Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

and as we all know all psychoses manifest in the exact same way so you are clearly the pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

I too am mentally ill only because I choose to be, and could stop doing so anytime want.

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

OMGVBFLOL posted:

have you considered the possibility that experiences different to your own exist

it's a rhetorical question, it's obvious the answer is no

It's possible, but it would strike me as a rather radical divergence for some people to have less free will than me. Especially since that feels like a foundational part of being human. Besides which, evidence to the contrary can be explained away by motive. But you're right, my claim was too extreme. It should come down to psychologist's assessment. I just don't respect the view that severe mental illness necessarily leads to loss of control. I think it's another example of deterministic victim-of-fate narratives that are destroying the character of modern society.

Turdo posted:

I too am mentally ill only because I choose to be, and could stop doing so anytime want.

*shrug* People do hallucinogens voluntarily, and that's basically temporary mental illness. So it's less strange than you make it sound.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
hey guys a totally real doctor once was like BAM you got the crazy, and that basically makes me Doctor Psychiatry, MD, PhD, let me lay out some brilliant teenage pop psychology insights nobody has ever had before

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
goddamnit he used his crazy "idiot savant" powers to quote me before i could edit my post, maybe he really is god's gift to all medical science

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
Sorry I keep shitposting guys, I can't help it lol

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Doctor of Divinity

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

DrowningInDreams posted:

*shrug* People do hallucinogens voluntarily, and that's basically temporary mental illness. So it's less strange than you make it sound.

I was being completely honest.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

DrowningInDreams posted:

this feel i get

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
this girl takes the fall but the real killer, slenderman, is still out there.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Concerned Citizen posted:

it's the surprise fourth act of every murder mystery/horror movie

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

DrowningInDreams posted:

youre still wrong and you feel the need to be right

another kind of mental illness imo

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Refractory Colon posted:

youre still wrong and you feel the need to be right

another kind of mental illness imo

Did you read the post just before that one? Is even that position wrong? Why?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Concerned Citizen posted:

justice4trayvon

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

DrowningInDreams posted:

Did you read the post just before that one? Is even that position wrong? Why?

hallucinogens for the most part cause visual hallucinations which are not the same thing as, though can be a component of, schizophrenia htth

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Blue Train posted:

hallucinogens for the most part cause visual hallucinations which are not the same thing as, though can be a component of, schizophrenia htth

Alright that's fair. And I guess I indicated the wrong post. I meant the one where I admitted I was wrong and said that some mental illness might be debilitating but that severe mental illness isn't automatically debilitating.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

oh that's a fair enough point there are different manifestations, that's why they usually have people who are using that defense examined by a number of doctors to determine whether their condition influenced their actions

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Blue Train posted:

i dont think you know what youre talking about re hallucinogens tbh

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Viruswithshoes posted:

Slender Man case: Morgan Geyser, 14, in not guilty insanity plea

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37141286

"Eric Knudsen from Florida created the character in response to a call for submissions from the online forum SomethingAwful and posted the picture of the figure behind a crowd of people."

Slenderman is from loving Florida? No wonder he's a loving dick. He had to deal with Florida Man.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So is victor surge rich for this poo poo or what.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

XMNN posted:

i dont think you know what youre talking about re hallucinogens tbh

man there's so fuckin many and they vary so much even between the same drug. I've had acid that gave me serious mindfuck and i could barely function and other batches that I only got visuals. some of the rcs gave me no visuals and only mindfuck. then youve got poo poo like dmt where you can completely lose touch with reality. my point was you don't get auditory hallucinations really or voices telling you to do poo poo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

like id compare high dmt plateaus or k holes to schizophrenia before lsd I dunno

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Insanity pleas almost never work. You have to prove a history of mental illness and then prove that you were completely unable to control yourself with regards to the severity of your crime.

Plus even when they do work, you aren't walking free, you're going to crazy jail. I mean if you have a schizophrenic episode and decide that smashing mailboxes with your car is the only way to stop the people from spying on you, you may just get some court mandated counseling and go home, but the second you injure or kill somebody you're going to be locked up somewhere, either a prison or hospital.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Is Lowtax gonna get sued again since it came from here? :ohdear:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

yea I always wondered where the idea that you're getting off by going to the mental hospital until they say you are well enough to leave. at least with prison you have a somewhat definite time period

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I'd be much more likely to believe insanity if she insisted she was competent to stand trial because Slenderman is real.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

There were two of them, though, and their ages add up to 28 so I guess it's fair to try them as adults.

They were only 12 when they did it, but I guess that still adds up to 24.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just think of you were still allowed to but "56k don't click" on threads maybe taht girl wouldnt have clicked on the slenderman images thread, and maybe that other kid would still be alive. way to go, mods. you got a kid killed.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

GORDON posted:

Just think of you were still allowed to but "56k don't click" on threads maybe taht girl wouldnt have clicked on the slenderman imaes thread, and maybe that other kid would still be alive. way to go, mods. you got a kid killed.

She probably would have thought of some other reason like some emo video.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

blood for the blood mods

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
maybe if you were still allowed to suggest that people slip themselves their mortal coil that crazy girl would have done so, and the kid she murdered would still be alive.

blood for the mod bloods.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Blue Train posted:

yea I always wondered where the idea that you're getting off by going to the mental hospital until they say you are well enough to leave. at least with prison you have a somewhat definite time period

Especially if you killed somebody. You aren't going to convince a doctor you're healthy enough to leave a year after you get there.

"Well doc, I know I was mentally unstable enough to commit a murder, but this year in the mental hospital really cleared things up. Thanks for having me!"

You're gonna be there for a very long time.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Some folks call it a knife, I call it a slender blade

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I'd say her chances of getting a not guilty verdict are slender :grin:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Some folks call it a knife, I call it a slender blade

I see you've played knifey bladey before

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Thin Privilege posted:

I see you've played knifey bladey before

you guys we are blessed we are posting with one of the writers of family guy

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

imo she should not have stabbed that other kid

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Celluloid Sam posted:

you guys we are blessed we are posting with one of the writers of family guy

I see you've never watched Simpsons before

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Thin Privilege posted:

I see you've never watched Simpsons before

so you're agreeing that the simpsons did it first but guess what you still are a family guy writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Khorne posted:

GBS you guys need to be better ambassadors for the influx of people checking out the forums.

• Locked thread