Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Hey, a new Dark Id LP! This happened sooner than I thought it would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

It's a bummer that the physical characters in this game outclass the magic-oriented ones so much. In Chrono Trigger, even Marle, who was easy to bench in favor of Frog, had exclusive access to the Haste spell.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Kurieg posted:

And most of the better double techs required a spellcaster or two.

Also, I may have said this before, but I Am Setsuna barely has any double techs at all at this point, which I also disliked about Chrono Cross.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Jak 3 is really good, and copies of it aren't hard to come across. You need to rectify this issue posthaste.

If I still played games as my main hobby I'd be taking this advice myself.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

The Dark Id posted:

I am Setsuna is not a terrific game. Nor is it terrible by any means! I liked it well enough and I've hated most every RPG since the early 2000s. But it definitely has some severe issues. I’d call it an interesting failure to live up to what it was going for, in the end. Granted, I’d consider Chrono Trigger to be the best RPG ever so… you know, I’m not going to blame any game for falling short of that.

Watching this LP makes me realize how much I've outgrown the average JRPG. I'm going to assume that something will happen later that elevates the game above terrible, because it's weirding me out that most people here feel more contempt for this game than TDI himself.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

The Dark Id posted:

I was going to append this to the next Snow Chronicle update (and still will for archive purposes.) But here's a video of all the Techs we've gotten so far.

I take back what I said so far about I Am Setsuna not having enough dual and triple techs, but they still look less satisfying than Chrono Trigger's.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Junpei posted:

You know, Big Crunch gave me an idea. I think I'll do it for every Triple Tech.

: Gates to the boundary of space!
: Collapse upon these unworthy souls!
: And swallow them whole!
: BIG CRUNCH!

I wish more games with stuff like Triple Techs did this kind of thing, but only the first time you used the attack. It'd get old after that.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Boy do I wish Endir was actually saying all the stuff in the LP.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Wow. Alright, that's actually pretty interesting.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Wait, there are people who don't like strawberry ice cream?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

How did strawberry become a standard ice cream flavor, anyway?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, that's this year alright.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Isn't this the same weapon upgrade system from Final Fantasy 13? I tried to forget 13, so I could be wrong.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Artix posted:

More or less, although FF13's weapons have a lot less statistical variance in their base forms.

Oh yeah, FF13 just had Strength and Magic, right? That was weird.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

... I actually smiled a little at the Dragnarok pun.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

hey girl you up posted:

So we're in a rebirth loop until we defeat Samsara.

Just a little on the nose there, I am Setsuna.

Is it more or less on the nose than Final Fantasy X's kaiju being named Sin?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I think my favorite video game pipe dream concept is a Xenogears remake that presents the cut content on Disc 2 as it was originally meant to be. We're getting a Final Fantasy 7 remake instead.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

An online publication I like to read did a mention of the writers' favorite games of 2016, and one of them put I Am Setsuna on the list. His reasoning basically boils down to "it has everything I like about JRPGs, but it's manageably short."

At least someone's having fun.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Junpei posted:

No offense, Id, but so far this is one of your weaker LP's (of course, this is coming from someone who doesn't really like your writing style).

I can't even agree with that. TDI has turned Endir into one of the most endearing characters in his LPs that I can remember, pun intended.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

The Dark Id posted:

Huh... I guess we haven’t gotten Aeterna’s Chrono Trigger reference weapon yet. Weird... Anyway, this dagger is lame. Give me the walrus dagger or the HF Blade.

The Crisis Dagger is a reference to Robo's Crisis Arm. Since you get it bundled with the Terra Arm, a much less situational weapon, I can see why you'd overlook it.

Burger Flipper posted:

Edit: I guess I should probably actually say something relevant to the game itself. I don't know how I feel about Reaper joining like this. I guess, even though he had a portrait, I kinda wished they weren't gonna do it. Would have made a nice twist for people who were expecting it to happen. And him joining so late makes it feel even less worth it than it was for Magus. Though I don't know how long these sidequests will be.

The fact that Dingus appears to have a different personality than Reaper did makes it even more pointless. I might be on board with this if they made Reaper a consistent character instead of an afterthought, but as he is, I'm just shaking my head.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Thuryl posted:

The Crisis Arm is less situational than it sounds; the description makes it sound like it'll do more damage at low HP, but it actually multiplies his damage by the last digit of his HP. Robo gets to 999 HP pretty easily, so after that just keep him at full HP and he'll wreck house. I don't know how its counterpart in this game works, though.

Well, poo poo. I guess I should have experimented more when I played the game.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Kaninrail posted:

I actually 100% agree with you on that! Cross suffered a lot from having Trigger's standards forced upon it without also giving it the development time to meet them; the cast was just wayyyyyyy too big to give development to anyone not named Serge or Kid in the time they were given to get the game out, but the battle system was good and the graphics were quite pretty for the time.

edit: And the opening theme was fantastic.

I really wanted to like Chrono Cross. I flip-flopped on whether or not I liked most of the game mechanics in the years since it came out, being just the right age to miss Chrono Trigger the first time around and catch Cross upon release. I'm one of the few people I know who actually likes the harsh tonal shift between games, and it seemed like this would be a game I'd start arguments in defense of. But I also thought the story ended up falling apart at the end, starting from the moment you open that one door in Chronopolis.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

the_steve posted:

Admittedly, I didn't think Dingus was going to actually kill the kid. But, it was nice to hope.
And it would have been gods damned amazing if he did. Like seriously

Dingus: *murders child*
You obtained Dragnarok spritnite

Remember the part of Chrono Cross where, in order to get Razzly's best tech, you have to let events play out so that her sister dies? It's not obvious, but your choice is between a happier ending to that subplot or more power for your characters. I wish more RPGs offered you that kind of choice.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Alright, developers of I Am Setsuna, you convinced me not to hold anything against your game.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Honestly, the most obvious thing that Tokyo RPG Factory (what an unfortunate name) can do in the future is not invite comparisons to other games, because that will never work out well for them even if their writing ability improves drastically between projects.

The LP was pretty sweet, and I understand if you have to make this your last one for a long time. Good luck with your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, TDI is my favorite screenshot LPer by a wide margin. His Resident Evil 4 LP may have been my first LP, period; I remember being introduced to the very concept by a post on Yahtzee's blog that heavily recommended all of the Resident Evil ones.

But if this is the end, I'm alright with that. If I miss his stuff, I'll just read the FF10 LP, which I haven't touched yet.

• Locked thread