Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ACF

We are Captain Paranoia!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So I think we have a saboteur on board. He rigged the cryo pods to make him appear asleep (hence the glitch) and then weakened the magnetic fields surrounding the fusion reactor to fail over time, ultimately posing a major threat to anyone on board with bionic implants.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were a purist on board who would rather not start a colony of "half-robots".

Is there anyone on board who lacks bionics that would be affected by the field?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

During the war, were there any robots that closely approximated a human physically? Or are synthetics beyond current tech?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

We should space the chief of security during the next update cycle anyway, just to be safe.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BC per Diog

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Diogines posted:

I meant we should act as if we were.

We are mankind's last hope!

Ooooor maybe they just rounded up a bunch of paranoid undesirables and shipped them off after the war so that they could enjoy Earth in peace and quiet.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Does the cryo system have backup power? What's the risk of anyone waking up as a result of cutting power?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Butt Discussin posted:

C E , test if the reset works. Take the time to research the effects of cryo, if we have any tools to do so. As a genetic engineer we should have general biological research skill.

I'm sure we have some level of simulation ability. If we simulate a few thousand or more freeze-thaw cycles, maybe we can observe an exaggerated effect.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Do we have any plans in case the planet is...already occupied?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Abyssal Squid posted:

What did you think the gun arms were for?

Fashion.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What's the worst that could happen?

I imagine someone will thaw out of cryo one too many times and that splitting headache will turn into a warp incursion.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Outrail posted:

What's the plan when we find out the planet is inhabited by an early stage intelligent lifeform? Enslavement or straight up genocide?

It depends on whether or not they happen to be bacon-flavored.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Canuck-Errant posted:

Not gonna speculate on bacon flavoured Quarians, that already got one forum axed.

What?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

My face involuntarily puckered as if I were eating a lemon, and it seems to be frozen in that state for the moment.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Poor Olo is going to come back from his wedding to find his thread full of alien sweat and elf dicks.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RandomPauI posted:

A.
F. Drink as much sugary fluids as is safely allowed before going into cryo. And see about getting an IV set up shortly after you leave cryo. A bag full fluids and electrolytes and nausea meds and pain meds and other medical stuff so when you get up you can get that into your system immediately.

Edit: And see if we can have some at the ready for when our officers wake up in case a few of them don't take well to being woken up. Use the percentage of important people who have a lot of trouble with the wakeup as a baseline for how many colonists will have problems too.

Edit 2: Thinking on it some more, we could give a computer the stats of the people waking up and have a IV cocktail at the ready to meet a baseline level of pain and nausea relief along with all that other good stuff. X can shut off pain receptors so he won't need morphine. Y is sensitive to morphine so give them less. And if the person winds up needing higher levels of meds the computer can sign off on how much more would be safe to give

This seems like a solid plan.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Outrail posted:

This seems solid.

The 'brain damaged people with increased aggression in space' issue seems like this might go to the space horror genre.

Plot twist: The damage increase is exponential in those who don't come out of cryo every few years.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Outrail posted:

F, Geologic activity.

Bad atmosphere = teraforming
Intelligent life = diplomatic actions
Stellar bodies and solar flares = adapt to the situation

Basically, everything else is livable aside from extreme events outside our influence, but if the planet is a giant mess of volcanic extrusions and unstable platforms it is 100% uninhabitable. Thus if it is found that the plant is geologically young and poo poo we should think about other planets in the system or other planets elsewhere. Or just go space crazy and eat everyone.

Intelligent life seems unlikely because it's a very young planet. Any civilization would probably have come via starship.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

vorebane posted:

There's already lava under the floor.... it's called magma and it's coming to get you.

Why would our spaceship have magma under the floor?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Olothreutes posted:

You head back to the bridge and find Bedia. You let her know that the pod doesn't work, it's a nonfunctional unit unless it's hooked to a controller. And it's still open.

They didn't bother to preserve the body? Is this unusual behavior for people in our time? I suppose they were selected for their emotional... "hardiness", so their flippant treatment toward his corpse isn't too surprising.

Have you considered modeling for large bodies that might be obscured by the other planets at all times? We've been approaching this system from one angle, so it seems possible that something could be obscured.

Alternatively:
Cloaking device
Natural anti-grav field
Space magic

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

G

1. CEADB Most to least

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Captain Mediocre posted:

How soon can we eject our doctor into space? He looks horrifying.

I think we're well on our way to transhumanism.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lemniscate Blue posted:

In Greek mythology, Boreas was the god of the North Wind, but Greco-Roman poo poo is played out.

In Iroquois belief, the North Wind is a bear spirit named Yaogah. The four winds were tamed by Gaoh, who spoke to Yaogah:

"O Bear, you are strong," said Gaoh. "You can freeze the waters with your cold breath. In your broad arms you can carry the mad tempest, and clasp the whole Earth when I bid you destroy. Therefore you shall live in the North, and watch my herd of Winter Winds when I let them loose upon the Earth. You shall be the North Wind. Enter your house."

So I vote to call the planet Yaogah, and our first settlement Gaoh, because by god we are going to tame this bear of a planet.

I like this

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Olothreutes posted:

Because of the nature of the damage, there really isn't anything you can do to treat the majority of it. You can provide them with some comfort care, and dope them with some crazy good antibiotics to help prevent secondary infections, but the majority of the damage is already done.

Is there any way we could perform a "slow thaw" of sorts to perhaps deliver drugs early enough to mitigate the downstream effects? Also, do we have any research on how radiation impacts people in cryo specifically? I imagine freezing at the cellular level might change the effects of particle bombardment.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mr. Nemo posted:

Ask the Watchers for input before deciding on a name.

They'd probably prefer to stick with the initial designator given their personality types.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

the_steve posted:

That's what I'm curious about.
On the one hand, they dedicated/sacrificed 20 some years to being the only 3 people around (barring check-ins from the captain) in the vast emptiness of space. Even if they were psychologically vetted for it, that's got to be a hell of a service.
On the other hand, they're still very capable. Pretty sure Bedia proved herself to be a hell of a researcher, she definitely helped us figure out the cryosickness, and we are trying to colonize an ice ball with a hot cinnamon core.

Ok, sure, they're probably not necessarily the type to sit around the campfire and tell ghost stories with us, but they're still useful resources, who have also probably earned the right to hang back and let everyone else do the work for awhile.

We could just ask them what they prefer to do.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I don't like the name. It sounds like a hemorrhoid cream.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Not Alex posted:

My favorite is that we just asked someone's opinion and they gave a heart-felt tribute to their dead friend. We go silent for a long moment then perk up "Nah, I'm gonna call it Hoo Boy."

"Captain, I fear the damage from repeated cryosleep cycles may be far greater than we initially suspected."

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Xarbala posted:

Tabitha thoughtfully held her chin between her finger and her thumb. "Well, I understand wanting to name the planet after your friend, Cedric, but... perhaps a more restful memorial would be appropriate."

"I... understand." His face was still but the disappointment was clear in his voice.

"Not that I would want to diminish Otto's memory, of course, but this will be a rather lasting decision and it wouldn't do not to have all the cards on the table." Tabitha added with a note of reassurance.

"Actually..." Bedia spoke up, with a touch of uncertainty. "I do recall that Otto did have an idea of his own. It was clear he meant it as a joke but in my opinion it bears mentioning." Cedric and Ann were confused for the briefest moment, until a spark of realization struck them like lightning.

"Bedia, wait--" Cedric interjected, to little avail.

"During one of our New Year's celebrations." She paused as Tabitha smirked and cocked a single eyebrow. "Necessary recreation. And we thought it would be helpful to keep track of our subjective time according to the Earth standard orbital period."

"Oh, I'm not taking issue with it, I'm just pleasantly surprised."

Ann started chuckling to herself, unprompted. "Go on, Bedia, tell the Captain. This oughta be good."

"Otto did mention he thought the name Tyson-664d was a bit unwieldy. And I quote, 'Hoo boy! That's a heck of a name. May as well just name the planet Hooboy!' And then we gave a toast to 'Planet Hooboy.' I seem to recall Ann was amused with the idea." Bedia glanced over to her colleagues, and met their mixed reactions with a completely deadpan, straight face. "Every year after that, Otto would lead a toast to Planet Hooboy, or occasionally Planet Boyhowdy, and one time, Planet Daggummit We're Not Playing Beer Pong and That's That."

"Bedia, it was just a running joke. And it's a terrible name." Cedric said, and turned to Captain Genovese with as much of a stone-dead exterior as he could manage. "Captain, I assure you, it was just a joke."

"And that's why you were usually the Designated Driver." Ann laughed.

A grin slowly crept up Tabitha's face as she continued to consider the suggestion. "Hoo boy. Hooboy." She started chuckling, and soon Ann's chuckling gave way to genuine laughter, which soon found its way across the entire room, save Cedric. "I like it. Let's get the rest of the crew's thoughts on the matter." It took only a moment to establish a shipwide conference call and after a quick briefing of the crew the topic was soon up for debate.

"So then. Hooboy. Any thoughts?"

"Hooboy is acceptable." Said Vladimir.

"Are you sure?" Dr. Nilssen's voice was incredulous. "Wouldn't you prefer, say, Terra Nova? This is a new world, and as far as we know Earth's best hope."

Tubal's voice added, "Assuming the other colony ships reach their destinations we're liable to have a handful of Terra Novas and New Earths. How about Jotunheim? You mentioned the planet was icy."

"That's a bit on the nose." Replied Nilssen.

Asta offered no judgement in her tone when she asked, "Is that 'Hooboy' in one word or two?"

"Preferably one, though the use of two words will probably be acceptable in casual use." Said Bedia, matter-of-factly.

"Can we workshop this a bit? How about... Hubouy?" Thomas asked, to not a single response.

"Bear in mind that the appropriate demonym for the colonists will be determined by the name of the planet. This won't be relevant until contact can be established with other colonies, possibly centuries from now, but it is worth keeping in mind." Bedia added.

"And if we go with Hooboy, we'll be the Hoomans." Ann laughed.

There was a deafening silence. The other members of the crew murmured amongst themselves and Tabitha could clearly hear the voice of Dr. Pagnotto, who was otherwise above the nonsense unfolding around her, start to crack into muffled laughter. Thomas was busy trying to wrangle his way out of being a part of first-generation Hoomanity, while Cedric sat to the side, resigned to the events unfolding around him. Tabitha looked around, noted the other wardens' growing amusement, and absent-mindedly grabbed a pouch drink from a nearby table while the voices over the call slowly gave way from a disordered murmur to raucous laughter. And then a return to that deafening silence, from which Vladimir's voice rang clear and true.

"Hooboy is acceptable."

Yes this is canon now, sorry OP.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Olothreutes posted:

Voting is closed. I'm working (slowly) on the update.

Since you can no longer vote in this thread, I encourage all my US readers to go vote tomorrow! Unless you early voted, in which case good job! It's your civic duty to make sure that we end up with a reasonable president, the most qualified candidate in the modern era, instead of a can of orange Fanta in a bad wig.

Man ease off the insults a little. Fanta isn't that terrible.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I think we should check out Site C in more detail.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Canuck-Errant posted:

The wind and cold still froze my drat eyeballs. Maybe if I'd been wearing plastic-framed glasses...

I'm pretty sure that's goggle weather.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

vorebane posted:

Sadly the only super power you can get from radiation is cancer. :(

Hey, (technical) immortality is a nice perk!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Olothreutes posted:

Every Hoo' down in Hooville like Christmas a lot,
But Silvia, who lived in her office, did not!
Silvia hated Christmas, the whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why, no one quite knows the reason.
It could be her head wasn't screwed on just right.
It could be, perhaps, she was just too uptight.
But I think that the most likely reason of all,
May have been that her heart was two sizes too small.

Whatever the reason, her heart or her shoes,
She stood there on Christmas eve, hating the Hoos.
Staring across from her office with a sour, frumpy frown,
At the warm lighted mess hall across and a bit down.
For she knew every Hoo down in Hooville right beneath,
Was busy now, hanging up some makeshift wreath.
"And they're hanging their stockings!" She snarled with a sneer,
"Tomorrow is Christmas! It's practically here!"

Then she growled, with her fingers tapping apace,
"I must find a way to stop this huge Christmas waste!"
For tomorrow she knew, all the Hoomans would play,
They'd wake bright and early. They'd drop a whole day!
And then! Oh, the noise. Oh, the noise!
Noise. Noise! Noise!
That's one thing she hated! The NOISE!
Noise. Noise! Noise!

Then all the Hoomans, all of the crew, would sit down to a feast.
They wouldn't care about rations, not even in the least!
They would feast on Hoo carbs, and and even Hoo steaks!
Which was something that gave Silvia a case of the shakes.
And THEN they'd do something she liked least of all!
Every crew down in Hooville, the tall and the small,
Would stand close together, with Christmas bells ringing.
They'd stand hand-in-hand. And the crew would start singing!

And the more Silvia thought of this Hoo Christmas thing,
The more that she thought, "I must stop this this whole thing!"
"Why, we've a huge stellar expanse with these great drives!
There's no reason to keep this holiday alive."
Then she got an idea! An awful idea!
Sivia got a wonderful, awful idea!
"I know just what to do!" Silvia laughed in her throat.
And she dug through her closed for a fitting lab coat.

"This is stop number one," Grinch Silvia hissed,
And she crept in the darkness, easy to miss.
She slithered and slunk, with a smile most unpleasant
Around the whole room, and she took every present!
Then she slunk to the fridge. She took the crew's feast!
She took the Hoo-carbs, She took the roast beast!
She cleaned out the fridge as quick as a flash
Why, that Silvia was acting a bit brash.

The crew invited her, despite her actions so rude,
To participate in their party, their great festive mood.
And Silvia, with her feet so cold she thought there was snow
Stood puzzling and puzzling, "How could it be so?"
Even with her objections to this whole affair,
The rest of the crew seemed not to care?
"Maybe Christmas," she thought, "doesn't come from a store."
"Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."

"A tradition lives on, from our old home planet."
"Come on Silvia, take your 'tude and just stuff it!"
A brazen cry from across the mess hall,
The other crew was smiling one and all.
And what happened then? Well, on Hooboy they say,
That Silvia's small heart grew three sizes that day!
And the minute her heart didn't feel quite so small
She did indeed join in with them all!

Merry Christmas, and a happy holiday season to all of you :)

This was lovely. The Hoo puns make me chuckle.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Hello friends!

The faithful have not forgotten those stranded on Hooboy. I send this message as a reminder of our commitment to the colony's success.

Looking forward to hearing back soon.

It's too bad they won't get this message for a very long time. :(

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is our colony dead?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Olo has been working furiously to finish up a dissertation. I'm sure he'll get back to it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Methane trapped under the ice? Can we ask our engineers/scientists about the possibility of bombarding the ice with a bunch of 'small' meteors, in an effort to release the gas? If done correctly and if we have large enough quantities released it would warm the planet up a bit!

Encourage work on this.

• Locked thread