Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Well that happened. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
That sure was an ending.

Thanks for doing this LP! Don't think I'm interested in getting this game, but it was nice to check it out.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Thanks for all the LPs! They've always been entertaining, even when (especially when?) the games themselves had issues.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's kind of a shame you went out on this game since it's neither particularly good, bad, nor crazy. Luckily you can make anything entertaining. :sun:

See you, LP cowboy...

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Mm.

Dark ID made this game reasonably interesting by his added dialogue.

Not just because it was amusing, but because it actually gave the characters personalities and poo poo.

If someone edited IAS to include it, it would be a less bland game.

Anyhow, thanks for all the work. Archive binging and paywall dodging your stuff was why I joined this site.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

You know that Metal Gear Solid 3 parody comic, "Let's Destroy the Shagohod!" and how at the very end, it spends the entirety of the Boss's death scene pointing out that it's a sad scene and that you should feel sad as a joke? This game felt like it was trying to do that throughout the whole story, but played straight instead of for comedy. :geno:

Still, overall it was a good LP and I enjoyed Id ripping on it throughout. Thanks for the 10 years of LPs, Id, and I hope things work out well for you in whatever future endeavors you participate in.

From what I recall hearing, this was basically half of their design document; the other half being shoehorned references, of course.

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
You know, I have to hand it to I Am Setsuna. Putting aside the issue of the game's quality completely, when you see a JRPG with a theme like sacrifice you just sort of assume the power of friendship is going to make things work out in the end. I appreciate that it didn't back down and actually let characters die and have things not be a super happy finale. It doesn't seem perfect by a long shot, but I don't think you can accuse the people behind it of not caring. They clearly had some passion, even if it did have some bone-headed moves here and there.

Thanks for a great LP, Id! Weather or not you do anything in the future, it's be real fun. Chrono Cross and FF10 are some of my favorite threads I've seen in the subforum.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

You know, I have to hand it to I Am Setsuna. Putting aside the issue of the game's quality completely, when you see a JRPG with a theme like sacrifice you just sort of assume the power of friendship is going to make things work out in the end.

To be honest this might have been true 20 years ago but these days it's anything but. As pointed out this game cribs a lot from FFX and the ending is part of it. That's part of why it's hard to give them credit. It's not really daring when the game you're homaging the hell out of does the same thing.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Thanks for all the LPs, TDI.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the years of fun, TDI.

I do hope you reconsider in the future, but for now it's best to concentrate on what's important of course.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think what bugs me the most about that ending is if the game even tried to show things like character development for the main characters then that ending would have actually been pretty good.

Anyway thank you so much for the LP as you managed to make something that was just various shades of bland into something really enjoyable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was vaguely tragic in that setsuna was so fixated on dying dramatically that she made it happen even after it stopped being necessary

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Thanks for all the LPs, man. Hopefully once everything smooths over you might consider doing another. Or at least contribute to the inevitable Nier 2 LP thread. :v:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

chiasaur11 posted:

Obviously, by making peace with her shadow, the true self, Setsuna earned a persona.

Or possibly a stand.

Dark Samsara actually does kinda sound like a Persona...probably one of the gimmicky as all hell ones, with a fair number of instant death spells (Mudu, Expel, Death Road, etc). Maybe the ending was so dumb because Endir reversed all his social links by refusing to suck up to all of Land Of Snow's worthless residents? Especially Kir.

..who, come to think of it, Endir could probably save by heading to his village and helping his brother, as Endir must have a better chance of finding some way to prolong the lives of Kir's people than Kir himself. Too bad Kir decided to be so aggressively useless instead of endearing and fun.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks for another LP, Dark Id. Whatever happens, I wish you the best.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Thanks for all the LPs, Id. You've put a lot of smiles on this man's face over the years.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Enjoy your life, TDI! As the world permits, anyhow.

I don't think this game would get quite so much rancor if it felt less... well, "derivative" is kind of an odd label to throw at a genre that's been going for decades now, but it doesn't really do to try and remind us so strongly of specific other classic games when we can actually play them.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Man, that game sucked.

Thanks for letting me save my money on this "tribute" to Chrono Trigger, The Dark ID, good luck on the rest of your life. You let me finally see the end of Chrono Cross as well so I have to give you that.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Overall I think a game called "I am Setsuna" has to make us really invested in Setsuna and what makes her tick, and it didn't deliver.

Good work putting up with us, Id. Also the LPs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't mind all the pointless reminders of better games. but the story, characters and mechanics were all completely empty. why bother eating plain oatmeal if you have other options?

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Well, that was...something. But thanks for making this game interesting with your additions, TDI, and thanks a ton for all the years of fantastic LPs!

ZidaneValor
Oct 16, 2016
Thank you very much, Dark Id. Your 20+ Let's Plays gave me some entertainment during some rough times in my life, and they were always creative and enjoyable.

I wish you the best in whatever you do next, although with all of the Suplex City in your RE4 Anniversary Stream, I feel like I should wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Wow, that was kinda dumb. This game may not be the best you've LP'd, but it was the best you've LP'd a game, at least to me. Fantastic job making the cast so much more lively while showing off everything worthwhile about it.

Thanks for introducing me to the madness that is Taro Yoko, and the ten years of laughter!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Going to miss your LPs. You are definitely one of my favorite posters. Wishing you and your family the best!

Lord Pingu
Dec 16, 2016

Leon Cross posted:

Anyhow, thanks for all the work. Archive binging and paywall dodging your stuff was why I joined this site.

Same here. Literally just joined to read this LP, and it was an amazing ride as always.

Looking forward to the next one if you ever do another, and all the best from here on if you don't.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
There's only really one thing to say, after all this, TDI...

Thank you for playing!

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
So long, Id. You're a fantastic LPer; I will always remember your Nier LP in particular as one of the all-time greats. I wish you much success!

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Archenteron posted:

Thank you for playing!

You're gonna carry that wait... for Nier Automata's release date!

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
...RIP.

Oh, and I guess Setsuna died too.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Thanks for everything, DarkId. I'd been following your stuff for a while, but your Xenogears LP helped me get through some really, really hard stuff. Having laughs at such a bonkers game really kept my spirits up when I needed it most.

Best wishes to you and yours. Things will get better, I know they will. We'll be loving this poo poo again soon!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The game did manage to surprise me, since I wasn't expecting Setsuna to actually die, but they ended up doing in the most pointless fashion possible. I guess it makes sense in that empty "sadness" was part of the design, but drat.

Thank you for doing these LPs throughout the years, Id. Pretty sure the first one I ever read was your Dirge of Cerberus one, and the big Hojo reveal is still my favorite thing from any of the games you've done.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Huh, I haven't checked the let's play forum since the Drakengard 4 Let's Play ended. I come back here on a whim and discover a new Dark Id Let's Play right as it's ending. Life is funny sometimes.

Thanks for the many years of great Let's Plays Dark Id. You've written some truly hilarious things that I loved reading. I wish you luck in all your future endeavors.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Huh, I haven't checked the let's play forum since the Drakengard 4 Let's Play ended. I come back here on a whim and discover a new Dark Id Let's Play right as it's ending. Life is funny sometimes.

Thanks for the many years of great Let's Plays Dark Id. You've written some truly hilarious things that I loved reading. I wish you luck in all your future endeavors.
I'm pretty sure TDI would have a psychotic episode if Drakengard 4 were announced. :v:

Regardless, thanks for this and other LPs, even if I Am Setsuna was a consistently tepid work that needed a fair bit more polish.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

TDI LPs are what wound me up here, when a phantom paywall suddenly blocked me from reading a funny Chrono Cross thing.

What a perfect bookend. :v:

Thanks for the sincere fun, dude.

...and possibly for singlehandedly saving the Drakengard/NieR franchise.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I'm impressed that they actually went for the Setsuna death! I can't even complain that it was dumb - I mean, it was dumb, but in a way that fits with Setsuna's core character trait. It is a little disappointing that 1.) we got the time travel back 10 years and didn't get any familiar faces beyond dad 2.) Reaper didn't really contribute jack poo poo story-wise after he joins up. I hope the team does better next time.

Thanks for Drakengard, ID.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for the great LP. As always it was a fun and interesting ride.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
...Well if that wasn't the stupidest loving goddamn thing. I loving hate True Art Is Angsty writers, always pulling bullshit like this. I had actually been considering picking up this game after I got a PS4 with my tax return, but if that's the only ending I'm locked into, gently caress THAT.

That said, thanks for the LP, Id. Good stuff as always.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alopex posted:

I'm impressed that they actually went for the Setsuna death! I can't even complain that it was dumb - I mean, it was dumb, but in a way that fits with Setsuna's core character trait.

"Stupid as a sack of hammers"?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

NGDBSS posted:

I'm pretty sure TDI would have a psychotic episode if Drakengard 4 were announced. :v:

Well, Nier 2 is kind of like Drakengard 4, although who knows when that'll come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, Nier 2 is kind of like Drakengard 4, although who knows when that'll come out.

JP: February 23, 2017
NA: March 7, 2017
PAL: March 10, 2017

• Locked thread