Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I can't believe you idiots named a planet "hooboy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
nah it might get turned around really well, dump those methane sinks, release the lichen spores

although if large scale terraforming does happen it will have been somewhat dumb to build a rail system when the ground will be melting and shifting for a few hundred years or w/e

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
eh for like a week tops

I would be interested in seeing if there's a place on the surface, near the volcanic zone where it stays warm, where we could just sprinkle some mold or whatever and see if it can grow even in the radiation. If there are black molds that can photosynthesize gamma rays in the chernobyl core in rl right now, we should be able to get a basic biosphere started

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
When you first see the sun rise thru the rear end mosphere you'll understand it was all worth it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
ever since I saw this thread "hooboy" has been creeping into my day to day vocabulary

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
last night I had a dream that Hooboy was real, and it was several decades or maybe +100y past where the thread is, and we built up a couple cities and had a robust space economy, and even a super basic ecosystem going on the planet itself.

Then we got a message from nearby but outside the solar system.

What happened is one of the other arks somehow wrecked up its heading extremely bad early on, but they were able to find a replacement candidate like one star over from us? The only reason they saw it was because they were much closer than earth was and it was a tiny world that was easily missed. Like it was a moon or something hard to notice, and they only saw it because they were looking so hard to find a place where they wouldn't die. So we were so well established we decided to let this volunteer group go next door to help.

But when our relief crew got there they realized the ark ship had been so jacked up that the landing half-failed and they ended up with cryopods spread out across the surface super far apart, but apparently still functioning. And it was all these little groups of refugees struggling. The planet was like a super xeric place with a handful of lakes and all these crazy mesas and stuff, and it even had alien plants and poo poo like that. Their main problem was violent infighting, and their second problem was they couldn't wake anyone up because there wasn't enough water, but the cryopods were starting to fail.

Anyway the rest of the dream was trying to make contact with these groups and fighting them and trying to stop the fights and trying to recover the cryopods, but the systems were corrupt and you could only access them by spoofing the captain's credentials (and the captain died during the landing). Then it turned out some lunatic had been accessing the cryopods, abducting specific people, and then replacing the pod contents with someone else and buttoning the system back up. And they would go back out into the wastes without any trace like a ghost. Noone had any idea how they survived or what was happening to the abductees or what made this guy pick these people

We were trying to figure out what in the gently caress was going on when I woke up. I have no idea what this means.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
how do you actually look up stars?
I was trying to see what stars were near this so-called "Tyson-664," if it's even real, but unless it's in Wikipedia looking up a star name of that style doesn't get u poo poo. All the catalogs that I was able to see within a 5 minute googling period seemed to demand a specific name in the form of like "BF Sex 6969" or other arcane prefix/abbreviated word/number and they already expect you to know what you're doing so it's not explained.

also i found out the pic of hooboy in ur av was supposedly made for a boiling superjupiter and it's blue because of molten silicon mist droplets and it loses like jillions of tons every day because it orbits 5 feet from the surface of its star and the solar wind boils off the atmosphere

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

There Bias Two posted:

So I need at least like SPF 30 when visiting, right?

prob can get away with like 12, they trump up those numbers to get you to buy pricier

Hexenritter posted:

I use Space Engine, which may not be entirely accurate.
http://spaceengine.org/

this looks cool as gently caress, and I wanted to download it via torrent cause they seem poor. But now i'm all dumb and can't figure out how to make torrents work. Just don't remember. Transmission can't connect to the tracker? fuckin bullshit
e: somehow it downloaded without connecting to the tracker???? I'm getting fuckin old.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 2, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah I figured it would be something like that, or like [catalog] [observatory? Person who found it?] [Number]

I loaded up space engine and it started me at a cool looking "hot earth" moon. I landed on it and I was like woah, then I couldn't figure out how to go back to space so I tried to run a search. Looks like it will accept names or designations.

Tried to find hooboy and the local stars, but it's either not cool enough to be in the database as just tyson-664 or it's not loaded in or I can't figure it out so I'm like "...you know what gently caress this I'm going to bed, try again tomorrow"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
:psypop: lol what the gently caress am I even doing

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the thing that fucks me up is a Russian came up with the idea in 1895

iirc you can have them be nonequatorial without huge problems, if you do some extra bullshit thing, but I don't actually remember what and have no sources

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Space madness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Vavrek posted:

How many Stellaris players have we got in this thread? I'm guessing it's at least a few. I've been thinking about figuring out the modding system and making the Whataplanet system and Hoomans as a custom start option. It's a pretty cool looking system.

Make them pick a civic like "fled homeworld"
It gives habitability at the cost of population growth. Keep them stock human and make Hooboy arctic. This should be one of those hardcore civics where you can't change it after the fact. You pick it during empire creation you're stuck with it.

Course that would put a lot of impetus to building up robots to make up for it. So you'd have to come up with some second civic that smooths that over too. Maybe some kind of synthphobic thing where you can't have robots but you get boosts to unity and influence? Maybe it could be traded out for normal civics later?

e: you could even make it so that "fled homeworld" could be more generalized. Like maybe you have "fled arid homeworld" and pick tropical as your starting planet. Then that empire would have arid preference but a tropical capital.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 13, 2018

• Locked thread