Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah I'm running into the completely predictable problem that none of these seem to have everything that I want. I'll just keep trying them out until I find one that grabs me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
One tip that can help with the insane disk usage of multiple wabbajack installs is to move the /downloads/ folder from an existing install to a new one because they tend to share a lot of the same mods, so you don't have to download them twice

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone play with the Skyrim Redone overhaul?

I wanted to try a more fundamental gameplay shake up this time, but the problem with overhauls is that it can take a while to grasp exactly what you signed up for, and other mods can completely disrupt the intended balance.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Anyone play with the Skyrim Redone overhaul?

I wanted to try a more fundamental gameplay shake up this time, but the problem with overhauls is that it can take a while to grasp exactly what you signed up for, and other mods can completely disrupt the intended balance.

It hasn't been updated for 7 years outside of porting. Also at this point I don't think it does anything that isn't done, much better, with other overhauls. If you want a bigger shakeup than EnaiRim or SimonRim, your best bet is probably Requiem. The easiest way to get into Requiem is the Serenity 2 modlist in Wabbajack.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zeron posted:

It hasn't been updated for 7 years outside of porting. Also at this point I don't think it does anything that isn't done, much better, with other overhauls. If you want a bigger shakeup than EnaiRim or SimonRim, your best bet is probably Requiem. The easiest way to get into Requiem is the Serenity 2 modlist in Wabbajack.

Requiem is a step too far, and not in the direction I’m interested in.

Would you recommend any other options?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
As far as big overhaul sets the only other one I can think of is SkyRem which is trying to be an alternative to Enai/Simon It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a completely different experience than usual, your best bet is probably to find a Wabbajack modlist that looks interesting and try it since those will usually include a lot of mods you never would have tried/downloaded yourself.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Jetamo posted:

What's a good combat overhaul mod that doesn't turn things into "this one bandit swung something at you once and you instantly died" or "this mage you didn't spot fired a ice bolt that blew you into next week at 200MPH"? Everytime I've set up a modlist things always degenerate to that point, it feels.

Also... not this thread's purview I suppose, but if I wanted to get installs of both Morrowind and Oblivion up and going, are there any good current mod guides/suggestions for both?

People have recommended this for oblivion:
https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/51105

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rinkles posted:

Requiem is a step too far, and not in the direction I’m interested in.

Would you recommend any other options?

Qwest using the Enairim set up, which is the default.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zeron posted:

As far as big overhaul sets the only other one I can think of is SkyRem which is trying to be an alternative to Enai/Simon It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a completely different experience than usual, your best bet is probably to find a Wabbajack modlist that looks interesting and try it since those will usually include a lot of mods you never would have tried/downloaded yourself.

Every part of SkyRem being a tortured acronym turned into a girl's name is super weird and also makes it hard to remember which mod does what. I'll admit a lot of Enairim mods are hard to keep straight (summermyst is the enchantment overhaul and wintersun is the religion overhaul) but that seems less weird to me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

fuf posted:

One tip that can help with the insane disk usage of multiple wabbajack installs is to move the /downloads/ folder from an existing install to a new one because they tend to share a lot of the same mods, so you don't have to download them twice

I just delete everything from the downloads folder whenever I'm done :shrug:

Yeah, sometimes if you use multiple modlists for the same game they share mods, but otherwise it frees up a lot of space that doesn't need to be used up. There's no real reason to keep the downloads folder full of already-installed mods.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yikes, just stepped in some poo poo saw the drama around enai

:ohno:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
gently caress, what drama, for those of us not plugged into Skyrim mod community? I iked Enai's mods. :unsmigghh:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I see the OP was outdated, should I just skip it?

Haven't modded Skyrim outside of some random stuff back when it was first released. What's good if I just want to find cool poo poo while exploring?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

gently caress, what drama, for those of us not plugged into Skyrim mod community? I iked Enai's mods. :unsmigghh:

I think the Nexus hubbub caused them to, completely of their own volition, show their rear end and out themself as a huge racist or something. I might be wrong on the specifics, but it was definitely one of those "instantly reveal yourself as a bad person" things.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

yikes, just stepped in some poo poo saw the drama around enai

:ohno:

well, go on, don't just give us a taste, track it all in here! Or awesome/awful mods if you don't wanna poop up this thread.

IIRC he did LOSE HIS poo poo when NovaJam did a video on Dwemertech, come to think of it. Like gave him poo poo about it in the patch notes of his mod and wrote an article about it.

Well, I found something from three months ag- OH JESUS

https://teddit.ggc-project.de/r/skyrimmods/comments/nv1hhz/enaisiaon_arguing_for_bombing_immigrant_boats_in

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 6, 2021

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah he went on "break" and then came back and started releasing more mods and just adding this to the FAQ

EnaiSiaion posted:

I heard you were a bad person on Reddit: Reddit, like all social media, takes unhappy good people and turns them into unhappier bad people and sometimes into spree killers. I deleted all my social media accounts and vowed to avoid feeding any media whose earning model depends on boosting engagement metrics by fostering anger and radicalising users. Reality is too complex to be reduced to an outrage spiral. I love you all. <3

So it's okay because it's all Reddit's fault!

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

loving yikes.

Man, I feel like we could fill a thread on its own purely from modder drama. Hell, I could fill one on my own by simply going through this now-locked tantrum thread about the mod deletion changes.

I left the tab open and forgot about it (yes, for two months, shut up), and:

a sane person who appears to have wandered into the thread by mistake posted:

You should probably take a break from the internet if you think "I'm going to break s*** for numerous innocent users on purpose, that'll show them" sounds like a good idea laddie.

an extremely well adjusted internet artist posted:

ARE they "innocent"? I mean, the whole purpose of us NOT being able to delete our mods, is so the USERS won't be inconvenienced. Sure, they don't have any say in the matter either...... but still, it seems they rate higher than authors at this point.

another pillar of the community whose absence would be a great loss posted:

and we also know for a fact "innocent" users will never support authors in this matter. They would be seething at us if they had access to this forum. They don't want what's best for us. They want what's best for them, and only them. Without thinking about consequences. Typical entitlement "how dare you not give me your stuff" we've seen thousands of times. Their innocence ends as soon as they feel slight inconvenience. 1 out of 10 reads the description, other 9 go straight to comment section to complain. The moment you take down the mod - they rush to modpiracy asking if somebody has the copy.

We're not "wow cool guys making cool stuff". We're just faceless drones creating a supply of free content.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

kartikeya posted:

"Sure, they don't have any say in the matter either...... but still, it seems they rate higher than authors at this point"

:siren:

Wow that person finally figured it out. No users = no traffic = no lavish modder after-parties.

If making content for Skyrim is so hard then they could just....not. But they won't because they need the likes, the ratings, the attention. It's why they just sit there and bitch, but don't actually leave.

:allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yay, I was not aware that Enai is a bonafide eurofash. Wonderful. :mad:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well that's...unfortunate.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I really could've stood to have not learned that. :smith:

Edit: I've said it before, but we modders wouldn't spend hundreds of hours making mods if we weren't at least slightly broke-brained, but that's not saying there shouldn't be pushback on it.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 7, 2021

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

King Vidiot posted:

I just delete everything from the downloads folder whenever I'm done :shrug:

Yeah, sometimes if you use multiple modlists for the same game they share mods, but otherwise it frees up a lot of space that doesn't need to be used up. There's no real reason to keep the downloads folder full of already-installed mods.

well you see you have to download every pack to try them all out out and also update them every time there's a minor release and also tweak them and reinstall them when they break :(

and start a new game every time :(

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Wait are we talking about the stuff that came up last year or did something new happen? :psyduck:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What exactly -was- said? give me the juicy details.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

im still gonna play that garbage

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Wait are we talking about the stuff that came up last year or did something new happen? :psyduck:

I don't know, first guy was vagueposting so I went to Google and this is all I found. I either forgot it or missed it when it happened.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I would never give them money or buy a game from them but since the mods are free I don't really care as much. Maybe that's just me though.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Midnight Voyager posted:

ont start assuming they're whateverwell, go on, don't just give us a taste, track it all in here! Or awesome/awful mods if you don't wanna poop up this thread.

IIRC he did LOSE HIS poo poo when NovaJam did a video on Dwemertech, come to think of it. Like gave him poo poo about it in the patch notes of his mod and wrote an article about it.

Well, I found something from three months ag- OH JESUS

https://teddit.ggc-project.de/r/skyrimmods/comments/nv1hhz/enaisiaon_arguing_for_bombing_immigrant_boats_in

he's deleted his posts

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What exactly -was- said? give me the juicy details.

IIRC Enai wanted Europe to start bombing immigrant boats.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

He's a German ultranationalist, with all that entails. Supports AfD, said Europe would be better off if they bombed migrant boats, said George Floyd deserved to die, lots of dogwhistles. All the usual far right nonsense.

Apparently he let it creep in to his posts on the Skyrim mods subreddit and the moderators there would regularly have to remove things. It all blew up when someone made a callout post and he waded in to double down on everything.

You can find his posts if you use revedddit, most of them are archived.

I'm really sad that I used to be a patron of his.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Eh if you feel like you can’t support him or use his mods after this just switch to Simon instead it’s basically the same mods just with a different approach

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

These are the deleted posts that were linked to: 1 2 3

He does seem like a dick. That said, I'm not contributing to his Patreon or anything (if he even has one, idk), and his views aren't being perpetuated through his skyrim combat system overhauls, so I don't really see a problem in continuing to use his mods. I guess people can make up their own minds.

What I read from his 'explanation' was that while he was definitely deflecting blame onto social media platforms, it was also an implicit acceptance that he said things he should not have said.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la-pLl_2qcI

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Eh if you feel like you can’t support him or use his mods after this just switch to Simon instead it’s basically the same mods just with a different approach

I'm still gonna use his mods, but I regret any money sent his way.

I installed Aldrnari the other day, which took a hilarious amount of time even with wabbajack, but I played an hour or so and it was incredibly sombre/grim looking which threw me off. I've set up Elysium to install overnight to see the difference. There are so many huge packs now it's hard to figure out, I remember when it was just STEP or SRLE and you went from there.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Also I HIGHLY suggest https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/44899?tab=description. It’s an absolute banger of a mod and it’s somehow insanely well optimized despite being so high quality. I have a relatively poo poo computer and I had no performance drops at all using it. That + Skyrim Is Windy is a fantastic combination.

Worst part of it is that the tall grass hides saber tigers and I’ve had bad experiences running off the main roads :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

I'm still gonna use his mods, but I regret any money sent his way.

I installed Aldrnari the other day, which took a hilarious amount of time even with wabbajack, but I played an hour or so and it was incredibly sombre/grim looking which threw me off. I've set up Elysium to install overnight to see the difference. There are so many huge packs now it's hard to figure out, I remember when it was just STEP or SRLE and you went from there.

In terms of aesthetics it's almost certainly an ENB doing the heavy lifting. So get the program that makes it easy to swap

I'm so sad Elder Souls died before that new free movement mod dropped.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

In terms of aesthetics it's almost certainly an ENB doing the heavy lifting. So get the program that makes it easy to swap

I'm so sad Elder Souls died before that new free movement mod dropped.

I tried a few different ENBs but they've definitely gone for the dark fantasy vibe with Aldrnari with the textures.

A big table or article contrasting the different wabbajack packs would be so useful.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

New bard just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls3ScRqSbl0

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

That's an awfully hot coffee pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

recent revelations notwithstanding, anyone have thoughts on enai's versus simon's gameplay overhauls?