Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
C
K
O

I want to be the shiftiest, most manipulative rear end in a top hat possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twitch and spasm
Jul 21, 2010

Diogines posted:

1. What is your name?
Lets be Gregor Mendel. The fact we share the same name as the father of genetics is a coincodence.

2. What did you do during the war?
L. We were a doctor.

3. What bionics do you have, if any?
2: Enhanced Optics - Telescopic. Lets you see things far away. Low power draw.
Sniper God Powers Activate!

5: Enhanced Cognition. x2 Basically a small computer, this allows you to do complex calculations and can store and recall a great deal of data. Low power draw.
Double down on extra intelligence.

Lets see really well and think awesome.

4. What did you do before the war?
P: I was a scientist/engineer. Specifically, we were a genetic engineer! gently caress robotic transhuminism, we saw how that worked out. Biological transhumanism is where its at! Lets make better people! This should come in handy when colonizing a new planet, no matter what.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/xKuQK8R.jpg[[/timg]

We may by coincidence have a striking resemblance to this picture. Maybe.

+1 to this I guess.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
A: Richard Cannaday
K: Strategic Planning
1: Enhanced Optics - EM broadband.
  • This lets you see further into the EM spectrum, infrared, UV, x-ray, etc. This is a low power draw bionic.
12: Electronic Communications Suite.
  • An inbuilt transmitter/receiver that allows you to communicate with a base and with other similarly equipped people. Can be used to jam signals through electronic warfare. High power draw when jamming, moderate power draw when in active transmit mode, low power draw when listening only. Can be turned off.
16: Neural-Vehicular Interlink.
  • A communications port that allows you to control an equipped vehicle directly with your mind. Most, but not all, vehicles come with NVI capabilities. No power draw, it pulls from the vehicle’s onboard power.
S: I was a mechanic.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

1. C

2. K

3. 7, 8, 12

4. Q

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
K; H

5, 12, 19

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1) E: F.C. Pibbs. Just called Pibb's for short.
2) L: Military Logistics. You started your career off as a second lieutenant who was good at figuring out what supplies your unit would need, when they'd be needed, and what'd work as an adequate replacement. You ended the war as an acting Brigadier General in charge of evacuation and refugee camps throughout Alaska and Western Canada.
3) 5, 17, 19
4) About to start a duel masters program in Emergency Management and Social Work

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Abyssal Squid posted:

What is your name?
C: Tabitha Genovese

What did you do during the war?
K: Strategic Planning. Probably doesn't do much to earn the admiration of the grunts, but that's what chain of command is for.

What bionics do you have, if any?
17: Reduced Nutritionary Requirements.
19: Solar Recharging System.

Resources were limited and rationed at best during the war, and logistical chains were frequently disrupted. This combination of bionics ensured that even sustained logistical disruptions wouldn't result in strategic disruptions. AKA Plan Why Don't I Poop?

[No need for a brain computer when you're in an office with access to plenty of much more powerful computers anyway.]

What did you do before the war?
Q: I was an urban planner. The nightmarish complexity of urban planning made deploying forces during the Cyber War seem like child's play in comparison.

Seconding this but also make the case for Dermal Armor or Filtration Lungs because goons are retarded and we need all the help we can get to prevent our inevitable suicide.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Yeah, I think filtration lungs would do us better in more situations than armor. I'm not expecting many gun fights, but I am expecting some toxic atmosphere and poisoning by jealous rivals

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

FaustianQ posted:

Seconding this but also make the case for Dermal Armor or Filtration Lungs because goons make bad decisions and we need all the help we can get to prevent our inevitable suicide.

Good point. :v:

Going with 10: Dermal Armor because it doesn't have a power draw to work at cross purposes to the core combo, even though the filtration lungs would probably make more sense.

Edit: As good an idea as safeguarding against goony derpery is, 12: Electronic Communications Suite makes the most sense as a fallback.

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 25, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Loel posted:

Yeah, I think filtration lungs would do us better in more situations than armor. I'm not expecting many gun fights, but I am expecting some toxic atmosphere and poisoning by jealous rivals

I was going to come up with a witty "but goons would get us killed by wildlife", but then I realized how terribly awful Dermal Armor could backfire in a 127 hour situation, and that's infinitely more likely with Goons. I'm just hoping us taking a lung mod doesn't convince goons 100 pages from now that we also don't need to breathe.

Also no biomechanical kidneys Olothreutes?

Changing my vote to
1. C

2. K

3. 7, 8, 17

4. Q

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Well we could go with bionic arms x2 so we can hold the gate better.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Three important implants stand out to me as uniquely irreplaceable effects. Likewise these are the ones that are the hardest for a new colony to implement.

Enhanced Cognition
Neural-Vehicular Interlink
Reduced Nutritionary Requirements

Everything else can be done with outside gear to some extent. Seriously half are just partially replacing a decent enviro suit.

K
Q

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 24, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Well we could go with bionic arms x2 so we can hold the gate better.

Why stop there? Go for Bionic Arms x3.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

FaustianQ posted:

Why stop there? Go for Bionic Arms x3.

.... can we be a mechano-spider.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Awesome, this looks pretty fun!

J: Electronic Warfare. I helped figure out how the robots communicate, and then aided in jamming their communication. This meant the robots couldn’t fight as a single cohesive unit and made them much less effective. I know a lot about EM signals and jamming, but didn’t do much fighting.

4: Enhanced Chemical Sensors. This bionic allows you to detect airborne chemical markers. Low power draw.
5: Enhanced Cognition. Basically a small computer, this allows you to do complex calculations and can store and recall a great deal of data. Low power draw.

P

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

A
K
P

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

B: Piter Uvarov

H: Vehicle driver/gunner. I rode in one of the many war machines that humanity built. I’m familiar with most of the military vehicles and how to use a neural interface to control them. I worked closely with the other occupants as a team and also learned to help maintain my ride.

12: Electronic Communications Suite.
16: Neural-Vehicular Interlink.
19: Solar Recharging System.

P: I was a scientist/engineer.

My name Piter. I am truck. I am drive truck too, but I am being truck. I talk to base and I talk to truck and we go. When go, sometimes we need to make stop. At stop there is no outlet so I make sun outlet. You need to of going far or fast, ask Piter. I can fix truck because you see, I am truck to. Talk in head to base, talk to truck. IF ANYONE ELSE, ESPECIALLY THAT SUKA IVAN SAY HE CAN MAKE TRUCK BETTER I WILL MAKE TRUCK MAKE HIM FLAT! I am best at truck, and airship, sometimes boat. Never motorcycle. We do not talk of motorcycle.

Vote me, Piter. Together we go on planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

C, K, 5, 7, 19, P

I think I did this right

Darkwind3
Feb 18, 2013
1. C but otherwise,

Diogines posted:

2. What did you do during the war?
L. We were a doctor.

3. What bionics do you have, if any?
Sniper God Powers Activate!

5: Enhanced Cognition. x2 Basically a small computer, this allows you to do complex calculations and can store and recall a great deal of data. Low power draw.
Double down on extra intelligence.

Lets see really well and think awesome.

P: I was a scientist/engineer. Specifically, we were a genetic engineer! gently caress robotic transhuminism, we saw how that worked out. Biological transhumanism is where its at! Lets make better people! This should come in handy when colonizing a new planet, no matter what.
I am definitely a fan of this. Let's modify E. coli (and/or people) for a better tomorrow!

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
What is your name?

I: Special Ops. I was one of the most daring soldiers. Often working alone I sabotaged robot installations and completed other high value missions. I have excellent hand to hand and small arms skills and know one or two other neat things, like demolitions or hacking.

What bionics do you have, if any?] (Choose up to three, each bionic draws power from your internal battery. The higher the power draw the less time you can operate them without recharging. Not all bionics are active 100% of the time.)

5: Enhanced Cognition. Basically a small computer, this allows you to do complex calculations and can store and recall a great deal of data. Low power draw.
17: Reduced Nutritionary Requirements. Use battery power instead of food to keep going. Moderate power draw.
19: Solar Recharging System. Built in solar absorbers help to power your bionics while you are exposed to electromagnetic radiation. Efficacy depends on the intensity of the radiation. At peak power it will provide enough power for a moderate power draw bionic.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

HiHo ChiRho posted:

My name is Diogenes.

With my cadre of bionic capybaras I am a K. Strategic planner utilizing 5: Enhanced Cognition. x2 to help planning the new world we will call Ur. Before the war I was a agent for the IRS.

This entry doesn't get enough love. Although it seems like a foregone conclusion I vote #Capybara and encourage others to do the same.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

2) K
3) 18 - 4 - 5
4) T - Kindergarten teacher

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Puppies are dicks posted:

This entry doesn't get enough love. Although it seems like a foregone conclusion I vote #Capybara and encourage others to do the same.

Yeah Olo, in the grim future of cyborg/robot warfare did they every go around and start enhancing animals, like a bear or a dolphin. Johnny Mnemonic did it.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Puppies are dicks posted:

What the hell. I'll toss in a vote for #capybara as well. Why not.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
1. E Buck Rogers

2. L: Doctor

3. Bionics:
5: Enhanced Cognition.
10: Dermal Armor
12: Electronic Communications Suite

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Arkanomen posted:

My name Piter. I am truck. I am drive truck too, but I am being truck. I talk to base and I talk to truck and we go. When go, sometimes we need to make stop. At stop there is no outlet so I make sun outlet. You need to of going far or fast, ask Piter. I can fix truck because you see, I am truck to. Talk in head to base, talk to truck. IF ANYONE ELSE, ESPECIALLY THAT SUKA IVAN SAY HE CAN MAKE TRUCK BETTER I WILL MAKE TRUCK MAKE HIM FLAT! I am best at truck, and airship, sometimes boat. Never motorcycle. We do not talk of motorcycle.

Vote me, Piter. Together we go on planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

OK, I mean, I'm not voting for this, but it is pretty goddamn glorious.

Balder
Apr 3, 2011
DK,1,3,5,R

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Wentley posted:

What is your name?

I: Special Ops. I was one of the most daring soldiers. Often working alone I sabotaged robot installations and completed other high value missions. I have excellent hand to hand and small arms skills and know one or two other neat things, like demolitions or hacking.

What bionics do you have, if any?] (Choose up to three, each bionic draws power from your internal battery. The higher the power draw the less time you can operate them without recharging. Not all bionics are active 100% of the time.)

17: Reduced Nutritionary Requirements. Use battery power instead of food to keep going. Moderate power draw.
19: Solar Recharging System. Built in solar absorbers help to power your bionics while you are exposed to electromagnetic radiation. Efficacy depends on the intensity of the radiation. At peak power it will provide enough power for a moderate power draw bionic.

+1

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
E. Adam Armstrong. Having a name that came alphabetically first was a minor advantage in getting training before the war.

I. Thanks to my pre-war skills, I saw a lot of action in LEO and orbital insertions. Hell of a tough job, but I was up to it.

1, 10, 12. Being able to communicate without a radio was a major asset when things want sideways - as they often did on ops. Enhanced optics were a no-brainer, too. As for the dermal armour... well, any bit of shielding against cosmic rays is a good thing.

T. Ironically, before the war, I was probably one of Earth's few astronauts, and one of the fewer on the ground. Not really a surprise, then, that I'm being considered to lead this mission. It's what I trained for, after all.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 24, 2016

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Canuck-Errant posted:

E. Adam Armstrong. Having a name that came alphabetically first was a minor advantage in getting training before the war.

I. Thanks to my pre-war skills, I saw a lot of action in LEO and orbital insertions. Hell of a tough job, but I was up to it.

1, 10, 12. Being able to communicate without a radio was a major asset when things want sideways - as they often did on ops. Enhanced optics were a no-brainer, too. As for the dermal armour... well, any bit of shielding against cosmic rays is a good thing.

T. Ironically, before the war, I was probably one of Earth's few astronauts, and one of the fewer on the ground. Not really a surprise, then, that I'm being considered to lead this mission. It's what I trained for, after all.

This

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Am I wrong in thinking the Cognitive Enhancement is basically a smartphone that you can't lose or drop? And has better input than a touchscreen. Handy in intense situations but only a very minor benefit when you've already got access to external computers, or hell, even pencil and paper.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Having a mental hookup to a database storage available 24/7 seems like it would be a tremendous advantage to every task involving problem solving or analyzing information.

I remember a time before the internet was readily available(or very good). If I wanted to know something, I had to pick up a drat encyclopedia or go to a library and the information available was limited. How much drat easier is it for me to learn well, anything now? The most obscure facts I can just look up. Learning has become so much easier and quicker.

Multiply that effect a hundred fold since you can now look it up at the speed of thought.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Whatever we get, at least include the solar charger. If everything goes down, we don't want to run out of battery and be carrying around a bunch of dead equipment in an emergency situation. We we going into the unknown and self-reliance is the dividing line between life and death when the poo poo hits the fan.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
A, K, 5+12+19, Q Let's be someone qualified to be in charge.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Im picturing the enhancer as a) giving us more dialogue options, and
b) giving Olo a method to ask us 'are you sure you want to do that?'

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CKT (forensic accountant)
5 12 19

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Several folks have voted for doubling up on the cognitive enhancement.

This is probably doable, it will increase your processing power and allow you to run more tasks in parallel. Storage space probably won't increase much, but it is already substantial.

It's definitely more powerful than simply having a smartphone. It will allow you, among other things, to perform a bunch of physics calculations, look up various bits of data, recall maps of the general area, and also work on stuff like probability analysis through either predictive methods like Runge-Kutta or stochastic methods like monte carlo, depending on what data you have available. It will probably be able to run augmented reality stuff for you as well, projecting data onto your vision as necessary.

I'm going out to dinner, but I plan to close voting and do an update later tonight.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

plan Dio, great effort post/vote

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Olothreutes posted:

It's definitely more powerful than simply having a smartphone. It will allow you, among other things, to perform a bunch of physics calculations,

Wolfram Alpha.

quote:

look up various bits of data

Wikipedia.

quote:

recall maps of the general area

Google Maps.

quote:

and also work on stuff like probability analysis through either predictive methods like Runge-Kutta or stochastic methods like monte carlo, depending on what data you have available.

Okay, I'll grant that as an advantage over a 2016 smartphone, just on account of raw processing power.

quote:

It will probably be able to run augmented reality stuff for you as well, projecting data onto your vision as necessary.

Pokémon Go. :v:

I'm not trying to slag the thing by comparing it to a smartphone, since having a direct neural interface does grant a lot of advantages compared to a manual interface. Rather, I think people take for granted how much cognitive enhancement we already get from tools in our everyday lives and ought to consider the benefit of getting the tool implanted versus the risk of not having the tool around. For instance, sure bionic legs would be awesome, but how often would they be better than just having a ladder or a motorcycle? Bionic telescope eyes versus a pair of binoculars? Bionic lungs versus wearing a respirator?

The Cognitive Enhancement implant makes sense for Spec Ops or an NCO, someone who needs to take in a lot of information and make decisions in the field, with their hands occupied or maybe shot off, but someone in an office or a tank or a colony ship probably has access to better computers. Access to ladders and binoculars and spare hands, at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Abyssal Squid posted:

I'm not trying to slag the thing by comparing it to a smartphone, since having a direct neural interface does grant a lot of advantages compared to a manual interface. Rather, I think people take for granted how much cognitive enhancement we already get from tools in our everyday lives and ought to consider the benefit of getting the tool implanted versus the risk of not having the tool around.

When was the last time your phone's battery ran out?

• Locked thread