Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh boy, this game already? Nice. Haven't played much but I can echo a whole bunch of points here.
Something that can't really be understated is that this game nails it's aesthetic like woah. I actually swore at the game when I noticed some details that look, really freakin' good. The color palette can leave something to be desired but it fits the theme and tone of the game as a whole so I consider it a subjective complaint.

One thing to note is that this tutorial is mandatory and takes like, 15 minutes. Compared to Chrono Trigger where the 'tutorial' is optional and takes like 5-6 minutes tops, supplemented by the first chunk of gameplay being designed to ease you into the systems as a whole. First big hint that everything CT in this game is mostly going to be systems and music.

Black Mage Knight posted:

Yeah, this game is pretty much Chrono Trigger in gameplay only. Everything else about it is not even trying to be like CT, which while I do love CT, I actually kinda like that about this game.
Not quite true actually, this game does borrow/reimagine a lot of music from Chrono Trigger which I feel is to it's detriment. I Am Setsuna has some good tracks but some of the ones you hear the most are cribbed pretty directly from Trigger and it makes the effort put into this game seem transparent.

U-DO Burger posted:

I am really loving that random battle theme, but I can imagine the constant piano in the rest of the game gets annoying after awhile
The battle theme is one of the worst tracks in the game because it's Chrono Trigger's, only without everything that made CT's battle theme amazing. (Soft Piano instead of Faux Guitar really ruins the energy and hype. As does the slower tempo.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

U-DO Burger posted:

CT's normal battle theme wasn't that great tbh. Actually most of Mitsuda's normal battle themes aren't anything to write home about. He's generally pretty good at boss themes though

To be fair a significant part of my dislike for it is because I prefer high energy music and I feel Setsuna's theme does the original disservice.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The World Map is peachy keen, although this island doesn't show off what I really like about it.

CrashScreen posted:

The protagonist seems to be treated as experienced and skilled, but so far the game doesn't seem to portray that. Let's hope he catches his break soon.

The sad fact of the matter is that Endir probably could take these two, except he let them talk and charge up a dual tech.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Woodbeam posted:

Green, a pink-to-purple gradient, and various shades of orange?

I'm not a fashion or art guy, but that seems pretty... wrong.

It's less for fashion and more for game design that everyone has bright/distinctive colors in order for you to identify them easily against the background color palette.

Edit: it also looks dumber in detail than on the actual models.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 24, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Mokinokaro posted:

Japan almost always subverts it in some way though, at least in JRPGs.

There's also the whole shrine (warrior) priestess and sealed evil thing going on. Subverted Martyrdom is like the 'IT WAS HIS TWIN EVIL BROTHER' drama hook for that.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Crystalgate posted:

Anyway, does the two hits actually help Aeterna or is it like Suikoden II where hitting twice means each hit does half damage?

The game does multiple hits for a weird reason as far as I know. It both wants there to be a combo system with how Momentum works and as a 'unique' way to show damage dealt.
To actually take a stab at your question: in Aeterna's case it's more the latter, but I also haven't gotten far enough to see if there's anything Suikoden II-ish that has any synergism with her two hits.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Lots of field areas in this game have shortcuts to make it really quick to back out of them. It's nice. Not as nice as auto-teleporting, but hey that gives you an excuse to grind a bit while on the way.

This Alt-Endir is great. Mine kind of immediately copped on to the whole 'wait, you're preventing gehenna from happening and they want me to kill you? Good thing there's a million loopholes I can exploit in that contract, not to mention they're probably not paying me anywhere near enough for this.'

Artix posted:

To be fair, it's only a $40 game. That said, that's still probably more than I'm willing to pay for it.
Still not worth that. $30 bux probably but alas.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Because Setsuna is a lost puppy and Endir is a stone cold badarse that was willing to kill her for a vaguely-discussed paycheck. Ain't it romantic? No, no it is not stop doing this dangit
Or she is attempting and succeeding to guilt trip/stockholm syndrome him into a loyal bodyguard since he seems able to actually handle himself.

Plus he sets his sword on fire/darkness. Chicks love swords set on fire/darkness.

Anoia posted:

"I had a dream I was a frog, battling an evil magus here... you're not an evil magus, are you?"

"Alack Cyrus! I knew thee Masamune!"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

And no one knows the specifics of the sacrifice since everyone dies when they go on it. So that premise is pretty unclear.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Materant posted:

And with this update, I'm now going completely blind!

I really didn't get far before I lost interest.
That's kind of a shame. The next town has pretty kickin' music.

Also this little side trek is something that the game will take us to later but you can explore and open up now. It's reminiscent of how Chrono Trigger let you explore some short dungeons and grab the loot there with no consequence other than self-imposed backtracking (technically.)

This even has an 'end of path' shortcut that goes both ways! So you can skip the long way on the way back. It's kinda neat.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 28, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Wheel of Fatality, turn turn turn, what is the dismemberment he shall earn?

Also, cursed equipment that was really strong but had negative effects (like making the character undead, sapping health, poisoning etc.) is common in popular old school jRPG's that this apes too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I really like this theme since it actually has character and does something interesting with the piano motif.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Confirms that they didn't really go over what actually made CT great.

Even then their math is off, considering replayability is part of what makes CT a 'timeless' classic :v:

bman in 2288 posted:

I just want to say, in real life, do not do jumping sword strikes, that's overcommiting and it will get you killed. That being said, this new jump strike move looks like it owns bones. Good job, Endir.
Too bad he didn't find the proper Spiritnite for it :suicide:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Momomo posted:

I actually find the idea of a snow covered world interesting, if they got creative with it. Whether they did, or the game just has fifty locations that are either "snow-covered forest" or "snow-covered town" has yet to be seen, though.

The most interesting thing about it is the world map as far as I know. It's hard to tell in screenshots but it's really, really great pseudo 3d.

Other than that it strikes me as them being tryhard to capture a moment in CT, IE when you step out of the cave into the Ice Age blizzard when first visiting Zeal.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

If you're not into jRPG's or RPG's in general, Chrono Trigger probably isn't going to change that. If you are at all into the genre though you should definitely give it a whirl.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have played Chrono Trigger and let me tell you: It is not making this game any more entertaining.

This game seems to exist to make Chrono Cross seem like a good sequel

I contest your use of the phrase 'good sequel.'

I'd say it makes Chrono Cross more interesting.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Also a minor note, Aerial Strike isn't a full-screen AoE, it just has a pretty ridiculous AoE radius to go with it.

I don't blame the mix up though, the only reason I know is because of running out of MP to use Browbeat and just going 'eff it' and being surprised when it didn't kill an exploding baby seal on the other edge of the screen.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 10, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's other dark secret is that someone's been mislabeling all of the signs. It's really called Tinderville.

How else is everyone able to have nice fires to keep warm in this perpetual winter?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Samuel L. Chan posted:

The soldier next to him actually is a sleepy, quiet soldier too. They could have just called them Biggs and Wedge.

ZOAH and Karsh :v:

Their dialogue is pretty great too since they lampshade each other. They also have something to say with every plot beat (Floneia has that in spades actually thanks to the mechanic of 'ask people where to find the dude.')

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Pyroi posted:

In the next dungeon, we will fight more Pengiis, as well as their downgraded versions, Pengis.

Seriously is Id just overlevelled or something? Or is this game just poo poo for balance?
When faced with the issue of Palette Swaps, Tokyo Factory seems to have taken the hard line stance of there being no swaps ever. Not even buffed-for-no-inexplicable-reason normal enemies.

Coming up is where I stopped picking up the game, so I'm interested to see if I'm right about my predictions of it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Junpei posted:

Provoke is useless? What if you want to roll with Nidr/Setsuna/Aeterna, and want to take the heat off the squishies? Or can Endir just not be removed from the party?
Blowbeat takes the heat off of the squishies by killing them dead before they can move.

Nothing a non-Endir/Nidr team can do to match that.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bufuman posted:

I would totally read a TDI Chrono Trigger LP, even though I've played through the game like a dozen times or more and there really isn't much to make fun of besides how incredibly anime the game can get.

Chrono is the most expressive mute protagonist in the entire genre. The lines you can stick in his mouth can be crazily outlandish.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

That's stupid. Penguins couldn't reach the robot's controls with their tiny little arm/wing things. It's obviously that werewolf baron with the stylish cape who's out for revenge.

It's his descendant who went back in time to try and save the Wolf Baron from dying in order to save the Wolf Barony from being overtaken by the Tiger Kingdom.

Alas, the world map changed quite a bit and it's a real pain to get through trees in a giant time travelling robot.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Or if it was outright stated that he needs to kill her ASAP.

I mean, that's the implication. But as Id pointed out, that leaves the contract really open to interpretation.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Crowetron posted:

On the other hand, if Mystery Man hadn't changed his tune after a 5 second argument, we might actually have a hint of growing tension between Endir and the Setsuna Pals, and maybe even have gotten an actual antagonist aside from the world's laziest DeviantArt OC and a bunch of fluffy woodland creatures.

And inexplicable RULERS OF TIME Robots.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

FFX's intro scene had that (and in other places) and the main reason it worked so well was because you had stuff to be poignant and sad about.
This game seems to have forgotten those bits.

Heck, the Miguel Fight in Chrono Cross is an awesome example because of the right mix of presentation (the music,) spectacle (how hard can a normal dude b- he just cut my grunge cyborg in half with a lightsaber WTF) and narrative (sorry childhood girlfriend, your dad wants me to kill him.)
Setsuna has the presentation, lost the spectacle, and it's narrative is neither complimenting it's presentation nor compensating for it's lackluster spectacle.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I think this is a good example of why writing by using tropes is bad

They remembered the sad parts of snes rpgs because they were mostly lighthearted and fun and the sad parts contrasted with it.

Just trying to force a bunch of "sad parts" and other tropes you liked together doesn't make a story work.

Using tropes to tell a story isn't bad, it's when you skimp on effort and only use tropes that it is bad. You have to slap a coat of paint on them, make sure they all line up right and trim them so they're all nice, neat and presentable.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's relatively easy to guess what's going on just by what we've seen.

Either she's possessed by some evil master that also commands Reaper or she is Hyde to Reaper's Jekyll (would explain the bags under her eyes.)

Yeah this is pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to finding out but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a wet flop based on what the game has already shown. (Compared to the 'first visit to 12,000 B.C. mystery in Chrono Trigger.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Big Crunch is indeed neat, the rest kind of lose something with the momentum and hit flashes though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

the_steve posted:

I don't think the game ever showed it, but, Reaper seems to have a case of "Bad Guy Absorbs Mcguffin Powerup Not Meant For Man"
I would bet money that when the gang confronts him for the final time, he turns into some big fuckoff monster because he couldn't contain all of the power.

As to where he got it from in the first place or anything, I have no idea, like I said: I don't think the game has shown or explained it yet.

Double bonus on said power being what's actually doing everything and when the party knocks it out of him he'll turn out to be a regular shmuck who absorbed the power for a Good Reason.

Well, a regular shmuck with a bunch of darkness-based techs that rubbed off on him at least :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

MachuPikacchu posted:

I hope we can get past Gatherington and the Fridging Caves, so that we can reach the Evilling Lair that leads to the Finalling Dungeon.

You mean the 'Preparing Lair' that leads to the 'Dinnering Dungeon.'

Cooking Lair would work too but that would be sad instead of silly. Because it would make me hungry.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

StandardVC10 posted:

I can't believe that incredibly shady Magic Consortium guy failed us.

Where else are we going to get the quantities of rope and wood needed in order to enact the catapult plan? Not to mention making sure that wood and rope won't disappear like Aeterna and the Walrus Dagger did. If the Walrus Dagger can just up and poof out of existence, anything can :ohdear:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It is kind of soon for them to be talking about it considering BIG RAM EULE just showed up.

Do love the concept art for the ruins though. That looks neat as heck.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Julie for Maximum Spite.

Airships aren't royalty after all. Plus it's technically Kir's idea :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I actually like Eutess' staff. It's neat and the sort of thing I'd expect to have on a Time Lord's staff.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tae posted:

For all intents and purposes, Tokyo RPG is as autonomous as Eidos or DontNod. They're featured with their own company logo for the Switch.

Like, sometimes developers are just bad and it's not the publisher's fault.

Unless it's EA.

No I don't harbor a grudge what are you talking about :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

StandardVC10 posted:

You screwed up the tags in the Icicle Disaster bit. Also it's "invoke" not "envoke."

Tell that to half the VA's that voiced that line :thejoke:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

After the whole Eutess thing I can totally understand why Aeterna lost out to Kir.

"No Aeterna, now you are the Eutess."
'And then she was a Walrus Dagger.'

Every Gremlin must have his day!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Crystalgate posted:

However, making the plot twist unexpected is not what makes it great, it's the emotional investment of the player that does it. The plot twist being unexpected just prevents it from severely losing the impact you gained via the buildup.

This is why I get annoyed at people who hate spoilers because they often make this mistake. The buildup and payoff is the actual important part, not how unexpected that payoff is.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

See Setsuna, this is what happens when you save everyone. Especially mortal enemies of each other.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Random old men in cottages might have been Eutess's contact network for her and Aeterna to chat with each other. I mean that other dude in that other cottage knew about time distortions like, a few hours before we ever saw one :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

The frog swordsman? Really?

'Alath Cyrus, I knew thee Masamune!'

• Locked thread