Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Commander Keene posted:

So IIRC Smilodon's damage adjustments adjust damage upwards for both sides, to avoid the damage sponges of higher Skyrim difficulties and make combat fast and lethal.

I'll consider re-enabling it later in the game, but for now, I think I'm good without.

I do like timed blocks, though, so I'll be taking the perk for those. EDIT: Oh no Vokrii doesn't have the timed block perk. :smith: EDIT: Oh right, you can customize Smilodon. Good enough for me.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't think any of the combat overhauls make the combat any good. The combat is barely a step up from Morrowind's, and none of the combat mods really do anything to change that.

You can get target lockon or janky as gently caress dodge rolls, but otherwise you're looking at timed blocks, tedious scaling and stamina fuckery.

1500 hours into the game, most of which is modded, and the vanilla combat is still somehow best.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't think any of the combat overhauls make the combat any good. The combat is barely a step up from Morrowind's, and none of the combat mods really do anything to change that.

You can get target lockon or janky as gently caress dodge rolls, but otherwise you're looking at timed blocks, tedious scaling and stamina fuckery.

1500 hours into the game, most of which is modded, and the vanilla combat is still somehow best.

Which is why the absolute best way to play Skyrim (and other Elder Scrolls games) is as a mage, archer, or rogue. In other words, as play-styles that don't really engage in basic combat, outside of situations where they hosed up and are probably about to be killed. And unlike basic combat, which cannot be really unfucked by modding, mods adding new spells, magic arrows and various ways to better hide or distract enemies do solidly improve those play-styles.

So give up and roll a stealth archer, the Nines will you to do so.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stealth archer is the intended way.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I play plenty of melee builds as well, but they need something to ensure that left clicking a dragur isn't the only thing I'm doing.

Glass cannon melee necromancer with a 2-handed weapon is a goto. A couple power attacks can ruin anything, but you need minions to take the hits for you. I don't use atronarchs, out of preference, but especially with some mods you get cool pocket tanks.

Stealth melee with no archery (except against dragons because gently caress them). Either go with the dagger for the big backstab, or other weapons for better normal combat. Use alchemy for poisons and buffs, or magic like Ghostwalk or other utility things. Otherwise just gotta stay combat capable while dual wielding for when stealth doesn't work in a room.

Heavy armoured defender with shield is something I've been experimenting with. Grab a follower or 2 that are high ranged dps, and just console off their invulnerability (this is probably moddable). Bring some restoration magic for buffs and support, and make sure you're the one taking damage. If you mess up, learn Dead Thrall I guess. Has some issues because followers are jank, and a lot of dungeons don't support crowds well.

I've played with a couple more melee playstyles, but I think these are the three that I can see best used.

Stealth Archery is fun. I have a few survivalist builds that depend on it, but there are melee builds that at least I enjoy enough of.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Good perks go a longer way to making combat interesting than any "combat" mod.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am currently fighting a gigantic boss where its hitbox is located solely and entirely in the empty space between its legs. It took me 15 minutes to figure out what the gently caress was going on and why I wasn't doing any damage. I am now defeating it by shocking it where its balls would be.

I wish I was doing this to the mod author instead.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I am currently fighting a gigantic boss where its hitbox is located solely and entirely in the empty space between its legs. It took me 15 minutes to figure out what the gently caress was going on and why I wasn't doing any damage. I am now defeating it by shocking it where its balls would be.

I wish I was doing this to the mod author instead.

I assume you're still playing Lull? If you want, I can pass your criticism along to the rest of the team, or give you a link to our discord.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I finally got Skyrim Special Edition last month (after owning the regular version forever) and am getting around to playing it. Is the STEP Skyrim SE thing the best overall gameplay experience booster, or should I contemplate the overhaul that Lexy's LOTD is? Or is there a third (fourth, fifth, etc) option?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
STEP is fine, it's just a lot of work. I'd just grab the Enaison mods that look interesting to you and the general fixes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Agents are GO! posted:

I assume you're still playing Lull? If you want, I can pass your criticism along to the rest of the team, or give you a link to our discord.

Naw, this is Relics of Hyrule.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Naw, this is Relics of Hyrule.
spotted your problem lmao

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I want so badly for it to be good and I swear I can salvage it :smith:

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I recently built a new computer and reinstalled windows, before I did that I forgot to make a backup of my Skyrim mods file. I finally got around to reinstalling all of them and tried to play the game to see what happens but I had some texture issues. Are these the result of me messing up my mod installation, me trying to play an old save with "new mods" or both?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
An old save with new mods can gently caress up no shortage of things, but textures are usually in the clear.

I've always ran into LOD issues with Whiterun, even with clean installs/saves/modlists. What it looks like it's doing is loading the long distance, low quality textures when it's supposed to be loading the up close ones.

Usually quicksave / quickload clears it up for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I give up. RoH is just too janky, unpolished, and bloated. It’s the world’s most tedious scavenger hunt for stuff that honestly isn’t interesting or worth the effort to track down. It needs some serious pruning before I can recommend it.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

The Phoenix Flavour guide has a walkthrough to properly setting up Mod Organizer 2 as a part of its staging process even if you don't ultimately go through with its modlist. After years of resisting MO2 thinking it was just too weird and arcane in how it worked, that guide really demystified it for me and I swear by it now.

Don't use Vortex, please. It's more concerned with being adware for the Nexus than it is with being an actual mod manager, or at least it was every time I tried it and then immediately uninstalled it.

I've been following this for a few days now, and it's the most minute step, but I cannot get the AlternateTexturesModelsplosion_-_Fixed listed on https://thephoenixflavour.com/tpf/finalisation/allgud/ to download, will that screw up things noticeably if I go without it, or can I get that file elsewhere?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nucleic Acids posted:

I've been following this for a few days now, and it's the most minute step, but I cannot get the AlternateTexturesModelsplosion_-_Fixed listed on https://thephoenixflavour.com/tpf/finalisation/allgud/ to download, will that screw up things noticeably if I go without it, or can I get that file elsewhere?

As in you can't download it from MediaFire? Or you can't get it to load in xEdit? Do you have an ad blocker that's preventing the link from opening or something?

I'm assuming if you've been following the guide then, yeah you're probably going to need it to get AllGUD working properly or you might have broken textures.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ambaire posted:

I finally got Skyrim Special Edition last month (after owning the regular version forever) and am getting around to playing it. Is the STEP Skyrim SE thing the best overall gameplay experience booster, or should I contemplate the overhaul that Lexy's LOTD is? Or is there a third (fourth, fifth, etc) option?

I prefer the Lexy's LOTD guide over STEP, because along with the obvious LotD stuff (and LotD integration with several other major mods), it's got a bunch of new content mods (Falskaar, high quality companions, etc), while STEP sticks pretty firmly to just overhauling things. If you're going to spend the time going through a multi-part guide to set up everything, you might as well also get some new stuff out of that you haven't played with before.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

As in you can't download it from MediaFire? Or you can't get it to load in xEdit? Do you have an ad blocker that's preventing the link from opening or something?

I'm assuming if you've been following the guide then, yeah you're probably going to need it to get AllGUD working properly or you might have broken textures.

Sorry, I should have said Mediafire isn’t working, I was curious if there’s another way to get the file.

Edit: Like if there were some way I could get it from someone here that would be great, it’s just a bit frustrating to be so close to getting TPF running and hitting a wall.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 13, 2021

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Roadie posted:

I prefer the Lexy's LOTD guide over STEP, because along with the obvious LotD stuff (and LotD integration with several other major mods), it's got a bunch of new content mods (Falskaar, high quality companions, etc), while STEP sticks pretty firmly to just overhauling things. If you're going to spend the time going through a multi-part guide to set up everything, you might as well also get some new stuff out of that you haven't played with before.

That is my one concern with TPF, how to integrate content not already included. I really want to try things like the Vigilants mod, Fellburg, etc.

Would it be worth switching to LOTD? I’m curious as to how much work it would take.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 13, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nucleic Acids posted:

That is my one concern with TPF, how to integrate content not already included. I really want to try things like the Vigilants mod, Fellburg, etc.

Would it be worth switching to LOTD? I’m curious as to how much work it would take.

If you're gonna do something like that you should almost certainly start over from scratch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nucleic Acids posted:

Sorry, I should have said Mediafire isn’t working, I was curious if there’s another way to get the file.

Edit: Like if there were some way I could get it from someone here that would be great, it’s just a bit frustrating to be so close to getting TPF running and hitting a wall.

The file in question is literally just a fancy text document. I'll PM you the inline text and then you should be able to make a version of it yourself and then follow the TPF instructions from there.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

The file in question is literally just a fancy text document. I'll PM you the inline text and then you should be able to make a version of it yourself and then follow the TPF instructions from there.

I think I might end up trying LOTD, but thank you, I appreciate this.

And I appreciate everyone’s patience with me, I know I’m asking modding 101 questions but I’ve never done anything more complex than downloading this with a mod manager and activating them.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 13, 2021

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Are all the mods on the OP compatible with SE?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

E-Tank posted:

Are all the mods on the OP compatible with SE?

Generally speaking, if a mod these days hasn't been ported to SE, it's because the mod author either gave on on modding or is otherwise unable to make an SE version for one reason or another. This comes with the added inertia of the mod(s) in question usually being so old that new and better mods have probably come along since then to replace them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

To clarify, the OP was written pre-SE and I don't think there's been much updating done. But yeah, what nine-gear-crow said, the SE mod universe is very robust at this point.

If there's a specific mod you're looking at, let us know, and we can probably point you in the right direction if there's a port, or if it's something that can easily be ported yourself, as is the case for many LE mods.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Roadie posted:

I like that I didn't know how wabbajack worked until last week when I finally installed oblivion to play it for the first time and did a modlist with that, and now I'm mad that it doesn't work for everything. I can understand why these overhauls wouldn't work on WJ, but I'm still going to be mildly peeved about it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I like that I didn't know how wabbajack worked until last week when I finally installed oblivion to play it for the first time and did a modlist with that, and now I'm mad that it doesn't work for everything. I can understand why these overhauls wouldn't work on WJ, but I'm still going to be mildly peeved about it.

From what I understand there was a Wabbajack list for Lexy's LotD at some point but it got taken down because it couldn't handle all the SSEEdit / zEdit patching steps correctly or something? The Lexy's LotD creator seems to be gradually moving to a more streamlined process using Synthesis (they just eliminated several of the patcher steps using that) so it might be come more automatable at some point, though.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Holy gently caress, how long has Wabbajack been a thing? It's what I've been wanting for years. Took maybe an hour or two of afk to set up that Phoenix Flavor thing.

Roadie posted:

From what I understand there was a Wabbajack list for Lexy's LotD at some point but it got taken down because it couldn't handle all the SSEEdit / zEdit patching steps correctly or something? The Lexy's LotD creator seems to be gradually moving to a more streamlined process using Synthesis (they just eliminated several of the patcher steps using that) so it might be come more automatable at some point, though.

I can't wait, because gently caress doing all that manually.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Just starting loving around with mods recently and I've got a few that are working nicely, in terms of gameplay overhauls there isn't much but I have a lot of Enai mods. Race overhauls, stones, wildcat, ordinator, odin (the recent magic one). Enjoying it so far, more or less.

The one thing I still hate is melee combat, I've yet to find a setup that feels both "close enough to vanilla" that I'm not playing like Sekiro (that sekiro overhaul is dumb as hell) but also far enough away that it feels actually fun. Melee seems like it would be nice but it's so comically overshadowed by magic and archery (not even stealth archer OP bullshit but just in general) that I've yet to find a playstyle that actually works for me.

Any good overhauls or recommended setups for Special Edition that would scratch this itch nicely? I've heard about some like OMEGA and Requiem but those seem to stray pretty far from "vanilla" gameplay.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's no such thing as a good melee overhaul for Skyrim.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There's no such thing as a good melee overhaul for Skyrim.

the best melee overhaul is just removing instant kills from the game and letting the rest ride, and then just never doing melee combat.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
[laughs in bowmage]

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Idk why people even bother sneaking when you can just great-axe people to death at all times. Just a constantly sprinting death machine. Heavy armor covered in blood. No bullshit. No stopping. Knocking down bandits. Exiting conversations early.

A dragonborn who lives a life of purpose.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Rainbow Knight posted:

Exiting conversations early.

this is the funniest poo poo 100% of the time. i did the mage college quest last night where you have to go get the books back and i didnt have the persuasion option to let her keep the mage so i just exited the conversation while she was talking and immediately one shot her from behind and it made me laugh so hard i woke my wife up. i didnt think it would work.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
How's Legacy of the Dragonborn these days? Some kind of completionist collect all the poo poo playthrough feels like a great way to escape from hellworld right now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Arivia posted:

How's Legacy of the Dragonborn these days? Some kind of completionist collect all the poo poo playthrough feels like a great way to escape from hellworld right now.

Shockingly stable on special edition. Theres also an add on for Live Another Life that starts you out as an archeologist for them.

It's too much random collecting for me, but if that's your bag...

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Arivia posted:

The collecting and museum part are great. When I used it, like every time I swung by to drop some stuff off though there'd be a new annoying quest I'd have to do before I could use the museum at all. That annoyed me quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I managed to get allGUD installed, it took way longer than it should have and all for the payoff of having a shield on my back but it was worth it.