Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I mean, I have technically sat in that model of truck. :v:

Just not that specific one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

I mean, I have technically sat in that model of truck. :v:

Just not that specific one.

So what you're saying full engine rebuilds should be accepted as a natural part of the internet car buying prices?? :v:

I seriously think buying a daily driver sight unseen is pretty stupid in most cases. Even for a brand New car I would still want to know what the seats feel like. That said, I fail to see how this new approach is any different than CarMax. CarMax is a mess in my opinion because 90% of the stock is the same booring poo poo box just in a different color and an extra price premium to own wait for that special econo turd in the perfect color to be delivered from halfway across the country. gently caress that model, I am flexible on the color and most options, I can wait until the right car comes available locally without the shipping fee. I don't believe "I want it now!" is a good thing in car buying, it's not like people buy new cars every other week.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Crotch Fruit posted:

it's not like people buy new cars every other week.

You must be new to this subforum.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

So what you're saying full engine rebuilds should be accepted as a natural part of the internet car buying prices?? :v:

I seriously think buying a daily driver sight unseen is pretty stupid in most cases. Even for a brand New car I would still want to know what the seats feel like. That said, I fail to see how this new approach is any different than CarMax. CarMax is a mess in my opinion because 90% of the stock is the same booring poo poo box just in a different color and an extra price premium to own wait for that special econo turd in the perfect color to be delivered from halfway across the country. gently caress that model, I am flexible on the color and most options, I can wait until the right car comes available locally without the shipping fee. I don't believe "I want it now!" is a good thing in car buying, it's not like people buy new cars every other week.

For one thing at car max you can buy used range rovers/ Aston martins etc... And buy a warranty that will actually fix them when they break. But yes for anyone slightly versed in autos you can get a much better deal private party (with due diligence)

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Crotch Fruit posted:

I mean, if you're buying a sub-$1000 car, yeah, you get what you pay for. (Rust and tears :v:)

quote:

But yeah, if I'm gonna buy a car to daily drive, I need to know what it's like on the inside. How it feels, how it sits, how it drives.
Like for example, for a while I thought I'd really like a Dodge Magnum. Then I sat in one and drove it. The interior was horrid, it wasn't fun to drive, and it was hard to see out of. Did a total 180 on my thoughts about the car.

It's nice to be able to get a feel for what the car is like, and as tempting as it would be to be able to order a car to my specs off the internet, I'd still like to be able to drive down to a dealership and sit in it first.
Maybe that could be the new model. A garage and a small lot with a handful of new models just to test drive. Everything else is done online.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ExplodingSims posted:

The only real reason I can think of for dealerships sticking around is for test drives. There's no way I'd buy a car, any car without getting a chance to sit in it first.

hope you like paying $1200-$1500 for a manufacturer to deliver your car on a rollback without storage depots strategically placed to hold inventory overflow

as long as manufacturers have staging areas to save on shipping costs, they are going to stick sales and service departments on them

this is really the #1 reason why dealerships still exist, simple logistics

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

everdave posted:

For one thing at car max you can buy used range rovers/ Aston martins etc... And buy a warranty that will actually fix them when they break. But yes for anyone slightly versed in autos you can get a much better deal private party (with due diligence)

It's my understanding that since that article ran their warranties have gotten more expensive and hard to use (as in they'll deny coverage at every opportunity). Too many people were taking advantage of the warranty to do exactly what you're saying and they were losing money on it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

It's my understanding that since that article ran their warranties have gotten more expensive and hard to use (as in they'll deny coverage at every opportunity). Too many people were taking advantage of the warranty to do exactly what you're saying and they were losing money on it.

Well that sucks

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

VikingSkull posted:

hope you like paying $1200-$1500 for a manufacturer to deliver your car on a rollback without storage depots strategically placed to hold inventory overflow

Ever bought a new car? They already charge you the freight that was paid to get it to the dealership.

It's sticker price + freight/shipping + taxes/eco fees + dealer bullshit add ons + financing costs + dealer accessories and 3rd party crap to get your out the door price.

Generally you want to decline the dealer acc and 3rd party stuff, and talk them down on their bullshit paperwork fees or whatever they try to squeeze in.

I'll join the bandwagon, dealers are outdated and the vast majority of them are scum.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Buy a Tesla, problem solved.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Honestly I would rather buy from enterprise used car sales than vroom. Too many of those trucks scream oilfield repo to me. I can't fathom why else a 1-2 y/o truck with rims and a lift kit with a reported lien wound up going through an auction. Their prices aren't good at all either, I feel like I could have done better at a new car dealership than on most of those.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
Edit

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 15, 2016

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Yes let me put down five figures before I can even see the car in person. How could this go wrong?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Fuelslt1 posted:

This makes me laugh. I work in internet sales for a Ford dealer and have gone through extensive training on every model.
Out of curiosity, what does "extensive training" entail? Are they tested for knowledge? Is it reading the sales brochure? Honest question.

For each new car I've bought I easily knew more than the salesperson with a few hours of simple browsing on the internet and it certainly isn't feigning ignorance. If anything I was feigning ignorance to help the poor bastard save some semblance of face.

Best dealer I had was a Subaru dealer and he at least knew the option packages well and maintenance schedule OK (if not exact) but most of the others, especially domestics, holy moly. The salesperson could have been selling mattresses earlier that day for what they knew.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fuelslt1 posted:

This makes me laugh. I work in internet sales for a Ford dealer and have gone through extensive training on every model. I would probably treat you like a kid too because you came off as an rear end in a top hat at the dealership. "No, you can't drive the Fiesta ST.....because you are being a douche-canoe."

We deal with a revolving door of "informed customers" just like you on a daily basis, it's fun to gouge you out of spite & then inform the finance department to do the same because you sir, were a dick. If you were nice, courteous and acted like a normal human being I would sell the new vehicle to you at or below invoice before rebates, then tell finance to offer you employee pricing on warranties/add-ons.

Edit: I'm not even a Ford enthusiast and still know more than 99% of the population.

You sound like the douche-canoe in here. A few weeks ago I went down to my well-regarded Ford dealer on a whim and I was ready to go home with something new that day. I had my X-plan pin (that everyone seemed to have heard of but no one really knew how that worked), they had no idea on available incentives that I had pulled from the Ford website THAT MORNING and they were clueless on little things like HOW MUCH IT WOULD BE TO ADD A ROOF RACK TO AN ESCAPE OR THE NEW SYNC IN THE 2017 MODEL DETAILS

So STFU

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
Edit

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 15, 2016

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fuelslt1 posted:

X-plan is the discount employees of certain companies receive on new Ford vehicles, I can beat that price all day long so I'm super glad you brought that PIN in.

Available incentives are listed clearly on my program which I clearly show and explain to you so you can make the best decision as to whether financing rate or discount is better for your situation.

I don't know how much it would be to add a roof rack unless it was an add-on option or part of a package, go ask the parts department...they have the price for the part.

2017 model information is handed down from Ford as the models near their release dates, they may not have received that info yet.

I'd make sure you left my dealership happy, writing me a 5-star review and content that you got the best deal. While I sat there counting the $2-$5k you could have saved if you were cool.

EDIT:

Well you see you loving bitch I WAS COOL, the salesman and the manager were nothing but nice, I left my email and phone with what I was looking for and the exact questions I had. I told them what I saw on the X-plan site but that to please put something together and hit me with an out the door price, or I told them I was willing to put ANY AMOUNT down and finance it with Ford if that would offer both of us better incentives. How could you ask for a better customer? They never bothered to follow up with me. If you want me to spend 25 thousand plus dollar on a Saturday morning YOU can walk the gently caress over to the parts department and find out how much a roof rack will cost me.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fuelslt1 posted:

So...so angry. You left your email & phone? If you are spending $25k on a new vehicle why aren't you sitting down and discussing numbers on paper in the dealership like a normal person?

You don't have to play the bartering game or the "GIVE ME YOUR BEST OTD PRICE!", I hate doing it too on my end.

If you had sat down and said "This is the vehicle I want with Stock # 12345, I really enjoyed the test drive I just took with you. I would like to put $1,000 down, choose the 0% for 72 month financing option and here is my home address for taxes." I would say "Great, give me 5 minutes and I'll give you the exact numbers you are looking for."

Don't you see this is what people hate about dealerships? And by no means am I saying I had a bad experience again they were as nice as can be. If Ford had a website where I could have gone and picked the color and options I wanted and it showed me a price I would have clicked BUY IT NOW that morning. If the dealership acted like they in any way knew about their product and hit me with a fair price I would have either wrote them a check or as I said, I was willing to finance with Ford Credit knowing that earns them some incentive (I would have just paid it off in a few months). They couldn't be bothered to even get back with me. I couldn't stay at the dealership I had an event to attend to. I made it clear if they got back with me (and this is sincere) I would have been back down that afternoon to sign the deal. I don't want to do the song and dance just tell me how much the loving car costs and who to make the check out to.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah, that's kind of the point. In a perfect world, I don't want to ever have to interact with a car salesman in any professional context beyond checking inventory and supervising test drives ever again. The vast majority of information they can provide on a product, I can browse on my cell phone from the manufacturers web site, and I have absolutely no incentive to negotiate with someone who is mostly a middle man between myself and the manufacturer's financing scheme with a profit motive for making himself money in the middle.

That's assuming new car sales, of course. Used car salesmen can die in a tire fire, I expect more honest information out of guys selling dodgy stereo equipment out of the back of a van down under the viaduct.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

When I was 20 my mom passed away and fortunately she had a life insurance policy that I guess paid out enough to cover the modest funeral services and my dad decided I needed a new car to get around since the family van I had been driving was so old. To be fair the van was running fine and I was happy with it but regardless, super generous. I didn't ask for anything at all and it was kind of a surprise to me really.

Anyway, most dealerships I went to were really cool and let me test drive whatever I wanted within reason (I was looking at small base model hatchbacks so it wasn't like I was trying to drive a new GT350 or anything) but there was one chain of dealerships that absolutely refused to let me test drive anything at 3 of their locations. Not even a Hyundai Accent with manual roll up windows. I had morning classes and worked part time so I was going in at like 2 on a Wednesday.

Needless to say that was almost 10 years ago and to this day I will not buy a car from anywhere with that dude's name on it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is fascinating. Fuelslt1 is so indoctrinated into the dealership model/mindset that he doesn't even realize how or why it pisses people off.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don't ask for an OTD price, come in and play four square and i'll show you you can actually afford the paint protection and undercoating!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Seriously! I can have almost anything in the world overnighted to me with the click of a mouse. I literally go to a dealership and ask to be told a price on a car so I can take one home and this in your eyes makes ME the idiot

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

What really kills me is all the dealerships with online inventories and whatnot, and pricing that just says 'Call For Pricing!'.

It's like they went halfway towards e-commerce and then crawled back up their own asses in terror.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Bajaha posted:

Ever bought a new car? They already charge you the freight that was paid to get it to the dealership.

It's sticker price + freight/shipping + taxes/eco fees + dealer bullshit add ons + financing costs + dealer accessories and 3rd party crap to get your out the door price.

Generally you want to decline the dealer acc and 3rd party stuff, and talk them down on their bullshit paperwork fees or whatever they try to squeeze in.

I'll join the bandwagon, dealers are outdated and the vast majority of them are scum.

Yep, you pay freight. On a train. Or a trailer.

That's a tad cheaper than sending cars out per order from a central location.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

VikingSkull posted:

Yep, you pay freight. On a train. Or a trailer.

That's a tad cheaper than sending cars out per order from a central location.

I don't know about you, but where I'm at every new car has a $1500+ freight charge attached to it.

I don't see individual shipping being that much more, and without the middle man taking a cut overall package price would be lower.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bajaha posted:

I don't know about you, but where I'm at every new car has a $1500+ freight charge attached to it.

I don't see individual shipping being that much more, and without the middle man taking a cut overall package price would be lower.

There is a $1,795 destination and delivery charge on the dodge challenger at a dealer 10 minutes from the assembly plant where it's built and $1,145 destination in loving Hawaii.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fuelslt1 posted:

This makes me laugh. I work in internet sales for a Ford dealer and have gone through extensive training on every model. I would probably treat you like a kid too because you came off as an rear end in a top hat at the dealership. "No, you can't drive the Fiesta ST.....because you are being a douche-canoe."

We deal with a revolving door of "informed customers" just like you on a daily basis, it's fun to gouge you out of spite & then inform the finance department to do the same because you sir, were a dick. If you were nice, courteous and acted like a normal human being I would sell the new vehicle to you at or below invoice before rebates, then tell finance to offer you employee pricing on warranties/add-ons.

Edit: I'm not even a Ford enthusiast and still know more than 99% of the population.

Sure is a lot of stereotypes based on nothing in this here post, based on weird biases you have ("informed customer") and your position in the dealership mechanism.

ArthurDent
Sep 21, 2003

Today must be Thursday.

Powershift posted:

There is a $1,795 destination and delivery charge on the dodge challenger at a dealer 10 minutes from the assembly plant where it's built and $1,145 destination in loving Hawaii.

Don't they average this out so that people won't just go to Detroit to buy all their cars?

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fuelslt1 posted:

Here is where you went wrong. You say you wanted them to call/email you an offer because you have full intent to buy at a later time. You also said you had something urgent to do so you couldn't do a deal right then and there. Salesman hear that same thing in various forms time and time again from hundreds of customers, it's known as a way for the customer to get out of the situation.

If you would have sat down for 10 minutes and discussed X-plan pricing, rebates, taxes & terms then you would have had exactly what you were looking for.

I would have still emailed you a spreadsheet of numbers but I would never have expected to hear back from you.

You seem to have a clear misunderstanding of why people dislike dealerships and the structure that they impose on buying a product. Consumers don't give a poo poo about what salespeople hear all the time, they are blue shirts at Best Buy, they are the people at those kiosks in the mall that try to sell you lotion and remote control helicopters. The important bit you say in the "it's known as a way for the customer to get out of the situation" is the clincher, why is there a situation at all that the customer has to 'get out of'? Why in the hell do we have to sit down for 10 minutes and discuss a bunch of poo poo that serves only to benefit the middleman (aka the dealership) when we'd rather just buy a thing for a set price that is standard in any other consumer good and go on our merry way? All of these words you type about how to work the system, how to deal with the people within it and how they feel about us consumers, all of that is exactly why the dealership model is garbage. There is no benefit to consumers and as a consumer I don't give a poo poo what the dealership has to say because they are superfluous, they are an extra bit that isn't needed that is a holdover from a different era that has politicized and litigated its way into its position instead of letting capitalism do what it does best. When someone like Tesla comes by and they have to fight for the right to sell a product because of whack-rear end dealerships stomping their feet you know the situation is hosed up and indefensible.

Fuelslt1 posted:

I'm very far from indoctrinated, I've only worked in a dealership for less than 6 months. I'm only regurgitating what I've seen and learned.

Your posts say otherwise. Consumers are the ones that get to dictate how they give you their money, not the other way around. They can always just go somewhere else.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fuelslt1 posted:

Here is where you went wrong. You say you wanted them to call/email you an offer because you have full intent to buy at a later time. You also said you had something urgent to do so you couldn't do a deal right then and there. Salesman hear that same thing in various forms time and time again from hundreds of customers, it's known as a way for the customer to get out of the situation.

If you would have sat down for 10 minutes and discussed X-plan pricing, rebates, taxes & terms then you would have had exactly what you were looking for.

I would have still emailed you a spreadsheet of numbers but I would never have expected to hear back from you.

I was there for three loving hours and at no point could anyone produce an out the door price on ANYTHING. I don't want to know a goddamn monthly payment I want to know what the loving car costs. If they had produced that in the first 30 minutes they quite possibly would have had a check for 25k right then. Not to mention asking about a CMax and them saying uh I am familiar with them but I have never seen one for sale here. You stupid arrogant gently caress. I didn't need a loving test drive I have been in a dozen fiesta/focus/escapes as rentals OH ALSO MY PARENTS HAVE BOTH PURCHASED A FUSION AND A FLEX HERE BUT NEVER MIND THAT ANd I AM SURE THEY OVERPAID. Seriously this is why everyone wants to punch dealership fucks like you in the face. They made it IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO GIVE THEM TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS FOR THEIR PRODUCT. AND ALSO gently caress YOU.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
To follow up I KNEW THE loving PRODUCT. I knew it better than the salesman (who was nice) and the manager (nice).
I know the trim levels the available incentives the financing offers. And I ask about something trivial it goes back to asking someone in an unseen office 20 minutes while I suck down coffee. They could have offered me anything at a good price that morning and I'd have written a check I was looking for an appliance. I don't need to be asked what payment I can afford you stupid gently caress I want to know what the goddamn car costs. And when no one knows the new Sync is in all 2017s I guess they missed that power point that makes you an expert. Also again gently caress YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

You guys are just furious because you don't know how to do the dealership experience correctly. Instead of looking up cars and being interested in specific models you should go in knowing absolutely nothing about anything including what you want. Once you've made your selection based on the knowledgeable salespersons recommendations you should sit down with someone like Fuelslt1 and pay whatever they say instead of making them do things. It's so easy!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Stealth Like posted:

You guys are just furious because you don't know how to do the dealership experience correctly. Instead of looking up cars and being interested in specific models you should go in knowing absolutely nothing about anything including what you want. Once you've made your selection based on the knowledgeable salespersons recommendations you should sit down with someone like Fuelslt1 and pay whatever they say instead of making them do things. It's so easy!

You are absolutely right. I need my payment to be less than 300 cuz my baby daddy only pays 300 every month can I get a 96 month loan option on this Fiesta? I need the paint protection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You need to put on your best song and dance for the salesperson so they will be nice and cut you a deal. Your interest rate depends on it son.

• Locked thread