Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol imagine if every sale of a product was like that. Oh you're being a smart rear end? No sale price on that big screen for you pal! I don't like that look you gave me, kiss that washer and dryer goodbye jerk.

Seriously, gently caress car salesmen and gently caress dealerships they are all scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

leica posted:

Lol imagine if every sale of a product was like that. Oh you're being a smart rear end? No sale price on that big screen for you pal! I don't like that look you gave me, kiss that washer and dryer goodbye jerk.

Seriously, gently caress car salesmen and gently caress dealerships they are all scum.

I wish we could rate replies like Reddit but then it's Reddit so I'm glad we can't but yes this is it exactly like there is really not a way to go and say I will take this car for this price

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well actually there is, but it requires buying a used car from a private party. (yeah I know it's no consolation for new car buyers)

You know it's bad when you're avoiding potential cars you'd like because they're still a bit too new and only dealers are selling them. I was kinda interested in used Elantra GT's recently but no one around here has any but dealers so gently caress that.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I had a salesperson play the "woah gotta clear this with my manager in the glass cube upstairs" game with me over a 5k used car that had snow in the photos (it was august) when I told them I wanted a working battery and wasn't paying nearly $500 in extra fees.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I applaud Vroom and their business model.

Last time I went to buy a vehicle, I had an insurance check. I cashed the check at the bank and got an envelope with $100 bills in it.

I saw a vehicle on the dealer's website that said "$3000." I took 30 of the $100 bills, and put it in the envelope, and went to the dealership. I said "I saw on your website that you have this vehicle for $3000. Here is an envelope with American Cash Money in it, $3000. Let me know when I can have your vehicle." It took me four hours to get out of that place. They wanted to finance $220 in acessories. No. $140 in accessories. No. "It cost us $400 in freight to get it from <x> to here." Oh, then why didn't you list it for $3400? Can you not sell it for $3000? I don't actually need this vehicle; as you can see, I drove up in a vehicle, and I can drive away in it. I just think $3000 is a fair price, I assume you list what you feel is a fair price on your website, and I brought that fair price here. It's on you to make this deal happen.

FOUR HOURS. Dealerships are full of people who are trying to steal from you.

Note: I walked out of the dealership with keys in hand for $3000.00 after they deducted all their fees and prices and everything from the "sale price" of the vehicle. I think I actually bought the thing for like $1950 after all their stuff was added in to make the price $3000.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Don't buy from dealers that are shady. You are empowering the stupidity. You are free to not make the purchase and go somewhere else. There are plenty of good dealers.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

8ender posted:

I had a salesperson play the "woah gotta clear this with my manager in the glass cube upstairs" game with me over a 5k used car that had snow in the photos (it was august) when I told them I wanted a working battery and wasn't paying nearly $500 in extra fees.

I love that, and when they pull out the sheet of numbers they're "not really supposed to show you" that purportedly has the amount they paid for the vehicles on the lot.

Usually there is another blank sheet involved, to cover all but the line with the car you're interested in. Like, what am I going to do with this information? Come back with a suitcase of money and use this (fake) knowledge to clean them out?

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
Edit

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 15, 2016

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I enjoy negotiating with dealers, it's fun to match their silence when they try to get you to negotiate against yourself.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
Edit

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fuelslt1 posted:

Ok, I don't understand what their problem was. You make it sound like you were dealing with the most inept dealership possible.

Welcome to nearly every loving dealership.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

You're all being trolled.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fuelslt1 posted:

I don't know how much it would be to add a roof rack unless it was an add-on option or part of a package, go ask the parts department...they have the price for the part.

This is yet another small example of why the dealer model sucks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is yet another small example of why the dealer model sucks.

It's almost like the salespeople have no motivation to sell things out of the parts and service departments.

Oh wait, that's right....they don't because they only get commission on car sales, options and finance.

Oh...wait again. Commission sales. Could that be the root of the entire problem?

Nah, this is just crazy talk.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

blugu64 posted:

I enjoy negotiating with dealers, it's fun to match their silence when they try to get you to negotiate against yourself.

I get great personal satisfaction from "Thanks for your time." and walking away as a negotiating tactic.

Mind you, it's not a negotiation tactic, it's the polite version of me saying "gently caress you, I don't want to buy your product." but it inevitably gets a ton of counter-offers of the "But I can lower the price on it!" sort.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fuelslt1 posted:

HAHA deleted...I can't do this anymore to you guys.

good maybe when you quit your job you can do something with any value to society

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fuelslt1 posted:

Like providing customers with awesome deals on their vehicle purchases?

If there wasn't a 3rd party in the middle making things less awesome in an uneven way, every deal would be awesome and even.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fuelslt1 posted:

No, like assembling Big Macs which is an infinitely more respectable career.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fuelslt1 posted:

this has literally never happened at a car dealership

h
t
h

Liquid Communism posted:

I get great personal satisfaction from "Thanks for your time." and walking away as a negotiating tactic.

Mind you, it's not a negotiation tactic, it's the polite version of me saying "gently caress you, I don't want to buy your product." but it inevitably gets a ton of counter-offers of the "But I can lower the price on it!" sort.

This accidentally worked great for me once in China. I wanted a little teapot and the shopkeeper wanted like, I dunno, 300 RMB or something. I looked in my wallet and realized I only had 40 left. I smiled and said "sorry, no" and started to walk away and she grabbed my arm and came back with 250. "Sorry, I just don't have that much with me" and on and on, she kept pulling and dropping the price until it was at like 100 and I just showed her what was in my wallet. She got a really sad expression and nodded, and started to wrap it up. 40RMB. I was baffled that it worked like that but I still have the teapot!

(Joke's on me, though, I'm sure it was still worth 20)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 31, 2016

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
What is the issue that people have with dealerships, seriously? These people are just trying to sell you a car, it's their job. The minute you walk into the showroom acting all smug and superior thinking youre so much more knowledgeable and better than anything about this salesman scum, they'll just switch off and go through the motions cuz its immediately obvious to them you're just a piece of poo poo and not worth their time.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Salesmen live for commissions. The more they rip you off, they more they get paid.

If you can't see the problem for a prospective car buyer with that setup, then I don't know what to tell you, son.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

fridge corn posted:

What is the issue that people have with dealerships, seriously?

It's a trade where the sellers say they are

Fuelslt1 posted:

providing customers with awesome deals on their vehicle purchases

but the buyers say

IOwnCalculus posted:

gently caress dealerships forever

because

Liquid Communism posted:

they exist mostly as a middleman who wants a cut to tell me they can't get the package of options I actually want without tacking on another 10% of cost in fees

Hidden costs, surprises, sweet deals that turn sour when you cross the dotted line. Deception, manipulation, or even suspicion of such when dealing with expensive purchases has been causing bad blood between humans ever since Grok ripped off Kharg on some flint scrapers. If Grok didn't get paleo'd with a giraffe femur, then at least they said

fridge corn posted:

salesman scum

fridge corn posted:

acting all smug and superior

fridge corn posted:

you're just a piece of poo poo

about each other, which fellow humans really shouldn't do.

In conclusion

Ola posted:

Buy a Tesla, problem solved.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Salesmen live for commissions. The more they rip you off, they more they get paid.

If you can't see the problem for a prospective car buyer with that setup, then I don't know what to tell you, son.

You seem bitter. Been ripped off before? Actually commission sales should work in favour of the customer. Surely a smaller sale is better than none and pushing too hard could get a customer to walk. Would you tip a waitress who delivered poor service?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fridge corn posted:

Would you tip a waitress who delivered poor service?

Yes, because people making under minimum wage deserve to eat, too. Don't be an rear end in a top hat to the people serving your food. If dealership salespeople acted more like foodservice waitstaff, we would probably all have a much better opinion of them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

What is the issue that people have with dealerships, seriously? These people are just trying to sell you a car, it's their job. The minute you walk into the showroom acting all smug and superior thinking youre so much more knowledgeable and better than anything about this salesman scum, they'll just switch off and go through the motions cuz its immediately obvious to them you're just a piece of poo poo and not worth their time.

A salesman whose income is based on how much debt he can convince me I have to take on in order to buy a necessary appliance so he can get his cut of it is not one I want to deal with.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

Yes, because people making under minimum wage deserve to eat, too. Don't be an rear end in a top hat to the people serving your food. If dealership salespeople acted more like foodservice waitstaff, we would probably all have a much better opinion of them.

Right, so why hate on and act morally superior towards one group of people whose labour is financially marginalised but put another on a pedestal?? Where is the logic in that?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Right, so why hate on and act morally superior towards one group of people whose labour is financially marginalised but put another on a pedestal?? Where is the logic in that?

Because again, the average commissioned car salesman is getting 20-30% of whatever he can talk me into paying above cost, and most importantly he is providing no service that justifies increasing the cost of what I wish to purchase. The only service a car salesman provides at this point is to attempt to increase my purchase cost in order to pay himself. Cooks, waitstaff, bartenders; all of these people are performing a service that improves my experience of the product that I am purchasing from them, if not creating the product themselves.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Cooks, waitstaff, bartenders; all of these people are performing a service that improves my experience of the product that I am purchasing from them, if not creating the product themselves.

So would you not tip bartenders or waitstaff that did not improve your experiences of the product?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fridge corn posted:

You seem bitter. Been ripped off before? Actually commission sales should work in favour of the customer. Surely a smaller sale is better than none and pushing too hard could get a customer to walk. Would you tip a waitress who delivered poor service?

I've only ever bought one car at a dealership. While I wouldn't say I got outrageously ripped off, I was young and inexperienced and got the whole "I'll throw in the floor mats and paint protection for free" BS routine. The salesman obviously knew less about the car than I did and he was mostly focused on how many optional extras he could get me to spring for, stuff that I obviously didn't need or want, which I politely informed him about every time it came up.

I'm never buying a car at a dealership again, unless it's an absolutely screaming ridiculous deal. So in other words, never again.

When I bought my current car, second-hand private sale, I met the guy, checked out the car and gave it a test drive. Then I came back, chatted a bit back and forth about cars and which car he was getting to replace the old one, I made him an offer, we haggled a bit, agreed on a price, I made the bank transfer right then and there, and I drove off in my new-to-me car.

No bullshit, no pressure, no slick suits, no sales tactics. Just a good honest deal. That's how it should be.

Why are cars so different compared to any other product we buy? Why do we even have dealerships? They literally only serve to keep slippery salesmen employed and to pad the pockets of the owners. Why not just let me buy the car direct from the manufacturer? Or even just through whichever stores want to carry their products? Why do dealerships have exclusive rights to sell cars?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 31, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

So would you not tip bartenders or waitstaff that did not improve your experiences of the product?

Tipchat has nothing to do with commissioned sales, and your attempting to draw an equivalency between the two in order to leverage the inevitable Something Awful Fight Over Tipping is a lovely discussion habit.

Commissioned car salesmen are not, in the modern world where information on vehicle models, options, and packages is available instantly online, providing any service beyond attempting to increase their own wages via increasing the buyer's costs.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 31, 2016

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Tipchat has nothing to do with commissioned sales, and your attempting to draw an equivalency between the two in order to leverage the inevitable Something Awful Fight Over Tipping is a lovely discussion habit.

Commissioned car salesmen are not, in the modern world where information on vehicle models, options, and packages is available instantly online, providing any service beyond attempting to increase their own wages via increasing the buyer's costs.

Im not trying to make this an argument about tipping. I think it's universally agreed among good people that tipping is pretty much mandatory in all but the most extreme cases

What i am trying to highlight however, in these two examples (waitstaff and new car salespeople) is we have groups of people who are both remunerated by archaic performance-based pay scales yet in one group (waitstaff) we sympathise with the worker and vilify the system whereas in the other group (new car salespeople) we vilify the worker...?? Because??? Because you, personally, don't value their labour? An interesting philosophy from someone with the word communism in their username

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Im not trying to make this an argument about tipping. I think it's universally agreed among good people that tipping is pretty much mandatory in all but the most extreme cases

What i am trying to highlight however, in these two examples (waitstaff and new car salespeople) is we have groups of people who are both remunerated by archaic performance-based pay scales yet in one group (waitstaff) we sympathise with the worker and vilify the system whereas in the other group (new car salespeople) we vilify the worker...?? Because??? Because you, personally, don't value their labour? An interesting philosophy from someone with the word communism in their username

If their labor added anything to the transaction for the customer, as opposed to existing purely to maximize the customer's expenditures for the benefit of the salesman's paycheck, then there would be more sympathy. However as it stands there is a necessarily adversarial relationship involved because it is in the interest of the salesman to increase the cost of purchase to the consumer, and as a commissioned salesperson that is the direction from which they will approach every interaction with a customer rather than attempting to sell to the customer's desires because at the end of the day they want to eat.

Given that lobbying has put us in a position where direct automotive sales from the manufacturer to the customer are effectively illegal, dealing with these salespeople is a necessity to purchase any new automobile, and thus any new automobile purchase will have to include an effort on the part of the customer to insure they are being honestly informed of what they are buying and not being cheated, as both are in the rational self interest of the salesman so long as he thinks he won't be called out on it. After all, most commissioned salesfolks won't be at that dealership in 5-7 years when the average customer is ready to look for another new car, so as long as they don't get caught gouging enough to make a bad name for the dealership they are in the clear.

Commissioned sales as an industry is poo poo. Unfortunately cars are the one place it has really held on because no amount of customer irritation has so far managed to get the dealership laws repealed.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Lots of posts defending a dealership that won't even let you see the car in person until you fork over the cash.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Let's come at this from a different direction, corn.

What service do you see a dealership salesman providing that is worth hundreds to thousands (depending on how poorly they negotiate) of the customer's dollars in each transaction?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

If their labor added anything to the transaction for the customer, as opposed to existing purely to maximize the customer's expenditures for the benefit of the salesman's paycheck, then there would be more sympathy. However as it stands there is a necessarily adversarial relationship involved because it is in the interest of the salesman to increase the cost of purchase to the consumer, and as a commissioned salesperson that is the direction from which they will approach every interaction with a customer rather than attempting to sell to the customer's desires because at the end of the day they want to eat.

Given that lobbying has put us in a position where direct automotive sales from the manufacturer to the customer are effectively illegal, dealing with these salespeople is a necessity to purchase any new automobile, and thus any new automobile purchase will have to include an effort on the part of the customer to insure they are being honestly informed of what they are buying and not being cheated, as both are in the rational self interest of the salesman so long as he thinks he won't be called out on it. After all, most commissioned salesfolks won't be at that dealership in 5-7 years when the average customer is ready to look for another new car, so as long as they don't get caught gouging enough to make a bad name for the dealership they are in the clear.

Commissioned sales as an industry is poo poo. Unfortunately cars are the one place it has really held on because no amount of customer irritation has so far managed to get the dealership laws repealed.

Good god you're thick. You think dealers would even hire salespeople if they were unnecessary? Just because youre insanely smart and better than everybody that you don't need a salesperson to help you purchase a car, you don't think that someone else might? You don't think that there are people who buy cars more often than every five years? Or that those customers bring their cars back for service? You seem to lack some imagination.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fridge corn posted:

Good god you're thick. You think dealers would even hire salespeople if they were unnecessary? Just because youre insanely smart and better than everybody that you don't need a salesperson to help you purchase a car, you don't think that someone else might? You don't think that there are people who buy cars more often than every five years? Or that those customers bring their cars back for service? You seem to lack some imagination.

No, you misunderstand.

Dealers in their current form are completely unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

No, you misunderstand.

Dealers in their current form are completely unnecessary.

Why?

I've been looking for a new car for me and the wife. I've narrowed it down between this Honda, ford, or Toyota. Theyre all very similar though slightly differently spec'd. Some options i must have , others I could live without if necessary. Ultimately I'm looking for the best value. Who is going to help me?

• Locked thread