Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angrboda
May 31, 2005

I'm really glad to see that you've brought this LP back!

Aeterna's showing some of the same powers as Reaper; maybe they're from the same episode of Chrono Rangers village?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

bman in 2288 posted:

Please don't tell me that Reaper crawled out of a landfill as a fetus and went on to be this guy.

Death's Touch is a pretty great Binding of Isaac item, might as well screw with some teenagers once you've got it.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Part XVI: There Was a Hole Here...

New Music: Road to Closure

Well I’ll be a monkey’s uncle! It’s more snow! The paradigm has shifted in this new biome. Let’s get explorin’.

I don’t usually show off the pick-up junk. But “Euphoria Pumpkin” is hilarious to me for some reason. Especially since I started this recording session while cooking for Thanksgiving.

Despite the claims of this region being the “Fridging Mountain Range” there sure is a lot of open snow wasteland. Heck, there’s even a region called the Barren Plains. Let’s see if this one is more eventful than the past throwaway side areas...

Survey says: NOPE! I’m not sure what else we ought to have expected. Though, it’s not entirely without points of interest. A bit to the north we find...

...a small forest, running counter to both the barren and plains part of this area description. And some dude hanging out constructing a massive pyre. So umm... whatcha doing out here, guy?

It carries a faint magical energy... Only those with powerful magical energy can cross the mountain... I wonder what lies across it...
Isn’t it... like the Last Lands?
Sure is.
Mhm.
Well, mystery solved. So umm... what’s all this firewood about...?
Sinners must be cleansed in the purifying flame.
Well, good luck with that, sport. Gotta go.

Yep. That’s all there was to that area. I’m not sure what they were going for with those fields with a single weird NPC hanging out. I think a couple are used in endgame sidequests. But more often than not, they’re for jack poo poo. Anyway, to the north there is that massive purple barrier nobody seems to bother mentioning. Still can't pass it.

So we will continue further to the north still and reach the next sleepy hamlet that will surely not have any localized drama or conflict requiring our party’s intervention to resolve. That would never happen in this game.

New Music: Simple Gratitude

Gatherington, huh? I mean, I guess it’s a step up from “Royburg” but not by much. Let’s see what the townsfolk are up to here.

This suggests there exists high-pitched voiced lumberjacks and that is clearly incorrect.

I knew it’d be colder here, but I didn’t think it was gonna be this bad...
BARF!

Julienne faints.

! Julienne!
Sheesh. Is everyone gonna keel over today? Kir? Setsuna? You all feeling a bit of the vapors next?
...You passed out earlier too.
Yeah, but that was Nidr’s fault. Doesn’t count.

Julienne picks herself back up...

Are you two from this town? We’re on a journey...

We’re headin’ for the Last Lands... How far are they from here?
The Last Lands, eh? They’re on the other side of Fridging Heights. But you’d be best off forgettin’ that idea, if you value yer life... That mountain can no longer be crossed.
What do you mean?
You’ll ‘ave seen ‘em during your journey, no doubt... The distortion in space... We call ‘em “blakkols” ‘round these parts... They’re ‘specially bad in the mountains near ‘ere y’see...
...Any of you pick up half of what this hick mumbled just now?
‘ey! Learn ‘ome manners ‘ounen.
No... hablo... NPC...
He said the mountains are full of distortions in space called “black holes”.
Oh... That’s a little bit more understandable.
Black holes?
I think they mean the giant barrier we keep running into outside of towns.
...That ain’t no black hole. It is neither black nor a hole! Literally no part of that description is apt.
*shrug*

When will the distortions go away?
They grow worse by the year... You’d be wise not to hold yer breath, I’d say!
Ain’t there any other way to cross Fridging Heights, then?
I did once know of a cave that led through the mountain...
It’s gone now, is it?
*ponders* No... I said I once knew of it. For some reason, I can no longer remember it...
So you forgot where it was?
*shakes head* I do not know... I shouldn’t think yer gonna believe this... But a memory that should be there...isn’t.
A memory that should be there isn’t...?
*sigh* So was there some monster in the area or maybe a mysterious traveler who passed through and suddenly everyone forgot?
*nods* A cave that led through the mountain def’nitely did exist... That much is certain.
But how can you know that for certain if you can’t remember?
*nods* Many folks in this town say the ‘xact same thing as me... Folks who’ve lived ‘ere for a very long time... If you think that nothin’ more than a coincidence... well, that’s up to you...
If it’s somewhere near here, why don’t we try looking for it?

You say it definitely existed, so maybe we’ll find it!
You shall do no such thing! There shall be no needless prying!
*jumps* AUGGH! Phew... Don’t scare me like that, old lady!
*shakes head* Some things are best left unchanged... Not that you are capable of changing them, anyway...

Gloomy Old Woman walks off...

So that old lady is behind whatever this is, huh?
Probably.
Mhm.

If no one knows where this path is, our only option is to try and find a way across ourselves. We don’t have time to wait for this blizzard to stop, or for the distortions to disappear. Our journey must go on.
Exactly! Aeterna’s right! Let’s find a way across Fridging Heights by ourselves!
Hey old timer, where does your wife or whoever live?
‘ho?
The old woman. The gloomy one.
Oh. She is ‘ot my ‘ife. But she ‘ives at the top of the hill yonder.
Thanks, pal.

Alright, let’s explore this town and do the usual RPG thing for a spell. The local pub is the first building in town. As usually, Weppy & Tali’s merchant has gotten far too drunk and kicked out of the establishment. We’ll come see him in a minute.

The usually suspects of the Apothecary and Magic Emporium spritnite dealer are camped out here.

It has been two fairly lengthy dungeons since the last time we hit this guy and there’s a good 35,000 G in profit to be made dumping all the materials we’ve gathered off countless dead penguins and snake monsters. And with it, a handful of new Spritnites to equip and seldom use.

Endir has gained a Life spell to resurrect fallen party members. Kir got his poo poo kicked in during the last dungeon when I tried to tag him in for some levels. That is literally the only death I’ve had of a party member in battle. And even then, I just shuffled his corpse to the B-Team roster and went on my way.

Nidr is grabbing another way to slash folks with his massive sword. Unfortunately, Wind is not a real element in this game so it’s just another whatever physical tech.

Kir is continuing his journey to become a reckless pyromancer and now can summon fountains of magma to pour on unsuspecting foes in the alternate dimension where Serge died and I actually ever used Kir.

And finally, Julienne gets a fairly useful Tech where she’ll stab folks every time one of her allies stabs someone. Real good team builder, that one.

Leaving the bar, we’re now flush with smackers, which is good since there’s a whole new set of weapons available. Two new weapons, in Julienne’s case. Well, we don’t want to spoil our newest party member. Plus Endir and Setsuna both picked up new weapons in the previous dungeon. So we’ll refrain from upgrading them for a bit. But the rest...

Aeterna has a new dagger that looks like a prop from a high school drama club production. But it is somehow better in every way from the Chaos Rune Blade, so what are you gonna do?

Nidr has gained a dragon’s tooth with a hilt attached to it. Which would be cool and all, if it wasn’t wrapped up with bandages like that dipshit Cloud Strife cosplaying as Vincent Valentine version of Cloud from Kingdom Hearts.

Kir has upgraded from a magical girl wand to... dude, this is just Sailor Moon’s wand. That doesn’t even make sense for Kir, he’s a pyromancer. See, this is why I never use you in battle, Kir.

Finally, Julienne is casting aside her ancient family heirloom lance for one with a fancy ribbon. Despite the description claiming it ought to buff the heck out of defense, it seems to actually buff the hell out of Julienne’s attack and barely raise defensive stats. I feel like the entirety of the weapon system was both overambitious and completely rushed.

Anyway, that is about all for this town. There’s a bunch of townsfolk milling about in a village that just follows a slope east up a hill (with the cranky woman from earlier’s hut at the top) but none of them have much of interest to say. Beyond the weird cave across the mountain that none of them can seem to remember and nobody has bothered to check out ever.

So I guess it’s up to us to sort out the situation and bravely venture northward to seek out this mysterious cavern...

Music: Road to Closure

Found it! It was literally about a mile outside of town. Straight up the first landmark visible. Good job, everyone. The mystery is solved.

The barrier blackhole we encountered south of town also reaches north past the world’s least mysteriously lost cavern. There’s a trail behind it but heck if we can get there.

Due west of Gatherington is an unnamed Abandoned Village off a desolate peninsula. Surely, there will be something worth pillaging from the ruined town...

...You’d think that. But nope. This is just another one of those weird locations with a single wandering NPC waiting for the elements to take them or whatever their end goal happens to be. Here we find...

Why must the people of the Village of Sacrifice bear such a burden? No matter what might have happened in the past, the past is just that... the past...
Monsters keep spawning and will eventually overwhelm humanity unless we do the sacrifice. It’s *kind* of important.
Why must the people of the Village of Sacrifice bear such a burd—
Yeah, you’re not getting through to this one. Let’s bounce.

Alright, that’s all the exploration for this region. Guess we’re just gonna have to hit the Fridging Caves. Ya know, since it’s been at least three dungeons since we’ve seen the cavern template.

New Music: The Strength of Time

Aww poo poo, son! This ice cavern is glowing purple! This is some next level business going down here. You didn’t think I Am Setsuna was just going to reuse the ice cave layout a third time. Yee of little faith.

Fridging (this word feels like someone forgot to use spellcheck on Frigid) Caves is home to the Uppa. Hey, the tutorial boss finally made the palette swapped transition to common enemy. Good for him. These boys pack a fairly meager 370 HP and just kind of swipe at a single party member at a time. Occasionally, they’ll Howl to raise their attack and lower the party’s defense. But they do have one dire trick up their sleeves...

BEEEEEEEEEES! These bears can pull a REAL dick move and just conjure up a swarm of angry bees to descend upon our party. This hits the entire party for around 50-75 damage and is just plain rude. I mean, it’s impressive a bear has both gained the abilities of The Pain and done so in the fantasy Arctic Circle. But still... real rude attack.

On the plus side of dealing with a swarm of angry bees, these guys are just a piñata of materials if we get creative with our Momentum’d up Techs and debuffs. Particularly, if we use Combo attacks to kill ‘em (pretty much any Momentum buffed physical attack counts as a combo) they drop White Bay Laurel Wreaths. Which are pretty handy as they may lead to the obtaining of a broken rear end Spritnite shortly.

The cave itself is rather uneventful, beyond the bears and bees. But there is a new weapon for... Aeterna... Who we just dropped 5300G to get a new weapon like ten minutes ago... Goddammit.

I cannot even get that mad because... well, look at this thing! It’s amazing. It’s a walrus dagger. It’s adorable, dumbest thing and I absolutely love it. Also, murdering all the Uppa in this cave nets us a good 10,000G so it’s not a big loss. I Am Setsuna is not at all good about rationing new weapons pick-ups. But man. Walrus dagger...

Amazing Walrus Dagger aside, the party eventually reaches a dead end at the back of the cave. Probably best to investigate this, eh?

This is the cave! It is, isn’t it?
Nope. I mean it’s clearly a dead end. You dope.
...What? But...

You think the townspeople would really forget about somewhere so obvious?
*looks at wall* ? ......?
Wait a minute...

Aeterna touches the glowing cavern wall at the dead end of the only path through the cavern and wouldn’t ya know... magic bullshit!

Music: Faith

So what does that mean?
Most likely, it means that a sealing spell has been cast here...
*nods* I can sense it, too...
It just rippled magical energy through the whole cave. I think we all felt it.
Yeah, we're all magic people. I'm a necromancer now. It's weird.

So this is it, after all!?
*puffs up* I said it was, didn’t I!?
No duh, Sherlock.
Hey! But you said it wasn’t before.
I was... are you for real? Sarcasm. That’s like, my entire thing... Get with it.
It’s hard to get a read on you when you’re wearing that mask.
Hey! You were offered the gift of a mask of your own and you cast its splendor down. Now you toil away in the fields of Endir not giving a poo poo about your opinion and reflect upon your mistakes.
Can we focus here?

The people in that town didn’t seem like they were lying, though...
Then the memories of everyone who knew of this cave must have been erased... Except perhaps the one who cast the spell, or anyone who knew it had been cast...
! What!?
It’s that old lady.
Maybe someone here is hiding something...
The gloomy old woman.
Who do you think sealed it off, then!? No one in the town seemed suspicious!
The elderly woman who we met as soon as we entered town.
No, there was one person...
Finally! Someone with a head on their shoulders. Like I said, it was the...
The lumberjack.
...What?! No.
That way he was talkin’ ain’t natural. He was hidin’ something.
No. That was just an idiot accent. The only mystery surrounding that guy was how many generations of rural inbreeding it took for him to end up that way. No. It was...

The wrinkled old woman.

! What!? That old lady!? She wasn’t very friendly, but she didn’t seem like a bad person or anything...
She may well not be “bad”... But there is more to her than meets the eye. I too could sense that.
Uuuuugh...
Looks like we better try talking to her again...
Hey, executive team decision. We’re stopping by the pub again and loading up on some liquor before we go headlong into another tragic backstory.
Do what you want. Let’s just go.
Can... I get in on that?
Mhm. I’d buy you a beer but you went the stupid route with the whole Setsuna daughter thing so...

Hm? Did someone say my name?
NOPE!

Welp! Alright then. Back to the village we go! One of these times we’re just going to encounter a dungeon with a village nearby and simply move on without obstacles. No we won’t.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 27, 2016

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I like when games give you food mechanics. You can do silly things in games like Skyrim or Tales of Destiny if you figure out food. If you were eating as much food as possible this entire time would it significantly broken the power curve?

Also, is booze a legit food option?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I hope we can get past Gatherington and the Fridging Caves, so that we can reach the Evilling Lair that leads to the Finalling Dungeon.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Gatherington sounds like the town of a thousand material gathering side quests.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

No beer for you Nidr, you don't deserve a last drink.

But you deserve a last meal before you get... the chair. A sandwich alright?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I was having kinda a lovely night, and then suddenly

I burst out laughing.

Thank you, walrus dagger.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
'Fridging', huh? Does this mean that the game is about to kill off a sympathetic character in order to inspire our heroes?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Dark Id posted:

Part XVI: There Was a Hole Here...

"It suppresses its user's magical energy, but boasts high magical defense power."

Do... do any of the weapons which claim something like that actually follow through on it? Because it seems to be just raising those a standard weapon upgrade amount.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

MachuPikacchu posted:

I hope we can get past Gatherington and the Fridging Caves, so that we can reach the Evilling Lair that leads to the Finalling Dungeon.

You mean the 'Preparing Lair' that leads to the 'Dinnering Dungeon.'

Cooking Lair would work too but that would be sad instead of silly. Because it would make me hungry.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I got things to say.

-it's true about lumberjacks: they all speak with deep voices. Hell, I was doing some yard work a few months ago, cutting down some irritating branches, and my voice dropped an octave for a while week.
-the buildup to the old lady feels pretty Scooby-Doo-esqe, you know what I mean? You know what I mean.
-walrus dagger
-speaking of purple barriers, I recently started drinking kale smoothies, and there recipe I use to make my smoothies makes them purple. And since purple is a color of power, it makes my smoothies that much better. No word on gravitational distortion, spaghettification, or any of that, though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
With a name like "Magilock Dagger", my first thought was Magebane from Ultima. Ultima's Magebane didn't look like a walrus though so it's a toss up for which one's better.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
OK so if you have this village dedicated to the sole purpose of sacrificing someone every few years to stave off Monster Armageddon, why is it so far away from the place they need to go to? In FFX at least there was the excuse of having to travel to gather Aeons and/or learn about the world and their reasons for sacrifice. Here its just... far away?

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

ManSedan posted:

OK so if you have this village dedicated to the sole purpose of sacrificing someone every few years to stave off Monster Armageddon, why is it so far away from the place they need to go to? In FFX at least there was the excuse of having to travel to gather Aeons and/or learn about the world and their reasons for sacrifice. Here its just... far away?

Maybe if they were closer the antagonist crew wouldn't have to hire assassins with poor work ethic and they could just do it themselves.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
I don't care if it gimps her stats, Aeterna should wield the Walrus Dagger at all times here on out.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Alopex posted:

Maybe if they were closer the antagonist crew wouldn't have to hire assassins with poor work ethic and they could just do it themselves.
Wasn't the antagonist crew Julienne, who only did so because her magical affliction made her do it and now she's fine?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Crystalgate posted:

Wasn't the antagonist crew Julienne, who only did so because her magical affliction made her do it and now she's fine?

Yeah, aside from Reaper teleporting in to get his rear end beat once in a while, do we still have an antagonist? Aside from "the monsters" who might not actually be evil and just rude

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I love that the hilt of the walrus dagger is actually a fish in the walrus's mouth.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

GeneralYeti posted:

I love that the hilt of the walrus dagger is actually a fish in the walrus's mouth.

Walrus dagger is the breakout weapon of 2016. I want walrus dagger modded into all video games.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I like how people do at least feel bad for the village of sacrifices at least. Kinda curious why they've been chosen to be punished for something in the past though.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Before I noticed the walrus tusks, I thought the dagger was doing the Seal pun thing. Still pretty sure that joke has something to do with its look.

Crystalgate posted:

We haven't completely confirmed if Julienne is the same master the guy was talking about. Probably, given how she reacted to learning about who Setsuna was, but no definite answers.

The Dark Id posted:

So isn’t we will continue further to the north

But you’d be best off forgetting’ that idea, if you value yer life...

...That’s ain’t no black hole.

Which would be cool and all, if it wasn’t rapped up with bandages

The only mystery the surrounding that guy was how many generations

I’m we’re stopping by the pub again and loading up on some liquor

2 needs to lose the "g" and not sure how much of 3 might be intentional.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was not aware it was possible to, like, badly place equipment upgrades. I suppose it's not really something you notice when it's done well.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Glazius posted:

I was not aware it was possible to, like, badly place equipment upgrades. I suppose it's not really something you notice when it's done well.

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is.

The town can have a mysteriously-missing weapon upgrade for one of the characters who will get the upgrade in the dungeon instead.

The town can have the same equipment as the dungeon, so if you read a guide, you get to save a few bucks in exchange for a later upgrade. Otherwise, you open a box and get a completely useless item.

The town can have equipment for a character that is quickly obsoleted by the dungeon, which is a straight-up improvement on the previous option. If you bought already, you get an upgrade. If you didn't, you saved money and got a big upgrade. Win-win.

It doesn't look like money's that tight in this game, so no big deal. The weapons are pretty fun, with Pretty Bow Chakram, Walrus Dagger, and Time-Warping Hairband That's Not As Powerful As A Chakram Playing Dressup. Happy to see more of 'em.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i believe there is a completely superfluous weapon enhancement system in this game, so you can choose to upgrade some old piece of poo poo instead of swapping it out when you hit a new town.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Old-school JRPG wisdom in my mind typically means don't bother buying things in the shop. Except in rare occasions treasures or drops will almost always be better. You could probably do that here if it weren't for the weapon stories making for at least mildly interesting reading.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Walrus Dagger: The first unambiguously good thing about this game. And how good it is.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I don't play JRPGs and am here only because of a misclick, but I would like to say that the linked music is very chill and good, so that's something this game has going for it. Well, farewell ~~

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Part XXVII: And They Were Never Heard From Again...

Music: Simple Gratitude

I don’t think I am Setsuna has any sewer dungeons. But really, are cave levels much better in the long run?

Let’s ponder that as we return to Gatherington to shake down an elderly woman for information at the first sign of shortcomings. Just another day in the life of JRPG protagonists.

We didn’t explore much of Gatherington as there isn’t much of interest. If there’s anyone offering new food recipes, I ain’t got the stuff required. The town itself is just the pub, two NPC houses with nameless characters hanging out (I think we looted some Athenian Waters out of one) and finally the old woman’s house is to the northeast.

Approaching her domicile...

Music: Shrouded Fate

BARF!

Julienne collapses into a heap again...

Anyone got the receipt for this one? I think she’s defective.
Endir!
What? Her whole spiel was she was only traveling with us until she reached something or other. Maybe that pile of snow was her destination. I personally feel it would be disrespectful to keep propping her up every few hours.

The gloomy old woman leisurely walks up to the middle of our group...

*looks at Julienne and shakes head* Very well... Come inside.

Granny Mystery walks off towards her house...

Let’s wait and see what happens.
I stopped by the pub and filled up a flask in anticipation of whatever sob story is incoming. But I like to stay professional and wait until sundown before I begin drinking, ya know? Maybe Paladin Naptime will come around in a bit.
We don’t know what’s causing this, so we can’t just leave her...
First of all, let’s take her inside, then we’ll wait and see what happens.
Ah... So we can ditch her in the old lady’s care if she’s not able to go on. Smart thinking, Setsuna! About time you pulled some weight with the good ideas.

Julienne is out of the party. And just when I started using her since her second weapon jumps her attack ability enough to hang with Endir and Nidr.

In any case, let’s get out of the snow and check out what The Gloomy Old Woman and the Case of the Forgotten Tunnel entails.

The carpet there?
No. Don’t be a fool.
That pile of... what do you got there? Cacti? Why do you have cacti out here? Well, your ho—
On the bed!
Ignore him. He’s just like that.

Endir and Nidr flip Julienne’s body on the bed.

?

Setsuna pulls out her head ornament chakram with frilly bow accessory.

*nods and takes the chakram*

Music: Faith

*nods and returns weapons*
*begins to stir*
!

Julienne sits up...

You suddenly collapsed and lost consciousness...
Turns out you’re a narcoleptic knight or something. You probably should have mentioned that before tagging along.
I assure you that is not the case.
Mhm. Just what a narcoleptic knight would claim. No wonder you’ve started hanging in the battle B-Team with the secret cannibal kid.
*cleans throat*

*turns to old woman* This lady healed you.
Is that so... Then I am in you debt, good woman. If I may impose, would you kindly tell me your name?
...I am Sayagi, the healer.
By the way...

You don’t think it could be the path through Fridging Heights, do you?
*shakes head* ! What!? This cannot be! You found the entrance!?
*sweats* Huh? Uh... Yeah, we did... Weren’t we meant to?
It was the first cave just outside of town. At the end of the literal only path through the cave. And it was glowing. And resonated with magic energy when you touched it. You like... literally couldn’t miss it if you tried...
Seriously, there are treasure chests in half-assed tutorial zones more hidden than that was.

So you know something, after all...
Called it!
*rolls eyes* We’re all very proud of you, Endir...

Sayagi... Who on earth are you...?
?

Sayagi doesn’t answer Setsuna’s question. But an oversized hair ornament chakram on the wall decides now is a good time to sparkle and draw attention to itself. We probably ought to continue to intrude on this woman’s belongings and investigate, like good JRPG protagonists.

Please do not touch it...
This is... It’s the same as mine... This is a chakram that may only be carried by those chosen as sacrifices...
Wait, hold up a sec here... Back it up. They *make* you use that ridiculous hair hoop chakram deal for this journey? That’s like part of the deal?
Yes.
Oh dude... I have gained a lot of respect for you. I thought you like actively thought that whole thing was a choice weapon set to go on some perilous journey. I didn’t know you had that dumbass thing forced on you.
*frown* Oh... Yes.
Tch. Hey wait... What about your whole... outfit here. Is that like some traditional sacrifice garb or something? Cuz your aun—errr! I mean... I’ve seen that get-up before.
Yes. It is the sacrifice’s traditional uniform. Is there something wrong with—
Oh boy. Man... You just got a raw deal here, huh? Man. I had the wrong idea about your whole preparatory skills. Didn’t know you were weighed down by dumb traditions. Woof. Sorry...
*looks at outfit and frowns* It... is okay...
Dang. Alright, so old lady...

Were you a sacrifice, too?
I was... but then again I wasn’t.
Aww geez... Here we go...
What does that mean?
No! You DIPSHIT!
What did I do?

Music: Memories

Ugh. There goes the sappy music. Now we’re gonna have to listen to her whole tragic past. I can’t believe you’ve done this Nidr!
Oh... Crud. I’ve made a mistake.

*tips back flask* Your drat right you did. I ain’t sharing this now.
*frown*

Did you reach the Last Lands, Sayagi?
This is not somewhere that the sacrifice was supposed to pass through... We were to travel by various ships, and arrive close to the Last Lands... However, shortly after leaving Nive, our ship met with bad weather, and we became shipwrecked here...
*takes another swig* Oh poor you. Our ship got attacked by a sea monster like twenty minutes out. It’s taken us like two months to get to this point.
A... sea monster...?
Yeah you missed that part, sleeping beauty. And the airship engine that exploded. And the village of the gremlin elves or whatever tail boy is supposed to be. Pfft.
Please let her continue.
*mumbles annoyed*

We intended to reach the Last Lands by crossing the mountain on foot...
So why did you end up staying here?
Where did you mess up?
Endir!
What? It’s a fair question. We all know where this is goin’. She didn’t make it to the end of the journey cuz... well... sacrifice. Still alive. Nope! Fission Mailed. So how’d your party get wiped, lady?

No matter how much I wish to forget, it remains seared into these old eyes of mine. The tragedy in the Fridging Caves... The monster that makes the Fridging Caves its home is of fearsome size and strength... Even my mighty guard did not stand a chance against it... I too received a grave injury, and was on the verge of death.
So if you’re here, does that mean the pilgrimage didn’t succeed?
No, another became sacrifice in my place... My twin sister... My sister, the younger twin, had accompanied me as part of my guard.
Wait... you can just swap out sacrifice candidates like that? Is there like an instruction manual for y’all? I feel like I’m missing a lotta details suddenly...
However... after I was gravely wounded by the monster, she ended up taking my place as sacrifice. And so, in order to lure the monster away from her... I acted as bait, together with the last surviving member of my guard. It worked, and my sister reached the Last Lands. From that year on, the number of monsters declined, showing that she had indeed succeeded...
*turns away* And I was left here, alone.
What about the member of your guard? Aren’t they here in this town, too?
*shakes head* No. He is no longer in this world.
Yeah, RIP... *takes another flask swig*
*punches in the arm*
I respect that wasn’t my drinking arm.

In order to prevent the monster inside the mountain from causing any more harm... He sacrificed his own life in order to seal off the entrance to the cave leading through the mountain. As a result of the spell... The cave was hidden from view, and the townspeople had its location stricken from their memories.
So you threw a blanket over the problem and pretended it didn’t exist.
Essentially, yes.
Fair enough.

So how come we could see it?
Maybe it’s because we possess greater power than the one who cast the spell...
I respect your sacrifice in your short journey... but what were you all? Level 5 by that point?
Yeah, that was just a tragic backstory waiting to happen, huh?

How ironic it is indeed... My twin sister and my companions gave their lives to protect everyone... I, who was originally supposed to give my life as sacrifice, lived on... And here I am now. An old woman, ravaged by time. What an utter waste of a life... Do you not think?
40 long years wasted away...

Why was it a waste? All life has meaning.
Endir’s right. Listen, lady...
Yours is to give us some token so we can move on past this trifling obstacle.
...Endir was right until then.
Pfft. I’m still right.
Listen...

Your sister gave her life to protect this land, and you spent yours protectin’ this town... Don’t you ever say that was a waste, lady. What’d all the people of this town think if they knew?
That they should stay the heck out of the cave nearby with the deadly monster?
*nods* Please, Sayagi... I want you to place your faith in us... Your hope... We carry it with us to the Last Lands.
If I unlock the seal for you, you will have no choice but to defeat the monster that lies within... Do you have the determination and the strength that will require?
*nods*
Then I shall say no more.

That’s just senile old timer talk for a tape recorder, isn’t it?

This shall remove the seal.
As the young folk say these days “duh”.
*nods* Thank you, Sayagi.
After sealing off the cave, just before he breathed his last breath, he... my guard gave me this. As he handed it to me, he turned to me with a gentle smile on his face... Sometimes even to this day, I wonder what that smile was... What it meant...
*hic* He probably wanted to jump your bones.
Geez, Endir. C’mon...
What? Ask Nidr here, he knows all about that kind traveling companion.
*glares* No idea what you’re talkin’ about.

Perhaps people smile when they pass on something that’s very precious to them...
Yes... perhaps...
Yeah, cool story. Let’s go smash this thing into that wall and wax that trash mob so we can move on.

Julienne crawls out of bed...

Welcome back... Do we need to go grab a smelling salts Spritnite for you or do you have your poo poo together?
That will not be necessary. I am healed.
Mhm. Better be.

Alright, Julienne is back in the party after her five minute departure. Nothing to worry about there.

Music: Simple Gratitude

Heading back into town, everyone’s dialogue is now speculating what the party is doing poking around and how it’s strange Sayagi just kind of popped into town one day plus nobody really recalls when that was... Or questions it. Yeah sure, there's area of effect mind fuckery magic present in the world. No big deal! This must be some sort of retirement community since everyone would have to be in at least their 40s to remember whenever that pilgrimage took place.

Before we return to the cavern to face whatever creature wasted Sayagi’s party, let’s stop by the Magic Consortium one more time to offload some materials we gathered from those reskinned bearmen. Remember the White Bay Laurel Wreath I mentioned last update?

I don’t mention much Support Spritnite I obtain and stick on the party, since they’re all just passive buffs like filling the ATB gauge quicker or making certain elements do slightly more damage. The White Bay Laurel Wreath (that’s a mouthful) drops are the final component in obtaining the Gagnrath Support Spritnite. When equipped, this little number will regenerate MP from killing enemies. So if we stick it on Nidr and Endir, they’ll now top off their MP after most battles, becoming an unstoppable wave of high damage techs mowing through dungeons with even greater ease. I’ll take it.

And hell, while we’re in the area we might as well just get the rest of those weapons on offer at Weppy and Talli’s since who knows when we’ll hit the next village. Let’s see what we’ve got...

Pfft. Ancient ore crafted in the deepest of mountains in a frozen furnace able to sunder time itself? It pales in comparison to some good Hanzo Steel.

Setsuna now has a sensor tapped directly into her scalp to detect nearby enemies. It’s probably best Setsuna had the Ribbon Chakram for that previous cutscene and not this or the spiked time crown when handing it over to the frail old woman.

Finally, Julienne now has a water elemental polearm. Which has been a bit of a detriment when using her thus far, since it turns out quite a few creatures in a land covered in ice and snow are rather strong against water/ice magic. Who’d a thunk?

Regardless, resupplied and with the plot token to proceed, we’re now off to try again at the stupid cave to finally make it to the lousy Last Lands. Sure, it’s just smooth sailing from here on out for the gang, right?

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 29, 2016

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

In an unrelated news story, I'm gonna stream some Dark Souls over here at 7:00 PM EST (like in two and a half hours) if that's your kinda thing. Deepest of lore will be found here:

http://www.hitbox.tv/TheDarkId

If you missed it:

Video: Expert Play Dark Souls Stream

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 29, 2016

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

The wording of the last line, followed immediately by a Dark Sould "You Died" image, are incredibly amusing to me.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

The Dark Id posted:

Finally, Julienne now has a water elemental polearm. Which has been a bit of a detriment when using her thus far, since it turns out quite a few creatures in a land covered in ice and snow are rather strong against water/ice magic. Who’d a thunk?

Has the whole ice/snow theme done much good for the game anyway? If anything, any potential good impressions the player may have had early on have probably been offset by the player being sick to loving death of all this snow by now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
actually, why isn't the eternal winter the problem sacrifices solve? the supposed looming monster threat is mostly an afterthought.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
The name "Fridging Mountains" makes me chuckle every time I see it, because it looks like a goofily censored curse word to me. I'm tired of these fridging snakes on this fridging plane!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm just hoping the boss will be a mildly cute creature. :allears:

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I'm hoping the game pulls a Seiken Densetsu 3 and has a superboss that's just an obscenely powerful Pengy.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

HardDiskD posted:

I'm just hoping the boss will be a mildly cute creature. :allears:

Boss should be Walrus dagger. It would be really easy to defeat except everyone always concedes rather than attack it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Leon?!

E:oh man im so glad you actually named him that

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

MachuPikacchu posted:

I'm hoping the game pulls a Seiken Densetsu 3 and has a superboss that's just an obscenely powerful Pengy.

Isn't that what the giant semi cannibal penguin guy from the previous section was? Or are you asking for a regular sized pengy that's just stupidly strong?

The Dark Id posted:

Seriously, there are treasure chests in half-assed tutorial zones less hidden than that was.

Cuz you aun—errr!

You drat right you did.

Even my might guard did not stand a chance against it

Let’s go smash this thing into that wall and beat wax that mid-boss so we can move on.

everyone’s dialogue is now speculating what are party is doing poking around

Think 1 should be "more hidden", since it's talking about how easy the cave path was to find.
2 and 3 seem like they should be "your" and "you're", respectively.
I put 5 in, just in case it wasn't intentional, cause it kinda works with Endir being a little drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

The Dark Id posted:

In an unrelated news story, I'm gonna stream some Dark Souls over here at 7:00 PM EST (like in two and a half hours) if that's your kinda thing. Deepest of lore will be found here:

http://www.hitbox.tv/TheDarkId

If you missed it:

Video: Expert Play Dark Souls Stream

A bit off topic but can't you cut the tail off the Taurus Demon for Phat Lewt?

• Locked thread