Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Leperflesh posted:

You're also sidestepping the whole "sculptors gotta get paid" issue.

Linux will never take off because open source software means nobody is getting paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Is 2016 finally the year of Linux on the desktop???

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fnordcircle posted:

Linux will never take off because open source software means nobody is getting paid.

Highly-paid software developers can afford to work on open source projects in their free time, or are often paid to do so by their employers in the case of big projects like Linux.

_____-paid miniature sculptors ___ afford to work on open source projects in their ____ time, or are ____ paid to do so by their employers in the case of ____ projects like _____.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just to flesh that thought out: university students work on open source software as part of their coursework - do university art students work on open source fantasy miniatures as part of their coursework? And if so, what is the ratio of university art students doing miniature sculpture, to university CS students working on software programming degrees?

And, recent grads and prospective software engineers lacking a degree often work on open source projects as part of their portfolio development, in order to better qualify for those highly-paid programming jobs. Do recent art school grads and prospective professional miniature sculptors often work on open source miniatures projects as part of their portfolio development, in order to better qualify for those... uh, let me stop you right there because no miniatures sculptors are "highly paid."

There must be some willing to do this stuff, but I have a strong feeling that the two scenarios aren't especially comparable. I'm sure there are tons of free open source sculpts out, actually, but (exactly like most open source software projects) they're mostly garbage.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Leperflesh posted:

Highly-paid software developers can afford to work on open source projects in their free time, or are often paid to do so by their employers in the case of big projects like Linux.

_____-paid miniature sculptors ___ afford to work on open source projects in their ____ time, or are ____ paid to do so by their employers in the case of ____ projects like _____.

Think of all the modelers out there who spend thousands of hours making models for free mods. The internet is full of so much free modeling poo poo, you honestly think there won't be a huge amount of free models to print off with your 3d printer?

On some level I think we're disagreeing more fundamentally on the concept of decentralization whether we know it or not. Being able to print off an army in your own home for less cost and being able to pick every single model you want to print for inclusion in each unit will give people an unprecedented level of army personalizing that GW will just not be able to compete with. You won't have to look to GW to 'tell' you what you are getting when you buy a unit of dwarves you'll be picking from every wannabee internet sculpting artist's catalog, customizing it if you wish or making your own models.

I really think 3d printing will become ubiquitous to the point of rendering existing manufacturing and supply chains obsolete (and not just for wargaming, obviously). It's really just a question, to me, of when.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Man I'm looking forward to buying an elf chariot regiment. Unless it looks like hot garbage. So 50/50 I'd say.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

fnordcircle posted:

I really think 3d printing will become ubiquitous to the point of rendering existing manufacturing and supply chains obsolete (and not just for wargaming, obviously). It's really just a question, to me, of when.

This will happen approximately the same time everything else in Star Trek will (not exactly "never", but not soon either). The economy of scale is a really big deal and new mass production techniques are being developed at the same time as 3d printing, which is designed to create prototypes. If 3d printing ever got to the point where it was cheaper than current mass production techniques (extremely doubtful), companies would just use that for their production lines instead. Since businesses generally have more resources than some random home user, they'll have access to higher-quality tools as well as being as to use those tools more efficiently; I doubt even the most industrious home user will run their 3d printer for 16+ hours a day.

If anything, Shapeways is closer to how a 3d printing-based future will work. They manage the toolchain and produce your little figurines and then ship them same-day to you via Amazon drones or something. Not only would the economy of scale allow this to be cheaper, it lets you spend less time setting things up, doing quality control, etc. That's time you could spend doing actual fun things.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

fnordcircle posted:

Think of all the modelers out there who spend thousands of hours making models for free mods. The internet is full of so much free modeling poo poo, you honestly think there won't be a huge amount of free models to print off with your 3d printer?

gently caress you, pay artists.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
So today I played a game worse than age of sigmar.

It was called "Stand in front of the inflatable unicorn and I try and knock you over" and it was designed by my little sister (4.75) and cousin (6). In this game, I stand in front of an inflatable unicorn, while my cousin and little sister hit me with it to try and knock me over. I abandoned all principles and did not play to win, tumbling to the ground in exaggerated dismay after a few hits, whereupon I saw the folly of my move when I sprained my wrist almost immediately.

1/10 needs significant improvement before marketing.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

spectralent posted:

So today I played a game worse than age of sigmar.

It was called "Stand in front of the inflatable unicorn and I try and knock you over" and it was designed by my little sister (4.75) and cousin (6). In this game, I stand in front of an inflatable unicorn, while my cousin and little sister hit me with it to try and knock me over. I abandoned all principles and did not play to win, tumbling to the ground in exaggerated dismay after a few hits, whereupon I saw the folly of my move when I sprained my wrist almost immediately.

1/10 needs significant improvement before marketing.
kudos for forging a narrative instead of being a waac loser

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"But GW makes better models than the competition"

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

instead of sperging about wind direction i'm more upset about someone trying to pass off wings made out of palm leaves, which i'm pretty sure i've seen in a looney tunes cartoon, as serious

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
With Warseer dead and gone, which is the best forum for people painting poo poo and bitching about games? Dakka? Please tell me it isn't loving Bell of Lost Souls.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Warseer is gone? Where have all those assholes gone?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It is so obvious on every level that these were two different models stuck together at some point in development

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Rulebook Heavily posted:

It is so obvious on every level that these were two different models stuck together at some point in development

The beetle thing looks like it is braced to fire artillery like the plasma bugs in Starship Troopers.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

TTerrible posted:

The beetle thing looks like it is braced to fire artillery like the plasma bugs in Starship Troopers.

I want that beetle to convert into Anub'arak but I ain't paying for it

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

Naiad Wyrmriders are a large cavalry option in both the Forces of Nature (main rulebook), and Trident Realms of Neritica (Uncharted Empires book) armies. Three to a regiment, six to a horde. The Trident Realms also get a hero unit, the Naiad Wymrider Centurion.

I am so glad I have a lizardman army painted up. Now I can work on Forces of Nature army for cheap! Though I do have to get the Uncharted Empires book at some point.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fnordcircle posted:

Ubiquitous 3d printers in a fantasy utopia versus an eroding middle class being taught to fear and hate the poors and foreigners until the whole thing reaches an inevitable tipping point. Yup.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TTerrible posted:

turn on your monitor

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Moola posted:

turn on your monitor

Shan't

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Moola posted:

turn on your monitor

:sbahj:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

TTerrible posted:

Taken down by hackers and not revived.

Who knows? But they're out there, biding their time, waiting to strike.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm still not sure why anyone would target Warseer, and also why don't Warseer have backups for such a huge forum? It sounds like the people running it were either incompetent or just wanted to quit and this is easier.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

TTerrible posted:

I'm still not sure why anyone would target Warseer, and also why don't Warseer have backups for such a huge forum? It sounds like the people running it were either incompetent or just wanted to quit and this is easier.

It's Warseer, so incompetent.

And lots of sites have hacking attempts.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Thundercloud posted:

It's Warseer, so incompetent.

And lots of sites have hacking attempts.

Yeah but unless you're running Wordpress or Phpbb you should be fine from random middle/Far East vuln scanning crap. It's staggering incompetence.

Warseer was truly awful.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TTerrible posted:

Yeah but unless you're running Wordpress or Phpbb you should be fine from random middle/Far East vuln scanning crap. It's staggering incompetence.

Warseer was truly awful.

My favorite part of running a web server at my house back in the day (other than an excuse to write perl scripts) was seeing all the people still trying buffer overruns.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Rulebook Heavily posted:

"But GW makes better models than the competition"

I'm sure I'm not the only who has noticed that when people say that GW makes better models than everyone else, what they mean is "GW models have more extra crap all over the model than anyone else!"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

At least the beetle looks like it might make a neat conversion for something.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

A Real Horse posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only who has noticed that when people say that GW makes better models than everyone else, what they mean is "GW models have more extra crap all over the model than anyone else!"

"GW models are more expensive than anyone else!"

T.G. Xarbala posted:

At least the beetle looks like it might make a neat conversion for something.

It would look great in a Kings of War army!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It'd look great left on the shelf. Don't reward GW for AOS.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

It looks like a good model... for me to poop on!!!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TTerrible posted:

It'd look great left on the shelf. Don't reward GW for AOS.

Oh I wasn't suggesting someone actually buy it. That might encourage GW to make more garbage like it. However, if one were to come into possession of one, then yes a conversion of the beetle into some kind of mount or monster for Kings of War would look good.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Oh I wasn't suggesting someone actually buy it. That might encourage GW to make more garbage like it. However, if one were to come into possession of one, then yes a conversion of the beetle into some kind of mount or monster for Kings of War would look good.

Thank you for this disclaimer I am now at ease.

God be wye

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

GW might have had a period where they made legitimately good models in certain areas compared to other companies, but even at that time it wasn't an across-the-board thing and whatever place they held has slipped as many other companies have gotten their poo poo together and started producing nice stuff in GW's former niche. So maybe buying something from GW ten or fifteen years ago was a decent call, but not now.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Avenging Dentist posted:

It looks like a good model... for me to poop on!!!

a good model...

for a clown to field!

AT THE CIRCUS

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Maybe it's just me because the models are a mess where nothing draws the eye to one certain spot but the painting on models seems really eh compared to what old promotion images used to be like. Like every thing has edge highlighting no matter the material or sharpness of edge

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
GW models still have nice sharp detail relative to a lot of other stuff in their scale (I'm mostly comparing them to perry plastics and privateer, since that's what I've actually built/painted in 28mm in the past couple years), but Jesus gently caress they're just busy as hell, and not in a particularly coherent way. I just finished up a warshrine I got from an eBay salvage and it was probably my least satisfying paint job ever, just because there was so much pointless detail to pick out. It kind of looks like poo poo at table distance because of all the stuff that's going on.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

While I haven't bought any new GW plastics (the last thing I bought was a box of VC skellies a couple months before AoS hit, but I was planning on using them for D&D anyway, and prior to that I hadn't bought anything in a decade), my experience with them is much worse overall than Malifaux, who have some drat nice plastics that go together very easily despite being extremely delicate. I'm not really in love with Malifaux's style, but they have some standout minis, and I picked up a few boxes just to build and paint.

I know, I know, it's Bandai who's the real innovator in plastic models, but Wyrd easily proves that GW doesn't have a monopoly on good-quality plastic wargaming figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

"GW models are more expensive than anyone else!"

This too.

So a month or two ago in the old GW is Bad thread I posted about some concerns I had about a GW store opening in my area. So far, it looks like my mild worrying was for nothing, as after a busy opening weekend, the GW store isn't really doing that great. They've asked the other hobby stores in the area to run events for them, which I think has been pretty soundly rejected, with one saying "if someone else wants to reserve time here and run an event, they are welcome to it just like anybody else, but I'm not cancelling regular events for you." This has caused two people who think AoS to be super mad about how they won't do anything for GW, and everyone else including all the die hard 40k players to comment that it seems extremely reasonable.

And given how little the GW store seems to be open, I doubt it will last long anyway. I'm glad to see my mild worry was for nothing.

• Locked thread