Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
garland336
Feb 26, 2013
Nice CYOA you have here. My kind of speed.
Happy to see planet A got chosen. Like minded fools, unite!

While I'm happy seeing all the BSG comments I want to just say this sounds far more like the old Berserker books than BSG. And that's SUPER worrisome.

Ok with respect to the problem at hand:
- I agree on waking the XO; repeated wakings getting worse? Definitely get a nice long 'nap' for yourself. Though realistically, you're halfway there. It's a 22 year journey; Year 12 is at hand. So he's really only going to see one waking, feasibly. You'll be awake for the final waking AND the 20 year waking if you alternate. I think it'd make more sense to have him take two in a row with contingent orders to wake you on extreme emergencies only. Trust your subordinates to do their jobs. SIDE NOTE: IMAGINE HOW ROUGH THAT 60+ YEAR JOURNEY WOULD BE

- Talk only with Bedia unless she shows significant personal bias; I don't believe previous interactions with you will indicate she does. She seems very forthright.

With respect on who to wake up:

Head Engineer - with contingency to use other engineers EXCEPT previous two. Minimize that damage, after all.
Science officer - we need someone to check the space to ensure there's no external influences or local anomalies.

Leave security out of this for now, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garland336
Feb 26, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

Given the recovery time of both of the engineers, they may have already had it.

I have no idea what the Berserker books are, so you might be off the hook there?

I'm working on the update, slowly, voting is not yet closed but there is a pretty solid trend shaping up.

This week is insane, I've had four five meetings in the past three days regarding various things for my wedding, which is ~3.5 weeks out.

E: Ok, the cover of the first Berserker novel is super 70's sci-fi and I love that stuff. Boris Vallejo is legit awesome, although GIS for his name is decidedly :nws:

The berserker series was one of those "I'm stumbling around the library and OH HEY THIS OLD rear end SCIFI COVER LOOKS COOL" finds of my mid-90's youth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker_(Saberhagen)

It's basically a race of super-advanced psychotic killer robots that are the remnants of some old culture. Your classic 'we made this weapon to kill things and it worked too good so now we're all dead' story. So people will go to explore planets and unearth a berserker hive and poo poo gets real - and fast. Good stuff. Often the solution lies in using the berserkers against themselves or tricking them (tricksy hobbitses! We hates them!).

This kind of reminds me of this. I'm less worried about cylons than I am about people. Aside from nukes, the cylons in the remade BSG were hardly as antagonistic as the paranoid crew / residents / themselves, IMO. Mostly they were just acting as glorified shepherds. The humans were almost always the cause of their own worst disasters.

And lastly, wow, you're doing a CYOA with your wedding 3.5 weeks away? Brave man.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013

Butt Discussin posted:

So you think the genius robot guy's "problem" could be that humans were too lazy to invest hard in colonization, so to prevent our extinction we needed a robot "push" out of the nest?

Not sure entirely if that's what's going on but it seems rather odd to me that a doctor would be a benefactor to mankind, drop an easily contained 'show' force of robots, launch a moderately successful campaign only to have it collapse inward on itself while he absconds to parts unknown (preferably not the ones we're in) to 'start again'?

Moreover the GM has made it very clear the robots became less and less human; meaning they were likely autonomous past the first or second generation and the good Doctor Wily was off planning his next steps. The robots in making themselves after function rather than form became a thing unto themselves.

Who knows what his long term goals and motivations were... but as it stands, it sure succeeded in getting the baby birds to leave the nest, eh?

garland336
Feb 26, 2013

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I just assume that with all the cyborgs running about, someone had to be infected with malware by the machines. Also,I find it hard to believe we finally won the war against the machines when we are all half machine now.

I think they want a new planet too and are piggybacking.

Your response just made me realize that if the reactor was an act of sabotage, it 99% had to be human unless it was done before the reactor was activated otherwise the robot/cyborg would have been in real deep poo poo.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013

Loel posted:

Im assuming we have a Luddite sabotuer cult somewhere, ala Safehold.

I'm assuming it's not saboteurs so much as gross incompetence, negligence, or a combination of both. IMO they're more deadly than a saboteur lol

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
Huh. The lights thing is really weird, from a systems standpoint. Weird is bad. Weird is how a trip through space becomes:

And make no mistake - that's basically what we're doing here.
The oregon trail - in space. And you guys don't want Typhoid/etc. So let's get the smarties involved.

The primary issue is already big enough to warrant waking up a few important geeks on this.
The watchers should be seeing this stuff happening on their systems monitors. I mean I'm pretty sure the future-us has Nagios or Scom's descendant program(s). So they should be seeing this poo poo popping up big red flags as it happens. Moreover, they should be taking steps to fix/mitigate as it occurs. In the meantime though, time to act like an executive and get the relevant people up and at em.

I'm +1 on waking Vlad now too. Could be indians, after all.

garland336 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 7, 2016

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
So just... stupid question here...

But doesn't choosing option A basically amount to the same thing as option B?

Shutting down the whole ship would presumably include the cryo systems, right? ... if that's the case, I think option B would probably be better as it'd only affect one system (albeit longer and past spec.. ok probably not a great choice). 20 minutes it is then!
Also we need some pros/cons from this engineer on each plan.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
Absolutely option A

I agree with the squid. No signs I can see here of tampering. Just looks like good old fashioned mechanical breakdown or defects - which while boring, happens over 20+ year journeys!

garland336
Feb 26, 2013

FoxTerrier posted:

Officers, Security, Medical, Engineering, Science, and then Colonists.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!!!

I uh... yeah, exactly this.

Good choices.

So with respect to the issues with cryo, I'm wondering if maybe what's happening here is that since it's not natural sleep you're encountering that perhaps natural sleep will fix it? I mean the fact you napped for 10 hours and suddenly had a raging metabolic case of the munchies ...

No idea what to ask Ann either, I'll leave that for our more social adept members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
Player inserts another quarter and presses continue!

Sorry, had to take a brief departure - life issues.

This is, frankly, less of a landing issue and more of a structural issue.
If we're talking absorption of radiation, then what we are ideally going to need is something with sufficient PF(Protection Factor) to reduce stellar radiation to a minimum.

Three feet of mounded dirt. That's basically all we need. That will provide a PF of approximately 300, which should reduce those incoming death rays from the cosmos to a very mitigated 1/300th of their current capability.

Of course, any time you disturb earth you risk radon or other toxic gasses (which if we're on a geologically active plane will make it a virtual certainty) so a simple mitigation system will be necessary. My point, my primary point, is that this is less an issue of where we land (as all areas are significantly higher than Earth) and more of an issue of planning for it from the outset with simple, effective engineering. This completely discounts even having higher technology solutions. Though realistically when it comes to structural engineering and radiation mitigation.. there's little substitute for raw, dense, mass (that's what she said, at least). Granted other little things can be done like long entry corridors, right angles in entry corridors/points, etc. But the primary solution should totally be an earth-enclosed habitat with a constant pump/filter to handle any buildup of toxic gasses.

More info here if you need it:
http://www.oism.org/nwss/

• Locked thread