Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Oh poo poo, I WOULD see this in my Twitter feed right when I should be going to sleep for my evening shift tonight. I really should just save it for later and go to sleep anyway.

...Eh, Red Bull and 5-Hour Energy Drinks are both things, so gently caress it, I can at least read this first update. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Drakenel posted:

It also may say something about our protoganist who took a 'job' without a single word of compensation. "Hey, go murder this girl because uh... mercenary?"

This is a JRPG. "Mercenary" is usually enough of a reason to go off and kill someone, especially if money is involved.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I suppose it would help if they offered to pay Endir for his services, but we all know that this is going to be some "Do it for your freedom that you would have in about 4 hours anyway" reward instead.

And since you said that there's only one ending, I can assume there's no ending where Endir just sits there until she leaves and then game over. In fact I'm guessing that even if you do get an actual choice, we'll be forcibly recruited somehow anyway.

And of course, since it's Square, there's undoubtedly no third option where Endir just Cyclones right from there, ganks both Setsuna and Aeterna (try that cutscene dual-tech bullshit NOW, why don't ya) before anyone thinks to act, then murders everyone else on his way out of the village. I bet Cavia would've had a choice like that.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

The Dark Id posted:

It’s kind of a pretty bad system overall. Really, we don’t have to participate dinking around with Fluxes at all to progress in the game. I am Setsuna is not very difficult of a game. It’s just this entire system is an overcomplicated mess for something that ought to be simple. It seemed like they were going for a cross between FF7 Material and FF9 Equipment teaching abilities, but threw in a bunch of RNG bullshit just because hey... old games loved that, right? Sheesh. Just use <Spritnite> X number of times and it will gain <Talisman>’s ability. There. Done. What are you even doing, game?

This is post-glory Squeenix, RNG bullshit is basically all they know about gameplay these days besides hitting X over and over to win. Unless they're remaking older games, which can be hit-or-miss (Dragon Quest remakes? Yes please! FF iOS remakes? Get that poo poo outta here.)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Cripes, Cyclone, Aura, a weapon named Antipode, revive items are named Atheian Water... oh, and we've also got a character in a FROG hoodie. When do we meet her archnemesis Wizus who killed her BFF Cynus?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Crystalgate posted:

Basically, it doesn't matter what skills Endir uses in a cut-scene, if he doesn't have a spiritnite with that skill equipped, he can't use it in battle.

Anyway, all this game is accomplishing is making me consider replaying Chrono Trigger. The developers lifted a lot of CT elements, but completely missed what made CT fun. This LP is fun because The Dark Id succeeds with what this game failed to do the most, characterize the characters. If I were to play this game myself, they'd go back to be rather hollow.

See, this is the problem when companies try to recreate the feel of classic games with design teams that not only are radically different from the original group, but also have more design talent than they do knowledge of plot structure. I've seen at least a few RPGs that tried to copy plot elements from older games in their series, and failed miserably at understanding what made those scenes so great in the first place. Examples would be Suikoden 5 and Final Fantasy IV The After Years, which both lifted plot elements directly from predecessors (Suikoden 2 and FF4, respectively), but with such radically different characters and situations that they didn't make even a fraction of the impact that the original games did. Read the LPs of S5 by vilkacis and FF4TAY by Mega64 if you want an idea of what I'm talking about.

Though at least S5 managed to be a drat solid game aside from the plot theft bits. TAY failed miserably on that count, and the jury's still out on Setsuna here.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

EggsAisle posted:

I really want to like this game, and I'm not sure why. The setting has plenty of potential, but is promptly undermined by the underwhelming plot and forgettable characters. I really wish they'd played with the winter motif a little more, too. The gameplay seems decent, if lacking polish, and I could see the Momentum mechanic being pretty cool if properly developed. I dunno. I'm kinda liking this game anyway, but maybe that's Id's presentation- I've never played the game, and $40 is more than I'm willing to pay. It looks orders of magnitude more enjoyable than The 3rd Birthday, at least.

Doing a belly flop onto a pile of rancid manure looks more enjoyable than The 3rd Birthday.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I see JRPG level laws are in effect again, kicking Ndir back to basic beginner levels despite having likely been significantly farther in his journey than Team Setsuna. Shouldn't the dude be like level, say, 12 or 15 at least? Oh, forget it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
On the subject of large parties and how they handle combat groups, I think my favorite way of handling it is the 4th through 6th Dragon Quest games. You typically have parties of around 7-8 people, but only four can fight at a time, and the party members currently not in the battle party will hang out in this horse-drawn covered wagon (DQ games are REAL traditional). While there isn't an explanation for this limit besides being a JRPG standard, if your main team should happen to get wiped out in an area where you have the wagon (which is anywhere on the world map and some dungeons), your backup team at least has the decency to get out there and replace the main team in an effort to save the day, rather than sit on their asses while your team gets slaughtered like most JRPGs apparently do (coughFFXcough).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I think the name for Shock is supposed to be a reference to General Leo's special attack in FF6. Which is totally a switch from the Chrono Trigger references! :v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Acne Rain posted:

remember that part of mario rpg where the party members try to walk back into mario but just crash into him because the king wasn't actually done talking yet

Or the part where the same thing happens when talking Gaz. And then when they're done talking they pause for a second (with Mario bracing himself) just in case he does it again. Though that part of the scene tends to get overshadowed by the part where Mario tries to loving punch a little kid.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Tenderville's deep dark secret is that it's exactly what it looks like: a peaceful town where absolutely nothing sinister is going down and nothing happens to it at all.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I know FFX was a few LPs ago, but I just found a video posted yesterday where someone went and, er, "remastered" FFX's entire soundtrack. It's definitely worth a listen.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Certain bosses were vulnerable to some status ailments in Final Fantasy 2 (there's several LPs floating around exploiting boss weaknesses like that). Most notably, the Emperor can be turned into a toad (which is one of many ID methods in that particular FF).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Look at Kir's ears. They're going to have elves in this game, he's going to be one, and they're all going to be precisely as insufferable and arrogant ("We hide from humans because we're BETTER than them and don't want those filthy savages polluting our commune(s).") as they are in every other JRPG in existence. Because why would Setsuna start being original NOW?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

"Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all!"

(Stupid sexy Emil)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

The Dark Id posted:

I’m missing one material shiny spot in all of the Floneian Territories. I’m glad that Donkey Kong 64 long ago crushed any and all will to 100% a game if I don’t have to do so. I’m a better person for it.

I hear that. I tend to be a rabid completionist about my RPGs, but Kingdom Hearts 1.5 cured me of the need to do that for every game. Those gummi ship segments were as boring as ever, and gently caress playing that bullshit for one instant longer than I need to, let alone long enough to complete all the bullshit missions for those useless-rear end blueprints all for the sake of one trophy. NOPE.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

bman in 2288 posted:

Seconding this. It was really stupid.

Anyone who hasn't read the Chrono Cross LP, check it out. It's good. It's TDI.

Seconded. This applies to most of his LPs, really. Some of those plots were only bearable thanks to TDI's commentary (though some cut it closer than others; Limbo of the Lost I could barely get through even with Id providing the occasional laugh).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I would totally read a TDI Chrono Trigger LP, even though I've played through the game like a dozen times or more and there really isn't much to make fun of besides how incredibly anime the game can get.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Anoia posted:

2. cool hair accessories

3. Attracted to dudes wearing masks

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

HR12345 posted:

So how do people pronounce Nidr? As Nid with the r being silent, or like knitter?

It's pronounced Ender, like the protagonist's name. They're homophones. The reason for this is that Ndir is secretly Endir's father, he used to be of the Masked Tribe, but needed to go into hiding, and took the Dr. McNinja approach of taking his mask off forever.

Sadly this is too much of a plot twist for I Am Setsuna's developers so it has about a 1.2% chance of being an actual thing.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

I think you would like Final Fantasy IV: The After Years. It has Quadruple and even Quintuple Techs!

Not to mention most of the Suikoden games. It features 6-person parties with lots of combo attacks. Dual and Triple Techs are extremely common, Quad- and Quintuple rare but still a thing, and Suikoden 5 even has a Sextuple Tech!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So am I correct in assuming that Cornelius appearing here is probably the biggest plot twist the game will offer? I would wonder if Julienne gave him the order to have Setsuna killed or if he's serving another master in secret, but come on, Julienne is a Playable Character in the most cliche-ridden JRPG in ages, so obviously she's not going to be involved in Shady poo poo.

Also I was glad to see that someone besides me was a fan of Rival Schools. It's still an underappreciated classic to me, especially since the Taiyo Rooftop theme is still one of my favorite vidya game tracks ever. My only regret was not getting a Dreamcast to play Project Justice.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Crowetron posted:

Chrono Trigger, as remembered by the developers of I Am Setsuna:

"OH NO Chrono! Marle disappeared into the teleportation machine! We'll have to venture into the unknown to find her and rescu--Oh, wait, here she is. She was just standing behind it. Nevermind."

~Credits~

Pretty accurate, but I'd say it's more on an individual quest scale, like say, replacing Yakra with Magus as Queen Leene's kidnapper and skipping the entire second trip through the Middle Ages, or having Azala have a heart attack during the first Prehistory trip.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
:geno:: "So for this last character, do we use her dedicated bio to talk about what she's like as a person, her combat record, maybe her motivation for fighting monsters, what are we going with here?"
:byodood:: "gently caress that, that's stupid and you're stupid, dedicate half of it to how she's a lovely cook, people LOVE that anime poo poo!"

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 19, 2016

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So is Ndir the only one that's going to a trippy secret-past vision, or are we going to get more of them about how Aeterna, Kir, and Julienne are Setsuna's sister, brother, and... other sister? Aunt maybe? How old is Julienne anyway? She seems older than the main cast of teenagers but this is a JRPG, so that could still easily put her at the Old Woman age of 19 or so.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I hope I wasn't one of the jackasses that bitched enough to close down the thread. If I was, I apologize. Either way I'm glad to see this back and will keep a closer eye on my posting content.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Vadoc posted:

I never watched the anime, but the abridged version is hilarious.

I watched through the first season when it showed up on Netflix.

When season 2 rolled around, I was not the least bit tempted to continue watching. Don't really care to watch 24 more episodes of Kirito Stu and his equally perfect waifu and the harem of girls that also want him.

I'll have to check out this abridged series though.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Ribbons are such great accessories that even weapons are equipping them.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

The Dark Id posted:

Finally, Julienne now has a water elemental polearm. Which has been a bit of a detriment when using her thus far, since it turns out quite a few creatures in a land covered in ice and snow are rather strong against water/ice magic. Who’d a thunk?

Has the whole ice/snow theme done much good for the game anyway? If anything, any potential good impressions the player may have had early on have probably been offset by the player being sick to loving death of all this snow by now.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Ah, the standard "serious drama poo poo just went down" part of the JRPG. Always a favorite bit. Now we wait for the deus ex machina that will magically fix all our problems and get us to the final dungeon!

The Dark Id posted:

Endir gains an ability that fills up everyone’s SP gauge instantly. I like to think he realizes a really bad pun that has been in front of his eyes this entire time and it gets him so fired up that the entire party rallies. Like the time a good friend of mine who is a big Dark Souls fan got a kitten and named it Siegmeyer of Catarina (just Sieg to not be insane.) Took me the better part of a year to get the Siegmeyer of CATarina part. Goddammit... I'm still mad about that pun. I know you read my LPs. I'm calling you out on that cat pun name!

I've had moments like that too. A recent one: I was playing through Persona 4 Golden for the umpteenth time, maxed out Teddie's Social Link, and unlocked the ability to fuse Helel, the ultimate persona of the Star arcana.

If you've never played Persona 4, you only need to know two things:
1. Teddie makes a lot of terrible bear-related puns on account of resembling a big stuffed blue bear.
2. Helel's title is the Light Bearer.

I only JUST realized that on my last run, which was like my 4th or 5th through the game. Teddie's bear puns are so omnipresent that even the fourth wall makes them on his behalf!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So you've got the main character, a tank, and two casters in your team right now?

...I'm having Wild Arms 2 flashbacks. I really hope they don't take away your meatshield just before they make you fight the hardest boss in the game. Twice.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
You know, it would be really nice if this new Spritnite was powerful enough to make Setsuna worth using. Maybe a full team heal with some extra bonuses (like temporary damage resistance or something).

Sadly, this is Squeenix, who can't balance a cast of characters worth poo poo, so it's probably going to be a generic and probably single-target heal spell. Or, even more likely, entirely plot-specific and thus not usable in battle at all.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Bufuman posted:

You know, it would be really nice if this new Spritnite was powerful enough to make Setsuna worth using. Maybe a full team heal with some extra bonuses (like temporary damage resistance or something).

Sadly, this is Squeenix, who can't balance a cast of characters worth poo poo, so it's probably going to be a generic and probably single-target heal spell. Or, even more likely, entirely plot-specific and thus not usable in battle at all.

After reading that last update... Well, drat, I stand corrected. Glad to see that the title character has shot up from "borderline useless" to "pretty much the best character by a mile (besides the protagonist since this IS a JRPG and heroes are always broken)".

So out of curiosity what is the Water Chip thing a reference to? I feel like it's something I should know but I'm drawing a blank.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I suppose Kir will be more likely to support this version of Trebuchet, since he'd be producing ammunition (fiery, burning ammunition) rather than BECOMING ammunition.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Qrr posted:

The game really does have pretty good music.

And it really, really needs a minimap. And a world map.

It could definitely use a few things, yes. Aren't Steam games moddable? Someone should get to work on making an IAS mod.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Waiiiit a second...

Hmmmmm

Oh!

gently caress off IAS.

Shame we didn't get a chance to not fight him and have him join up. But it's probably for the best. The dev team would've had to come up with a plausible reason for him to not fight us, and given that the team's own reason for not fighting him would've been "Because Setsuna doesn't want to despite any protests from the rest of the team or the player", plausible reasoning is clearly something foreign to them.

But Aeterna agreeing to finally tell you everything and then just fading out is freaking hilarious.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So wait, Aeterna is a clone of the Time Judge who is possibly some sort of future version of Setsuna?

I wonder if Endir ever got busy with Aeterna it would count as a foursome?

...Dammit, brain, out of the gutter!

Blackunknown posted:

Xenogears is a special kind of crazy that is hard to replicate. As far as I'm aware there is no other JRPG that lets you Kung Fu fight a Goddamn T-Rex, which is a massive oversight from the current video game industry.

There's also Tales of Graces, which lets you kung fu a giant gozilla monster. It's so huge that one of the mid-game dungeons is its stomach, after it EATS YOU. It has individual teeth bigger than your characters! It's probably one of the cooler fights in the game.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

These developers are utter hacks, and I'm saying that as someone who has no attachment to Chrono Trigger at all.

I freaking love Chrono Trigger and I still think this.

Fabulousvillain posted:

Was Magus all that good as a party member? I don't know since the last time I played Chrono Trigger I killed him, probably should've killed Quiet from Metal Gear Solid V when I played that since I'll probably never play that game again.

Magus has great stats and a lot of powerful spells, but he's sharply limited in that he's basically all offense. No healing and only one buff spell (which can be replicated by items and certain equipment), so he's a big one-trick pony. He hits hard magically, but Crono can put out similar numbers thanks to his ultimate spell having a higher multiplier than Magus's. Also, all of his spells are multi-targeting, which can be a bad thing since a bunch of bosses have multiple parts that counterattack if you hit the wrong piece. And as mentioned, he has no combination attacks without wasting a valuable accessory slot on someone.

tl;dr: He's good but just not varied enough to be worth using over others.

If there's one good thing to be said about him, he's a good source of elemental coverage. He's got attack-all spells of every element, and is the best source of Shadow-type damage, which normally requires you to burn two character slots on Marle and Lucca for the Antipode series, or use Robo's weak Laser Spin attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Junpei posted:

low content posting

Wow, ego much? If you dislike Id's writing and like your own so much, hows about you go do your OWN LP instead of trying to "improve" others?

• Locked thread