Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Wes Anderson film?
Bottle Rocket
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Darjeeling Limited
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Moonrise Kingdom
The Grand Budapest Hotel
AVP: Alien vs. Predator
View Results

• Locked thread
a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I've never seen a Wes Anderson film, but I think I'd like to. Where should I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

TheNightmanCum-eth posted:

I've never seen a Wes Anderson film, but I think I'd like to. Where should I start?

I think Grand Budapest is the better film but Royal Tennenbaums is my favorite.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Toadvine posted:

Expanding on the wish for Wes to ease up on the pastel doll house shtick, I'd be happy if he retired a few of his actors and brought in new blood. It pulls me out of the story when I keep seeing the Wilson bros, Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman, as good as they may be.

Anderson clearly gets good performances from his cast so let a new roster carry the next film because I doubt he'll stop with the twee stuff (see: Ralph Fiennes)

Yeah but keep Eddy Norton

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are you a casual viewer or are you a film student

If you're a film student do Grand Budapest I guess but I don't know anyone who particularly liked it who wasn't looking at it from the perspective of films as fine art.

If you're not do Life Aquatic it's the best intro to his schtick or the feature-length version of Bottle Rocket because it's his first and the most grounded in reality

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
bottle rocket owns

people just need to watch it twice to really get it

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

I'd go with Fantastic Mr. Fox

I think that one is obviously the easiest one to get into.

I somewhat liked Darjeeling Limited, it had some really nice camera work and vibrancy but its execution was a bit meh and

to not sound like a total jerkoff who has no idea what shes talking about

Owen Wilson is cool and I hope he gets more roles in Wes Andy movies

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Darjeeling Limited is probably the best "first" Anderson film because it's the most accessible and it's also his most...hm...I guess it's to say, if you've already seen a lot of Wes Anderson films, you may not get a lot out of Darjeeling.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah but keep Eddy Norton

Anderson's next movie is another stop motion animated one and Norton is doing some voice work for it. Also Jeff Goldblum and Bryan Cranston. It's about dogs.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Dogmeat posted:

Anderson's next movie is another stop motion animated one and Norton is doing some voice work for it. Also Jeff Goldblum and Bryan Cranston. It's about dogs.

awesome

jeffery goldyb is a dreamboat too~

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
I always kinda figured I didn't like him but looking at the list of his movies I realize nah, most of em are pretty good. Never saw the fox one, watching it tonight with some small people and a big lizard

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Darjeeling Limited is probably the best "first" Anderson film because it's the most accessible and it's also his most...hm...I guess it's to say, if you've already seen a lot of Wes Anderson films, you may not get a lot out of Darjeeling.

I felt like it was self indulgent and did nothing for me at all even though I knew I should have been enjoying it :(

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Gatekeeper posted:

I felt like it was self indulgent

Ha welcome to Wes Anderson

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
darjeeling limited has a weird mommy abandoned me so all women are bitches vibe going on imo

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Just watch The Grand Budapest Hotel, and gently caress everything else. Wes Anderson is good but you get everything that's good about him along with an exciting story which is fuckin' rare w/ this dude.

Also everything is so perfectly symmetrical that you will have a hard time comprehending it if you're more than a little baked

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Thanks for the suggestions! I actually just watched Moonrise Kingdom because it's on Netflix, and honestly I really liked it. It had its weird moments, but overall it was cool. Definitely liked Ed Norton and the Khaki Scouts.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why is AVP on the list but not the entire list of Resident Evil movies?

This must be fixed immediately

Paul Anderson is the best Anderson

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd do Lynch, but I haven't seen a lot of his key works yet. Still need to see Dune, Wild at Heart, Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, Muholland Dr., and Inland Empire.

There's only a few directors I've seen all their existing work - Kubrick, Anderson, Tati, Melies, and Mel Brooks. I'm close on Hitchcock (seen all but two of his American films and his non-major British films), Welles (two left), and Tarantino (got The Hateful Eight from Netflix right now).
Have you not seen all of James Cameron's work? Granted 'Piranha 2' isn't the most popular movie if you're going for absolute completionism, but the rest of his stuff is easy to get ahold of.

On topic, I don't think I've ever seen a Wes Anderson movie from beginning to end but it's not because I didn't like them; I just haven't devoted the time to watch his movies or I ended up getting sidetracked by something else.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Why is AVP on the list but not the entire list of Resident Evil movies?

This must be fixed immediately

Paul Anderson is the best Anderson

Paul WS Anderson's best movie is Event Horizon, and I'm saying that as someone with the username "Xenomrph" and an Alien egg avatar.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

pr0spector88 posted:

i really love these films because they directly make fun of power play attempt comments like this :)

oh so he makes crappy movies, but he ~KNOWS~ they're crappy so that makes them okay

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
if Owen Wilson co-writes with Wes Anderson, the movie will have a lot of dry, deadpan humor.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Olivia Williams is a babe

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Xenomrph posted:

Paul WS Anderson's best movie is Event Horizon, and I'm saying that as someone with the username "Xenomrph" and an Alien egg avatar.

I remember Pandorum as being an entertaining watch

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

Rushmore owns and is the film with the most human characters. The Life Aquatic is a movie about the ocean, so it makes sense to me that it is a lot of slow, roiling tension that pops in a few places.

The Royal Tennenbaums was the film that made me appreciate movies as something else besides action and stuff and every scene and every sound are perfect.

The full length Bottle Rocket is great, but it is very hard to watch twice, because it's a much sadder film the second time.

+1

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Toadvine posted:

Ha welcome to Wes Anderson

no lol I meant like self indulgent even for wes Anderson, like masturbatory basically. "you guys know that poo poo i like to do? well here's a whole bunch of it ungghhh yeah here comes some more ungungghuhg pffffttp unnggg don't you fuckin look at me unngggggggffffllllllppppppppprmmmmm. fin."

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Rushmore is my fav Wes Anderson movie.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions! I actually just watched Moonrise Kingdom because it's on Netflix, and honestly I really liked it. It had its weird moments, but overall it was cool. Definitely liked Ed Norton and the Khaki Scouts.

IMHO Moonrise Kingdom is some of his Weakest poo poo. I seriously recommend Grand Budapest Hotel. I haven't seen rushmore or bottle rocket but i've seen everything from tenenbaums onward and i seriously think it's the best thing he's done. It's also pretty recent, and it has action which is usually extremely lacking in his movies.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

ElectricSheep posted:

Pandorum was pretty much the best thing I accidentally found on Netflix and it's a tragedy it hasn't been back in ages. Well, that and Ravenous which might still be on there.

E: Event Horizon is still way better.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dogmeat posted:

Good, those are 4 things I like

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ElectricSheep posted:

Pandorum is cool, although that's not Paul WS Anderson.

But if you like Event Horizon, the movies Ghost Ship, Virus, and Deep Rising (and the video games Dead Space, and Cold Fear) are exactly the same.

And I don't mean that as a slight against any of those, they're all cool in their own way even though their plot execution is literally identical.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I like Wes Anderson movies.

Love the royal tenenbaums

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

does he have a bad relationship with his father

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That's just dog blood

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Xenomrph posted:

Pandorum is cool, although that's not Paul WS Anderson.

Wow, for the longest time I thought he helmed that one but after what you said I took a look and it turns out he was a producer for it, not the director.

Funny, because it hits the hallmarks of what I felt defined Event Horizon: good set design and genuinely creepy moments marred by some interesting script/dialogue issues and directing choices, which led up to an entertaining flick that fell short of being more than a cult classic.

I like that it was probably the best "used future" aesthetic I'd seen since Alien.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
Darjeeling is my favorite personally but grand budapest is probably his best, RT and rushmore are great too.

Moonrise was a good movie and all but it burned me out on the cutesy poo poo before the halfway mark.

Might watch bottle rocket or the fox one tonight.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A great many artists ply their trade in stories of misfits and outcasts who don't understand or get along with the world, but Wes Anderson's genuinely echo the tunnel vision, impressionistic artifice ('dollhouse twee"), stilted communication, "special interest" focus, and "wrong planet" feelings characteristic of Aspergers Syndrome.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Have you not seen all of James Cameron's work? Granted 'Piranha 2' isn't the most popular movie if you're going for absolute completionism, but the rest of his stuff is easy to get ahold of.

On topic, I don't think I've ever seen a Wes Anderson movie from beginning to end but it's not because I didn't like them; I just haven't devoted the time to watch his movies or I ended up getting sidetracked by something else.

I haven't seen his two underwater documentaries or Piranha 2, but I'm not as much of a fan. I like his films, but The Abyss is the only one of his I'd rank as a masterpiece. Not to say his other films are bad, but he's probably the finest popcorn movie director around.

There's only a few directors I've seen all their (existing) work: Kubrick, Anderson, Tati, Melies, almost Tarantino (got The Hateful Eight waiting from Netflix), and almost Welles (just need to see The Immortal Story and Chimes at Midnight, which come out next week on Blu-Ray).

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

mind the walrus posted:

A great many artists ply their trade in stories of misfits and outcasts who don't understand or get along with the world, but Wes Anderson's genuinely echo the tunnel vision, impressionistic artifice ('dollhouse twee"), stilted communication, "special interest" focus, and "wrong planet" feelings characteristic of Aspergers Syndrome.

Coming straight from his writing, sure. But I think he's a better director than writer and the performances he gets out of his cast more than make up for it. His characters are just more compelling than most even if they're weird. He can create stereotypical characters that don't rely on tropes, and his actors are all extremely charismatic and I think it works.

I'd easily list the Coen bros. over Wes but I can't think of any other writer/directors that are as good or even as consistent as either of them. At least contemporary ones.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
i think a strength of his films is that he has generally garbage unlikable people as characters and unstead of trying to "fix" or justify them he just puts them in context so you can come to like or at least understand them a little. see jason swhatshisface and bill murray in rushmore and literally everyone in RT and darjeeling

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
he does do a great job of bringing together an ensemble of assholes and making it work into a compelling movie

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If you haven't seen the Grand Budapest Hotel, go see the Grand Budapest Hotel.

If you have seen the Grand Budapest Hotel, go see the Grand Budapest Hotel.

Everyone should just go watch the Grand Budapest Hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
grand budapest is the only one he's made where his twee indie charming bullshit actually works and results in a brilliant movie instead of a tedious slog

• Locked thread