Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Danaru posted:

I like how this basically amounts to Nidr getting two character quests, and Setsuna just getting the present from one of them.

better than aeterna's, which basically had nothing to do with any of the party at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Well, that was a thing I suppose....Why would they name this game after her?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Drunk Theory posted:

Because she'd forget her name otherwise.

Setsuna has passed from being naive to the point where I think even the devs had to realize she's a dipshit.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Drunk Theory posted:

At the end of the game, Endir takes off her mask, faces the camera, title drop, fade to black.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

hey girl you up posted:

At the end of the game, Endir takes off her mask, faces the camera, title drop, fade to black.

Endir's mask or do we find out Setsuna's face was a mask all along?

The Dark Id posted:

Yes, daughter... You and I need some words with your... recent... acquaintance...

which were in-tern a common enemy version of an earlier boss.

But Mana had may faults, too.

I'd leave a note by the door and it might as well not existed.

Probably just "I need" for that first one, since he's not taking Setsuna with him to talk with Nidr.
For the last one, "might as well have not" .

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. So spritnite is made of souls, huh? I guess we know what all the human experimentation was for.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Glazius posted:

Huh. So spritnite is made of souls, huh? I guess we know what all the human experimentation was for.

Well it IS just Materia, after all.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Glazius posted:

apparently it's made of stone, a recent revelation to the entire party considering how often they're saying it these days :v:

ZidaneValor
Oct 16, 2016
I'll be honest. I really enjoyed Raishin and Nidr's bickering. Especially with TDI's commentary thrown in.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That was actually pretty neat. With a little fine-tuning (and by that I mean giving Setsuna an IQ higher than that of cheese) that could have actually been a great scene.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

I uploaded the last of the Resident Evil 4 Stream VODs, if that's your kinda thing. There's even a handy playlist for 'em since someone asked.

Part 01 - Chapter 1-1 & 1-2 (Opening to Mendez's House)
Part 02 - Chapter 1-3 (Village Second Visit to Del Lago Fight)
Part 03 - Chapter 2-1 (Nightfall to Meeting Ashley)
Part 04 - Chapter 2-2 (Village Third Visit to Cabin Defense w/Luis)
Part 05 - Chapter 2-3 (Bella Sisters Rumble to Entering the Castle)
Part 06 - Chapter 3-1 (Castle Opening to the Main Hall Gauntlet)
Part 07 - Chapter 3-2 (Castle Sewers to Garden Maze)
Part 08 - Chapter 3-3 (Garrador Cage Match to Luis Death)
Part 09 - Chapter 3-4 (Ashley's Playable Adventure)
Part 10 - Chapter 4-1 (Ridiculous rear end Lava Room to Verdugo Battle)
Part 11 - Chapter 4-2 (Villager Mine Antics to Novistador Caves)
Part 12 - Chapter 4-3 (Villager Underground Antics to Mine Cart Ride)
Part 13 - Chapter 4-4 (50ft Tall Animatronic Salazar Statue to Salazar Boss Battle)
Part 14 - Chapter 5-1 (Island Beginning to Reuniting With Ashley)
Part 15 - Chapter 5-2 (Trash Dump Diving to Killdozer)
Part 16 - Chapter 5-3 (U3 to Krauser Showdown)
Part 17 - Chapter 5-4 (American Hero MIIIIIIIIIIIKE!)
Part 18 - Final Chapter (Saddler Battle and Ending)

Handy Youtube Playlist

Assuming I'm not still in meeting purgatory thanks to President Dipshit's looming rise to power and the encroaching Cold War 2: The Quickening, I ought to have an update featuring the game's (actually kinda easy with some basic prep) Super Bosses tomorrow.

In a related news story, I'm gonna tackle more Kingdom Hearts Cutscenes in lieu of President Dipshit's inauguration. Starting 12:00 PM EST (1/20) a golden stream of darkness featuring Donald will be going down here:
http://www.hitbox.tv/TheDarkId

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 18, 2017

Nimsant
May 7, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

What would you suggest as the game title?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Part LIV: I Can’t Leave Without My Buddy Super Boss

Music: The Winter Breeze

We are done with everyone’s character side quests. But there is still a wee bit of content to squeeze out of I Am Setsuna’s endgame. Today we’ll be covering the game’s super bosses, such as they are... There are technically three super bosses insofar as big baddies with achievements for fighting ‘em. But one of them involves a gimmick with the final boss, so that’s for another day...

The first of the two super bosses requires we return to Serendale where the party first met Nidr. You may notice there’s now a boat docked at the derelict pier of the abandoned town. It was quite abandoned until recently. Let’s go check that out, eh?

Serendale itself has nothing new to it. Just a few unfortunate penguins and exploding seals that have the misfortune of encountering our roaming band of marauders lovable adventurer party. At the end of the dock we find ship access and a soldier hanging out. We can’t board the ship itself thanks to a pesky invisible wall. So let’s see what the soldier has to say...

Your mission is to eliminate the Schwarzstrom that’s been causing havoc near here. Are you ready to go?

Saying “Yes” to the Hasty Soldier will instantly transport the party to the high seas where we face off against the first super boss: a rematch against Schwarzstrom. Remember that sea monster we encountered within thirty seconds of Setsuna beginning her journey? If you’ll remember the end of that fight, Schwarzstrom kind of just no-sold the boss battle, trashed the ferry, and swam off. Time to sort him out properly now.

Music: Relentless Advance

The achievement for this super boss fight just requires the battle to begin, not actually putting the beast down. There might be a reason for that. Schwarzstrom immediately poses the following question to the player: Does your entire party have over say... 550 HP?

No...? gently caress you! Game Over! By the way, the Game Over text has changed from “The Pilgrimage Ends in Failure” to an off-brand “But the future refused to change...” now that pilgrimage has long since completed. So at least we got to see that...

Really, this super boss is just a HP check barrier for entry. One which can be circumvented by having the party munch on a healthy Purikka Cobbler Salad to boost everyone’s HP by 33%. Seriously, for all the food options in this game, Purikka Cobbler Salad and its HP buff is the only useful one 99% of the time. The game clearly knows that too because it’s priced 1000G cheaper than all other meals available at a chef and is the first one listed on the menu.

Alright, let’s try that again with a great deal more HP. Now that the party can survive Schwarzstrom’s Tsunami intact this... isn’t a particularly difficult fight. Setsuna has more than enough time to recover everyone with Cure II and the wave attack is the only full party damage dealer at its disposal. The sea monster itself has gone from a measly 2000ish HP up to a hearty 10958 HP.

As far as its move set gets it is... just the same boss fight as it was early on. It can stun the entire party with Bellow (read: drains ATB and everyone loses a turn.)

It also has a bite and water spit attack that both take out 450-500 HP on a single target. Endir did not appreciate getting both of those back to back. But this flub aside, party members falling is easily avoided by just having Setsuna constantly top off everyone’s health.

The one new ability Schwarzstrom has gained is Dive in which it err... well, it dives underwater. It says it right there. What did you think it did? Sheesh! Dive just gives everyone time to hang out and build Momentum for a couple turns worth of time. But most importantly, we need to absolutely make sure everyone is at full health.

That’s because Schwarzstrom will cancel its dive by activating Tidal Wave, the slightly beefier cousin of Tsunami. And with that we’ve seen everything Schwarzstrom can do in this fight. And you probably won’t be surprised by the method to beat it...

Spoiler: The solution to the equation of I Am Setsuna’s non-gimmick end game bosses is Momentum Battlecry + Momentum Coup de Grace. Repeat until dead. Which in this jerk’s case was five doses, just pausing to heal with Setsuna (whose Momentum boosted Cure II will instantly fill her ATB to get back in line for another round.) I forgot to plant Aeterna with the proper Spritnite set-up here, but both Setsuna and Endir will also completely fill their HP and MP with the Battlecry/Coup de Grace combo thanks to the HP and MP leeching Support Spritnite.

The game is officially completely broken by this point. I’m sure there might be other Triple Techs set-ups available that are even more broken (other than all stats buffing Battlecry. That’s beyond busted on its own.) But uhh... I don’t really have any reason to explore those options since they’d probably require grinding out material drops for some remaining Spritnite and using other party members I like using less.

Music: Astounding Victory

Our reward for properly slaying Schwarzstrom is a respectable amount of EXP and a variety of material drops related to how we went about slaying the beast. These are used in unlocking some high end Support Spritnite, if we wanted to make our party even more broken than they already are right now. It might seem weird that a super boss would follow the same material drop conventions as standard enemies.

That is because the party is unceremoniously dropped back on the dock where the fight trigger began and... we can just refight it if we want. The Hasty Soldier doesn’t even acknowledge our victory. He has the same spiel about taking down Schwarzstrom. So ultimately we accomplished nothing as far as the world is concerned... Well then. That’s one super boss, for lack of a better term, down...

Enough of messing out on the sea. Time to go take on the actual super boss. For this side quest we’ll be heading to Laniff Ruins, just northeast of The Last Lands.

Music: Walking Through the Maze of Time

I briefly touched on this ruins at the beginning of the side quest block and how it was empty. Not the case anymore! Not at all. Indeed, preparation for this side quest involves getting a LOAD of consumables to help us along the way.

Since this is not just a super boss... this is in reality a gauntlet of bosses leading up to the super boss. Since I am Setsuna was clearly lacking in the boss rush department. Laniff Ruins has been populated by ALL the fallen foes we’ve battled in the side quests up to this point. In order to unlock the final challenge of the Laniff Ruins, we’ve gotta beat ‘em all. In one sitting. Without leaving the ruins, since that resets all progress in the dungeon. And also no saving since there are no save points within the area. So set aside a good hour and change before trying this out!

We’ve got to take on...

The Dysphormic Monster... for a third time. They really liked that black dragon design, huh?

Kir’s anime girl harem has also been resurrected... just to immediately be put down again. I’m sure Kir will eventually make it to second base before he keels over in a decade.

Grinche has briefly returned to the material realm after his suicide by JRPG party.

A magical reconstruction of Freyja is now taking on all challengers. This fight proves to be quite a bit more difficult than just cheesing it with Nidr countering forever. Especially since I forgot her Stone status effect attack and had to scramble to de-petrify my party members.

Hapsper is back to rumble and is WAY goddamn easier now that it’s three on one instead of just Endir winging it solo. The power of friendship prevails...

Finally, the Time Judge Eutess is back wondering why the flying gently caress we haven’t taken care of Dark Samsara... Look, it’s a long story involving a lot of stones...

Once all the side quest bosses have been defeated a second (or third) time, a new challenger appears at the top of the ruins. Before we proceed, we’re going to keep on our diet by dining on another HP buffing salad. It’s not nearly as essential as it was with Schwarzstrom. There’s no HP restriction out the door. But it sure doesn’t hurt.

I couldn’t tell you why the rest of the party decided to briefly materialize here. There’s no fancy cutscene reveal of the super boss. They all instantly vanish again as the boss makes its unceremonious appearance...

New Music: Hidden Danger
(Hey, this is the only time this music plays! And it’s actually got some drums in it accompanying the omnipresent piano. Probably because it sounds like the guy on piano is having a seizure.)

Meet I Am Setsuna’s proper super boss: The Ruler of Time. If nothing, this dude looks rad as hell. It’s a shame the game only did... two crazy automaton bosses. They both have a pretty decent mechanical design. But we’ll have plenty of time gawk at this thing. Let’s get down to business.

The Ruler of Time puts its cards on the table immediately with its two best defensive techniques. Space-Time Wall is a barrier that makes physical attacks completely worthless for about two rounds. It’s just not having any sword play or dagger stabs.

Space-Time Mirror does the same exact thing except completely negating magic attacks. The Ruler of Time will always cast these two spells back-to-back. Meaning it’s just going to be invincible for a while. Tough luck! Luckily, this isn’t a tremendously big deal since it is just free time to build up Momentum for the Battlecry + Coup de Grace combo. Especially since Ruler of Time actually has a decent chunk less total HP than the Schwarzstrom rematch, clocking in at 8530 total HP. Which feels off, considering that was just a stat retuned rematch boss fight and this is the real deal secret super boss.

Pinpoint Laser is the Ruler of Time’s primary means of attack. It’s a percentage based damage that will bring the target down to 1% health. Maybe it’s just me, but it seems weird to work on percentages and not just... ya know... 1 HP like most JRPGs with this kind of attack. But, details...

Long-Range Punch is RoT’s second most used attack and it involves sending out a volley of rocket fists to target our party. This one does some serious damage in the 450-500 HP range. It also has a very odd hitbox. It seems to be a single target attack. But every once in a while it’ll also clip another party member for significantly less damage. Though at the same time, the chip damage attack seems to have a very high failure rate. Or it just doesn’t happen at all. Look, have you ever played The Phantom Pain? Rocket punches are hard to control. The controls are inverted. It’s a mess, even if you are a time god.

Scatter Laser is another percentage based attack at the Ruler of Time’s disposal. It just halves everyone’s HP at once. It’s nothing a quick Cure II can’t solve, so it’s not an urgent matter.

Finally, there’s Speed Up Time which... doesn’t actually have a drat thing to do with Time magic. All it does is deal 200+ HP of damage and negate all buffs on a single character. Considering most buffs in this game only last two rounds tops and are usually immediately followed up by popping off an attack using them to the fullest, this doesn’t do a whole lot...

The Ruler of Time does have one final attack in the form of Machine Gun Punch. It only uses this when it’s quite low on health. It involves just going all Fist of the North Star on a single character for 500-600 HP of damage (it likes to critical attack.) I don’t have any footage of this one because I’m not loving about waiting for a super attack to pop off for demonstration purposes at the end of a seven round boss rush. This was already 90 minutes of my life I’m not getting back even before starting work on the LP update! :v:

Anyway, as I’ve already stated, we’ve found the answer to the equation of I Am Setsuna’s boss battles. The Ruler of Time only takes four volleys of the Battlecry/Coup de Grace combo to fall. The trouble is that we’ve got to set up the timing to take into consideration the Space-Time shields making him invincible and hoping RoT doesn’t get cute ideas like negating Battlecry before we can follow up with Coup de Grace.

In all, this is probably one of the easier super bosses I’ve encountered in a JRPG. It’s more of an annoyance than an actual threat. But, I suppose if we factor in the boss rush getting to this point that adds slightly to the overall challenge.

Music: Walking Through the Maze of Time

Like with Schwarzstrom, we get a marginally respectable amount of EXP and item drops based on the methods of slaying the boss (Coup de Grace currently does Momentum/Link/Light/Shadow/Time and we Over Killed it.)

Once again, that’s because the Ruler of Time respawns. As soon as we leave Laniff Ruins, all the bosses will respawn. You’re not required to do the entire boss rush again to reactivate the super boss. But, hell if I’m ever going to fight it again. Let’s bounce!

There is one final stop in our journey of end game content in I Am Setsuna. Remember Morthshaw Woods from the beginning of the side quest block?

There was a mysterious portal here earlier which we opted to skip past for a later date. Well, the time has come to see what’s beyond that gate...

Tune in next time for an area that had more effort put into it than the last half dozen dungeons combined!

Video: Ruler of Time Attack Demo

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 19, 2017

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Huh. It looked like Schwarzstrom was hitting itself with its hit-all attacks. Was I just seeing things?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh hey, I was looking forward to this next bit.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I was wondering what all was left, since it seemed most of the story stuff had been dealt with, if not entirely to satisfaction. I had forgotten entirely about that portal, though.

The Dark Id posted:

This fight proves to be quite a bit more difficulty than just cheesing it with Nidr countering forever

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Maybe they go into the past and save Setsuna's mom.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

[url=https://youtu.be/KjbAS6Iu_Us]

You guys who are always pointing out typos forgot this one....
It has time zones for Hong Kong and..... "Kokyo"? :psyduck:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

For some unknown reason, the Switch version of this game is getting a PVP mode?!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ah yes, meaning everyone who abuses the crap out of the Flux system will be unstoppable compared to everyone who doesn't.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wouldn't want to play a pvp version of any jrpg combat system, even the ones I liked

who is that for I wonder

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Endir is banned from tournament play.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I am eagerly waiting to see how hilariously unbalanced PvP turns out to be

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume PVP is going to be "whoever goes first wins."

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Aren't you able to rename both characters and spritnite? Hope anyone who tries this PVP business doesn't mind watching Dongs attack with his/her all-powerful lolmastrbate technique.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Now I'm curious. What kind of support material explicitly requires multiple crazy superboss kills to make, and how does anybody even know they can make it?

I mean, it kind of make sense in your Atelier game's where your protagonist's entire thing is often understanding the care and feeding of magical items.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012
Does Machine Gun Punch count as a reference to Robo's Uzzi Punch?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Part LV: The Village of Heroes

Here it is! We’re finally at the end of the end game content. I don’t want to leap off the nearest tall building like I did by the end of Final Fantasy X. So at least there’s that. Anyway, let’s move on to the final optional location of the game...

New Music: Dreamer’s Conclave
(There’s no piano in this tack...)

Welcome to the Village of Heroes! It’s a little bit different looking from the rest of the game, huh? This place is special. It’s actually the equivalent of the Developer Ending from Chrono Trigger/Cross. Except it’s just a location you can visit at any time after you get the airship. It might have been the FIRST place I visited my first playthrough since I just started in the northwestern part of the map exploring. Needless to say, I was very frikkin’ confused when I ended up here...

For being a dopey developer filled joke area, this location has a remarkable amount of effort put into it. Aside from the Playstation 1 rear end looking retexture/model of everything in the town, all of the developers are represented by sprite recreations of characters and monsters from the main game. They’re not static either. They all have stationary walk or breathing cycles.

Let's have a little chat with the devs...

And now they’re making me write this text! I don’t have time! They’re watching me as I write this, too... Hey! What the!? What’re you... AUGH! Making this game nearly killed me... I hope you have a lot of fun with it!
Eh, it was alright.

For the record, I have no idea the role of any of these developers, unless they directly state it. Except this one. This is Atsushi Hashimoto, the game’s director. I’m pretty sure this is the first thing he ever worked on. So this message was probably written when he hadn’t slept for at least a week. :v:

Remember this dumb game, for all its flaws, was pretty much Square-Enix taking a bunch of new developers, casting them into the deep end of the pool making an old school style RPG, and throwing in a life preserver purchased from change found in an executive break room's couch.

Sorry... my joke worked better in Japanese... sort of... I came all the way from an island in the south because I wanted to make RPGs! Thank you for playing this far!
Good to hear someone else has made poor employment choices recently...

Ominous.

I’ll not shame your fetish, but I’ll not allow you to indulge in it either.

As long as it’s not another frikkin’ Purikka Cobbler Salad. That’s all these people eat...

The characters in this game sure are cute!
But... there wasn’t a shrimp character... Was there a shrimp and I forgot about it?
No. No shrimp...
A lot of the monsters were cute though!
Yeah, I woulda remembered a shrimp... What is your DEAL?!

Count me out. Getting sand in this mask is the absolute worst...

Thank you very much for playing!
There were a lot of issues mechanically, but ehh... I don’t think there was a single bug the whole time. Other than the Beetle Boy. And he’s GOT to be dead by now...
*frown*

What kinda stat buff does that give? It better not be like Shadow magic resistance or some crap. You can toss those noodles down that well in that case.

I don’t, though. I don’t want to get wet.
Coward!

When I wrote this message, I didn’t have time to think of anything better to say...
You bring shame to yourself and your family you haven’t seen in eight weeks.

That is demonstrably false. Have you seen Nidr...? Are you telling me there is a sheath equipped to handle a tree trunk...? No... No, there is not. Idiot.

A life of luxury in a winter land! Every day is soda, saunas, and developing! Oh, I think I’m crying...
Yeah... I’ve made enough poor life choices with my employment lately. I don’t need to be a game dev...

What’s that? You need more money? All right, I’ll let you in on a little secret...
I’m listening...
In the furthest depths of a certain place, there’s a powerful enemy... If you defeat it, it’ll sometimes drop a very rare item! I heard it might be someone’s wallet...
O-only kidding! Haha! What would a wallet be doing somewhere like that!?
Yeah... money drops in a RPG? That would just be complete crazy talk...
By the way... I’m actually a man! Mwa hah hah! Tricked ya! Anyway, hope you continue to enjoy the game!
I’m leaving now.

Eh... Not a fan of the texture of those. Weird... Also not a big fan of snow after seeing it non-stop for four months straight...

My daughter was born during Setsuna’s development... Both her and Setsuna were difficult births ;)
Aww... that’s sweet. Kiiiiiiinda weird you’d choose to manifest yourself as a sprite of the guy that wanted to commit patricide...

Wait, you mean I could have been hanging out with a rad talking shrimp this whole time? And instead we got stuff like playable Reaper and Kir? Are you kidding me right now? Ugh... I’m so disappointed right now.
Aww. Kir is alright... in small doses.
Yeah, but Dingus? C’mon. That guy sucks.

So what, did they like... die...?
That’s dark, Endir.
Look, I’m just asking the hard questions...

Actually, wait... I’ve grown too big!
I think your parents cast Meteo on me before they died. Real dick move...

I feel like a lemon snow cone! Actually, strawberry flavor’s pretty good, too...
Lemon snow cones can be a dangerous proposition...

Let’s make snowmen, too... And an igloo!
Hey, there wasn’t a SINGLE igloo in this whole arctic region adventure. Way to drop the ball! Oh and the lack of MAP! Which one of you do I complain to about that one...?

That’s just about everyone outside. Let’s head indoors to warm up. There’s four houses in the bottom part of the village and one up top (I’m pretty sure this area is actually a repurposed Tenderville?)

AUUUUGGHH!
...That’s a really confusing suicide note.

Takei, I swear if you were the one that was supposed to assign a map button and you flaked, I’m putting you down right here...

Don’t let it snow, snow, snow... In the real world! I won’t be able to get to work!
I’ve been going to work in the snow for months straight now and I’m not even getting paid for this. I don’t even wanna hear it!

The composer felt so sorrowful, he cried while writing the music...
What, did someone tell him guitars or drums exist? Maybe a violin or a cowbell?

If you feel like you’re missing the snow, come back and play any time!
Well... I mean, yeah... It was some good snow. I just also NEVER want to see a snowy field for the rest of my life...

That’s how I tried to design the last boss!
Hey! Spoilers! We haven’t seen Dark Samanosuke or whatever yet! Also WOW a bear with a beehive sticking out of its gut is WAY more disturbing in pixel form...

Thank you!
Nah... *walks away*

Minus 20 kg... I know I can do it!
That’ll be a real hoot!
?
You know... cuz he’s an... aww... forget it...

Same.

We have altered the game, Abe. Pray I don’t alter it any further...

N
K
S
F
O
R
P
L
A
Y
I
N
G
!
That is really, REALLY
A
N
N
O
Y
I
N
G
!
Good work being the bigger man, Endir.
F
U
!

The more you try to make something perfect, the less perfect it becomes...
No... Nope, I’m reading here that this game has committed every RPG sin imaginable by doing the exact same things as old RPGs but not actually being some bad RPG they are nostalgic for when they were an idiot child. Everyone is saying it! It must be true.

But enough about Kir...

There’s one more house to the north of town. This one actually has something special in it!

What? No! That dungeon sucked. I can’t believe you made us go all the way up and down that mountain... Dick move!

What are you like 35? RIP.

Man it’d be weird if we ran into this place as soon as we got the Trebuchet... You think they’re mad we renamed the airship?
I can’t even remember what the original name was...

When is this game going on sale? $40? C’mon, son.

So the last Silver Chest left in the game is located here and wouldn’t you know it... it contains Endir’s ultimate weapon (at default level at least) Momentum. Again, it’s really weird you can access this area immediately after getting the airship. You’d end up getting 3-4 much shittier swords for Endir afterwards.

Before we depart from the Village of Heroes, there is one last NPC to speak with near the entrance to town. This mushroom ape has a unique function. Let’s take a look...

Once you get that strong, I’ll bet it makes getting Exact Kills pretty hard, right? How about I temporarily increase the strength of all monsters to match your strength?
Yes, please!
I decided I wanted to hate life just THAT much more by grinding...
All right... If I just do this with the monster data... and then this...
*WHITE FLASH*
All done! Now the monsters are stronger! If you want to return them to their original strength, come and see me again!

What this does is raise the stat table of all monsters in the game to the level of the party’s strongest character (so Level 50 in our case.) This makes it so they aren’t slain by a menacing snowflake. This is in order to make it possible to perform an Exact Kill on early game enemies we’d otherwise immediately obliterate for the unique drops those garner. Ya know... if filling out ALL the Spritnite collection is your kinda thing. It is most definitely not mine!

I guess this explains all the weird total HP numbers all the enemies possess. All their stats have been fed into some global calculator instead of manually been programmed. Apparently it’s possible to activate this functionality by fiddling with the game’s files, if you want to emulate the feeling of vanilla Elder Scrolls: Oblivion where everything is constantly at your level and you are never particularly powerful without breaking the game. I worry for your mental health in that instance...

In any case, that concludes the last of Setsuna’s end game content. We’ve seen it all. At least everything worth seeing! All that is left to do is to finally return to The Last Lands and go see about dealing with the tremendously patient Dark Samsara. Tune in next time for the beginning of the end of I am Setsuna...

I Am Setsuna Official Sprite Work

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 21, 2017

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Thats cuter than this game deserves I think
but I cant stay mad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"I Am Setsuna: Tropical Edition" actually came out in 2001.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Well that's kind of nice. A little harder to be mad about this game's mediocrity, if it's the director's first project, anyhow.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Okay, I was joking about the jungle idea version! This game read my mind and made sure it got put into this dimension!
:stonk:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why am I thinking that Momentum looks awfully...

No, that sword had the extra swords actually up on the blade where they were even more impractical. Never mind.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Glazius posted:

No, that sword had the extra swords actually up on the blade where they were even more impractical. Never mind.

"Holy Win" sounds like some kind of dumb internet slang, it just needs "Epic" in there

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I wanna know who was originally a shrimp.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

As far as I'm concerned it was Kir.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Interesting how there's sprites of the playable characters on that sprite sheet. You think Endir and co. were at some point were going to be sprite-based like everyone else in this village whenever they came here? Kinda like how Mario can transform into his old NES sprite in certain Mario RPGs. That would've been pretty cool, I adore the crap out of sprite-based art and poo poo.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Alright, developers of I Am Setsuna, you convinced me not to hold anything against your game.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

ManSedan posted:

I wanna know who was originally a shrimp.

As much as I want it to be Dingus, cause I like the idea of a giant talking shrimp with a scythe being a repeating miniboss, I wonder if it might have been a Frog replacement sort of deal. That's assuming the shrimp thing wasn't just a joke.

The Dark Id posted:

this location has a remarkably lot of effort put into it.

This is in order to make it possibly to perform an Exact Kill

on earlier game we'd otherwise immediately obliterate for the unique drops those garner.

We've seen it all worth seeing.

First and last ones are a bit awkwardly phrased. "remarkable amount of effort" and "seen everything worth seeing" might be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Glazius posted:

Holy crap, that's a dumb design.

• Locked thread