Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Awesome, this looks pretty fun!

C: Tabitha Genovese

J: Electronic Warfare. I helped figure out how the robots communicate, and then aided in jamming their communication. This meant the robots couldn’t fight as a single cohesive unit and made them much less effective. I know a lot about EM signals and jamming, but didn’t do much fighting.

2: Enhanced Optics - Telescopic. Lets you see things far away. Low power draw.
4: Enhanced Chemical Sensors. This bionic allows you to detect airborne chemical markers. Low power draw.
5: Enhanced Cognition. Basically a small computer, this allows you to do complex calculations and can store and recall a great deal of data. Low power draw.

P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

My name Piter. I am truck. I am drive truck too, but I am being truck. I talk to base and I talk to truck and we go. When go, sometimes we need to make stop. At stop there is no outlet so I make sun outlet. You need to of going far or fast, ask Piter. I can fix truck because you see, I am truck to. Talk in head to base, talk to truck. IF ANYONE ELSE, ESPECIALLY THAT SUKA IVAN SAY HE CAN MAKE TRUCK BETTER I WILL MAKE TRUCK MAKE HIM FLAT! I am best at truck, and airship, sometimes boat. Never motorcycle. We do not talk of motorcycle.

Vote me, Piter. Together we go on planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

OK, I mean, I'm not voting for this, but it is pretty goddamn glorious.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

ACF + get some security awake to check all the pods with us.

The confluence of little things going wrong all at once is enough to be a little paranoid about in my view, especially given we are the last hope of humanity.

+1 to asking if freezing/unfreezing has some kind of limit.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

FoxTerrier posted:

Yeah, I agree.

I also want to a take a proper look in on the 7 year old, to be more than "pretty sure" they're OK.We can't be sure how this stuff affects children either, so it can't hurt to take the time to take a more proper check.

Agreeing with plan Diog and this. I'm not interpreting this as waking her up, just crawling around on top of the pod or whatever so we have visual confirmation she's in good shape.

Ah I'm too late to vote I think. Nonetheless, it's been a fun read so far!

edit: two trios, Vlad with two redshirts, and us, Bedia with whoever else.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 27, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Slaan posted:

What, exactly, are we even trying to look for? The panel on the bridge being busted was to a cord being wired improperly. There is no saboteur. There are no cryopods in danger. There are no space alien/robots lurking in the depths.

Hey cylon, we wouldn't have gotten this choice if there wasn't a wrong answer. :colbert:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

cat_herder posted:

Acting like scared children is certain to damage the morale of our crew. And if you don't think the currently awake will tell stories about this to those who are sleeping when they wake up, I have a bridge to sell you.

Split up, do a fast sweep of the cryopods, and go back to bed.

I'll take that bridge, I can command a ship from it! :downs: I'm mostly not feeling very paranoid, it looks like the things that broke are entirely innocuous, but I'm leaving my vote where it is. Enough rides on it that it's worth being careful.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

A, waking no one who's already been woken, wake someone with detailed knowledge on cryo, get the story about the breakup and swap out Cedric and Bedia for whoever has decent enough suitability for being a warden, if the rift has any violence in its history. Leave as much notes as we can think of, get Vlad to take the next wake up check. We will alternate with Vlad on the check up.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

You can make a machine out of diamagnetic materials, it's entirely plausible and I'm kind of confused why that hasn't come up. Did the machines utterly lack in creativity in dealing with a standard steel war machines weaknesses? Do the machines even use silicon circuitry? Did they have no infiltrator models? Why aren't human bionics built using more natural and safer materials?

I'm not sure ludditism would be a thing, since the war was only won with technology and rejecting it was/is tantamount to suicide. You'd get human supremacists though, people who champion being all natural and poo poo on hanzers and would likely put a bullet in our brain for it being half computer.

Olo has said there were never any reports of infiltrators, flesh mimicking or otherwise, I think. Which, even if you're being paranoid, rather rules out that they ever had them, since if they only started using infiltrators once they were good enough to never be discovered, then humanity should have been doomed in any case. Why they never used infiltrators is as much a mystery as why they sought to destroy humanity. But, since I am paranoid, I'll note that 'they could have beat us if they had good enough infiltrators for us to never notice them' doesn't apply if destroying us was never the goal in the first place. :tinfoil:

edit:

Olothreutes posted:

You are not aware of any cylons, the robots seemed to think the human form was weak and inefficient and over the course of the war became increasingly less human shaped. You are certain that they have been defeated. However the Doctor is missing, presumed to have fled into deep space after his creations went awry. His journal entries are disjointed and several leading psychologists believe he went insane, he talked of needing a tabula rasa, a blank slate on which to begin anew. It is possible, although rather unlikely, that he is still alive in deep space, his madness progressing and his robot warriors amassing an army to return to earth with his answer to whatever grand problem he thought he faced.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 2, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

:ohdear: Wake Tubal, head engineer, tell him to avoid waking already woken engineers though, as well as a last ditch effort to wake someone medical to take a look at Tabby. Ask Bedia specifically if the break up was violent.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

A, after making sure the batteries of the cyropods are topped up.

I'd say no to waking up security, though I'm sure Vlad can take it, there's no need to stress out our best badass for no reason.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

:woop: We gonna colonize a planet!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

C, G How much do we have in the way of food supplies? I doubt one extra guy staying up will put much of a dent in it, but I'd like to know what kind of leeway we've got.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 13, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

The wardens keep themselves entertained some how, we could play whatever massively simultaenous card game two of the wardens had going.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Officers, Medical, Security, Engineering, Science, and then Colonists.

Have a great wedding! Will you be posting during the honeymoon??

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

C, E

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Wait a sec, this planet is 1.6 larger in volume, 3 times the mass and only 1.1 times the gravity? I feel like something is off in the math.

E Let's spend our time on the hardest thing to see I think.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Ok I am soothed by math that I scarcely understand. It's still a bit crazy to me that 60% more radius can counteract 3 times the mass but hey, our npc and a poster says it'll be cool. Here's to not being flat!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Physics, man. It's a trip. I'm looking forward to Tabby setting foot on our new home!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Outrail posted:

Switching to E

I wanted to argue a different point but it's not that defendable.

But if we end up with a the floor is lava situation um going to blame you, somehow.

There's already lava under the floor.... it's called magma and it's coming to get you.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Hmm, some tough decisions.

E, D, H

Name the place New Arctic.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

the_steve posted:

That's what I'm curious about.
On the one hand, they dedicated/sacrificed 20 some years to being the only 3 people around (barring check-ins from the captain) in the vast emptiness of space. Even if they were psychologically vetted for it, that's got to be a hell of a service.
On the other hand, they're still very capable. Pretty sure Bedia proved herself to be a hell of a researcher, she definitely helped us figure out the cryosickness, and we are trying to colonize an ice ball with a hot cinnamon core.

Ok, sure, they're probably not necessarily the type to sit around the campfire and tell ghost stories with us, but they're still useful resources, who have also probably earned the right to hang back and let everyone else do the work for awhile.

I believe Olo has said something to the effect of lifespans being quite a bit longer now, so 20 years mostly alone is much less of a sacrifice than it would be for us. Also that they would be helping out with colonization.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Changing my vote of New Arctic to Hoo Boy

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I can't decide whether Hooboy being us perking up after saying no to Omaissen (which we should still use), Hooboy being an outright accident, or it being Otto's idea is best. Somehow, all three have to be true.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Olothreutes posted:

:ughh:

Certainly seems like it's going to be going that way anyhow. I'm not going to bother to write the stream of disapproval that would be coming from Silvia, I will assume she was muted on the call.

I need to hear all of Silvia's complaints on the matter, actually.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I assure you I will be :f5:ing both the US election and this thread until at least friday. I'm just glad it looks like you're not, in fact, going to elect a fuzzy headed creamsicle with baby hands.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Outrail posted:

Right, so -40C weather and the floor is Lava.

Anyone else okay with not even bothering with landfall and becoming a race of extra-terrestrials?

There's a case to be made. I think we want a rotating shift system between the surface, the ship, and the extensive space platform up at the top of that space elevator I'm going to be voting for.

But yah there's a case to be made.

(the pics look awesome)

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Canuck-Errant posted:

Personally, I think we should wake up anyone specialized in bioengineering, so we can have genegineered tibetan mastiffs as companion / working animals once we reach the surface.

Also probably a good idea to shake out some geologists and engineers once we have one or several sites selected.

That said, I don't suppose there were any passes done with a magnetic / gravity survey satellite? Knowing if there were few or many possible deposits of metals detected might sway selection of a landing site.

+1 to all of this

I would also like more information about the stellar radiation danger at each site. How many sieverts are we talking about? I recognize part of the problem is we're just super vulnerable to radiation bursts from the sun.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 24, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

pykrete is ice and wood shavings, I think? Do we have a forest currently growing on board? Because I don't like our chances of finding a forest on Hooboy.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Canuck-Errant posted:

Central SK. It was worse when I was living in Manitoba, though; here at least it's more of a dry cold, so it's just the needle-cold wind finding the gaps in your clothes, but there it was a wet cold that seeped into your bones. Also the lakes seemed to make for even more intense wind and I think my eyeballs froze a little last winter.

voting for mass implantation of heating elements for everyone's eyes.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I think Hooboy would be a good fit for him

voting to send Canuck Errant to Hooboy

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Sadly the only super power you can get from radiation is cancer. :(

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

You're stuck with steroids and crap kid.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Olothreutes posted:

A toast they all shared, flying through space,
All that was left of the great human race.

You take that back, you said there were other colony ships!

Have a great Christmas!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Figuring out how many muons are floating around should be a high priority then. How possible would it be to apply the ships shields to a colony? I'm sure personal radiation shields are impossible. We should also wake a stellar scientist if we can and get them crunching on what we can expect from this jackass of a star. I'd expect any place on the planet is going to be equally vulnerable to the storms so shielding for everything we got is a necessity regardless of where we land.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

We'd still need some 'our ship' scale shielding even out there I think. I haven't read what kind of refueling or infrastructure maintaining or expanding our energy shields take, so I would like to know about that.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Can the probes tell us what kind of reaction the muons are having with their shields?

Do we have anyone awake who can tell us about the viability of a asteroid belt based settlement?

What does it take to build more energy shields? How impossible would personal shields be?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

How much radiation is getting through the shields of the probes though?

And, from before, what does it take to build more energy shields? How impossible would personal shields be?

I guess you may be implying very impossible to build more shields, though.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Even the weaker storms are probably going to be enough to kill anyone out in the open.

Loel posted:

Option 1, big solar mirrors to melt ice, thicken atmosphere, greenhouse effect.

How feasible is option 1?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

How easy will it be to refuel and maintain the settlement shields? How long would a 'tank' last?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

That's good news about the shields, though we should confirm that the muons are covered, maybe that already got brought up.

How feasible would it be to build a wearable one use short duration energy shield? Trusting we're all under the dome when we need to be could be tragic.

• Locked thread