Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Waiiiit a second...

Hmmmmm

Oh!

gently caress off IAS.

Come now, are you really surprised THIS late into the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really enjoy how there is literally no reason for this to happen but WE NEED A MAGUS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fabulousvillain posted:

Was Magus all that good as a party member? I don't know since the last time I played Chrono Trigger I killed him, probably should've killed Quiet from Metal Gear Solid V when I played that since I'll probably never play that game again.

Magus is an extremely strong magic user but has fewer combination techs than anyone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hes has absolutely no combination techs.

Unless you equip him with an obscure accessory.

Nah, he's got two, but they need Black Rock and Blue Rock respectively so it's not really worth it especially since most triple techs are less effective than just doing three single techs.

Edit: As your edit clarifies!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dingus' existence at least demonstrated that the last boss is aware of the party and trying to stop them. i mean, the only characterization he had was that he was really devoted to his creator and had no desire to betray him (oops), but at least he served a purpose in the story. nothing would change if the beetle never appeared and the stuff with julienne started the first time you entered that village. oh how tragic, one less ice cave.

To be fair "nothing would change if (x) never appeared" describes like 70% of the story including at least one party member.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Night10194 posted:

It's not like Setsuna even has a character.

Setsuna has a character.

See?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hey girl you up posted:

But they had the unfortunate luck of getting picked up by SquareEnix.

I'm not sure where you got this idea but that isn't what happened at all. The studio was formed by Square-Enix, they didn't get picked up afterwards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geostomp posted:

This game is really short.

It's really short and yet somehow feels padded out at the same time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solitair posted:

Remember the part of Chrono Cross where, in order to get Razzly's best tech, you have to let events play out so that her sister dies? It's not obvious, but your choice is between a happier ending to that subplot or more power for your characters. I wish more RPGs offered you that kind of choice.

Time for my weekly recommendation of Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

Setsuna's sidequest is pretty much entirely about PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE STEP-DAD vs DEADBEAT SECRET-DAD beefing over their oblivious idiot daughter.

Setsuna's sidequest is the only one I just never bothered with so this should be interesting

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh hey, I was looking forward to this next bit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume PVP is going to be "whoever goes first wins."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"I Am Setsuna: Tropical Edition" actually came out in 2001.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the sacrifice would be infinitely less dumb if it had any reason beyond Setsuna having a hard-on for wanting to sacrifice herself.

But nope, just gonna hug the sad angst monster, stab me in the face Endir.

Thanks for all the LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

You know, I have to hand it to I Am Setsuna. Putting aside the issue of the game's quality completely, when you see a JRPG with a theme like sacrifice you just sort of assume the power of friendship is going to make things work out in the end.

To be honest this might have been true 20 years ago but these days it's anything but. As pointed out this game cribs a lot from FFX and the ending is part of it. That's part of why it's hard to give them credit. It's not really daring when the game you're homaging the hell out of does the same thing.

• Locked thread