Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
you used to be able to screen calls in real time decades ago

what happened to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Caller ID happened.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
if online could screen posts

drat poster ID

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

screening my posts from now on better not see any bad posts

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
sorry I'm not home right now i'm walking into spiderwebs so leave a message and I'll call you back

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

it's all your fault i screen my phone calls

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
BELIEVE IT OR NOT HECCCCCCCCCCTOR ISN'T AT HOME. PLEASE LEAVE A MESSSSSSAAAAGE AT THE BEEP. I MUST BE OUT, OUR I'D PICK UP THE PHONE, WHEEEEEEERE COULD I BE? BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I'M NOT HOOOOOOOOME.

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003
Hello? Ha ha, fooled you! This is my answering machine. Im a huge human being

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Wendigee posted:

it's all your fault i screen my phone calls

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I remember a few years ago I would get a call every night at the same time from people trying to sell me something. They didn't listen when I told them to take me off the list or whatever so I started answering and immediately making incredibly loud screeching noises into the phone. Sorry person on the other end just doing your lovely job, but they did stop calling soon after.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Hector Beerlioz posted:

BELIEVE IT OR NOT HECCCCCCCCCCTOR ISN'T AT HOME. PLEASE LEAVE A MESSSSSSAAAAGE AT THE BEEP. I MUST BE OUT, OUR I'D PICK UP THE PHONE, WHEEEEEEERE COULD I BE? BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I'M NOT HOOOOOOOOME.

:shittypop:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

look at this poor who cant afford a phone that does visual voicemail

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Google voice lets you screen calls

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

lol if you set up a voicemail

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZktNItwexo

they had thing one time called answering machine where Gwen Stephani could scween her phone call

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
my phones automatically transfers the call to the lady's phone if i dont pick up. i have no idea how i set it to do this but shes had a new number for 1.5 years now and the chick who inherited her old number keeps texting her/anyone else who tries to call me abd i dont pick up asking to stop tormenting her

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5kIVXNCzDA

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Hector Beerlioz posted:

*beeeeeeep*
gently caress you
*click*

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

OctoberBlues posted:

I remember a few years ago I would get a call every night at the same time from people trying to sell me something. They didn't listen when I told them to take me off the list or whatever so I started answering and immediately making incredibly loud screeching noises into the phone. Sorry person on the other end just doing your lovely job, but they did stop calling soon after.

One time I got a job at a boiler room-style call center because I was so poor the power got shut off. The hustle was that we had lists of senile old people that the computer would call for us, and it was our job to talk these fixed income folks into donating minimally fifteen dollars to whatever charity we were calling on behalf of. That's a very interesting phrase, in the context. We would be terminated on the spot if we said "I'm calling from/representing" whatever charity it was we were collecting donations for. We were calling on behalf of the Paralyzed Veterans of America or whoever because through clever phrasing, that means you can take that fifteen dollars and pay the monsters in charge of this operation and then admin and rent for the space and the only guy in town that knows how to work on computers that old and eventually the minimum wage monsters on the phones, and after all that give a penny on the dollar to the charity in question. The guy that sat next to me had a Richard James pop up on his list, so he was saying I'm Rick James bitch all that day and probably still talks about the time that happened. He'd been doing this for a year and a half. I wanted to kill myself by day two, and walked out on day three once I heard the manager saying she called the outgoing number and found out it goes to the Jenny Craig hotline.

This is a long way to say you should scream at these people as hard as you can. If they're Americans, they've sold their souls for the lowest amount it is legal to pay someone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DICKLORD BONE posted:

Hello? Ha ha, fooled you! This is my answering machine. Im a huge human being

I've got a friend who did this for years until cell phone voice mail changed to have a message in front of it saying they didn't answer, and I felt a strange sense of satisfaction knowing they dicked him over

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Robot Randy posted:

my phones automatically transfers the call to the lady's phone if i dont pick up. i have no idea how i set it to do this but shes had a new number for 1.5 years now and the chick who inherited her old number keeps texting her/anyone else who tries to call me abd i dont pick up asking to stop tormenting her

Lol if you have to change you cell number you have some horrible poo poo in ur life going on

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

her dickhead boyfriend keeps forwarding calls to her phone

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
press your thumb into your butthole, OP

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

OctoberBlues posted:

i did a similar thing but it was where i punched into the phone and my hand came out the other side to hit them

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

just ray posted:

press your thumb into your butthole, OP

done

whoa, I just got my poo poo pushed in!

as a small human I would mimick the tones of the buttons into the receiver. if you got good enough you could call a number you intended without ever having to push a button!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Were you a kid in th 70s

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i don't check my voicemails. if I just missed your call I'll just call you back. if it is important then text me.

every few months I'll go through and delete them all lol.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Hector Beerlioz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4JCehDOy54

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Were you a kid in th 70s

nah, just poor

you could also plug the receiver directly into the wall jack and listen in on random conversations like a pretend federal agent

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
remember when web pages could fit an entire list of dumb poo poo on one page?

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

dookifex_maximus posted:

remember when web pages could fit an entire list of dumb poo poo on one page?

yeah, I've been keeping up with this thread

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
BLUH BLUH BLUHHHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

back then, if a criminal broke into your house and picked up the phone to call his accomplices to give them the all clear, before they had a chance to dial you could shout, "EEH, OOH, OOH" and the police would be called

• Locked thread