Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

1. C

2. K

3. 7, 8, 12

4. Q

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

ACF+ Wake Vladmir

If someone is loving around with the pods etc I want our security chief there when we figure it out. There's really no reason not to wake people I can see, anyway, other than avoiding putting them through a lovely headache.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 25, 2016

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Also Check the ID of the pod we saw open slightly, and ask Bedia for the names associated with the pods she's seen opened

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Diogines posted:

B, C.

For an IMPORTANT reason, like a REALLY important one!

1. We have literally nothing to do. We will go back to sleep for years when this is done. We are not using up any limited resources and have all the time in the world.

2. As the GM said....

Cryostasis is a NEW TECHNOLOGY. Our colonists, the entire human species iw counting on us. And we are a scientist with serious expertise in biology! Even if(*) of we don't have a cylon on board, we might pick up some problem with the cryostasis that the ship did not.

We are the last hope for mankind, don't just be lazy, roll over and go back to sleep.

It should only take us a few days to check all the colonists. If they are fine now they should probably be fine the whole trip so we will only need to do this once.

Yeah, I agree.

I also want to a take a proper look in on the 7 year old, to be more than "pretty sure" they're OK.We can't be sure how this stuff affects children either, so it can't hurt to take the time to take a more proper check.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

Except that if damage is cumulative - say, every time you thaw and freeze - we're risking the health of a 7 year old for no better reason than 'let's see if it's working'.

A, but I'm against opening up any more cells at this point unless there's a clear indication of an actual problem.

I assumed it was possible to do a better visual check without thawing? I may have missed that part of the update tho

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

Oh, I thought you were wanting to thaw out the little girl, not just do a better visual check. Sorry :shobon:

Yea visual is all I want. Going 'Eh, I can kinda see the top of her head so she's probably ok' just doesn't strike me as ideal. Just a better check

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Slaan posted:

What, exactly, are we even trying to look for? The panel on the bridge being busted was to a cord being wired improperly. There is no saboteur. There are no cryopods in danger. There are no space alien/robots lurking in the depths.

Nothing really. Just taking advantage of the fact we are all up to give everything a once over. No reason not to

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Re: The break-up. We're not really qualified to help sort this out. If we're really worried we should wake the psychiatrist to do some sessions. Otherwise it's probably best to butt out, lest we make things worst with well-meaning meddling.

G

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

Also, stay awake a couple of days, meander about and get used to our body and get rid of the headache before we take out our pills and go back to sleep. No point compiling the pain for next time.

Yeah...about that. I wonder if we're at the point where we should order our wake-up to be delayed an extra year or so if everything is normal.

I don't want us to be incapacitated if poo poo goes down because we woke up too often when things were OK, like the wake-up before this one.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Loel posted:

Im happy to let the XO take third wakeup, things seem pretty mundane.

Yeah that sounds like a good solution

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Outrail posted:

I'm not great when it comes to fusion and nuclear physics so if it's okay I'm going to continue imagining the reactor as a giant steam engine with an automated shovel bot spooning glowing poo poo into a furnace.

Same

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

A

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

John Lee posted:

I'm from the southern USA, and invites don't work like that down here. All formal invitations are at least assumed to be "and also another person if'n ya feel like it." I mean, except for exceedingly private functions, like an orgy, I guess. But every time I've thought that a function was limited to only the people/person on the invitation, I've been wrong.

(not trying to argue, more sharing a cultural difference here)

Southern US too and strongly disagree. If an invite says 'And Family' and/or 'And Guest,' then you can bring people along. Otherwise it's very rude to just invite others, especially at a wedding where the bride and groom are probably paying per person at the reception.

ANYWAYS

I'm OK with letting security sleep. The scenario makes me a little nervous, but I'm pretty sure that's just space paranoia. Probably.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

C, F

There's no reason not to try and 'reset,' and I some extra company for a week or two would probably please the regular crew. Screw taking the next shift ourselves tho, if a 'reset' doesn't work I don't want to be faced with a dehabilitating headache during out last wake ups, especially if there's an emergency.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's our job, we'll do our best to handle it until we can't anymore. Take the next shift.

But what if pushing ourselves too hard now when nothing is happening means we are hosed when/if we get woken for a true emergency?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That's why we're taking time to actually be around while we relax, because that's apparently a thing you can't do on ice.

What I mean is, what if the 'reset' doesn't work and our cryo headaches keep getting worse? Don't wanna be hosed in a real emergency because we didn't let the second in command a couple of the standard wake-ups, basically

Ah well

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

What order would you like to wake the teams? This is pretty freeform, and you can change it later if something comes up.
You have Engineering, Science, Medical, Security, Your officers (this includes the department heads but not their teams), and the colonists themselves.

Officers, Security, Medical, Engineering, Science, and then Colonists.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!!!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Outrail posted:

Remember were not on any time frame here. If we end up orbiting the planet for another five years with everyone in Cyro it probably wouldn't make any difference to anyone but those awake. So let's be slow and steady.

Defrost a few medical, security, officers and the head of each department and their second in command. Have a big meeting to discuss what they think is the best course of action. Then assuming they defer to us wake up science and a few more engineers to make plans.

We need to know more about the planet before we make any plans though.

Nah, I disagree. Asking the officers to make such a simple decision for us sets us up to look like a weak leader, IMHO. And gives them an excuse to start squabbling about who's most 'important' before we've even woken everyone up.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 20, 2016

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Just when I thought the internet could not longer stun me, here we are

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

:yikes:

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Yay!!! Congrats and enjoy the heck out of your honeymoon!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

C

• Locked thread