Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Sweet, new TDI LP!

Doesn't seem to be much to say about the game yet. That sure was a tutorial. I'm confident that everyone here knows exactly what a spirtnit is and will never have any trouble spelling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Are damage numbers for abilities broken in this game? I assume [Null] is supposed to be a number, but they forgot to set it.

Or is it intended to say [Null]? Does it mean anything?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Zagglezig posted:

I'm going with forcing the refugees to fight the monsters, personally.
Speaking of dealing with the monsters, Nidr failed and presumably the sacrifice died before reaching the end goal. Does that mean the past, I dunno, 5? years have had the increased monster activity that the sacrifice is suppose to dim down and no one really noticed it was getting all that bad until now? It's not like Nidr was killing all the monsters all over the continent, after all. He was just trying to fool that one town. Or do we assume his mission was maybe multiple Sacrifices ago, rather than the previous one?

I believe he said his pilgrimage was 20 years ago, while Setsuna's mom's pilgrimage was 10 years ago, so I guess the 10 years between them kind of sucked? Though why he still had to fight the monsters in the town for the last 10 years I don't know. Maybe pilgrimages never actually work and the only reason monsters stop showing up is guardians feeling guilty.

Kind of shocking that he wasn't one of Setsuna's mom's guardians, given the way the game has generally gone.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Watching this LP, I'm quite sure I don't want to buy the game but I may pick up the soundtrack. It's got some pretty cool music.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

So is the game ever going to bring up again that you can negotiate with (and therefore presumably talk to) monsters?

Maybe you can't actually negotiate with monsters and the idiot lord was just throwing people at the monsters for no reason. Actually, if the monsters were pengiis you could probably kill them by throwing people at them. Wow, what a brilliant plan!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Crowetron posted:

I am Setsuna bestiary:

A fuzzy penguin
A squirrel
A penguin with funny eyebrows
TIMEFUCK HELLGOD
A dog with a hat

Also bipedal dog ladies who have the ability to assume human form but never do (or is there a recolor of them that actually follows through on that bit of fluff?)

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Serious Frolicking posted:

after the party hits a dead end on their route, they must backtrack to the town with the airship to reach the next area. unfortunately, the airship has been infested with giant robots!

I think you're being silly and assuming that they will remember robots exist later in the game. In the next area what you'll actually be fighting is pengiis again. Not the evolved form, just the same ones you fought in the starting area.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Picayune posted:

The Apparth Ruins made me think 'ooh, optional post-game dungeon'. That doesn't seem very Setsuna-ish, though.

Really? It's pretty much omnipresent in JRPGs, and I am Setsuna certainly wants to check all those boxes.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 2, 2016

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Picayune posted:

I guess what I meant is that that sounds too interesting to be in Setsuna. :v:

Remember that some versions of Chrono Trigger have additional dungeons and people don't like them. So it's obvious where the inspiration will come from.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

So on the subject of "monsters are no different than humans, we have to eat too"... are there animals in this world that aren't monsters or humans? Like, after someone sacrifices themselves is there a worldwide nutritional crisis since people can't get their protein from penguin steaks or wolf baron brains or wherever?

I guess if monsters are somehow one big happy family (penguins and bears and beetles together forever) and the only food options for a carnivore are other monsters or humans, it could cause issues. I am fully prepared for this to be completely ignored going forward though.

Or maybe none of the monsters understand dying. It's like, sure I stabbed and ate your best friend, but just give them some food and they'll be fine, right?

Oh, and this new characters introduction starts with "what incredible magical energy", but she has a swordlance so I expect her to be just as much of a caster as Aeterna is.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 5, 2016

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

Well, I hope this puts the mystery of "are the monsters getting more intelligent" to bed.

It doesn't, actually. Maybe they were always this intelligent. Or maybe they're getting dumber. It's pretty clear that talking to each other isn't really a high priority for either side, so who knows what monster culture was like 5 years ago?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So Julienne is apparently the one who put the hit out on Setsuna... and is also apparently going to be our last party member? Okaayyyy...

To be fair, two types of people get real portraits: party members and big bads.

But yeah, probably just mind control. By presumably a monster, and everyone will be surprised by how intelligent it is.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

apparently kir being smacked around in cutscenes is all he is good for

Imagine if his secret gremlin technique for not dying worked in combat.

Though on the other hand if I were in a JRPG and I had to choose between being invulnerable to cutscene bullets and being invulnerable to in-combat bullets, I know which one I'd pick. Phoenix downs only work on one of those.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I feel like after your kingdom has crumpled to dust and no one even remembers it's real name maybe you stop being part of the royal family. I guess that's just me being biased.

Alternatively, it's just called the ancient kingdom and it's a completely functioning society with a king in charge. I suppose that wouldn't make any less sense than this other stuff.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

Eh, Cornelius was acting a bit shifty there. Might be related to whoever he's working for. I'm sure the reveal will be disappointing.

He actually acted kind of shockingly non-shifty. Like, he's clearly working for some bad dudes trying to stop the sacrifice, but the party shows up with a cure for badness and he's like "sure, sounds good to me". The Magic Consortium guy acted way shiftier and probably nothing will come of it.

I guess in our world a bad cold makes you sneeze, while in IAS world a bad cold causes you to turn evil and glow purple.

Also everyone talks about how ordinary people can't get to the last lands. My guess is you can walk there and the only thing that stops ordinary people is the high chance of penguin attacks. Like, "ordinary people can't run across the freeway".

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

MagicalPoison posted:

Nah, Beetle Boy has to save Julienne's life on the icy flow so she too can question whether or not monsters are intelligent.

Nah, Julienne's anti-monster racism is probably at an end because she's not possessed (sick?) anymore. Now she'll stop hurting their feelings and just xenocide them like the rest of the party.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I like how Cheer says it doesn't work when the party isn't guarding a sacrifice. That's right, this technique that only Setsuna can use doesn't do anything when Setsuna isn't in the party.

Also monsters are apparently completely impossible to eat. I wonder how that works out with the cooking system where you combine a few random monster drops to make dinner.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

HardDiskD posted:

I'm just hoping the boss will be a mildly cute creature. :allears:

Boss should be Walrus dagger. It would be really easy to defeat except everyone always concedes rather than attack it.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Mokinokaro posted:

That Reaper scene is one of the most confusing things this game has had.

He's so going to end up joining our party by the end isn't he?

Honestly when the boss went into cutscene mode after the fight I thought Reaper was going to show up and stop it from wrecking the party, then join. I guess he'll do that later.

And hey, Julienne actually showed some personality and a desire for something there. Character development!

With the barriers gone, has the world opened up a bit or did you just get some alternate paths to the same place?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

IronCastKnight posted:

Well, that's something I wasn't expecting from this game. On the other hand, a cliche old man covered in penguin poo poo is a good metaphor!

I assume he included the screenshot because if he didn't, he'd get a lot of typo corrections from people telling him the line should have been in italics. It definitely feels like something he would have added.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

They were pretty big so he might have just noticed that part of the night sky was really different.

He just had a black hole detector set up. Because those barriers were black holes somehow.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Carpator Diei posted:

Id's addition made me think... They're really focusing on the blood, not saying that she desperately needed something to eat... So it's implied that she drank the monster's blood to avoid dying from thirst... while trapped somewhere by an avalanche... an avalanche made of snow... snow, as in, literally frozen water...

I think it's more that the monster blood gave her superpowers that let her walk home despite having wandered around like an idiot in the snowstorm for hours.

I really wonder if at some point Cornelius is going to mention to Endir that maybe the assassination plan is off since it was presumably ordered by his possessed boss who he is clearly not listening to anymore. This guy provided the motivation for the whole start of the game even though he knows she drank monster blood and that it drives people crazy.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

HenryEx posted:

So no one except Setsuna and Aeterna are allowed in the party anymore except for MAYBE boss fights, i guess. Was nice knowing you, Nidr and Julienne.

Looks like Luminaire is in 2 dual and one other triple tech - they're presumably not as good as grand cross but maybe they're good enough?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Epoch seems like the right choice.

Alright, fine, Spitenite seems pretty good.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 15, 2016

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The game really does have pretty good music.

And it really, really needs a minimap. And a world map.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I appreciated the Eternal Darkness reference. That was a good game.

I assume Aeterna's fadeout is because she's about to fade in as some kind of monster (Aeterna pengy reskin?), but just peacing out again would be hilarious.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Materant posted:

So at what point will "wait poo poo what happens if they kill me and still lose" cross her mind? This is poorly thought out.

That was the point of "if you fail this land will be destroyed". If you don't fight the dark Sammy then time loops again, if you do then you better win or else you lose forever. Or until you reload your save, whichever comes first.

For the line "Although, I’m sure none of you remember, of course...", there's Setsuna's face instead of Aeterna's, by the way.

Also even though the game "but thou musts" you into fighting this time around, it feels kind of out of character for this Endir to go straight there. After all, if they beat the boss then Setsuna doesn't die and Endir doesn't get paid. I mean, I guess he could kill her after they beat the boss but that would be way harder.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I voted Kir because he actually has something interesting to resolve (his 5 years to live or whatever) and I'm looking forward to the game resolving something totally different.

Also I feel bad for him because the main reason TDI seems to hate him is that he's a mage in a game where the tanks outmage the mages. And his voice actor has a hatred for human ears I guess - maybe gremlins like hearing screeches.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

28 votes (Why is Kir in the top 3?!)

Everyone loves an underdog.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

You know, it really wouldn't take much of a twist to have the party be the bad guys. I mean, Setsuna means well but she's incredibly gullible and naive, so she could be convinced to go along with whatever. And Endir, well, duh. Mercenary, kills for money. Aeterna is the projection of a thousand year old superpowered time judge, and that never ends well. Julienne was possessed by "monster blood", suuuure. And Dingus is obvious.

Nidr and Kir (gremlinness aside) would be tougher, but I'm sure someone could find a reason.

Long story short, Beetle boy was totally justified in looking at the party and saying "hell no am I giving you this super powerful spritnite [stone]".

(Also, why the heck did Reaper kill beetle mom? I guess maybe we'll find out in the alternate universe where Endir says "hey, no kidicide")

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

To be fair, they're totally right about most humans. I mean, really - look at the humans in this world. Total assholes. Kir got super lucky that he got the party with Setsuna in it or else he would have been skinned or something.

They're just way more proactive than the rest of the demihumans, who are happy to sit around waiting to be murdered by monsters or humans or both.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nah, exactly one town gave a gently caress about kir's existence and that town had other problems.

I think that's more a matter of people not reacting to how weird your party is and the ephemerality of your party member's mattering.

And every town had other problems, because this is an RPG and towns exist to have problems. Or for inns, but IAS doesn't believe in inns.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wonder if it's gonna be ender or setsuna that asks butler guy to put the hit out on the sacrifice

at this point I can't see anyone else doing it (since apparently the other party members are done for the game and there's really no one else to play that role anymore), so it's either them or the plot point was forgotten entirely

I'm pretty sure it was Dark Samsara via mind controlled Julienne, but Endir getting Cornelius to hire him in the past would be kind of cute.

Though frankly TDI's Endir would try to get Cornelius to hire someone else, anyone else really, because this job is obviously not going to pay out. Unless you count the myriad weapons of ancient civilizations and an immense pile of monster body parts, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Thanks for all the LPs! They've always been entertaining, even when (especially when?) the games themselves had issues.

• Locked thread