Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dekk
Aug 31, 2001
It might just be Brooklyn, but why does every show I attend have someone directly next to me being the smarkiest smark? The guy was booing Bayley for cutting terrible promos and Nakamura for his "workrate." Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dekk posted:

It might just be Brooklyn, but why does every show I attend have someone directly next to me being the smarkiest smark? The guy was booing Bayley for cutting terrible promos and Nakamura for his "workrate." Christ.

What in the actual gently caress? Does that guy know what workrate even means

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Dekk posted:

the guy behind me was loudly talking about how badly he wanted to gently caress Sasha and Becky and kept doing loud awful harambe chants and trying to get in fights about sports teams with people, which I'll admit is part of why the first part of Nakamura/Joe seemed not great to me, because he just kept loving talkingggggg

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I just got home from Brooklyn. The show was great, obviously. I missed most of the first dark match which sucks because I'm a big fan of the Perfect 10. The second dark match, other than a great dive, was heatless and boring.

The biggest problem on the show was that both the faces and the heels for tended to be extremely popular and it made it harder to get into. No Way Jose was over huge, but so was Aries! Poor Andrade, having to go up against Roode, whose (and I haven't watched the show yet) song we were singing from the promo package to the lights went out after the match. Although Andrade did seem to get over more in this match than in anything else he's done. The Revival continues to be the best loving tag team in the world and they have real heel heat, although some of the people there were really appreciative of what they were and have been doing. loving awesome match too. The crowd loved both Bayley and Asuka, and it was fun as hell watching Sasha and Becky clapping along, totally into it. Stronger support behind Bayley, but it was mostly that both of them are great and the crowd appreciated both of them. The same was true for the main event, although Nakamura is more popular, especially judging by the sea of red shirts I saw leaving.

I was trying to figure out why this show didn't feel as good as last year's, and it finally occurred to me why: last year was the climax of Bayley's story, the Vaudevillains/Blue Pants and BAMF's story and the rise of Finn to be the face of the brand. This year it was Bayley's epilogue and other than that the feuds were relatively weak.

That all said, gently caress the nosebleed seats, next year if I go I'm going to splurge.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

SamuraiFoochs posted:

What in the actual gently caress? Does that guy know what workrate even means

This guy sounds like an rear end in a top hat, but Nakamura's work rate is definitely not good a lot of the time. Which probably makes him way smarter than the wrestlers who destroy their bodies on house shows and stuff, but I can see why some people wouldn't like his in ring work as much.

Obviously when he wants to be he's awesome, but that's definitely not most matches.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dekk posted:

Dang, that sounds annoying. Worst I had to deal with at Battleground was a guy telling his son sitting next to me why he doesn't like John Cena for the entire E&C&C vs. Club match.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this is still all better than the ROH show I went to a few months ago where we got an entire beer dumped on our section from above and security refused to anything about it; that really set a high bar to clear in terms of being annoyed by people at wrestling shows

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

This guy sounds like an rear end in a top hat, but Nakamura's work rate is definitely not good a lot of the time. Which probably makes him way smarter than the wrestlers who destroy their bodies on house shows and stuff, but I can see why some people wouldn't like his in ring work as much.

Obviously when he wants to be he's awesome, but that's definitely not most matches.

I feel he gets a pass for this because he is Nakamura 100% of the time.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Dekk posted:

I was stuck next to a guy who decided to chant the names of every wrestling promotion he could think of for some reason. He seriously went through like 15 of them.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

I was stuck next to a guy who decided to chant the names of every wrestling promotion he could think of for some reason. He seriously went through like 15 of them.

There were some people near me who kept doing the Broken Matt Hardy "Delete, delete, delete" thing. Also people trying to get dumb bad chants going. And a bro who was jumping out of his seat, screaming about poo poo constantly. But that's wrestling I guess.

Edit: Oh, and Botchamania chants for every botch. loving hell dude.

AlmightyPants fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 21, 2016

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Did joe break his jaw?

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

AlmightyPants posted:

There were some people near me who kept doing the Broken Matt Hardy "Delete, delete, delete" thing. Also people trying to get dumb bad chants going. And a bro who was jumping out of his seat, screaming about poo poo constantly. But that's wrestling I guess.

Edit: Oh, and Botchamania chants for every botch. loving hell dude.

You were either seated by me or the same poo poo went on all over. I was in 211 in front of the loud annoying dude with a Boston accent.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Accident Underwater posted:

You were either seated by me or the same poo poo went on all over. I was in 211 in front of the loud annoying dude with a Boston accent.
Oh that guy. I could hear him over in 210

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Kuai posted:

Did joe break his jaw?

No, Nakamura broke Joe's jaw.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Accident Underwater posted:

I was in 222 so I guess there were multiple people with similar bad ideas.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I was hoping they'd get Joe's theme a live tuba performance like they did with Nakamura's violin. Such a missed opportunity.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I literally can't remember enjoying a tag match as much as I enjoyed this one. I love Revival's "gently caress hot tags" gimmick. I loved seeing Scott Dawson do AA's old punch fakeout into DDT. I loved heel cheating that wasn't the same old bullshit. I love any match where I can watch Ciampa kick the gently caress out of someone.

Seriously if we were ticking my boxes for best match ever I'd just be missing things like poison mist and industry-defining story moment (e.g. I'm Sorry, I Love You.)

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I was so certain that Ciampa would turn on Gargano after they lost, it wasn't until the image started fading out that I realized it wasn't going to happen. And I'm glad it didn't, NXT doesn't need to lose any more tag teams.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

ThePariah posted:

I was so certain that Ciampa would turn on Gargano after they lost, it wasn't until the image started fading out that I realized it wasn't going to happen. And I'm glad it didn't, NXT doesn't need to lose any more tag teams.

Yeah I was expecting a short-arm lariat at any moment.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ThePariah posted:

It's going to happen soon and it's going to suck.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

ThePariah posted:

They dragged out their exit for a while, it's almost like they wanted to tease the heel turn, especially when Ciampa had his arm around Gargano right after they left the ring. I couldn't help but think at any given second, Gargano was gonna have a mouth full of floor mat.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It's going to happen soon and it's going to suck.

I disagree, this is the one time where I actually want WWE to break up a popular tag team because I think Ciampa and Gargano are better as singles wrestlers (despite how good that match was) and Ciampa really shines as a Joe-esque brutal bully heel. But if they get a short tag title run before getting squashed by the Authors of Pain or whoever and setting up the breakup that's fine too.

Also if Joe and Bayley are really getting called up I hope it's to Smackdown, that's already the show with actual good booking and pacing, they just need a deeper roster to make a consistently better product than Raw.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Grozz Nuy posted:

Also if Joe and Bayley are really getting called up I hope it's to Smackdown, that's already the show with actual good booking and pacing, they just need a deeper roster to make a consistently better product than Raw.

I was talking with my roommate about that after Asuka beat Bayley, and we both agree with you. Smackdown really does need the help roster-wise. Bayley would immediately elevate the SD women's division, and right now SD has what, two main event level heels on the men's side (Bray and AJ) so Joe could step right in a month or so down the line after he does the obligatory rematch with Nakamura.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

oatgan posted:

nakamura is unsafe and needs to stay in developmental until he learns from "scrap daddy" adam pearce how to work

Pearce is a main roster road agent/'producer' now, isn't he

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

AlmightyPants posted:

I was in 222 so I guess there were multiple people with similar bad ideas.

What up 222 buddy, did you hear the guy SCREAMING every chant a half second behind the rest of the crowd? He was directly behind me :smith:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

How many of you nerds were trying to steal Britain's "ONE FALL!" thing because on TV we only heard one weak try

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=414MJcGtjlI

After watching this, I feel like they're gonna make the NXT titles the Smackdown tag belts. It makes sense, no need to add another tag title to the mix and it'll lead to the inevitable hilarity of the Usos being NXT champs...

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

abraham linksys posted:

the only thing bothering me is that they shouldn't have done the 3 championship matches back to back, it's half the reason the crowd was so dead for the first 70% of Nakamura/Joe, we just physically didn't have the energy to do a real chant.

I had a different take, watching late and starting with Nakamura/Joe. The beginning of that match was really slow and I almost turned it off with the intention of watching the full show as a re-run the next morning. I don't know if it's their styles not matching up, or me still thinking of G1/Omega dominating, or what - but I was disappointed with the main event.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Helicity posted:

I had a different take, watching late and starting with Nakamura/Joe. The beginning of that match was really slow and I almost turned it off with the intention of watching the full show as a re-run the next morning. I don't know if it's their styles not matching up, or me still thinking of G1/Omega dominating, or what - but I was disappointed with the main event.

I kind of felt the same way. I enjoyed the match and the outcome, but Joe felt so impossibly physically dominant over him and it was super obvious for a good part of the match. Going in I was really looking forward to this and it didn't really seem obvious until I saw them in the ring together how much smaller and less threatening Shinsuke was in comparison.

The tag match and the women were amazing though. Bayley/Asuka I felt outperformed most of the male talent in the wwe, with the right push and the current rosters it's not hard to imagine a women's main event match at some point, the quality's there if there's a taste for it.

cheese sandwich fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 21, 2016

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Extremely glad the thread title here is KEEP ON SUCKIN after witnessing a giant smug watermelon dancing outside the Barclays Center with KEEP ON SUCKIN signs.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

St Evan Echoes posted:

What up 222 buddy, did you hear the guy SCREAMING every chant a half second behind the rest of the crowd? He was directly behind me :smith:

Nah, I was all the way back in row 20 so all I heard was the bro in front of me and the supa new yawka's behind me.

HulkaMatt posted:

Extremely glad the thread title here is KEEP ON SUCKIN after witnessing a giant smug watermelon dancing outside the Barclays Center with KEEP ON SUCKIN signs.

I didn't put 2 and 2 together to realize that that's why I ran into a giant watermelon person on my way to the escalator. I just thought it was some weird poo poo and moved on with my life. Makes sense now!

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
Just realized, I am really happy the, "count one ahead of the ref" chant died over the last few months and Brooklyn didn't try it at all. That's something that actively takes me out of the match, and it's cementing my opinion that Brooklyn is their best crowd, especially since it sounded like completely mayhem in a good way.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Slightly disappointed in the Nakamura match. I don't watch much NXT, but I thought Zayn vs. Nakamura and Balor vs. Joe were both better matches.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Nakamura's best match was with Austin Aries

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Just realized, I am really happy the, "count one ahead of the ref" chant died over the last few months and Brooklyn didn't try it at all. That's something that actively takes me out of the match, and it's cementing my opinion that Brooklyn is their best crowd, especially since it sounded like completely mayhem in a good way.

It's just a British thing as far as I've seen. It didn't really die so much as American smarks stopped trying to importing it

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
This is a great thread title, my first thought when seeing that ad slogan was who the hell thought that was a good idea. My second thought was that I actually couldn't think of any slogan at all for Jolly Ranchers. Oh, but just now I thought of "Have a Jolly time" which sounds like it belongs in the 1950s but hell, beats what they went with.

Nakamura's great, Bayleys great, violin intro was awesome and I hope he gets that exact entrance at Wrestlemania someday, but make it like 10 Violin players since it's the biggest stage of them all. I think with stuff like AJ/Cena, Orton/Lesnar, Rollins/Balor and Charlotte/Banks we have decent odds to get matches that are about as good as Takeover during Summerslam, so that should be nice.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay this is probably going to seem stupid, but I'm beginning to have a problem with the Revival. The reason they keep on doing all this surprising poo poo as a heel tag team is because they don't sell half the stuff that happens to them. At the end of the match Dawson (I think) took a straight superkick and was up and running around just fine within seconds to interrupt a pin. That feels really sloppy to me.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay this is probably going to seem stupid, but I'm beginning to have a problem with the Revival. The reason they keep on doing all this surprising poo poo as a heel tag team is because they don't sell half the stuff that happens to them. At the end of the match Dawson (I think) took a straight superkick and was up and running around just fine within seconds to interrupt a pin. That feels really sloppy to me.

Counterpoint: They go hard. All day all night.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Counterpoint: They go hard. All day all night.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It's because they're proud southern people who be ready to fight

• Locked thread