Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Also for some reason we can give and cure Forums Cancer even though Forums Cancer was a dumb idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Skoll posted:

Can I mod the Star Citizen subforum? I think everyone who regularly posts in it has a very real and actual mental issue.
I realize this is a joke, but in general the easiest way to disqualify yourself as a moderator is to ask if you can be a moderator.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'm still in the top 40 of that list, and I've been a mod for ages.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

zen death robot posted:

I can fix that
But then I wouldn't have the amusing story of how I got there! (I think I got as high as top 5.)

Story: Years ago, SA introduced the ability to buy intra-forums ads for a cheaper price than the normal banner ads. A... friend from high school decided to buy this hideous flashing pink banner which linked directly to my "ignore this user" link. When someone pointed this banner ad out to radium in the thread he posted for feedback on the new ad prices, he realized that probably shouldn't be allowed, and fixed it for future purchases, but in typical radium fashion he didn't fix the existing banner ad (so it ran for the full month or whatever). Several hundred people clicked it, as you can see from the Posting Gloryhole page. I like to believe that some of those people later became puzzled as to why they had a mod on their ignore list (I haven't been tracking the exact count so I don't know if it's decreased over time).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Trammel posted:

Do you have any measure of success when moderating the forums?
I can't say I've ever had anyone talk to me about metrics as a Something Awful Forums Moderator. I guess "is this a forum I actually want to post on" is a measure of success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Grandmother of Five posted:

And I have a question that could perhaps be used in the new thread; basically it'd be neat to hear how the behind-the-scenes stuff works. I thought I had it figured out, but apparently not! What I specifically mean to ask is how the IK, mod and admin roles differ, and how the report and mod-queue system works.
Mods get a couple special buttons, one of which lets you queue punishments for people. 6 hour probations go through instantly; everything else goes into the queue to be approved by an admin. I think the only technical difference between IKs and mods is that IKs don't have access to the mod forum; an IK can queue a >6 hour probation and it's up to whoever's approving the modqueue to decline them. Admins get approve/decline buttons on the modqueue, in addition to standard mod tools in all forums.

User-submitted reports generate threads in a special Reports forum, tagged by forum (so, for example, I had a bookmark to the reports forum filtered by forums I could moderate). Report threads have an iframe with the reported post in them, so you can use your mod buttons directly from there (but you can also click through into the thread for context, which is generally useful). I think someone posted screenshots of a report thread at some point, and I know there's at least one in the goldmine.

very late edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787246&pagenumber=4&perpage=40#post463646695

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 27, 2017

• Locked thread