Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ManSedan posted:

I've read this game is largely, if not entirely in snowy cold regions and I think that's really cool.

It is, and the soundtrack is about 99% solo piano. The only exceptions I noticed are battle themes (which have some percussion and sometimes a second piano).

I have plenty of complaints about this game, but the soundtrack is brilliant the whole way through.

Augus posted:

The piano music is nice and all but it seems like it would wear thin after a while in a 20+ hour RPG. How much of the same instrument could you take?

The gamplay may be a clone of Chrono Trigger but the tone sure as hell doesn't seem to be. Unless the girl you're going to kill turns out to be a talking frog who wields a sword and speaks in ye olde proper English and then a giant robot joins your party just for the hell of it and helps you fight against the dinosaur empire. Man, Chrono Trigger had the best JRPG story ever.

I'm not sure when the "spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger" comparisons started coming up in the marketing, but yeah, they are not favorable to Setsuna. Its similarity to Chrono Trigger is in the combat alone. Everything else owes much larger debts to other, non-Chrono JRPGs.

Sometimes I forget how legitimately brilliant Chrono Trigger is. I think, "yeah, it's good, but how good could it really be? It's probably nostalgia making it seem so great." Then I replay it and I go, "oh, right, it's loving brilliant."

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

All this game really ever did for me was make me want to play Chrono Trigger again. I'm not a fan of the materia-like spritnite system they have, but the momentum thing is a cool addition to a system I otherwise felt like should have died with the SNES.

Also gently caress no autosaves. I once lost an hour and a half of progress because of a surprise boss that did a party wipe on me.

I really liked the momentum system. That and the music were my favorite parts.

I was a little disappointed with how spritnite turned out, but that discussion can wait until later in the LP, I think, when people who haven't played have a clearer picture of how the whole skill system plays out.

• Locked thread