Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sneakyfrog posted:

wait richard is not drawing me a spaes ship? :smithfrog:

I am unsurprised but similarly and strangely sad anyway :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ciaphas posted:

I am unsurprised but similarly and strangely sad anyway :(

Lowtax just live-tweeted the heck out of some Star Citizen event. Maybe he'll get inspired this weekend.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I never really expected a space ship drawing, but I do still hope to receive one.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Besides tweeting, can any mods give us an insight into the daily schedule of Lowtax as he runs this somethingawful.com web site?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
So, apparently in addition to probations, bans and permabans, there used to be a couple of other forum-punishments, like "forums cancer" and "hellbanning" - could anyone, mods or non-mods, explain what those, and possibly other no longer used forum punishments did? Can mods/admins still request or do those now, at all?

If anyone remember hellbans actually being used, any idea of how long someone might have been hellbanned for before noticing it, like, did someone ever get hellbanned and just posted for months without noticing it?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

How are the kids and admins doing today? Feeling alright? Hanging in there?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grandmother of Five posted:

So, apparently in addition to probations, bans and permabans, there used to be a couple of other forum-punishments, like "forums cancer" and "hellbanning" - could anyone, mods or non-mods, explain what those, and possibly other no longer used forum punishments did? Can mods/admins still request or do those now, at all?

If anyone remember hellbans actually being used, any idea of how long someone might have been hellbanned for before noticing it, like, did someone ever get hellbanned and just posted for months without noticing it?

You can still request cancer but I think the policy is "don't" because it looks bad and radium.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Forums Cancer started out as a thing they'd give to prominent LF posters back when LF was still a thing. What it did was change your avatar and make your posts really faint and hard to read unless you moused over it.

But you could buy "forums chemo" for like $6 and your posts would go back to normal. IIRC there's still a handful of people on the forums who still have it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

This thread broke. Can't access the newest page.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Why does this thread say I have three unread posts but I keep getting page not found errors when I try to read them? A case of Radium?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Any ideas on what causes posts to get caught in limbo randomly?

or is the answer just "radium code"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Posting in a non-existing thread.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Posting in a non-existing thread.

Quoting a non-existing post in a non-existing thread.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

What the hell is going on with this page?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Let's push on through page 24.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
So, the thread seems to be working again, but I'm assuming that this thread will have this issue on every new page, so I'd like to request that a mod or admin make a new thread. Also, thanks for answers - I'm still curious if anyone was ever hellbanned for months without knowing of it, though.

And I have a question that could perhaps be used in the new thread; basically it'd be neat to hear how the behind-the-scenes stuff works. I thought I had it figured out, but apparently not! What I specifically mean to ask is how the IK, mod and admin roles differ, and how the report and mod-queue system works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Grandmother of Five posted:

And I have a question that could perhaps be used in the new thread; basically it'd be neat to hear how the behind-the-scenes stuff works. I thought I had it figured out, but apparently not! What I specifically mean to ask is how the IK, mod and admin roles differ, and how the report and mod-queue system works.
Mods get a couple special buttons, one of which lets you queue punishments for people. 6 hour probations go through instantly; everything else goes into the queue to be approved by an admin. I think the only technical difference between IKs and mods is that IKs don't have access to the mod forum; an IK can queue a >6 hour probation and it's up to whoever's approving the modqueue to decline them. Admins get approve/decline buttons on the modqueue, in addition to standard mod tools in all forums.

User-submitted reports generate threads in a special Reports forum, tagged by forum (so, for example, I had a bookmark to the reports forum filtered by forums I could moderate). Report threads have an iframe with the reported post in them, so you can use your mod buttons directly from there (but you can also click through into the thread for context, which is generally useful). I think someone posted screenshots of a report thread at some point, and I know there's at least one in the goldmine.

very late edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787246&pagenumber=4&perpage=40#post463646695

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 27, 2017

• Locked thread