Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can neither copyright nor trademark either thing. However, you can copyright distinctive stylistic elements that you invented yourself and which are not derivitave of other, prior art; giant pouldrons for example, have held up in court.

I'm not aware of any stylistic element of tree elfs that are distinctive and an invention of GW. They can trademark "Warhammer Tree Aelfs", though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Avenging Dentist posted:

This was all prompted by the shop my friend works at being royally dicked around by their GW rep. My understanding is that he's been contacting other shops he has contacts with to see if this is happening consistently or if he just has a lovely rep, and so far it sounds like a few folks have chimed in and said they've been having the same issue. It's probably too early to say more with any certainty, but even with the limited evidence now, it's pretty worrying.

Unless by chance all these shops have the same rep, I doubt it's something like a single rogue rep at GW. If I had to guess, it's probably the brainchild of whoever's in charge of the current push to open more GW stores. It's certainly consistent with their model of, "Wait for FLGSes to open up the wargaming market in an area and then set up a GW shop there to reap the rewards."

Take it with a grain of salt for sure, but I wouldn't put it past GW to pull something like this.

Well that depends on who has those accounts, yeah, but I'm not 100% sure if the accounts are separate regionally or not (are the stores in question all in the same area?).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

S.J. posted:

Well that depends on who has those accounts, yeah, but I'm not 100% sure if the accounts are separate regionally or not (are the stores in question all in the same area?).

It sounded like no, but this is all second-hand so I'm not sure.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

It sounded like no, but this is all second-hand so I'm not sure.

Well I'm sure we've all heard similar anecdotes of stuff like that happening in various places, so yeaaaah, GW sucks

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GW has an extremely flat corporate structure. Last year they had every staffer in Europe reporting to a single person, who in turn reported directly to the CEO: this year's report mentions that they decided to backpedal a bit on that, assigning regional managers to different parts of europe.

I would not be surprised if every trade account in the US is managed by a single person. At best, there might be a small handful managing different large regions of the US, but there's no way that several stores in the same state have different trade account managers at GW.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

GW has an extremely flat corporate structure. Last year they had every staffer in Europe reporting to a single person, who in turn reported directly to the CEO: this year's report mentions that they decided to backpedal a bit on that, assigning regional managers to different parts of europe.

I would not be surprised if every trade account in the US is managed by a single person. At best, there might be a small handful managing different large regions of the US, but there's no way that several stores in the same state have different trade account managers at GW.

Actually, I'm not even sure that all the stores in the city I'm in have the same account rep. I'll check back on that and let you know though.

I know for a fact that there are a decent number of reps handling US accounts though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welp. I guess GW annual report preambles blatantly lie about how flat the corporate structure is! :shrug: not surprising at all

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Welp. I guess GW annual report preambles blatantly lie about how flat the corporate structure is! :shrug: not surprising at all

Well like I said, I'll let you know what I find out. I certainly don't know how many reps there are in the US in total.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There is actually only one GW rep, who operates under a series of aliases so that people don't realize this. Thankfully our researchers, though hours of work, have penetrated the GW alias scheme, and you can identify the rep by checking to see if his name involves any variation of 'Blood', 'Storm', or 'Wound'.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Our GW rep doesn't call us anymore because the last time he did my GM supplied him with numbers showing business was up but GW sales were way down and told him we didn't want to up our orders

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

Our GW rep doesn't call us anymore because the last time he did my GM supplied him with numbers showing business was up but GW sales were way down and told him we didn't want to up our orders

Haha you have a lovely rep

e: sorry you have a lovely rep

Ashcans posted:

There is actually only one GW rep, who operates under a series of aliases so that people don't realize this. Thankfully our researchers, though hours of work, have penetrated the GW alias scheme, and you can identify the rep by checking to see if his name involves any variation of 'Blood', 'Storm', or 'Wound'.

You could've just told me you'd met Bloodwound Stormblood already geeze

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

S.J. posted:

Well like I said, I'll let you know what I find out. I certainly don't know how many reps there are in the US in total.

Back when my store used to order GW products I think there were around a dozen reps for the whole US, divided up into regions. So all local stores should have the same guy.

This was 6 or 7 years ago, but I can't imagine that it has changed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

From the latest annual report:

quote:

Trade
-
we sell to third party retailers under closely controlled terms and conditions. They help us sell our products around the world and importantly in areas where we don't have our own stores. Independent retailers are an integral part of our business model; Games Workshop strives to support those outlets which help to build the Hobby community in their local area. The bulk of these sales are made via our telesales teams based in Memphis and Nottingham. We also have small teams in Sydney, Tokyo and Shanghai. In 2015/16 we had 3,800 independent retailers (2015: 3,700) in 55 countries. We have successfully introduced over the last few years a stockist programme which is designed to sell the right amount of stock into every account in line with their store format and performance. This programme is reviewed annually. The intention is that we stock all of our stockist accounts with our best sellers. We strive to deliver excellent service, operating in 18 languages covering all time zones. 38% of our sales came from sales to independent retailers in the year reported.

So, all of the US should be handled from the telesales team in Memphis.

quote:

Structure
We control the business centrally from Nottingham; it is where the people with experience and knowledge of running our niche business work. I have put in place a flat structure: the people with senior responsibility who make all of the big decisions report directly to me. My team is split into three parts: sales, operations and merchandising and marketing. My channel sales structure comprises retail, trade and mail order. This structure is made up of four key territory retail sales managers in the UK, North America, Continental Europe and Australia and New Zealand. We also have a global trade manager and a global mail order manager along with a sales manager for Asia. During the year I appointed a new global merchandising and marketing manager. My operations and support structure includes a finance director for Games Workshop who is responsible for accounts, compliance and legal duties. We have a product and supply manager who is responsible for our factory, logistics and design studios (Citadel and Forge World). He also manages our three main distribution hubs in Nottingham, Memphis and Sydney. A personnel manager and our Academy personal development and skills training ensure we take our people recruitment and development seriously. All of our senior managers attend management skills training, as a team, three times per year.

So, the Memphis telesales team reports to a single global trade manager. Also, Games Workshop now has a "global merchandising and marketing manager."

As an aside, the "Strategic Report" in the annual report is written (or at least signed, but I am convinced it's actually written) by CEO Kevin Rountree, who has an extremely annoying tendency to write sentences containing lists of things where some items are compound items, but he refuses to use the oxford comma which creates ambiguity. This is a pretty minor annoyance thing but to me it's further evidence that neither the Chairman's preamble nor Rountree's Strategic Report are reviewed or edited by a competent copyeditor, such as for example a secretary.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Secretaries are otiose in a niche.

Edit: And really, we all knew that GW wasn't copy-editting anything they published, so this shouldn't be a surprise. Didn't we have some codex releases where the points for items was different in the main text and the item summary?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ashcans posted:

hitler alias theory already gaining evidence

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Secretaries are otiose in a niche.

Edit: And really, we all knew that GW wasn't copy-editting anything they published, so this shouldn't be a surprise. Didn't we have some codex releases where the points for items was different in the main text and the item summary?

This has happened multiple times. We've also recently had ipad/android/paper differences.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
When I was a younger, my friends introduced me to Warhammer Fantasy Battle - there was one guy who played as High Elves, another who played as Orcs and Goblins, and my closest friend played as Undead. Another buddy of mine then joined and played as Wood Elves. So I got suckered in. I decided to play as Chaos for a few reasons: I loved the heavy-plated, axe-wielding Chaos Warriors and the cool-looking greater Daemons, and on a more practical note, Chaos Warriors could be bought in plastic packs of 12 and cost about 32 points on the battlefield each, so I could have a full-fledged army with only a handful of dudes, keeping my costs lower. I ended up with a neat, sizable (approx. 6000 point) army, with Chaos Warriors, Chaos Knights, Beastmen, Flamers, Nurglings and 3 different Greater Daemons to pick from.

One of my fondest memories is when four of us put our armies together for a 2v2, 10,000 point game - chaos and undead versus Orc and Goblins (there were a LOT of Orcs and Goblins on the field) (Undead and Chaos lost that one but it was very fun).

But playing quickly revealed just how terribly unbalanced the rules were and how every fight was really determied by the 600 point Lord that you kitted out and a bunch of lucky dice rolls. We had to make house rules to prevent blatant abuse of the official rules in ways that would almost guarantee a win on your first turn if you were playing undead.

And then the new Chaos books were released. What's this? Chaos Warriors, Beastmen, and Chaos Daemons are now 3 separate armies? Uh, and the Daemons faction is basically unworkable as an actual force? The only way to take the others was as allies?

My 6000 point army immediately crumbled to being about 3000 something points max and the realization that this would require that I buy over half of my army's current number of models all over again to be able to follow the new (still crap) rules made me realize what a total load of asshats GW really were.

So yes, lessons learned. I play Warhmmer/40k computer games, but I'm out of the tabletop war gaming scene now. I think it's for the best.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 22, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Friend! There are better rulesets available!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you still have your models, you can easily field a Kings of War army without buying anything new. Don't let GW destroy your interest in tabletop wargaming.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

S.J. posted:

Haha you have a lovely rep

e: sorry you have a lovely rep

You could've just told me you'd met Bloodwound Stormblood already geeze

He tried to offer up ways we could boost our sales but uh a) lol no GW you are bad at that also B) our overall business is higher and our minis business is higher, it's only GW that's down

So we're scaling back GW

We are the reps worst nightmare because we have fuckin graphs showing this poo poo that our POS generates

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Leperflesh posted:

If you still have your models, you can easily field a Kings of War army without buying anything new. Don't let GW destroy your interest in tabletop wargaming.

i wanna try KoW but the LGS is deeply in the AoS camp to the point that we got a 10 minute spiel from the owner of the store about "haters talking poo poo about it online but never actually playing it" when i started making fun of how stupid the names for everything are now

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Business Gorillas posted:

i wanna try KoW but the LGS is deeply in the AoS camp to the point that we got a 10 minute spiel from the owner of the store about "haters talking poo poo about it online but never actually playing it" when i started making fun of how stupid the names for everything are now

I was speaking to the guy behind the counter at our FLGS and noted the AoS box set was still there and got "Oh, it's a good game! You're so free to do what you want with it and the combat choices add a real tactical element!" and my heart withered.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's that new app mantic has for finding opponents? Maybe give that a shot.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

He tried to offer up ways we could boost our sales but uh a) lol no GW you are bad at that also B) our overall business is higher and our minis business is higher, it's only GW that's down

So we're scaling back GW

We are the reps worst nightmare because we have fuckin graphs showing this poo poo that our POS generates

Yeah we're scaling back too. We really have to considering how much of a footprint they take up.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Who in here would be down for a WFRP game?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

S.J. posted:

Yeah we're scaling back too. We really have to considering how much of a footprint they take up.

When I started here GW was its own aisle. One side fantasy one side 40k.

GW is now one side of an aisle and that side is patchy a lot of the time. It gives us more space to devote to board games

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My LFGS can't get jack poo poo. No Relic Knights, no Guild Ball. Doesn't really matter since the one guy who is there is a total GW fan. He literally bought 2-3 starter sets for AoS. Bought all the board games. Loves it. To bad the GW shelf is still about half as big as it used to be and the space is taken up with Star Wars.

He is also the reason some of friends don't go to the game store anymore. Wear deodorant kids!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Mantic's putting up some clearance deals on their site to 'make room for the Walking Dead' stuff.

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/forge-fathers/product/forge-father-army-set-30-figures-and-2-vehicles.html looks like a good starting point for a 'Counts As' Space Marines army, you have two 10-man tac squads, 2 TFire Cannons, 8 Sternguard and 2 HQ guys. For the same price as a single jewel like object of amazement and wonder from GW.

I'd be tempted if I didn't already have a ton of projects already.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LordAba posted:

My LFGS can't get jack poo poo. No Relic Knights, no Guild Ball. Doesn't really matter since the one guy who is there is a total GW fan. He literally bought 2-3 starter sets for AoS. Bought all the board games. Loves it. To bad the GW shelf is still about half as big as it used to be and the space is taken up with Star Wars.

He is also the reason some of friends don't go to the game store anymore. Wear deodorant kids!

The GM and I are about the only people willing to try nonsense games just to see if they're good, thanks to our discount, but even things we can't really justify stocking we try to spread the word about and help get started. Literally the entire reason we're trying Guildball and why I'm picking up a Malifaux starter.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
For reference this is the same manager who is going to buy and play Campaign for North Africa just to say he did it

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, but GW could never get away with that - can you imagine the fallout if GW went to KS and tried to fund, say, a new Sisters of Battle line? They would (rightfully) be burned at the stake.
No but that could always be fixed by market research on how much the product is likely to sell and then having a cheaper price that will pay off the molds in the first month or so instead of sitting at outlandishly large prices forever. It's not like kickstarter is magic. Mantic pays off those molds by selling to 2000~3000 customers for less than a dollar per plastic dudeman. Any large company with even basic market research should be able estimate this before launching a product. WotC charges 4 dollars per booster pack after any retailer mark up despite the investment cost of the card printing plates.

GW is stupid enough that it is a moral failing.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Also, KS is not a sustainable business model, and Mantic is going to have to start making inroads with retailers if they have any hope of sticking around for the long run.
GamesWorkshopwebstorepush.jpg

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

TTerrible posted:

That has been their expansion strategy for decades. Supply a LGS, build a customer base, open a GW, gently caress with LGS supply.
Ah poo poo they're stealing all of Subway's moves.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I feel bad because AoS somehow enticed the comic shop I play Magic at to try stocking GW products and I think they're taking a bath on it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

I feel bad because AoS somehow enticed the comic shop I play Magic at to try stocking GW products and I think they're taking a bath on it

Sounds like GW

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

There's that new app mantic has for finding opponents? Maybe give that a shot.

This is a thing? If I could easily find people to try playing KoW with I might actually do it. I can use my dinosaurs right?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://manticblog.com/2016/07/07/rumbl-find-players-kings-war-deadzone/

I can't promise it's gotten a lot of traction. Right now it's finding four KoW players within 100 miles of me, and I live in the SF bay area. I don't think Mantic have done enough to promote it. I think it's also in Beta, though?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 23, 2016

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Is there any comparison to be drawn between Playboy and GW?

Both are the big name to arise out of their field.
Coasted on their 'brand' for decades while smaller competitors nipped at their heels by giving consumers more of what they wanted but loyalists stuck with the expensive and inferior product.
The digital age heralds the demise of both. Playboy felt the hit a long time ago, but within a decade 3d Printing will reach a quality where even fewer people will be reaching into their wallets to pay $60 for 3 grunts.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fnordcircle posted:

Is there any comparison to be drawn between Playboy and GW?

Both are the big name to arise out of their field.
Coasted on their 'brand' for decades while smaller competitors nipped at their heels by giving consumers more of what they wanted but loyalists stuck with the expensive and inferior product.
The digital age heralds the demise of both. Playboy felt the hit a long time ago, but within a decade 3d Printing will reach a quality where even fewer people will be reaching into their wallets to pay $60 for 3 grunts.

playboy has shown a willingness to adapt and change for the times so no

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

within a decade 3d Printing will reach a quality where even fewer people will be reaching into their wallets to pay $60 for 3 grunts.

I thought this part was still about Playboy for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Bieeardo posted:

I thought this part was still about Playboy for a minute.

It's going to kill the flesh light industry.

• Locked thread