Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Orange Sunshine posted:

Other than the posts I have made there, this is 100% true.

ah i was searching by username not id, how can i forget the three hilarious posts you made in the trump thread this year

carry on goonsire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Saint Isaias Boner, did the IKs know?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Which mod has the longest rap sheet?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Have you ever met another mod?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Im going to ask Lowtax if I can mod GBS because I feel my poo poo sense has matured.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

Have you ever met another mod?
All the mods sleep in a single large bed.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

oh my

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

We work together to raise Charlie from the chocolate factory. Actually, his ownership of he factory is how SA has stayed afloat.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

stringball posted:

Can you show us pictures of what the forums look like to you guys? What's it look like when you probate someone?

Mods have the punish/reward + history buttons, but not the "show IPs" button

This is the page for probations. The options in the dropdown are 6 hours, 12 hours, 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, 1 month, and 100,000 hours. Anything written in the top field shows up in the Leper's Colony, the bottom field is for notes that show up only in the mod queue.

Admin punishments/rewards go through immediately, while mod ones go into a queue for approval. If there was a private note on this probation request, it'd appear below "origin" at the right.

The 'history' button is a user's personal little modqueue. It's similar to the Leper's Colony but has a list of all thread moves, mod-given titles, private notes etc. for that user.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WE B Bourgeois posted:

Mods can reward people? With what?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Orange Sunshine posted:

Mods can reward people? With what?

Free custom titles, with assistance from admins to upload images. Admins can additionally give people platinum/archives/no-ads.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Of course, the custom title reward can be a punishment as well :grin:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's probably also worth noting mods only have their mod powers in the subforums where they operate, with the exception of being able to check user histories.

When I post in Games or wherever, I'm basically just another user.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

WE B Bourgeois posted:

This is the page for probations. The options in the dropdown are 6 hours, 12 hours, 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, 1 month, and 100,000 hours. Anything written in the top field shows up in the Leper's Colony, the bottom field is for notes that show up only in the mod queue.

Admin punishments/rewards go through immediately, while mod ones go into a queue for approval. If there was a private note on this probation request, it'd appear below "origin" at the right.

The 'history' button is a user's personal little modqueue. It's similar to the Leper's Colony but has a list of all thread moves, mod-given titles, private notes etc. for that user.

Oh is that what the approve/deny probation thing looks like? Cool.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Also for some reason we can give and cure Forums Cancer even though Forums Cancer was a dumb idea.

AMLOVINIT
Mar 30, 2016
I know you all said that reports are awesome but do you come across reports from whiney little self righteous shites on a My Opining Is The Only Correct One journey?

Nota Bene: in my twisted mind, all report-ers are just snitches

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

AMLOVINIT posted:

I know you all said that reports are awesome but do you come across reports from whiney little self righteous shites on a My Opining Is The Only Correct One journey?

Literally constantly.

That's what "Misc" is for.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

AMLOVINIT posted:

I get some. When they are especially bad I might take a screenshot and show it to the thread that generated it. I only ever really had to do that for the EVE Online thread, which is doing way, way better now.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

I get some. When they are especially bad I might take a screenshot and show it to the thread that generated it. I only ever really had to do that for the EVE Online thread, which is doing way, way better now.

Could you link some funny reports here that you posted there?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Whose idea was it to do report-shaming in PYF? Because that was the best decision to fix that sub.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hogge Wild posted:

Could you link some funny reports here that you posted there?

Well, they're not funny, just silly.

I liked this one the most:

There are the occasional reports I've thought "Why on earth is this a report?!" but I have not made screenshots of those.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

what happened to gnarly? I thought he was a good mod but I haven't been active in GBS for ages and people were saying it broke him.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

what happened to gnarly? I thought he was a good mod but I haven't been active in GBS for ages and people were saying it broke him.

He's an angry alcoholic who was a horrendously lovely mod because of it

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

GonSmithe posted:

He's an angry alcoholic who was a horrendously lovely mod because of it

he was a good mod, one of the best this site has ever had

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

zen death robot posted:

why do you think this

also give examples of what made him one of the best mods ever

if you timed it just right you could get away with some horrible posting while he was sleeping one off, but if you kept it up for too long he'd log in all hung over and ban everyone he saw

i assume that's a desirable quality in a mod

E: those competitions were good and some good threads came out of them

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 29, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

zen death robot posted:

why do you think this

also give examples of what made him one of the best mods ever

He was an active mod in a good way, ie. he posted in his own forum and didn't poo poo on other posters. He also ran some funny competitions. And he wasn't thin skinned. He was the opposite of Franco, Ralp, and Silversliver.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Plan Z posted:

Whose idea was it to do report-shaming in PYF? Because that was the best decision to fix that sub.

I'm not a mod, but I remember Xylo doing a bunch around when GBS went to 2.0.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

AMLOVINIT posted:

If a report reason includes "poster used [logical fallacy]" I will almost always misc it

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plan Z posted:

Greetings.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hogge Wild posted:

he was a good mod, one of the best this site has ever had

:laugh:

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I misc reports often and note that the reporter "doesn't understand jokes".

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Incoherence posted:

Also for some reason we can give and cure Forums Cancer even though Forums Cancer was a dumb idea.

Why was cancer a bad idea? Didn't it just make affected posters have slightly transparent posts, changed their title/regdate and would redirect them to ponyta.swf if they posted outside of RFA? Sounds like it was an okay punishment for really crappy posters that were to be contained in RFA back when it was a thing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

It made threads look stupid and was more a punishment for everybody else than for the cancer recipient.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shine posted:

It made threads look stupid and was more a punishment for everybody else than for the cancer recipient.
This. It was supposed to encourage you to put that poster on ignore, but instead it just made everyone a little irritated randomly while browsing the forums.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Bad Seafood posted:

It's probably also worth noting mods only have their mod powers in the subforums where they operate, with the exception of being able to check user histories.

When I post in Games or wherever, I'm basically just another user.
Do you get reports from mods or do y'all handle that poo poo in the mod forum? Also, if you did get a report from a mod would you put the offender on probation even if you didn't agree as a courtesy?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GonSmithe posted:

Oh is that what the approve/deny probation thing looks like? Cool.

hey gonsmithe ol buddy ol pal you should hit my history button and tell me if there's anything good in there

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

Do you get reports from mods or do y'all handle that poo poo in the mod forum? Also, if you did get a report from a mod would you put the offender on probation even if you didn't agree as a courtesy?

If a mod reports something in YLLS, I'll probably look at it more closely than I would otherwise, but I'm not gonna probate somebody just because another mod reported them. I assume that's how everybody else does it, too.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

I treat mod reports the same as user reports, including ignoring reports I think aren't actionable.

Since the person who made the report can view where I file it, however, I tend to include a more robust explanation for my ruling than usual.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

I'll report something if I think it warrants it. I don't expect for it to be treated any different than a non-mod report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
hello, friends. have any of you ever known love?

• Locked thread