Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

"The Tyee posted:

The fighting was in full swing by the time Alisa Schulman-Janiger arrived on the scene. In the water off Monterey Bay, California, a pod of roughly 10 killer whales was working to isolate a lone grey whale calf from its mother. Blocking their advance, an army of no less than 16 humpback whales was working in shifts to defend the calf and its mother from the attack.
Contests, events & more from Tyee and select partners

Within 45 minutes, the calf was dead, and the mother left the scene soon after. But the battle carried on for at least another seven hours. The humpbacks chased the orcas, thrashing them with their fins and tails, and preventing them from feeding on the dead grey whale.

“It was a really crazy scene to watch,” says Schulman-Janiger, a researcher with the nonprofit California Killer Whale Project. The humpbacks didn’t seem to be acting in defence of themselves, or even of one of their own. In fact, the humpbacks forsook nearby food, sometimes for hours at a time, to thwart the orcas’ efforts to feed on the gray whale.

In a new review study, Schulman-Janiger and her colleagues have gathered numerous accounts of humpback whales acting with seeming altruism to defend members of other species, including whales, seals, sea lions, and even fish, from killer whale attacks.

“We think that what’s going on for them is they just hear killer whales attacking, and they go in and break it up,” says Robert Pitman, who works for the US National Marine Fisheries Service and coauthored the report.

Pitman first noticed this unusual behaviour along the Antarctic Peninsula, south of Argentina and Chile, when humpbacks cut into the middle of an orca attack on a Weddell seal. Pitman says that during this fight, a humpback flipped around and lifted the seal onto its chest in an effort to protect it from the killer whales – a sight that was captured by a BBC film crew that had been on location with the researchers. According to Pitman, the footage shows that the humpback’s protective maneuver was not accidental – at one point the humpback nudged the seal back into safety when it was about to slide off.

“These [humpbacks] are definitely interested in preventing these killer whales from harming these other animals,” Pitman says.

After his Antarctic encounter, Pitman started gathering other similar accounts. Not all humpbacks display this behaviour. Out of 72 encounters reviewed between humpbacks and orcas attacking mammals, Pitman and his colleagues found that 61 involved the orcas preying on species other than humpbacks.

What exactly is motivating humpbacks to intervene on behalf of other marine life is difficult to determine. It could be territorial, but Pitman says that even if the whales are not defending other species deliberately, it still amounts to “inadvertent altruism.”

There’s also a chance that some humpbacks may be reacting to previous trauma, says Schulman-Janiger. Two of the 16 whales she identified as exhibiting interventionist behaviour had the marks of previous attacks by killer whales on their fins. These scars could have come from being attacked when they were calves themselves, or from injuries sustained while defending their offspring.

In watching the attacks, Schulman-Janiger says she sees what looks like emotions on display. The humpback whales “are definitely bothered by what’s going on.”

Pitman says this behaviour could be a remnant of the interspecies conflict that occurred with greater frequency before industrial whaling decimated both populations. “As whales continue to recover, I think we should expect more surprising things like this,” he says.

In all seriousness this is pretty cool imo and I like Humpback Whales, they're like the questing knights of the sea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
the probe was looking for an update on the war between humpback and orca

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

we need an army of whales to protect dad gay and drad bert

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
It doesn't seem to say the more obvious which is from a survival point of view if the humpbacks reduce the feeding of Orcas and starve them off, the Orcas can't prey on the humpbacks own young. Googling 'what is humbpacks natural predator' and Orca comes up as number 1, so uh yeah

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I'd like to hear more about the Contests, events & more from Tyee and select partners.

Thanks!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

:drat:

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i wish we still used whale oil

i mean the UK isnt perfect but I'd much rather support whales than the middle east

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
The Japanese would have protected the baby whale from the orcas.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't care about any of this poo poo op but I want to hear more about the contests, events and more from Tyee and select partners

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
drat that sure is an op!!!

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
i lust for whale death

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i mean dolphins are basically as smart as people right

whats stopping whales

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Obviously the humpbacks are trying to white night other species in exchange for sex.

Humpbacks are goons.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 22, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Airborne Viking posted:

Obviously the humpbacks are trying to white night other species in exchange for sex.

Humpbacks are goons.

It doesn't even sound like they're very good at what they're trying to do

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i'm a real grumpback until i've had my coffee :shobon:

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Airborne Viking posted:

Humpbacks are goons.

I carried your dead calf for miles AND THIS IS THE THANKS I GET!?

Woden
May 6, 2006

Lascivious Sloth posted:

It doesn't seem to say the more obvious which is from a survival point of view if the humpbacks reduce the feeding of Orcas and starve them off, the Orcas can't prey on the humpbacks own young. Googling 'what is humbpacks natural predator' and Orca comes up as number 1, so uh yeah

:same:

Humans did the same poo poo forever and the whole stopping predators from eating your dead helped us immensely.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lol eat poo poo, Orcas.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I never watched Blackfish, but I assume I'd be like "gently caress those whales"

Whale Wars is a pretty good show, the Japanese chop up a bunch of whales for no reason while the hippies cry and a big fat tin pot dictator runs an idiot ship of morons

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Applewhite posted:

lol eat poo poo, Orcas.

same except for instead of poo poo its nothing at all

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i for one welcome our new whale overlords

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Whales as overlords? The useless fucks cant do poo poo except moo in the ocean and get shot with grenade tipped harpoons.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

i'm a real grumpback until i've had my coffee :shobon:

The latest cars sell on a quiet ride. They're made to keep out outside noise. This benefit can hurts us in that it blocks out needed sounds like a siren, a call for help or warning cries. God's love saves & secures us. Some can use this benefit to hurt themselves & feel that going against God's ways won't hurt, being God will still love us & will recover us. Our actions still have consequences that can make life much less enjoyable than it can be if we cooperate w/ God. God's love realized will always move us towards God Rom 6:15 "GRACE"

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Nice to see the new Redwall books are coming along smoothly.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

How can you be the biggest thing on Earth but have no way of fighting back against a much smaller albeit faster animal

Do whales kill things with their tails?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
A goon's favorite whale is a sperm whale.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I thought their favorite was your mom

Well I guess technically your mom is a sperm whale so,

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Page one almost gone and still not a shred of information on additional contests and prizes as well as events from select partners This Thread is really turning into a disappointment voted 2

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

Page one almost gone and still not a shred of information on additional contests and prizes as well as events from select partners This Thread is really turning into a disappointment voted 2

Did you see my yo momma joke?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
orcas are a type of dolphin right? this is just an interspecies conflict for world domination. i think the difference is that dolphins are more violent and rapey.

whales vs dolphins, who do you choose?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Contests, events & more from Tyee and select partners

that motherfuckers!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

liberal western media broadcasts and their egalitarian moralist bullshit have corrupted these once noble animals

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Cetaceans are cool. Whenever people are like "don't kill sharks, our ecosystem will die!!" I'm like nah lmao orcas will just continue their world dominance

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Wouldn't have happens if the whale had a gun

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Cetaceans are cool. Whenever people are like "don't kill sharks, our ecosystem will die!!" I'm like nah lmao orcas will just continue their world dominance

They were studying great white sharks off the Channel Islands in SoCal when a pod of orcas that usually chills out in mexico decided to head farther north. They took a shark and pretty much every shark in the vicinity immediately just said gently caress it and bailed and just stayed in the deep cold water for the rest of the season. Even the sharks know what's up.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

im sorry about your brother op

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Professor Shark posted:

It doesn't even sound like they're very good at what they're trying to do

Airborne Viking posted:

Humpbacks are goons.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Hey gently caress you buddy!

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

My favorite thing about orcas is when they kill their trainers at seaworld and because seaworld doesn't give a gently caress they just keep on sending new trainers in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

no we don't

• Locked thread