Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

C A planet with neon and helium as major parts of its atmosphere doesn't have much of one to begin with: Noble gases are rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Canuck-Errant posted:

E. Adam Armstrong. Having a name that came alphabetically first was a minor advantage in getting training before the war.

I. Thanks to my pre-war skills, I saw a lot of action in LEO and orbital insertions. Hell of a tough job, but I was up to it.

1, 10, 12. Being able to communicate without a radio was a major asset when things want sideways - as they often did on ops. Enhanced optics were a no-brainer, too. As for the dermal armour... well, any bit of shielding against cosmic rays is a good thing.

T. Ironically, before the war, I was probably one of Earth's few astronauts, and one of the fewer on the ground. Not really a surprise, then, that I'm being considered to lead this mission. It's what I trained for, after all.

This

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

No

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A might aswell run a quick sweep while they are awake. Then back to cyro.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lazaruise posted:

Just once I want a space cyoa where we don't descend into madness and paranoia. This isn't 40k, I think we should trust our people when they say everything is okay.
Do a cursory sweep of the other pods make sure nothing else is flickering and go back to sleep

Not a emptyquote

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B,F Thomas can handle the next two awakenings, and we'll of course be awake for arrival.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Medical, Officers, Security, Leave the rest till we have a better idea of the situation.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

.... How could we get climate data without atmospheric data?

Anyways, given that the planet is still so young, it is probably still very geologically active. So F, so we don't build our colony on a fault line.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Why in the future are we still using imperial units? The wardens are really failing us if they're giving atmospheric pressure in psi and not bar or atm.

On the atmosphere: It's about 1.3x the pressure of earth's atmosphere at sea level, which doesn't sound too bad. It would feel heavier than on earth, but you should be able to get used to it. However, the big problem is that 17% of the air is CO2. Given the higher pressure, it's the equivalent of 22% of earths air being CO2 (on earth it is 0.04%). CO2 isn't normally toxic, but at such high levels you will take in CO2 from the air instead of exhaling it when you breathe in. This means you blood has too high levels of CO2, which acidifies in solution to form carbonic acid and turns your blood acidic (Around pH 5 I think). Which of course will throw your entire biosystem out of wack and kill you. Safe levels of CO2 are under 1% for constant exposure, and around 3% for long term exposure with noticeable effects on your breathing. But reducing the CO2 concentration by such levels, even if achievable, may cool the planet even further than before due to lack of greenhouse gases, obviously a undesirable trait.

The low oxygen partial pressure is more workable. around 7.8% at earth levels, or a third of earth's oxygen partial pressure. This is low, but we know humans can adapt to quite low oxygen concentrations: At 5000m above sea level on earth, the oxygen partial pressure is about 11%, and there are permanent communities living at those altitudes. With the help of some genetic engineering, we may be able to avoid the need to increase the oxygen concentration of the atmosphere.

Anyways

Terra Nova I'm bad at names, so let's go with some latin.
BC We A. don't want to lose anything in a earthquake: they should be rather common on this world B. need POWER!
H Keeping them in cyro doesn't cost anything: Shelve them for now and come back to the issue later.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 30, 2016

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Option 6: Add a large-scale dye to the ice to blacken it and lower its Albedo, causing the ice to absorb more sunlight and melt.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

If we are doing bioenginering, we also want to up the size/efficiency of our lungs. The partial pressure of oxygen on Hooboy even before any terraforming are close enough to human survivable (By sherpa's and those acclimatised to it) that with some tweaking we can probably have people walking around Hooboy without oxygen tanks.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guys, we can always go into cyro for another few decades while we try to melt the ice. We're in no rush: take things slow and steady.

B
D
K

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

W

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Phone-posting so I may have missed this.

Have we floated the idea of going back to sleep while we terraform the planet? What did the crew say?

This

Setting something up and leaving the planet to warm for 25 years could be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, we need to terraform Hooboy before we start building stuff on it. How long can our current awake population live on the ship?

• Locked thread