Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Wes Anderson film?
Bottle Rocket
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Darjeeling Limited
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Moonrise Kingdom
The Grand Budapest Hotel
AVP: Alien vs. Predator
View Results

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wes Anderson makes enjoyable films.

Also, you can almost always tell an Anderson film from a single screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Wes Anderson makes enjoyable films.

Also, you can almost always tell an Anderson film from a single screenshot.

He's had the same cinematographer on all his films except for Fantastic Mr. Fox, Robert Yeoman. And Fox was shot by Tristan Oliver, who shot all the Wallace and Gromit films.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

SirSamVimes posted:

Grand Budapest Hotel is real good and I can only describe it as magical

I was getting pretty tired of his movies but god drat if Grand Budapest Hotel wasn't just a fantastic movie all the way through.

Egbert Souse posted:

The Royal Tenenbaums was important to me because it was when I really started to appreciate film as an art. I was still in high school and saw movies like 8 1/2 and Citizen Kane for the first time. The Grand Budapest Hotel is just as amazing and it helps to have some of the best characters Anderson has written. It could have been a poo poo script, but I think half the film's magic comes from one of the best casts ever.

(Also, looking at IMDB and Wikipedia, I really doubt he's a pedo.)

I love his regular cast and they're fantastic in everything he puts them in but wow, if Ralph Fiennes and Gene Hackman didn't steal the absolute poo poo out of the movies they were in. I never really thought about his scripts but yeah they are pretty weak stories on their own. But when the cast and cinematography are tossed in they just become delightful. I wish more directors were able to do that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bottle Rocket is really very good still today, Life Aquatic is funny because Bill Murray and Jeff Goldblum are funny, Darjeeling Limited is funny all the way through and touching. My friend really likes Rushmore and my mom really likes Royal Tennybaums. Thanks for reading guys I'm Shawn 10yrs old at Franklin Elementary

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Shakill OReal posted:

Bottle Rocket is really very good still today, Life Aquatic is funny because Bill Murray and Jeff Goldblum are funny, Darjeeling Limited is funny all the way through and touching. My friend really likes Rushmore and my mom really likes Royal Tennybaums. Thanks for reading guys I'm Shawn 10yrs old at Franklin Elementary

Thanks Shawn!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Rushmore is his only film I haven't seen. Am I missing out?

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

I wouldn't list it as one of his best but a lot of people really enjoy it. It probably depends on how much Jason Schwarzman you can handle.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Royal Tenembaums and Mr Fox are great, but goddamn Darjeeling is the worst kind of tripe. They carry around their father's baggage for the whole film, which, get this, resembles their father's emotional baggage! They throw this away in slow motion at the end to symbolise letting go OOPS SPOILERS. Also the most sensible character buys a poisonous snake in a box because LOL. Piece of poo poo.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't he hang with the dude that made the old x men movies and he throws parties where he invites a lot of boys to come hang out with him and other disgusting examples of humanity?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

Royal Tenembaums and Mr Fox are great, but goddamn Darjeeling is the worst kind of tripe. They carry around their father's baggage for the whole film, which, get this, resembles their father's emotional baggage! They throw this away in slow motion at the end to symbolise letting go OOPS SPOILERS. Also the most sensible character buys a poisonous snake in a box because LOL. Piece of poo poo.

Yeah Darjeeling Limited sucked but it had one great scene-- when Owen Wilson took off the bandages on his face in the mirror and his brothers ask him questions about how much it hurts and for a hot minute it's like they're all children again. Seriously magical poo poo. It almost feels like the whole movie was built around that one scene. It's a pity there isn't a good movie to go around it.

I really don't like Life Aquatic. I mean I get it and I can see why other people like it, and there are definitely parts I enjoy, it just doesn't really get to me. Moonrise Kingdom was good until the third act. The only time Wes Anderson can do decent action is when he's deliberately taking the piss out of it like the Ski Scene in Grand Budapest Hotel or the Pirate stuff in Life Aquatic. Having the main character sincerely get struck by lightning and then climb a church tower in the rain is not only a few magical/early cinema stretches beyond his capability, it's loving boring.

A few years ago I lived in an area that had an older-style arthouse theater with an interior that hadn't been updated since the early 80s-- musty old curtains, cramped seats with a green velvet-like lining, no cupholders, poor ventilation, tiny screen. It was the perfect place to watch Moonrise Kingdom and Grand Budapest.

He Who Smelt It
Jun 14, 2012
I think life aquatic is great, don't really understand the hate for it.

I need to watch Grand Budapest hotel again.

My list of top 3 wes Anderson movies:
1. The life aquatic
2. Grand Budapest hotel
3. Fantastic Mr. Fox

Don't watch the others they're all garbage and Wes Anderson is probably a pedo.
Watch swiss army man instead if you feel like watching something Wes Anderson-y

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

ElectricSheep posted:

Saturday Night Live is generally poo poo but even Wes Anderson was too low-hanging of a fruit for them

drat. I really want to see Wes Anderson do a slasher movie now.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
I always felt like he was really same-y. He does Wes Anderson very well but it's one of those things. With the director's mark being stamped so prominently in the foreground, it's hard to lose myself in the movie, like with other directors.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i liked the darjeeling limited

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
I've watched all of these and enjoyed them but if you asked me to tell you about one of them, I'd have no loving idea. I like the way his films are cast and shot but I really don't like his storytelling. It's not memorable. A dry fart.

I would rather be posting in the David Lynch thread.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I liked the part in Life Aquatic where Bill Murray keeps shooting the gun without reloading and then leaving the dog behind after calling the pirates idiots for leaving the dog behind.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
The Grand Budapest Hotel is my favorite because of the hilarious scene where Goldblum gets his fingers cut off by a heavy sliding door. I think that may be the most violent part in any of Wes Anderson's movies, actually.

The cat defenestration was also great.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

fits my needs posted:

Doesn't he hang with the dude that made the old x men movies and he throws parties where he invites a lot of boys to come hang out with him and other disgusting examples of humanity?

That's Bryan Singer

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
It would be nice to see him step away from the twee dollhouse bullshit he's fallen into over the last couple films. It was cute at first, but he's using that poo poo like a crutch now.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I own a pair of Zissou adidas and will fight everybody ITT.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I picked Rushmore because it was the first of his films that I saw and I really liked it. All of his movies are pretty good though.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

counterpoint: they are insufferable trash

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Moonrise Kingdom is supposed to be uncomfortable, its a story seen through the eyes of a 12 year old boy, lol at the people itt screaming about pedophiles

:ughh:

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Wes Anderson is just ok.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter Three:

Egbert Souse opines on the motion pictures directed by Wes Anderson.

Bottle Rocket - Funnier and better than I was expecting. Not a bad debut film. The bookstore robbery is hilarious and Anderson's style is already in place.
Rushmore - Artistically stunning, but I think Max and Herman aren't likable enough to grab hold of the story. I'm due for a rewatch, though.
The Royal Tenenbaums - His first masterpiece. Funny, touching, and just A+ storytelling. Fantastic cast and soundtrack.
The Life Aquatic - I like this more than other people do probably because it's so quotable and quirky. Another great soundtrack.
The Darjeeling Limited - I found this to be different from his previous work, but as endearing. The pepper spray scene is amazing.
Fantastic Mr. Fox - One of the best animated features, possibly the best stop-motion. I love the "homemade" look of the animation rather than being overly polished, yet it undoubtedly looks like an Anderson film.
Moonrise Kingdom - Meh, but it's due for a rewatch. Perhaps a bit too clinical?
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Second masterpiece. I love the nestled narrative, the gorgeous cinematography, and another great cast. This has one of the best original scores of recent years.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Luvcow posted:

Moonrise Kingdom is supposed to be uncomfortable, its a story seen through the eyes of a 12 year old boy, lol at the people itt screaming about pedophiles

The scene that people are like to cite that makes them think this is the sequence where The two kids kiss and partially undress each other.. People seem to be looking to try and paint this scene in a perverse light, but the most obvious interpretation is that the scene is meant to showcase that these ARE still just kids. The whole movie has them acting and behaving far older than they really are, and a lot of the movie's themes are about growing up, maturity in all its various forms. At that point the story is reminding the audience of the protagonist's youth, to establish that they are vulnerable, right as the storm is about to come in and wash away their childhoods forever.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
aw summer camp

aw nostalgia

aw quaint anachronism

aw aw

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Luvcow posted:

I remember when people screamed pedophile about the chick who made Steven Universe bc she drew Ed Edd and Eddy loving each other.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

shovelbum posted:

I remember when people screamed pedophile about the chick who made Steven Universe bc she drew Ed Edd and Eddy loving each other.

I wouldn't call her a pedo, but it somehow doesn't surprise me that she now works on a cartoon for kids about rocks loving each other.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I wouldn't call her a pedo, but it somehow doesn't surprise me that she now works on a cartoon for kids about rocks loving each other.

:frogon:

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

For what it's worth, every cartoonist in history learned to draw so they could draw people/things loving

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And if by some miracle they didn't most of them supplement their income by drawing people/things loving for fans willing to pay far too much money for drawings of those things.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

It's not my favorite Wes Anderson movie but Darjeeling Limited is the best chick flick about dudes I've ever seen.

pr0spector88
Aug 18, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Horniest Manticore posted:

aw summer camp

aw nostalgia

aw quaint anachronism

aw aw

i really love these films because they directly make fun of power play attempt comments like this :)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rushmore owns and is the film with the most human characters. The Life Aquatic is a movie about the ocean, so it makes sense to me that it is a lot of slow, roiling tension that pops in a few places.

The Royal Tennenbaums was the film that made me appreciate movies as something else besides action and stuff and every scene and every sound are perfect.

The full length Bottle Rocket is great, but it is very hard to watch twice, because it's a much sadder film the second time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pr0spector88 posted:

i really love these films because they directly make fun of power play attempt comments like this :)

Yeah it's :ironicat: as gently caress the way people think that Wes Anderson flicks aren't extremely self-aware and in on the joke.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
His movies are enjoyable, touching, and lovingly made, however

Noun Verber posted:

It would be nice to see him step away from the twee dollhouse bullshit

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I seem to like all of his movies, but the Darjeeling Limited least of all for reasons provided by other people in this thread. Rushmore has always been my favorite, though. I first saw it at a time where I myself was coming of age and seeing this teen take chances and stick it to the man was really the type of punk rock I needed at age 10.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dogmeat posted:

It's not my favorite Wes Anderson movie but Darjeeling Limited is the best chick flick about dudes I've ever seen.

holy poo poo it totally is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Expanding on the wish for Wes to ease up on the pastel doll house shtick, I'd be happy if he retired a few of his actors and brought in new blood. It pulls me out of the story when I keep seeing the Wilson bros, Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman, as good as they may be.

Anderson clearly gets good performances from his cast so let a new roster carry the next film because I doubt he'll stop with the twee stuff (see: Ralph Fiennes)

• Locked thread