Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Wes Anderson film?
Bottle Rocket
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Darjeeling Limited
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Moonrise Kingdom
The Grand Budapest Hotel
AVP: Alien vs. Predator
View Results

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Prologue:

Once upon a time, there was a filmmaker from Austin, Texas who gathered his friends to make a short film. His circle of friends included the Wilson brothers, Owen and Luke, and Robert Musgrave. Robert would never be seen again after a feature-length version of this short film. The film is entitled Bottle Rocket (1992, released 1994) and was remade as the identically titled Bottle Rocket (1996).

Figure 1a
The director is Wes Anderson.

Filmgoers may confuse Wes Anderson with other Andersons, such as Paul Thomas Anderson, director of Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood (both Oscar nominated). Or Paul W.S. Anderson, director of the Resident Evil motion pictures and a futuristic retelling of The Three Musketeers.

Wes Anderson is responsible writing and directing unique, quirky comedies. Among his hallmarks are striking, vibrant visuals calling back to the elegant symmetry of Stanley Kubrick; reliable use of British Invasion pop tunes; witty dialogue reminiscent of Preston Sturges, and an endlessly recurring cast (diagram below).

Chapter One:

THE FILMS OF WES ANDERSON:

Bottle Rocket
(1992 - short film - 1.33:1)
Starring Owen Wilson, Luke Wilson, and Robert Musgrave

Bottle Rocket
(1994 - Columbia Pictures - 1.85:1)
Ibid, plus James Caan
Written by Anderson and Owen Wilson

Rushmore
(1998 - Touchstone Pictures - 2.35:1)
Starring Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Olivia Williams, Brian Cox
Written by Anderson and Wilson

The Royal Tenenbaums
(2001 - Touchstone Pictures - 2.35:1)
Starring Gene Hackman, Ben Stiller, Luke Wilson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Owen Wilson, Anjelica Huston, Danny Glover, Bill Murray
Written by Anderson and Wilson
Nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay (2002)

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
(2004 - Touchstone Pictures - 2.35:1)
Starring Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Willem Dafoe, Cate Blanchett, Anjelica Huston, Jeff Goldblum, Michael Gambon, Bud Cort
Written by Anderson and Noah Baumbach

The Darjeeling Limited
(2007 - Fox Searchlight Pictures - 2.35:1)
Starring Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody, Jason Schwartzman, Anjelica Huston, Bill Murray (cameo)
Written by Anderson, Schwartzman, and Roman Coppola

Hotel Chevalier
(2007 - short film - 2.35:1)
Starring Jason Schwartzman, Natalie Portman
Written by Anderson
Shown as prologue preceding The Darjeeling Limited theatrically and on home video

Fantastic Mr. Fox
(2009 - Fox Searchlight Pictures - 1.85:1)
Featuring the vocal talents of George Clooney, Meryl Streep, and many others
Written by Anderson and Noah Baumbach
Based upon the novel by Roald Dahl (published by Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., United States)
Nominated for the Academy Awards for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Score (2010)

Moonrise Kingdom
(2012 - Focus Features - 1.85:1)
Starring Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, Bob Balaban
Written by Anderson and Baumbach
Nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay (2013)
Nominated for Palme d'Or [Cannes Film Festival] (2012)

The Grand Budapest Hotel
(2014 - Fox Searchlight Pictures - 1.85:1/1.33:1/2.35:1)
Starring Ralph Fiennes, F. Murray Abraham, Mathieu Amalric, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Harvey Keitel, Jude Law, Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Saoirse Ronan, Jason Schwartzman, Léa Seydoux, Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson, Owen Wilson, Tony Revolori
Written by Anderson and Hugo Guinness
List of accolades and rewards received

Chapter Two:

You will find nearly all of Wes Anderson's films in the highly admired Criterion Collection (est. 1984, New York City) on Blu-Ray Disc and DVD format.

Here is a YouTube video with excerpts from the films of Wes Anderson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f56Ta6umxTI

And one of my personal favorite moments from his films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5SRdYsscLc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

*jerks off into own mouth* ah the authentic Wes Anderson experience

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I can stick my dick into my own rear end in a top hat

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
thank you for this good thread OP, wes seems to be a love or hate type of thing

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
The one with gene hackman was good the rest suck

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

amityville anus posted:

I can stick my dick into my own rear end in a top hat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRibnHiuZkQ

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Precious, twee nonsense.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Life Aquatic sucks and nerds only like it because you watch Bill Murray get high and listen to David Bowie in Portuguese.

Wait that sounds awesome.

So why was it so loving boring to watch?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Life Aquatic is kind of like the weirdest telling of Beowulf ever and I love it.

Moonrise Kingdom is probably my favorite so far, but I need to see more of his stuff. My first Anderson film was Darjeeling Limited, which I saw in the theaters.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think The Life Aquatic will be appreciated more over time.

The Royal Tenenbaums, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and The Grand Budapest Hotel are drat near perfect, though.

I didn't care for Rushmore or Moonrise Kingdom much, but I've only seen them once.

(Bottle Rocket is pretty good and the bookstore robbery is great)

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

This was playing in my head when i made that post

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

I thought Darjeeling Limited sucked and was boring, am I just missing something? The others I've seen were fun to watch, even though they are paced really goddamn slow.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I saw Moonrise Kingdom and felt uncomfortable and then googled a picture of Wes Anderson and the two confirmed my suspicions that he's a pedo.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Life Aquatic is not the best film but its the most Wes Anderson film

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Life Aquatic is not the best film but its the most Wes Anderson film

it was pretty good too boot

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blacktoll posted:

I saw Moonrise Kingdom and felt uncomfortable and then googled a picture of Wes Anderson and the two confirmed my suspicions that he's a pedo.

I think he's just :spergin:

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Nice post, OP. Enjoying these director threads. Do a David Lynch one next.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

Nice post, OP. Enjoying these director threads. Do a David Lynch one next.

I'd do Lynch, but I haven't seen a lot of his key works yet. Still need to see Dune, Wild at Heart, Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, Muholland Dr., and Inland Empire.

There's only a few directors I've seen all their existing work - Kubrick, Anderson, Tati, Melies, and Mel Brooks. I'm close on Hitchcock (seen all but two of his American films and his non-major British films), Welles (two left), and Tarantino (got The Hateful Eight from Netflix right now).

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Re: David Lunch
https://youtu.be/snhiofL2Rh4

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=senNDipdmPo

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
the best Wes Anderson clip is only 3 sec long

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5dMCHHHO2V0

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'M GONNA MACE YOU IN THE FACE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy6ANzdhy1s

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Iron Prince posted:

the best Wes Anderson clip is only 3 sec long

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5dMCHHHO2V0

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Turdo posted:

I thought Darjeeling Limited sucked and was boring, am I just missing something? The others I've seen were fun to watch, even though they are paced really goddamn slow.

Nah I thought the same. Easily I think his worst one. Moonrise was better but a bit of a dud to me too. Budapest hotel was cool and v pretty so he can still make good movies at least

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
wes andrerson is cool and his movies are really good but sometimes he really goes too far with wes anderson-isms and its kind of eye roll worthy

fantastic mr fox is really good but also i feel like the ending is really weird. like like up until the very end its setting up a situation where the awkward kid just continues being awkward and instead he just like suddenly becomes physically talented and saves the day and everything. other than that tho its great

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Your thread is great. Congratulations. Seriously.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Moonrise Kingdom is my favorite but they're all pretty good, though I haven't seen Darjeeling

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
I was reading about him once and found a website trying to prove he was a pedophile. It was kinda convincing.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Isn't everyone in Hollywood a pedophile anyways?

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
This was something like "He has little boys in all his movies and they make out and get boners or wear speedos" and "He focuses on sexual taboos" like the brother sister relationship in Royal Tennanbaums and the man who liked old 85 year old women in Grand Budapest.

I think Wes probably is attracted to little boys. His next film will probably have some random little boys in it for no reason like he always does.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
ooohh, wes anderson! i love him. my favorite is the one where it's really fussy and stylized, the writing is really arch, and none of the characters register as anything close to recognizable human beings.

you know, that one.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Saturday Night Live is generally poo poo but even Wes Anderson was too low-hanging of a fruit for them

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dead gay son posted:

Your thread is great. Congratulations. Seriously.

do you have a link to where your name came from?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
moonrise kingdom made me uncomfortable and i haven't seen gbh but i like the reSt

dude has some mommy issues tho you can tell that from the way he writes women lol

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
are you from cineD. the only thing i recognize in this gay thread is AVP and the part where like the aliens are like laying eggs in pregnant women in the hospital or some poo poo that was crazy

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
im from cinedeez nuts

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

AARO posted:

This was something like "He has little boys in all his movies and they make out and get boners or wear speedos" and "He focuses on sexual taboos" like the brother sister relationship in Royal Tennanbaums and the man who liked old 85 year old women in Grand Budapest.

I think Wes probably is attracted to little boys. His next film will probably have some random little boys in it for no reason like he always does.

Except a lot of this is him referencing movies.

The Royal Tenenbaums borrows a lot from The Magnificent Ambersons, which has a subplot of half siblings in love.

The recurring theme of strong child characters is probably from his love for The 400 Blows. Rushmore particularly borrows a lot from the film.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Egbert Souse posted:

The recurring theme of strong child characters is probably from his love for The 400 Blows. Rushmore particularly borrows a lot from the film.

Lol you just said "His love of French films featuring boys absolves him of any suspicion from having boys in all of his films." Of course a pedophile is going to love films about little French boys.

Also Rushmore was about a 15yo student in love with a teacher. This dude is definitely interested in sexual taboos.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Grand Budapest Hotel is real good and I can only describe it as magical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Royal Tenenbaums was important to me because it was when I really started to appreciate film as an art. I was still in high school and saw movies like 8 1/2 and Citizen Kane for the first time. The Grand Budapest Hotel is just as amazing and it helps to have some of the best characters Anderson has written. It could have been a poo poo script, but I think half the film's magic comes from one of the best casts ever.

(Also, looking at IMDB and Wikipedia, I really doubt he's a pedo.)

• Locked thread