Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Kurieg posted:

Well seeing as how we barely traveled back in time at all, shadow kid is going to turn out to be Endir somehow. That's why he's new to this time cycle.

God this plot is dumb.

Endir probably doesn't predate the fall of civilization, and he's never demonstrated magical cutscene superpowers, so that's doubtful. The more probable explanation (given what little we know) is that the kid was somehow instrumental to the creation of magic (maybe the first rare blood?), but ended up getting twisted into a giant monster as a result of humans seeking a way to obtain greater magic power.

As for Endir, the Masked Tribe might actually be rarebloods who are smart enough to hide their features and not gather in one place; the reason Endir is new is simply because the dark samsara finally got powerful and lucky enough to find someone able and willing to kill the sacrifice. It's rather empty, but that's what happens when so much of the story was so obviously cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Part LIX: I Am Setsuna

Music: Ocean Ambience

So is it dead or...?
No...

Finish him off!

The Youth sits up.

Mercy kill it if you wanna participate. Otherwise, get out of the way.

Wait, don’t TOUCH that thing. You don’t know where it’s been! The heck is wrong with yo—

Video: I am Setsuna Ending
(It’s the ending. You should probably watch it.)

Aww geez. That can’t be good... What did you do?! Did you seriously just let yourself get possessed by that thing?! Come ON!

Music: Winter Journey’s Tale

Are you really you? What? Are you gonna turn into some crazy angelic beast now...?
No. I am Setsuna.

Were you planning this all along?
*nods* Yes... I’m sorry for not saying anything...
So what...? We can’t kill Dark Samsara without it having a real body...? Is that it...?
No...

I want to be close to him... I want to make up for all the time he’s lost... He must have been so lonely, all alone like that...
...So you let him possess you? I... That... Holy hell, man... I think I am getting a migraine...

*steps forward* Endir...

Setsuna kneels in front of the Falling Snow Monument.

Please destroy my body...
Wait, WHAT?!
I shall fulfill my final duty as sacrifice...
Wait wait wait... So you took that thing into your body so it wouldn’t feel lonely... for a whole minute before you have me kill you...? THAT is your plan? THAT is what you’re going with...? I... Why couldn’t you have just given that shadow boy a thumbs up or something before I took its head off...? You REALLY have to go through with the whole martyr thing?!
That was your job, wasn’t it? You should be happy.
Yeah a job I’d already wrote off! It’s not like it’s the first time I’ve gotten screwed out of pay... Ugh. This sucks... This sucks! This is a dick move, Setsuna!
You always liked that you were honest.

Endir... I’m glad I met you.
*readies sword* ...Goddammit.

There is one final choice in the game. As per tradition, the selection absolutely doesn’t matter...

*sigh* RIP.
...Wait.
Wait...
How the hell do I get back to the future...?!

What’s wrong, Cap’?
I’ll bet most people haven’t noticed a thing...
Noticed what?
*outstretches arms* Nidr and the others... they did it.
Oh... What did they do, again?
Put us out of work...
Oh... So...
Training time is over boys. Let’s hit the pub. Drinks are on me...

Huh...

*smiles* They actually did it...
They did? How can you tell?
! Well the world not being over would be a good start, old man! Geez!

*laughs*

But real talk now, I'm the Time Judge's clone. I know these kinda things...
Then what has become of Endir and Setsuna?
Should they not be back by now?
Yeah... about that...
*rubs neck* What’s the nicest way to put this...
Setsuna fulfilled her duties admirably as the final sacrifice...
Which means...
She's gone...
A great loss...
Aww no. *sniff*
*frown*
*frown* I am... sorry for your loss...
Oh... thanks... Huh? Wait... you knew about me and her...?
I’ve been on this journey a hundred times. Yeah... I figured that out by like the 4th do-over...
...You and her? You mean... EWWWW!
What? No! No... I was her... father...
...WHA?!
*sigh* Long story...

Well what of Endir?
Oh, Endir made it. He's fine.
So... where is he?
No clue.
But... shouldn’t he be back here?
Like I said... if he stopped Dark Samsara, I have no doubt that he’d be able to return to this time period.
...In ten years.
Huh...?
They traveled back to the beginning of the time loop. Ten years ago. There, they saved the world. So there’s absolutely no reason he can’t survive another ten years to make it to our present. I didn’t lie to him. I just didn’t clarify the details.
Uhh...
He... is gonna be PISSED!

Not my problem! My duty is finally fulfilled after all this time... I’m out!
Wait you’re leaving too?!
Maybe we’d have more time together if we didn’t waste an entire month gathering spritnite stones we NEVER EVEN USED!
It’s been an honor journeying with you all. Enjoy your new future.

You have gathered all the records from the ancient kingdom’s archives? All the heinous experimentation, sacrificial rites, and enslavement documents are accounted for, yes?
Yes, ma’am.
And they have all been cast into the infinite void of the ruins here, yes?
As ordered, my liege.
We’ve also scrubbed all text pertaining to that “Golteria” name, yes? We are not restarting the kingdom’s banner with a title that sounds akin to a goiter...
It has been stricken from the records.
Excellent. Today marks a new beginning... The Kingdom of Trebuchet!

*sigh* Are you still such an uncouth layabout that the notion of knocking on the door is lost to you?!
I didn’t come here to fight...

Look... if you need...
I need not to be civil any longer, so I’ll be direct...
*glares* Get the gently caress out of my town and never come back!
*frown* ...That’s fair.

Hey, umm... I’m back! We did it! We saved the world!

So... where is everyone? I thought there would be more of a like... crowd...
Given the example you set for your youngers, the rest regained their magical energy and set off on their own journey.
What? Aww no... Aww geez...
I take it your journey didn’t successfully locate a way to extend your lifespan once regaining your magical energy?

Yeah... I kinda... forgot... about doing that...
Hmph. Indeed...
Come out, children.

Yay!
Yada!

And Kir here, a hero though he may be, is why you should NEVER touch the Spritnite Pillar.
Err... yeah? Thanks...?

Tut-tut tut-tut! The snow... The snow has washed away the fluids... Betrayal... I’m doomed!

Did I hear talk of Doom?

No, not you! Not now! Tut-tut. I’m in a fix!

T-thank you.
You’re not... gonna kill me?
No.

Tut-tut. I need to get out of the open. They’ve worn off... I need to gather more...
Gather?
Fluids. From the monsters. If you rub them all over yourself, they can’t see you!
Fluids... from the monsters...
*shakes head rapid* Mhm-mhm! Tut-tut! Very useful. Few know about it.
Tell me more...
Wha...? You’re not going to say I’m a disgusting madman?
No.
*smiles* Follow me. I know a good spot where the monsters do their business. Tut-tut.
Lead the way.

New Music: Staff Roll

Any second now, Endir... Any second a portal is gonna open up RIGHT in front of you and you'll be whisked back to the present... Any second now...
Any second...

New Music: Winter Dreams

”Sure weird butler in the woods. I’ll go to the Land of Snow for an assassination. Never been there before! I could use a change of scenery,” said Endir the idiot. “Sounds like an easy job for that kinda pay!” the moron told himself. “What’s the worst that could happen? Get trapped back a decade in the past. Haha! Crazy talk?” thought the dumbass masked mercenary...
*groans* Stupid... stupid... stupid!

*grumble* You know what I’m gonna do? I’m gonna go find my younger self and tell me not to take that job! I don’t even care if it destroys the universe! Screw it! That’s what I’m gonna do...

Where the hell even was I when I was 18...? Was I still slumming in El Nido? God I drank too much back then to even recall... Ugh... I hope young me didn’t have that pube hair mustache still... That’s going to be embarrassing to see for both of us.

No... No! You know what I’m gonna do first? I’m gonna find that butler and I’m gonna kick him SQUARE in the dick... Yeah! YEAH! That’s what you’re gonna do, Endir. Full force, running start kick in dick... Yeah... Yeah! What was that guy’s name again...? Corneria? Cornwallis? Dammit...
*sigh* Where’s a pub when you need one...?

And that is the end of I am Setsuna. That was a largely inoffensive game that I still liked in the end, huge blistering warts and all. If nothing, it was interesting to see if a JRPG LP unattached from a previous franchise would gain a less hostile crowd than say Final Fantasy shitshow or the like. The answer is gently caress NO! JRPG fans are the worst! :v:

In any case, that’s probably the last LP I’m going to do anytime remotely soon. I wouldn't be surprised if this were likely last one, if we’re being real here. I just don’t have time for this kinda thing anymore. Especially with the way the world has been going of late. I guess ten years was a good run! I’ll still informally stream junk everyone once in a while. You can follow me on Twitter for that kinda dopey thing:
https://twitter.com/TheDarkId

Anyway, hope you enjoyed snarking over this dumb rear end game. See you next time...

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 26, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the sacrifice would be infinitely less dumb if it had any reason beyond Setsuna having a hard-on for wanting to sacrifice herself.

But nope, just gonna hug the sad angst monster, stab me in the face Endir.

Thanks for all the LPs.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol Endir got loving owned

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Congrats on finishing the LP and all...but good lord, that ending was bland to the point of being confusing. Also, Setsuna has a shadow, so...what the gently caress? The other ghost didn't have a shadow (and was also blue) so what the hell kind of abomination is she now?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so they never explain why the butler put out a hit on setsuna? huh. well, alright then

they should've had the tutorial masked mercenary guy be older endir rather than that nonsensical monster man business

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

It's weird how the ending doesn't show anyone speaking, and yet everyone's footsteps ring out whenever they move.

Thanks for the LPs, Id.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thanks for all the LPs, man. Even if this is the last one, it was a good one.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So I guess The Silver Case isn't getting picked back up? There was kind of a sense of finality with the way you kept referencing previous games with Endir. Well, it was a good run.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Well, poo poo. I guess I'll go actually buy The Silver Case now if this is the end.

Thanks for all the good times, Id! You're my favorite of all the LP types I read!

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
At the end I suppose all I can say is thank you. Thank you for exposing me to new games that I never would have heard of otherwise. Thank you for making me smile and laugh during times when I really needed to. Thank you for the entertainment you've provided me, and all of us, over the years.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Seriously though thank you especially for Drakengard, I love that crazy poo poo but there is no way in hell I'd ever play it myself.

Still need to actually play NiER some day.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Glad to see an LP of this game that I honestly probably would not have gotten around to playing, JRPGs are really not for me. I'm really glad there was no stupid epilogue implying that older masked mercenary was Endir all along or something stupid like that, or maybe I just typed that since there is a reason I think that. Either way this game looks good, LP was great, and I'll probably watch a few of the dumb streams in the future.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Thanks for all the LPs ID. You were endlessly entertaining, and I hope all goes well with you and your family.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wonder what stings Endir more, not getting paid because he ultimately can't do his job or ultimately doing his job and not getting paid because he's 10 years in the past.

Thanks for the LP. Hope you enjoy LP retirement if that is what ultimately happens, and I hope to enjoy the NieR Automata LP if when Yoko Taro somehow blackmails you into doing it.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
This ending is bland as bread, and I didn't expect anything different. I guess I hoped for something for Endir's resolution beyond 'walking through snow', but then again it's an accurate representation of the game.

Thanks for all the LPs, Id, I loved every single one of them. Enjoy your LP retirement if you choose that path.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That was a slow wet fart of an ending
I feel fuckin cheated tokyo rpg factory
And you endeared endir to me so much im compelled to write this:
*Endir uses his knowledge of the past to grow richer beyond anyones wildest dreams and quickly forgot about whatshername*

*here lies kir, he never scored*

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Wow, all that game for.....that.

Thanks for all the LPs, Id.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Thanks, TDI. That was a fun 10 years and 3 presidents. May you never be sent back in time to do a job that you already realized you weren't gonna get paid for.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Dark Id posted:

You always liked that you were honest.
And hey, thanks for all the LPs.

Also:
Took me a while to catch up.

The Dark Id posted:

I’m just f’n with this guy. See? Different between “just joking” and f’n with...

One of the totally complacent in Avalo’s heel turn soldiers grabs Kir by the arm...

The Dark Id posted:

you really have to fart around not to immediate slay a Hoppy in battle.

The Dark Id posted:

Not to self:

I’ve accept that you’re not a gremlin.

The Dark Id posted:

he stopped using the barely circumventing copyright infringing Sailor Moon staff.

We’ve got a whole mess of Spritnite this chapter things to it lasting two and a half dungeons.

In any case, that’s a rap for Chapter 9.

The Dark Id posted:

Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize “help me think of a name” actually meant “Endir think of a name

The Dark Id posted:

Howabout you

Yet it hurts his confused dumbass

The Dark Id posted:

Hell, even Chrono Trigger is guilty of this. Ayla becomes and Frog both become mostly non-entities beyond generic lines after the Middle Ages and Prehistoric wraps up until end game sidequests.

The Dark Id posted:

*stamps foot* “Such a solution exists?” I felt like shouting out Oh, what baffling creatures humans truly are!

Me and the crew of misfits I’ve teamed up with, despite their looks, are PRETTY strong... mostly....... But, it’s strong, alright?

No, this didn’t kill me once and yell an obscenity at a video game.

The Dark Id posted:

Everyone standing here has been through those caves and picked it clean

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
So, purely for the record, when I posted this before the update

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I'm hoping there's something really dumb coming up. My money is on either Obvious Hamfisted Sequel Hook, or Needless Last Minute Sacrifice.

I swear to poo poo I didn't know anything about the ending. I just took the first two dumb things that came to mind.

Anyhow, thanks for playing games so I don't have to. Ordinarily I'd claim you'll be back within the week, but I can't say I blame you for prioritizing things that aren't playing games for the internet these days.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well that sure was an ending. :geno:

We're gonna miss you, Id. Hopefully you'll be back soon, even if it is just to pop into the inevitable Nier: Automata thread or something.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I wasn't bothered so much by the stick-legs in the screenshots, but in motion they do look kinda off.

Thanks for the LPs, TDI.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
So long, and, uh, thanks for all the LPs. :cheers:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It was your Resident Evil LP's that eventually got me to follow this site.

Thank you for 10 years of great entertainment!

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
No way, that's the saddest of endings.. no more TDI LPs?

Oh and Setsuna died I guess

Thanks for the LPs Id, you've been my favourite

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Honestly, the most obvious thing that Tokyo RPG Factory (what an unfortunate name) can do in the future is not invite comparisons to other games, because that will never work out well for them even if their writing ability improves drastically between projects.

The LP was pretty sweet, and I understand if you have to make this your last one for a long time. Good luck with your life.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Game sucked.

The LP was great and I'm glad you did it.

Thanks dude

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Thanks for your time and effort. I really appreciate most of your works. I haven't read this LP in particular, but maybe someday. Have a nice time Id.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
You know that Metal Gear Solid 3 parody comic, "Let's Destroy the Shagohod!" and how at the very end, it spends the entirety of the Boss's death scene pointing out that it's a sad scene and that you should feel sad as a joke? This game felt like it was trying to do that throughout the whole story, but played straight instead of for comedy. :geno:

Still, overall it was a good LP and I enjoyed Id ripping on it throughout. Thanks for the 10 years of LPs, Id, and I hope things work out well for you in whatever future endeavors you participate in.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the LP TDI, it was greatly appreciated.

Setsuna was true to her character to the end. A complete moron with a martyr complex. Thanks for writing Edir like you did, it was a appreciated contrast.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Well, that's one way to make I Am Setsuna have a sad ending. Thanks for all the LPs, TDI.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Thanks for the years of hidden gems like Nier and a fair shake on love/hate titles like Chrono Cross and Xenogears.

Looking forward to reading your writing again in the localized Nier 2! :v:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BlackPersona posted:

Well, that's one way to make I Am Setsuna have a sad ending. Thanks for all the LPs, TDI.

Really.

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

While I have my issues with the game's plot, this LP was enjoyable. And even though I found your LPs later on, it has been fun reading them. If it weren't for you, I never would have known Nier was a continuation of sorts for Drakengard. So thanks Id, it's been a blast.

Angrboda
May 31, 2005

Thank you for all of the LPs, Dark Id.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Good job on the LP!

See ya, LP Cowboy...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for this and all your other work. Hope you reconsider someday, best of luck for you and your family.

Now who else will love this poo poo?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetruegentleman posted:

Congrats on finishing the LP and all...but good lord, that ending was bland to the point of being confusing. Also, Setsuna has a shadow, so...what the gently caress? The other ghost didn't have a shadow (and was also blue) so what the hell kind of abomination is she now?

Obviously, by making peace with her shadow, the true self, Setsuna earned a persona.

Or possibly a stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thank you for everything, TDI. You're always entertaining as hell, and we love you. Don't disappear on us, okay? Even if you don't do LPs anymore.

• Locked thread