Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral

Drakenel posted:

Really missed the chance to call NOT-Auron a more accurate name; Nauron

Why not Norua?

No wait, that's way to similar to Nora. Nevermind, I said nothing.

I have to admit, I already wasn't really interested in this game enough to want to buy it. Reading this LP though, I feel like I was right to not be interested. I'm already not a big fan of snow areas in games. Also the plot, and a few questionable decisions are enough to make me want it even less.

Being me though, I'll probably get it eventually anyway. Mostly because I tend to do that when I read/watch LPs. If I don't already own said game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
You say it's hard to make a lovely looking scythe. Yet Namco found a way. Some of Zasalamel's scythes look just awful. And I don't just mean the Joke weapon ones.

Edit: I guess I should probably actually say something relevant to the game itself. I don't know how I feel about Reaper joining like this. I guess, even though he had a portrait, I kinda wished they weren't gonna do it. Would have made a nice twist for people who were expecting it to happen. And him joining so late makes it feel even less worth it than it was for Magus. Though I don't know how long these sidequests will be.

While I won't likely ever play this myself, I can at least see why people would enjoy it.

Burger Flipper fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 28, 2016

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It makes sense that This is Setsuna is a short game considering the fact it copies absolutely everything Chrono Trigger does and mucks it up.

Chrono Trigger is only around 20 hours or so, but doesn't feel especially padded.

Absolutely everything, huh?

I must have missed when we went to the future to get a rocket-punching robot who's theme sounds oddly similar to Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up.

And I must have missed when we went back to the time of the dinosaurs and picked up a cavewoman.

I also must have missed in Chrono Trigger when a party member went insane from drinking monster blood and tried to kill the sacrifice.

I am Setsuna does copy a lot of stuff. But it's not everything. Hell, while the battle system is pretty solidly Chrono Trigger, the game copies Final Fantasy X just as much. That's how it seems to me anyway. You even have a douchebag trying to kill you multiple times, before finally dying for good. Then they take that and CT it up, by doing the Magus thing with him.

A few references here and there with the weapons also aren't that big a deal. It's a bit dumb, but really mostly harmless.

And yes, I did compare Dingus to Seymour.

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral

Crowetron posted:

Hey, how the hell does some random old dickhead in a shack know about the super Time Goddess and her clone-daughter?

Maybe he's a Sage. :v:

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
Ok, I get that it's a different world and everything, but I do feel like the "Frog Swordsman" thing was a bit too much of an overstep. Though I did enjoy Id's addition of the "Turnip Swordsman." And I think I see another overstep on it's way, though really just a slight one. If Dingus' Doom Scythe isn't just an obvious reference to Magus I'll be surprised.

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
I've skipped the Snow Chronicles up to this point, honestly. But I've decided to go back and look through them, just for the weapons mostly. I'll eventually read through all of the entries. However, I noticed in Snow Chronicle 2, you referred to Nidr's Guard's Sword as "Endir's huge rear end sword." Minor thing, I know, but figured I'd mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
While I have my issues with the game's plot, this LP was enjoyable. And even though I found your LPs later on, it has been fun reading them. If it weren't for you, I never would have known Nier was a continuation of sorts for Drakengard. So thanks Id, it's been a blast.

• Locked thread