Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Inspector 34 posted:

I had the 8th pick and ended up keeping Dez. I tried to change this but keepers were already locked. My thinking was that at the 8th pick Dez would almost certainly be there anyway, so there's no reason for me to keep him and every reason to keep my options open. But again, keepers had already locked.

8 - Dez
20 - Brandon Marshal
29 - Keenan Allen
44 - Jordan Reed
53 - Chris Ivory
68 - Deangello Williams
77 - Bort
92 - Forsett
101 - Shepard
116 - Aiken
125 - Gostkowski
140 - Javorious
149 - Packers D/ST
164 - Alfred Morris
173 - Kenny Stills
188 - CJ2K

I hadn't looked at the draft recap until just now and man, it's ugly. Knowing what my weaknesses are now and the players that were available at the time I think round 4-6 is where I just completely hosed up. Here are some of the players that were still available at each of those draft picks, obviously things would have changed if my decisions were different but for the sake of 20/20 hindsight I probably should have taken any of the following guys:

4th Round - Demarco Murray, Latavius Murray, Jeremy Langford, Melvin Gordon, Frank Gore
5th Round - Frank Gore, Giovani Bernard, Derrick Henry, TJ Yeldon
6th Round - Arian Foster, Danny Woodhead

After that I think many or all of the people I ended up with would still be there for the taking except for Jordan Reed. Ugh, this is going to be a long season for this team. I think that if I can trade one of my receivers for a true RB1 I might be alright. Seems like people are really averse to trading before the season even starts though, so hopefully one of Dez, Marshall, or Allen will score a billion points in week 1 so I can score a good RB.

edit: Rounds 7 & 8 were also real dumb. Instead of Bort I could have still have taken Woodhead or Jennings, in fact Woodhead was still there when I grabbed Forsett. Ugh, what a stupid idiot I was, I mean I was drinking that evening but I was nowhere near drunk enough to use that as an excuse.

See I think rounds 4 and 6 were two of your strongest. Reed in 4th is a steal, even in a non keeper. Deangelo williams is like #1 RB for a RBzero strategy.

I think this could definitely make the playoffs, you just got to manage it a lot more than usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Drunk Nerds posted:

Reed in 4th is a steal, even in a non keeper.

I've given tons of bad advice in these threads, and I've yet to say something this actively malicious.

Come on, get it together. You never know who we're impacting on this forum, guys.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Drunk Nerds posted:

See I think rounds 4 and 6 were two of your strongest. Reed in 4th is a steal, even in a non keeper. Deangelo williams is like #1 RB for a RBzero strategy.

I think this could definitely make the playoffs, you just got to manage it a lot more than usual

Thanks for saying so, I felt pretty good about most of these picks in the moment, but looking back at the draft recap all I see are missed opportunities for people I'd prefer to have on my roster. I think you're right about making the playoffs though, as bad as I feel about my draft right now I was far from the worst and have a few teams I can target for trades to bolster my RB situation.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I've given tons of bad advice in these threads, and I've yet to say something this actively malicious.

Come on, get it together. You never know who we're impacting on this forum, guys.

Lol I actively dislike reed, and have him on none of my teams, but if he comes to me after pick 40 (41 in this example, factoring in keepers he's 50+. Find me ANY PPR ranking that has him that low, or even 10 picks earlier, I dare you) I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat. Just gotta make plans for when his melon gets inevitably juiced

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 31, 2016

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

I'm not sure what to think about this draft (12 team 0 PPR) but I feel like I did about as well as I could have given my draft spot (11):

11 Rob Gronkowski, NE TE
14 Le'Veon Bell, Pit RB
35 Demaryius Thomas, Den WR
38 Carlos Hyde, SF RB
59 Golden Tate, Det WR
62 Giovani Bernard, Cin RB
83 Matt Jones, Wsh RB
86 Allen Hurns, Jax WR
107 Isaiah Crowell, Cle RB
110 Blake Bortles, Jax QB
131 Tyler Boyd, Cin WR
134 Terrance West, Bal RB
155 Rishard Matthews, Ten WR
158 Shane Vereen, NYG RB
179 Rams D/ST D/ST
182 Mason Crosby, GB K

The other line of drafting I can see would be to have taken Freeman, Green, D. Thomas, and Reed in the first 4 rounds instead, but who knows if it would have actually played out that way and I think I like the way this turned out better. Bell is a tough pill to swallow but I tried to get some RB depth to get me through the first 3 weeks.

Butter Hole fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 31, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Butter Hole posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about this draft (12 team 0 PPR) but I feel like i did about as well as I could have given my draft spot:

11 Rob Gronkowski, NE TE
14 Le'Veon Bell, Pit RB
35 Demaryius Thomas, Den WR
38 Carlos Hyde, SF RB
59 Golden Tate, Det WR
62 Giovani Bernard, Cin RB
83 Matt Jones, Wsh RB
86 Allen Hurns, Jax WR 03
107 Isaiah Crowell, Cle RB
110 Blake Bortles, Jax QB
131 Tyler Boyd, Cin WR
134 Terrance West, Bal RB
155 Rishard Matthews, Ten WR
158 Shane Vereen, NYG RB
179 Rams D/ST D/ST
182 Mason Crosby, GB K

The other line of drafting I can see would be to have taken Freeman, Green, D. Thomas, and Reed in the first 4 rounds instead, but who knows if it would have actually played out that way and I think I like the way this turned out better. Bell is a tough pill to swallow but I tried to get some RB depth to get me through the first 3 weeks.

Round 1: Gronk is solid, especially in 0 ppr.
Round 2: Bell is an okay pick, as long as you grab some guys to shore you up the first few weeks (duh)
Round 3: I have no problem with DT
Round 4: Not big on Carlos Hyde, but maybe he'll start strong with no other options in SF, and you've got bell waiting in the wings
Round 5: Golden Tate has looked mediocre this preseason. BUT that is preseason so maybe he'll be in 2014 no-megatron form
Round 6: Giovani Bernard... In 0 PPR? Not a fan
Round 7: Matt Jones. Inhaling air through my teeth. Still a lottery ticket that might pan out okay, though
Round 8: Allen Hurns... Alright.
Round 9: Isaiah Crowell: Not a bad pick, he should give you consistency but no high-yardage games

Rams D second to last round is choice. They play the woeful 49ers week 1, too

In all, I'd give this 6 out of ten. Biggest strength is Gronk and Bell, Biggest weakness is RB2 and WR2. I feel like your team is all floor, no ceiling, which is okay as long as you pay attention to that waiver wire

Your RB2s looked much better two weeks ago, before Hyde got concussed, Jones got injured and looked bad, Duke johnson looked like he might steal many touches from crowell, West kinda sputtered out after his hot start.. Pay attention to the wire and if you get some good pickups and hit on one of these RB2s or WR2s you could easily make the playoffs and ride bell and gronk and DT to a title. Another thing to be aware of is Gronk will struggle weeks 1-4 with Janene Garofolo throwing the ball, Demayrius will struggle as his QB gets used to the team/system, and Bell will not even see play weeks 1-3. So Make sure you really study up to do the best starts weeks 1-4 so you aren't out of contention after the first month when your top guys begin to hit their stride

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 31, 2016

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

Round 1: Gronk is solid, especially in 0 ppr.
Round 2: Bell is an okay pick, as long as you grab some guys to shore you up the first few weeks (duh)
Round 3: I have no problem with DT
Round 4: Not big on Carlos Hyde, but maybe he'll start strong with no other options in SF, and you've got bell waiting in the wings
Round 5: Golden Tate has looked mediocre this preseason. BUT that is preseason so maybe he'll be in 2014 no-megatron form
Round 6: Giovani Bernard... In 0 PPR? Not a fan
Round 7: Matt Jones. Inhaling air through my teeth. Still a lottery ticket that might pan out okay, though
Round 8: Allen Hurns... Alright.
Round 9: Isaiah Crowell: Not a bad pick, he should give you consistency but no high-yardage games

Rams D second to last round is choice. They play the woeful 49ers week 1, too

In all, I'd give this 6 out of ten. Biggest strength is Gronk and Bell, Biggest weakness is RB2 and WR2. I feel like your team is all floor, no ceiling, which is okay as long as you pay attention to that waiver wire

Your RB2s looked much better two weeks ago, before Hyde got concussed, Jones got injured and looked bad, Duke johnson looked like he might steal many touches from crowell, West kinda sputtered out after his hot start.. Pay attention to the wire and if you get some good pickups and hit on one of these RB2s or WR2s you could easily make the playoffs and ride bell and gronk to a title.

Thanks for the feedback! I won this league last year (even after starting 0-3) by prowling the waivers weekly, so that's a given for me. I'm not crazy about Hyde either, but my only other real option that round was Forte, who I loved drafting in the past but he's steadily done less on the ground as he's' gotten older and has Powell competing against him for catches. I dunno though, that one was a tossup.

I'm high on Bernard this year, I think the Bengals are going to do a lot of screen passes and he's looked good this preseason, but that may have been a homer pick. Jones seemed like he fell pretty far already so I picked him up based on volume alone but I'm not sure if he'll pan out. I didn't see a lot of value elsewhere that round.

We'll see if I can survive the first three weeks for Bell but hey, even if i lose a game or two there, that gives me waiver priority with the lovely rules this league runs :confuoot:

Butter Hole fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 31, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Seconding Aiken, Stills, and Hogan. They're probably the only 3 WRs on that list that I would give a passing glance, and probably in that order

e: also Crowder, but he's in the same boat as Hogan where he's more of a WR6 stash-and-see and not much of an immediate impact. However, Crowder is definitely an add if it were keeper/dynasty

Thirding the poo poo out of this. Aiken should be owned in all 10+ team leagues. The floor on a #1 WR on a team with a halfway deec qb is good, and aiken is still ascending in his career. Stills is an adam gace picked fav, and Gace makes gold out of straw like loving brandon lloyd

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

MrSargent posted:

Sorry to repost this but only got one response last night and wanted some additional feedback. Are my RB's really that bad? I think my other positions make up for it but maybe I need to do some work.

12 Team, Half PPR

not sure why anyone is making you feel self conscious about lacy and murray. Lacy is top 12 for sure and murray is top 24 for sure, which should put you at ease already. Lace has top 6 potential and murray has top 15 potential.

Your depth is not great,, but mckinnon is like lottery ticket #1 and deandre is poised to run like a bull should murray go down. You've got so much quality WR depth you will likely never have to flex an RB, so 4 backs is enough to get by

Also, I'd bench benjamin for marvin jones until proven otherwise. Jones seems to be in synch with stafford, and benjamin is out of shape and training, and Carolina will be in no hurry to force the ball to him after making the SuperBowl without him last year.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 31, 2016

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.
0.5 PPR w/ 6 point receiving TD/16 team/OP spot is basically a super flex

It's a dynasty league, for what that is worth and picked up Hill this AM to potentially start over Jimmy in week 1 versus Arizona. I know I am RB heavy, which is why I went Treadwell and Sharpe in our rookie draft, but yeah, any suggestions would be appreciated. More used to "futbol" than "FOOTBAWL". From what I understand, RB isn't a desirable option, but their is literally nothing on waivers in the way of WR help.

aellisr fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 31, 2016

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I cant decide if my team is pretty good or absolutely terrible.

its a 12 team, no ppr, standard scoring league.

QB: Dalton
RB: Gurley
RB: Langford
WR: J. Nelson
WR: K. Allen
TE: A. Gates
Flex: D. Moncrief
K: Walsh
DEF: LA

Bench:

WR: L. Fitzgerald
WR: V. Jackson
WR: K. Stills
WR: W. Fuller
RB: C. Sims
RB: D. Washington

Not sure why everyone is so down on Dalton when he has performed well last couple of years. Im really worried about Langford as my RB.

Last year I was able to draft Gurley in the 5th and David Johnson in the later rounds which lead me to win my league, but Im really missing that kind of later round potential this year unless Moncried turns out to be a monster or Murray goes down in Oakland and Washington takes over.

Im not optimistic.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

10 team league, full PPR, with some strange flex spots this year. I had first pick.

I kinda drunk chose Winston with my last pick as a "eh who knows" but I'm probably going to drop him for something on the wire.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

12 team, 1 PPR. 10th pick. I think this is a very fine team, besides my TE. Although the jury is out on him...

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

12 team
Must start
1 QB
2 RB
3 WR
1 TE
1 Flex (WR/TE/RB)
1 D/ST
1 K

Full retard scoring
1pt/20 pass yds
-1pt/incompletion
1pt/completion
6pts/passing TD
1pt/5 rushing yds
6pts/rushing TD
1pts/rushing attempt
1pt/10 receiving yds
6pts/receiving TD
1pt/reception

Not super happy with this draft, but it isn't apocalyptic, I guess:
1(5). Antonio Brown
2(20). Jamaal Charles
3(29). Jonathan Stewart
4(44). Allen Robinson
5(53). Mike Evans
6(68). Philip Rivers
7(77). Justin Forsett
8(92). Michael Crabtree
9(101). Coby Fleener
10(116). Theo Riddick
11(125). Sterling Shepard
12(140). Corey Coleman
13(149). Christine Michael
14(164). Spencer Ware
15(173). Ryan Tannehill
16(188). Patriots D/ST
17(197). Chandler Catanzaro

I probably should have taken Miller at 5, instead of Brown. Felt like I reached a bit for Stewart. I was maxed out on WRs and RBs, which is how I ended up with Tannehill. Someone took West in the 12th round, so I ended up with Ware as my handcuff. I should grabbed a QB earlier, I think. I consistently gently caress that up in this league, but Newton was #1 overall, and Rodgers, Luck, Wilson and Brees were off the board after the 2nd round.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
In a 12-teamer your team is ridiculous.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

MalleusDei posted:

I probably should have taken Miller at 5, instead of Brown.

what

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MalleusDei posted:

1(5). Antonio Brown

I'm curious what the top 4 looked like in this draft. I can see Brown dropping as low as 3, maybe 4 if someone goes RB a touch early. But dropping to 5 is quite something, especially in PPR. Don't feel bad about not getting Miller, you stole Brown at 5.

I'm assuming top 4 was some combination of Jones, Beckham, David Johnson, and either Gurley or Hopkins? But strange to see first 4 wait on Brown.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

thrawn527 posted:

I'm curious what the top 4 looked like in this draft. I can see Brown dropping as low as 3, maybe 4 if someone goes RB a touch early. But dropping to 5 is quite something, especially in PPR. Don't feel bad about not getting Miller, you stole Brown at 5.

I'm assuming top 4 was some combination of Jones, Beckham, David Johnson, and either Gurley or Hopkins? But strange to see first 4 wait on Brown.

It isn't just PPR, though, it has 1 point for 5 yards rushing and a whole point for each rushing attempt making RB's insanely overpowered. I could easily see taking Miller over AB, Miller's floor is like 20 points in that format.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MrSargent posted:

It isn't just PPR, though, it has 1 point for 5 yards rushing and a whole point for each rushing attempt making RB's insanely overpowered.

Ah, alright, I'll admit I missed that in the big points breakdown.

That makes sense then.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Newton, Gurley, AP, David Johnson.

Yeah, RBs are stupid valuable in this league. Newton #1 was a surprise though.

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006
1 PPR 9-man league. I feel strong at WR but think I should have maybe taken more RBs in the early rounds. Not confident about the Kirk Cousins experience either.

3 Julio Jones, Atl WR
16 Lamar Miller, Hou RB
21 Brandon Marshall, NYJ WR
34 Keenan Allen, SD WR
39 Jarvis Landry, Mia WR
52 Latavius Murray, Oak RB
57 Larry Fitzgerald, Ari WR
70 Giovani Bernard, Cin RB
75 Jordan Matthews, Phi WR
88 Ameer Abdullah, Det RB
93 Coby Fleener, NO TE
106 Kirk Cousins, Wsh QB
111 Theo Riddick, Det RB
124 Darren Sproles, Phi RB
129 Chiefs D/ST D/ST
142 Graham Gano, Car K

I.G.Y. fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 1, 2016

MilkDud
Sep 11, 2001

12 team, 11th pick.

Here are my questions. First off, how did I do? I didn't do any sort of research this year because I sort of forgot and work was crazy. Secondly, all three of Christine Michael, Jesse James, and Tyler Gaffney are available. Should I feel confident in Rawls, Ebron, and Blount, respectively?

I think I nailed the bye weeks (sort of on purpose, sort of on accident).

Edit - Rawls is probably gonna be good but should I also pick up the others or whatever I don't know what I want to say.

MilkDud fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 31, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

1 point per rush attempt, 1 point per 5 rush yards.

Gotta say I think his RBs are super weak given those scoring settings, but I'm not positive how the scoring landscape looks with those settings. Just pretty sure I'd want far better than JStew and Forsett as RB2 and RB3, ya know?

Edit: AP scored ~740 points in this league. Brown scored ~400. JStew scored around ~500. Are those season scores about right, MalleusDei? Yeah, Brown at 5 is a reach honestly, should've gone RB with your first like 4-5 picks, hah.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 1, 2016

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Gotta say I think his RBs are super weak given those scoring settings, but I'm not positive how the scoring landscape looks with those settings. Just pretty sure I'd want far better than JStew and Forsett as RB2 and RB3, ya know?

Edit: AP scored ~740 points in this league. Brown scored ~400. JStew scored around ~500. Are those season scores about right, MalleusDei? Yeah, Brown at 5 is a reach honestly, should've gone RB with your first like 4-5 picks, hah.

Yep, your numbers are about right. Here's the top 10 RBs from last year:

Brown scored 389.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
12 team league - 0.5 PPR (6th pick) 1 QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1WR/TE Flex/Def/K

I got drunk as hell at happy hour and thought my draft was at 9:30 but it started at 9. Had David Johnson autodrafted for me but got back just in time for the second round

QB - Derek Carr
RB - David Johnson, Jonathan Stewart, Arian Foster, Frank Gore, Justin Forsett
WR - Alshon Jeffrey, TY Hilton, Jeremy Maclin, Jordan Matthews, Corey Coleman
TE - Gary Barnidge
DEF - Eagles
K - Brandon McManus

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

MalleusDei posted:

5(53). Mike Evans

uHHHH... Your league is full of people who don't know how to play fantasy football no matter what the scoring. Enjoy your easy title.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Jota posted:

12 team league - 0.5 PPR (6th pick) 1 QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1WR/TE Flex/Def/K

I got drunk as hell at happy hour and thought my draft was at 9:30 but it started at 9. Had David Johnson autodrafted for me but got back just in time for the second round

QB - Derek Carr
RB - David Johnson, Jonathan Stewart, Arian Foster, Frank Gore, Justin Forsett
WR - Alshon Jeffrey, TY Hilton, Jeremy Maclin, Jordan Matthews, Corey Coleman
TE - Gary Barnidge
DEF - Eagles
K - Brandon McManus

Pretty solid all-around and decent depth. Your RB depth is a little on the old side with limited upside but other than that good work.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Standard ESPN scoring.

3 Julio Jones, Atl WR
22 Alshon Jeffery, Chi WR
27 Keenan Allen, SD WR
46 DeMarco Murray, Ten RB
51 Jeremy Langford, Chi RB
70 Gary Barnidge, Cle TE
75 Marvin Jones, Det WR
94 Blake Bortles, Jax QB
99 Derrick Henry, Ten RB
118 James Starks, GB RB
123 Phillip Dorsett, Ind WR
142 Jordan Howard, Chi RB
147 Chiefs D/ST D/ST
166 Chris Thompson, Wsh RB
171 Justin Tucker, Bal K

I wasn't able to attend the live draft so I just texted general instructions for the league commissioner to pick. I later dropped James Starks for Dorial Green-Beckham. Starks is still available on the waiver wire if you think I made a mistake in dropping him.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

How many teams? Your WRs are solid but I would have liked to see another RB1 before Murray.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

MrSargent posted:

How many teams? Your WRs are solid but I would have liked to see another RB1 before Murray.

12-team league. Positions are QB/RB2/WR3/TE/FLEX/DEF/K.

I was a little sore because Latavius Murray was taken in the round before I took DeMarco Murray.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

I did miss that at first, but went back and thought about it and I'm doubling down (/Brad Evans). I am still of the opinion that AB is such a safe and reassuring pick, and that the top RBs aside from DJ (who was gone) are so underwhelming re: ADP, that I would not even think twice about taking him in the first and then just stacking RB in rounds 2 through 4/5. I know that those top RBs are really good when considering that scoring, but I think that a wait-and-see approach isn't necessarily the wrong move. You can get Brown at 1.5 and then something like Charles/Lacy/Martin/Rawls/Langford/Murrays/Gio around that next turn and in the 4th. And in doing so, it isn't so unlikely to result in you having the best first 3-4 rounds of any team.

e: I would take DJ/Gurley/Peterson for sure over Brown there, but after that, I'm not so sure it's quite as cut-and-dry. I could definitely be wrong, but those last year scoring stats are misleading when we don't know how many RBs scored above Brown last year. And the gap between Brown (on a weekly basis) and the next tier of WRs is just as wide

e2: I guess what I'm saying is that value is relative regardless of scoring and taking AB at 5 is no different IMO than taking Gronk around the turn in a regular draft

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 1, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Third and final. 12-team, standard non-PPR, 4th pick. I feel pretty good about this one, actually. (Although my bye week situation is a mess.)

EDIT: Oh this one is FAAB, too.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 1, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Johnson/Ingram/Hyde is a good 1/2/3 RB corps, assuming you got Hyde in the 4th. Decker is an underrated solid WR2.

Having Floyd as a bench player is very good. Lockett is slipping but I still like him, personally. Crowell may be WW fodder in a while.

I do not like Cousins and I despise Graham so that drops your team down but being weak at QB and TE isn't the worst thing.

I would look into Jimmy Graham replacements. Maybe package him and Cousins for a QB upgrade and grab one off the wire.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hyde was indeed round 4.

Cousins and Graham were round 10 and 13 pickups, I actually won this league mainly streaming QBs last year so I figure I would bank on the early schedule for my draft choice. TEs got snapped up in quick succession so yeah, I just kind of ended up holding the bag with Graham.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 1, 2016

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I did miss that at first, but went back and thought about it and I'm doubling down (/Brad Evans). I am still of the opinion that AB is such a safe and reassuring pick, and that the top RBs aside from DJ (who was gone) are so underwhelming re: ADP, that I would not even think twice about taking him in the first and then just stacking RB in rounds 2 through 4/5. I know that those top RBs are really good when considering that scoring, but I think that a wait-and-see approach isn't necessarily the wrong move. You can get Brown at 1.5 and then something like Charles/Lacy/Martin/Rawls/Langford/Murrays/Gio around that next turn and in the 4th. And in doing so, it isn't so unlikely to result in you having the best first 3-4 rounds of any team.

e: I would take DJ/Gurley/Peterson for sure over Brown there, but after that, I'm not so sure it's quite as cut-and-dry. I could definitely be wrong, but those last year scoring stats are misleading when we don't know how many RBs scored above Brown last year. And the gap between Brown (on a weekly basis) and the next tier of WRs is just as wide

e2: I guess what I'm saying is that value is relative regardless of scoring and taking AB at 5 is no different IMO than taking Gronk around the turn in a regular draft

The point totals for RB's are just so much higher than WRs that it really helps to have a solid back that will get a lot of touches. Any starting RB will be ahead of Brown in points because they will be getting about 150+ points in rushes alone, not to mention they get twice as many points per yard. I think the gap is significant enough to want at least one top end RB if not two.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Do guys like Charles/Lacy/Martin/Rawls/Langford not fit that description? Because if otherwise, I think I'm grossly misunderstanding their role in their respective offenses

e: if the top RB scores ~900, those 2nd/3rd tier RBs score 600-400, and Brown scores 400, then shouldn't the following make sense?

Team A) Miller (750) + Charles (600) + JStew (400) + some 4th round WR (300 at best) = 2050 points

Team B) Brown (400) + Charles (600) + Best RB two available (900) = 1900 points

In a league where RB3s score over 350 points, I don't think that 150 point gap is so wide that it's worth passing on the best fantasy player in the league, who will likely give you the highest weekly floor of any player in the draft pool

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 1, 2016

SailAway
Feb 14, 2009
7th year of a long-term keeper league; I made some deals before last year's deadline to stock up on higher picks. Kept Le'Veon (1st), Watkins (3rd) and Gurley (5th). I wasn't overly excited about my keepers this year, but after hearing that most of the elite WRs would be gone, I had to lock down my RBs and hope for the best.

Yahoo standard scoring, 12 man, drafting from 11th:

1 - (11) Le'Veon Bell*
2 - (14) Mike Evans
3 - (35) Sammy Watkins*
4 - (38) Golden Tate
4 - (46) Ben Roethlisberger
4 - (48) Michael Floyd
5 - (59) Todd Gurley*
6 - (62) Jeremy Langford
6 - (63) Tyler Lockett
6 - (71) Kevin White
8 - (86) Denver Broncos
8 - (92) Giovanni Bernard
13 - (155) Jason Witten
14 - (158) Tyrod Taylor
15 - (169) Eric Ebron

Didn't draft a kicker, waiting until next week to drop Ebron for whoever catches my eye. Pretty happy with it overall.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Picked 7th in an 8 team ESPN standard work league.

QB: Phillip Rivers
RB: David Johnson
RB: Thomas Rawls
WR: A.J. Green
WR: Mike Evans
FLEX: Latavius Murray
TE: Jordan Reed
D/ST: Rams
K: Chandler Catanzaro

B: Alshon Jeffery
B: Jonathan Stewart
B: Jeremy Maclin
B: C.J. Anderson
B: Antonio Gates
B: Donte Moncrief
B: Jameis Winston

Missed the run on QBs, but I'm happy otherwise. We were literally drafting off a list on a tv screen so some players fell through the cracks because people forgot about them. One dirty motherfucker got Lamar Miller in like the 5th round (I swear to God I thought he'd been drafted).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Do guys like Charles/Lacy/Martin/Rawls/Langford not fit that description? Because if otherwise, I think I'm grossly misunderstanding their role in their respective offenses

e: if the top RB scores ~900, those 2nd/3rd tier RBs score 600-400, and Brown scores 400, then shouldn't the following make sense?

Team A) Miller (750) + Charles (600) + JStew (400) + some 4th round WR (300 at best) = 2050 points

Team B) Brown (400) + Charles (600) + Best RB two available (900) = 1900 points

In a league where RB3s score over 350 points, I don't think that 150 point gap is so wide that it's worth passing on the best fantasy player in the league, who will likely give you the highest weekly floor of any player in the draft pool

Not sure how "best RB two available" gets 900 points for team B. Is that like JStew + next best RB? Also, Allen Robinson and Mike Evans went in the 4th and 5th, don't forget, so your WR options in middle rounds are phenomenal.

So I'll double down too, hah. It's terrible to take Brown at 5 and a bad idea not to take RBs with your first >3 picks. If Charles is injured or doesn't play to his usual self, op will be outscored by dozens of points each week by opponents that went RB-RB. Of course anyone losing their RB1 will be in bad shape, but if you went, eg, Miller, Charles, best RB, best RB, you'll likely still have a decent volume NFL RB1 to start in their place. (I'm not actually 100% certain on this, as Brown over their WR1 will make up some of the difference, and I'm not certain how much waiver wire RB replacements will score; I'll plug in those scoring settings once I get to work and check what the scoring dropoff at each position looks like)

In this league, your description of Brown just isn't true, I don't think. He certainly doesn't have the highest floor when any back that can take 10 carries for 30 yards will score 16 fantasy points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

RVProfootballer posted:

Not sure how "best RB two available" gets 900 points for team B. Is that like JStew + next best RB? Also, Allen Robinson and Mike Evans went in the 4th and 5th, don't forget, so your WR options in middle rounds are phenomenal.

So I'll double down too, hah. It's terrible to take Brown at 5 and a bad idea not to take RBs with your first >3 picks. If Charles is injured or doesn't play to his usual self, op will be outscored by dozens of points each week by opponents that went RB-RB. Of course anyone losing their RB1 will be in bad shape, but if you went, eg, Miller, Charles, best RB, best RB, you'll likely still have a decent volume NFL RB1 to start in their place. (I'm not actually 100% certain on this, as Brown over their WR1 will make up some of the difference, and I'm not certain how much waiver wire RB replacements will score; I'll plug in those scoring settings once I get to work and check what the scoring dropoff at each position looks like)

In this league, your description of Brown just isn't true, I don't think. He certainly doesn't have the highest floor when any back that can take 10 carries for 30 yards will score 16 fantasy points.

I simmed a draft using his scoring settings, and it supports what you're saying.

If everybody VORP drafts (i.e. picks the player that offers the biggest advantage over a 10th-round "replacement level" player), this is what you get:

RBs all the way down. AB and Julio go in the 2nd. Cam and Russ go in the 3rd. Evans goes after Isaiah Crowell. Gronk is a 5th. Tyrod Taylor goes a round and a half before Ben.

Point per attempt is a hell of a thing.

Top players sorted by marginal value:

• Locked thread