Tommychu posted:

I think stale gas still makes a good degreaser, throw some in a covered bucket with some greasy poo poo and see what happens.
e: the problem with burning it is you need to figure out how to atomize it first, otherwise it's just a disproportionately large amount of fire for the amount of fuel involved.

One of these, with a hose stuck onto the end of the pick up tube and stuck in the bucket of gas.

Plus one of these:

Clamped to a board in alignment solves that problem.

Aim away from face.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's is my life it is now or never

I got my blood lab results in. Physically, I am in some of the finest shape of my life. My body, a temple to swiss watchmaking. My mind,though, Dachau.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You need some sort of roadtrip, some sort of experience and time away from your current grind. You need to change the environment you're attempting to function in.

You need to get rid of that loving camaro.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
To wit, this shop in Minnesota is hiring and is a Very Good Shop. We are very nice here and have a wonderful health care system.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

scuz posted:

To wit, this shop in Minnesota is hiring and is a Very Good Shop. We are very nice here and have a wonderful health care system.

I was going to be angry at you for suggesting a lifetime west coaster move to the Minnesota tundra in August, but they have a turbocat logo and a frowny face check engine light.

I can't hate that.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Slung Blade posted:

I was going to be angry at you for suggesting a lifetime west coaster move to the Minnesota tundra in August, but they have a turbocat logo and a frowny face check engine light.

I can't hate that.

It ain't even tundra weather yet! And along with the lack of homeless people everywhere you look, we also don't have moss growing on everything, and we have smaller bugs that all die every year.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slung Blade posted:

I can't hate that.

quote:

Try Richard @ Tow Time – 612-501-1815, but if he is being grump/crabby you can also call Schmidt Towing – 763-253-1568

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
They're a flat-rate shop, too, directly up 14's alley, as far as I know. Oh, don't forget to check out their used cars for sale.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

scuz posted:

Actually we're pretty well known for being unwelcoming to newcomers.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
During Art-A-Whirl 2 years ago (a spring time art/beer celebration in the NE Minneapolis district), Turbo-Tim was drunkenly yelling from the passenger seat of his Kaiser as it was monster-trucked over junked-cars in his parking-lot.

They also had a shop catte and turbo LS volvo 242 at various points.

Good guys imo

edit; Vaguely AMX related..I've wanted to build an AMC turbo six in the same vein as Barney Navarro's. De-stroked 4.0l using a 199ci crank and modern fuel management should fix where Barney's team failed.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 23, 2016

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I ran some numbers assuming still firestoned, on current meds.  And adderall, if we had Avoided this whole thing and properly medicated me all along instead of whipping out your I'm the doc not you dick. $460/ month not including insurances cut. And that doesnt include counselling, dental, medical, therapy sessions, tools, my knee, my car breaking downgas, food, rent, smokes, and a bad week pay 60 hours on my feet to take home 30@$19.50/hr pre tax.

Eventually you save $200 a month by switching to meth and root canals are free if your balls are hard enough.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Eventually you save $200 a month by switching to meth and root canals are free if your balls are hard enough.

:stonklol:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

14 BAR RIFF posted:

But unlike the health care system, meth will kill you outright! Or at least get you convinced that your skin is packed to bursting with worms or whatever. I guess what I'm trying to say is meth is bad.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This is what it took to get prescribed 4 capsules of Tylenol 3

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Good, and about time.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Now that someone else did the final digging at your loving jaw, do we need to get you a cone around your neck so you don't scratch out the stitches?

Seriously though, glad you got that poo poo taken care of.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Cakefool posted:

You need some sort of roadtrip, some sort of experience and time away from your current grind. You need to change the environment you're attempting to function in.

You need to get rid of that loving camaro.

If only he had some sort of cross country road trip planned in a few months. :v:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Did you scream "Candy bar!" While they were doing that? Missed opportunity if not.

Seriously though, drat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
gently caress that.

• Locked thread