Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Great read so far.

Voting ACF+Doc+Security squad, and yeah let's go ahead and make a bit of small talk with Bedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Security-wise, I think that we should have at least a single fireteam (2 men) handy.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Common sense prevails, nix my previous suggestion.

A

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Canuck-Errant posted:

If they're rated for a full day, I vote A.

Wonder if there's any way we could output what we 'see' to a video feed - it could be useful in a blackout situation - but I suspect that might be a step too far at the moment.

Yeah, the placement of our A/V output jack is somewhat less than ideal :v:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

+1 Plan Outrail. this constant freezing/thawing/refreezing is probably giving us all kinds of ice-crystal-related brain damage.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Plan Outrail.

Also I think asking for input isn't necessarily a sign of weakness or incapability. If your department heads feel like you value their input they'll be more positively disposed towards you.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Plan RandomPaul and we might want to start rotating people out of cryo to replenish their sugars and electrolytes so people don't wake up with cryopsychosis

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

"Occam's Razor, Cedric. Run a theoretical model based on the existence of an additional planetary body, using the known dynamics of existing bodies in the system and see if it balances out the abnormalities."

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 20, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ralith posted:

While we've been asleep, they've been studying this for long enough to get a graduate degree in the question. If we must make uneducated layman's guesses, we shouldn't phrase them like we think we're smarter than them.

Fair point, that did come across a bit :smug:

edit: But seriously, a zero albedo body in the system large enough to cause gravitational anomalies on a scale equivalent to a planet is a pretty big deal and my desire to know more is growing.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 20, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ralith posted:

Yeah, let's absolutely pry for more details. What're their best theories? What actions can we take to learn more? Can we drop off a probe in a useful orbit on our way in or something?

Voting for the 100% less :smug: suggestion here instead of my own.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Outrail posted:

Can we do math and science, and release a probe now at our current speed and record what happens when it slams into the massive gas giant at relativistic speeds?

Also guys, common, it's totally aliens.

I love this. It's so hilariously destructive.

And yes, yes it is. The Nullbedosphere is totes aliens. Or robots. Or robot aliens.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

RandomPauI posted:

Is Otto's body being preserved, was there an autopsy?

Furthermore, is he being kept on ice to receive a state funeral for his years of dedication and devotion to the preservation of our frozen futures?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

+1 more to burying him beneath the first tree planted.

I also like the idea of a public ceremony honouring the Wardens or some other form of lasting recognition marking the importance of their role in our arrival and continued existence. They shall be heroes.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm so absolutely down with Hooboy, Otto's Rest and Gravitas Free Zone. I've been giggling like an idiot watching the voteshift for the planet's name.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

amazing. It is now my headcanon no matter what Olo does.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'd also like to name the albedo ~0 planet Ohlawdy

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm a dirty foreigner from America's true and rightful ruler so unfortunately I'm not allowed to vote i n federal elections until I pay the exorbitant citizenship application fees and renounce Blighty

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

you coul d derail the derail with a post :v:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

instead we get a horsetoothed war criminal :v:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

That full atmosphere render looks great, and the reduced haze/reduced bluesky one makes sense given (if I remember correctly) that there's a reduced oxygen ratio on Hooboy. It's got a very Iceland in midwinter look to it, very "young world"y

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

vorebane posted:

There's a case to be made. I think we want a rotating shift system between the surface, the ship, and the extensive space platform up at the top of that space elevator I'm going to be voting for.

But yah there's a case to be made.

(the pics look awesome)

I like this idea. This stops anyone feeling like they're getting permanently saddled with poo poo detail, and it ensures that everyone gets a well-rounded foundation of experience in multiple situations. I don't think we want to fully commit to being terrestrial again and maintaining a regular shipboard routine within the shift rotations helps that.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ralith posted:

I'm telling you, giant orbital mirrors! Assuming simple greenhouses alone won't do the trick.

An Archimedean mirror satellite array. A geostationary web allowing for maximum coverage around Hooboy. This would have the effects of A, meaning we could project sunlight anywhere on the surface; B, control the intensity of said sunlight; and C, weaponise it if we ever needed to melt frost monsters. :D

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Sorry, when

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

20 Fahrenheit with 13mph wind where I am. Veritable t-shirt weather for your average Hooman.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Olothreutes posted:

The outside air temperature on my flight home hit -65 C today. It feels appropriate.

Windspeed was over 800 kph, but I think that's cheating.

A couple of years ago here in Illinois we had -40 temperatures (both C and F!) and several feet of snow. Digging two vehicles out of that poo poo (one had been utterly buried by the road commissioner's snow plough) was not fun, let me tell you.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I can only imagine you guys have an annual "find the hobo-pop" easter-egg hunt every spring. Your homeless population must end up looking like Pompeii victims.

That's cold, man.

:v:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

nthing the cyber/genetic upgrades and shielding sentiment. Widespread survivability upgrades and research into making the genetic modifications hereditary will go a long way toward ameliorating the harsh conditions because Hooboy.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Outrail posted:

2000 years from now we're going to be genetically and physically incompatible with any other remnants of humanity. Rapid speciation event.

Their biological resources will serve well enough to build our indentured caste.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm guessing Hooboy has some hellacious winds. How efficient are wind energy generators with the tech available to us, and are they a significantly worse choice than reactors and geothermal power?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Outrail posted:

For what it's worth it was around - 28C (-18F) yesterday, and aside from wearing really thick scarves and "Ohh loving coold today eh?" life went on pretty normally.

And my hand got stuck to the doorknob, but that was my own fault.

I've been in -40(F&C convergence!) weather, and the worst thing about it was definitely the sapping nature of breathing frozen air. We didn't stay out for more than 20 minutes at a time while digging the vehicles out and took turns sitting in the truck with the heat blasting so I mean it's totally doable, especially with futuretech arctic survival gear replacing Rothco fatigues worn over fleece pajama pants and faux-fur-lined plaid shirts over hoodies.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

1B. Let's take a look at those ice formations, this also has the added benefit of making Silvia not think we're just constantly blowing her input off.
2E. Tubal seems to have a good handle on what needs done, but prioritising shielding means we can put a greater number of bodies down there on the engineering projects following thereafter.
3N. Not so much a new option as a prioritisation schedule. Cold weather adaptation, radiation resistance and then the greenhouse option. My mind may be changed on this though.

edit: amending my vote to Plan McSpanky

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 18, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

amended my vote to Plan McSpanky as reflected above.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ADG

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Olothreutes posted:

Ice road truckers, perhaps?

Hugh Rowland presents and stars in this year's smash hit series Ice Road Truckers: Hooboy This is Cool

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

That's brilliant. We should totes create a Heroes of Hooboy line of collectible figurines (they're not dolls!), dramatised teleplays, novelisations and assorted other morale-boosting loot.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Loel posted:

He and I have been plotting :D

Its a good sign I feel.

:awesome:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Outrail posted:

That is the opposite of awesome. We gonna die in a flood of chaos and iron men.

:fap:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Cannon_Fodder posted:

oh no. Ohhh no....

Link? I've fallen way behind.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657951&userid=187298&perpage=40&pagenumber=109#post468003909

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Telsa Cola posted:

Well we can float the question next time it comes up? I know next to nothing about the thermal aspects of it besides the fact it will be slightly warmer then the surface, but yeah it might drain heat.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Congratulations, mazel tov and definitely don't let the thread name her

• Locked thread