Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Hot: +1 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: +2 | Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Dull Sword, Lecherous

I murmur back, "It would be my pleasure." I don't know if it's the adrenaline, magic king powers, or all of the above, but I lift her into a princess carry like she was weightless and kiss her deeply. I'm blushing, she's blushing, and her eyes are dead-set on the bed. I don't pretend to be an expert in these matters, but even I can see what she -- and I -- want. Her breath is hot against my neck and it drives me wild. Blood is rushing everywhere. My heart feels like it's going to beat it's way out of my chest.

I lay her down on the bed, straddling her, as the world outside us seems to vanish.

Fading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Hot -1 | Cold +1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Bitchy

The princess carry pushes me over the edge. If there'd been any sliver of doubt, any chance my nerves would prove too much and I'd back out before we could go all the way, that swept them away, just like he did, and I feel like I really am in a dream as King Arthur himself carries me to his bed, like his queen. Could I have imagined a more magical first time? I doubt it. Laying on his bed, I smile up at him, reach out to take his hands and guide them down to me.

Fading.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot: +1 | Cold: +2 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4 | XP 3/5 | Conditions: Forgetful, Drained

I brush off her concern with my appearance, returning her smile while saying, "Oh, just a bit of a chill down the spine. Nothing to worry about."

I glance around, wondering where everyone is before saying, "So, humor me for a moment. What do you think of... Madeline?" I'm still trying to sort through all those possible futures in my head. Maybe an outside voice will help?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Hot: +2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +1
Harm: 0/4 | XP 2/5 | Conditions: Rude, Bipolar

"Madeline?" Rose replies, getting into a thinking gesture. "Oh, many things. Quite a lot of which would be too rude to share. Why are you asking?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot: +1 | Cold: +2 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4 | XP 3/5 | Conditions: Forgetful, Drained

I say, "Well... just between the two of us... I'm not sure about her and Arthur. He's my friend and I've just got a bad feeling about her. Wasn't sure if it was just me or not."

I sigh, "But... he's head over heels for her. Not much I can do at the moment."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Promise me you won't tell this to anyone? ... I don't like her. She seems exactly the kind of person who'd just throw someone away the second she gets bored of her."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Hot: +0 | Cold: +1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +1
Harm: 0/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions: troublemaker, Yours Truly

Oof! Ow!

I look up from where I've stumbled over, oh, it's Beatrice. She's.... uh... nice? Yeah, she's probably not very good at talking to people. That's why she's so.... uh, creepy.

"You okay?" I ask. I'm a little distracted. "Oh, sorry, one second." I check the text. Oh! James can't make it....? Uhhhhh, (oh god help me)

No. THis is fine. It's fine! I can deal with this. No problem....

First I really REALLY need that shower.

"Sorry Bea, I've got to dash. I'll try and be a little more careful going forward!" I say as I dash away. I need to get my head in order. I reach the girls rooms and slip into the shower. Strip and on with the water! Ohhhhhh holy loving poo poo that's too good! I quietly moan in satisfaction as the cold hits me. Hmmm, just like home. I switch it to hot shortly after. I need to relax as well. With the water running down my body I think about using my trick. I've kinda got no choice. If I sing, I can try and get some insight. See if I can sort all of this out. I cup the water in my hands, and I let out a soft low note. More of a hum then anything. I watch the vibrations ripple across my little pool.

And so I start to sing. Beseeching the water's for guidance. Just like Daddy taught me. I've never done it above water like this though. Tell me, what must I do to succeed in this theft without getting caught?

- - -

11:13 PM A<ArashiOfOrdo3> ArashiofOrdo3 River - Gaze Into The Abyss
11:13 PM !r 2d6+1
11:13 PM K<Krysmbot> ArashiOfOrdo3, 8+1 = 9

- the visions are lucid and detailed but they leave you with the Condition drained.

11:35 PM A<ArashiOfOrdo3> ArashiofOrdo3 River - Siren Song
11:35 PM !r 2d6+1
11:35 PM K<Krysmbot> ArashiOfOrdo3, 11+1 = 12
11:36 PM A<ArashiOfOrdo3> ArashiofOrdo3 Okay
11:36 PM Thats....
11:36 PM You know how I was joking before about people breaking down the door while River was showering
11:36 PM Well, the dice really want to make that a reality.

- On a 10 up, all who hear it stumble entranced toward you, though a character that takes harm will stop suddenly and gain the Condition dazed.

- - -

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 24, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Scene 4

Irving highlight River
River highlight Rose
Rose highlight Arthur
Arthur highlight Madeline
Madeline highlight Beatrice
Beatrice highlight Irving

Madeline Checkmate. Looks like you've got Arthur exactly where you want him completely under your thumb and well under other parts too. Ahem. Did you enjoy yourself even knowing you had Morgan voyeuring you? Still now that Arthur is all yours and you don't have to worry about him as such what's the next step of your cunning master plan, You do have a plan right? Because right now Morgan is keen to make a suggestion. What does she whisper to you as you lay next to Arthur?

you lose a string and Morgan gains a string on Arthur

Arthur It's really good to be the king isn't it. Still was this your first time as in you and not the memories of the other guy? Is this relationship or whatever you want to call it going to be something you're going to keep secret or is it something you want to shout from the rooftops?
Still it suddenly hits you. Didn't Arlene want you for something about now. You could still make it to meet her in time if you wanted. Or is it probably not as important as staying here with Madeline?

Clear your conditions if Madeline disgusts you she gets a string on you. If you disgust yourself she gets a string on you

Beatrice You bump awkwardly into River as you try to grab something belonging to her but all you manage to do is collide with her. Luckily River is so ditzy she doesn't even seem to care. Still you noticed she was quite striking when you bounced off of her. Certainly different indeed from the other girls around here give River a string. Hmm she's in an awful rush right now what do you suppose is so important for her? Do you follow her or do you go with your original plan of showing Rose a *ahem* proper Carrington welcome for trying to take what is yours?

River A little awkward tripping you tripping over Beatrice like that wasn't it. Still doesn't look like you did any permanent damage to her or to you for that matter. So it's all ok. Still you rush upstairs and dive into the showers. They're deserted which is nice that means you can hog the hot water and not get any complaints. Still as the warm water hits your back and you lose yourself in song the visions come to you. You stood outside the teachers door, you knock hesitantly only to get no response. Encouraged you push open the door to reveal no one there. You grab something at random but in the corner a bell begins to ring and somehow the door slams shut behind you and won't budge no matter what you do it. Obviously an alarm of some sort. Still if you can get the alarm wet that should short it out for a little while right? All that electric stuff doesn't like getting wet after all. Hmm as your musing on the best way to get water from here to there you here the sound of footsteps as someone enters the bathroom with a vacant grin on their face. Who is it? and what did they do to upset you the last time they talked to you?

Irving: Well at least she was honest. She could have lied to you like so many other people tend to do when they're trying to suck up to you. Still Madeline being a bitch to other girls she thinks might be sniffing round Arthur has any number of reasonable explanations doesn't it. Still you promised her a tour of the place right? Even if most of your friends have ditched you you still plan to live up to your end of the bargain don't you. Where do you plan to show her first?

Rose Well that was an odd question. Still it seems you get brownie points for answering honestly. Looks like any chance of flirting with Arthur is a complete bust now that he's ditched you. Still there's plenty more fish in the sea. Speaking of fish there's a nice juicy one right in front of you. Wouldn't it be a shame if he got away from you? I mean the two of you alone on a tour no one to interrupt you. My just think of all the fun you could have. Of course that's assuming he's willing but then you like challenges don't you? What was the last challenge you overcame and how does it remind you of this one?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hot 0, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 1
XP 4/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: Easily Distracted, Stepford Smiler

Irving, highlight Dark. BROODING HUNX TIME

Oh, dear. Well, that didn't go according to plan, but it may have created some... interesting wrinkles. Still, I've got to prevent getting entangled, and there are things that are more important than getting entangled in her little drama. Although -- it's so tempting to get close. But there's time. What are the odds that she'll free herself completely from this entanglement before I see her again? Rather poor, I think. Rather poor.

With that, I'm hustling up to meet Irving. I'm a bit breathless by the time I get there, and just a touch disheveled, with a single lock of hair falling over one eye. "Ah, I'm so sorry! I got tied up in one thing and another... Rose, you can't be too angry at me, can you? For making you wait? I do intend to show you a proper Carringtonian welcome. Don't we both, Irving?" I smile sweetly, although my gaze is more towards Rose than Irving now. I intend to impress him, but if I can get closer to her, close enough that this can all be hashed out properly... "But I do hope I haven't offended."

Strange thoughts. Interesting potential, but strange thoughts.

Turn On Rose, tagging Bipolar: 2d6+1 13
String ahoy!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot: +1 | Cold: +2 | Volatile: -1] | Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4 | XP 4/5 | Conditions: Forgetful, Drained

I say, "Of course not. This is just between us, right?" I rub my chin as she lays out her opinion. It seems... off. I say, "Really? Madeline struck me as more of the ridiculously jealous type."

But, that wasn't a discussion to have here, as I spot Beatrice approaching. Waving over her shoulder, I say, "Well, let's pick this up another time." As Beatrice approaches, I take her hand in mine and give it a squeeze. Then, I say to Beatrice, "Well, I know I won't hold it against you. Rose and I were just having a nice chat with, so no harm done." I glance over at Rose, knowing she won't disagree, but still waiting for her response.

After she does, I say to Beatrice, "But yes, we've got so much to show Rose. Where do you think we should start?"

<CorpseFalcon> Turn on beatrice
<CorpseFalcon> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> CorpseFalcon, 7+1 = 8

River's been on a hot streak lately.

Rose, I promise that I won't tell anyone about this conversation, marking XP. Do you promise too?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Beatrice, you might need to get a bit Volatile to protect your interests with Irving.

Mmm. This is perfect. I've got Arthur right where I want him, curled up tight in his bed with me. Um. Because of my plan, yes. Definitely have a plan past this point. Haha, don't be silly. I didn't just want to be going out with Arthur, no, there is definitely something I'm working towards. Yes. Like... To make sure he really trusts me. So eventually I can betray him when it'd do the most damage so Morgan will have her revenge, since, you know, that's why she's helping me. That said... Morgan's own suggestion doesn't really seem to be along that line? Since the first thing she suggests when she finally speaks up again is to kiss him. Which I do. But you know... not exactly what I'd have expected.

And no, no problem with her watching. I mean, she's always watching, that's just part of our relationship. It's like if god was real, and could talk to... only me. And give me powers and stuff. I don't mind her watching if it means I get to experience things like that. Not a bit. The next suggestion Morgan makes is that I make sure this is a binding connection, not just a one off thing. Or a two off, considering the festival. That seems like sound advice as well, and I guess I can see how this works into her plan of getting revenge as well? (and it gets me more dates with Arthur so not complaining)

I give him another kiss for good measure, and cuddle myself a bit closer to him. "Athur..." I smile shyly, trailing one hand up his back and to the back of his head, nestling it in his hair. "we're a couple, right? This isn't just a one night stand to you?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm: 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: None!

No disgust, so no strings! And Madeline should prepare to get cold to fend off all the pretty ladies trying to tempt Arthur.

Life was good. Life was really good. Madeline and I felt so right together. Obviously, yes, the sex was fantastic. I was a little worried. A lot worried, actually, with the comments Arlene had been throwing around earlier. Especially since, circa a little bit ago, I had been a virgin. Luckily the King was a bit of a sex maniac, even for back then. So, yeah. King's memories: good for two things. Monster hunting and getting with a wonderful lady. Speaking of which, I should probably tell her about all this. I was getting tired of coyly beating around the bush when James and Madeline would ask why I had roughly unlimited swords or bizarre insight into obscure Celtic and Welsh monsters. I'd been a bit reluctant to tell anyone about the whole King thing -- years of being convinced you were going mad tends to do that. But if anyone would understand -- would believe me -- it would be Madeline. She knew magic, right? This was basically magic stuff.

Even as I was lost in my own thoughts and the warmth from Madeline's body, her words snapped me back to the present. I blushed, considered my earlier thoughts, and then went for it, "Of course! I mean, yes, definitely not a one night stand. I want us to be together. But, before that, I really need to get something off my chest. I'm, uh, kind of possessed by the spirit of King Arthur. Well, no, that's not quite right. I'm a distant descendant. It's weird and complicated and didn't exactly come with a rule book or anything. I've wanted to tell you for a while now, but... it sounds crazy right? That's... probably a lot to take in. I'd understand if you don't want to date a crazy person."

I mentally began bracing myself for Madeline's rejection. This was it. This was when I hosed it all up and people would hate me and I wouldn't know what to do because heaven forbid King Fuckin' Arthur ever leave me any useful skills like talking to people. Nope, just sticking things with swords -- and, well, metaphorical swords.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

That took me a bit off guard, I'll admit. Which is probably for the best. Obviously, I already knew he was King Arthur, but the way I knew that wouldn't do, so I had to act surprised. But what actually was surprising was him telling me. It's not the sort of thing you could normally get away with saying, and he really should be keeping it a secret. I hesitate for a moment, then smile at him. "I don't think your crazy."

"Well... probably not crazy. It's not the sort of thing that's easy to believe, but, well. You fight monsters, and I can do magic, so... You being the ...reincarnation or... returned from Avalon of King Arthur isn't much further out there, right?" I fall silent for a moment, gathering my thoughts. "It doesn't really matter though, does it? I mean, even if you are King Arthur come again, you're still the same Arthur I wanted to be with. And it's not like you're going to be crowned king of Britain again, are you?" I let a slow, sly smile spread across my face. "Though I suppose this means I'm your queen." Pushing him onto his back, I climb on top of him, hands resting on his warm, muscled chest, and lean in to whisper, "I hope you're ready to treat me like royalty."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I slowly let my breath back out. Whew. Madeline was taking this better than I had hoped. That was a relief. Yeah, definitely a good thing that I had told her all of that instead of someone else. James? He wasn't as down with the whole magic scene. He would definitely think I was a bit of a lunatic. Arlene was kind of my weird undead arch-enemy so obviously she was right out. And... those were probably the only others I knew who were even approaching being woke enough to deal with a bombshell like that. Wait, didn't Arlene want me to go somewhere tonight? I had totally forgotten about it with all of the excitement. Something about meeting in the woods? I'd have to think on it later. My mind -- and body -- was presently a little wrapped up in Madeline's.

I ran my hands up her side, a bit of a grin on my face, "Yeah, I guess that's true, huh? Things have been, well, a little weird since all of this started. A lot weird, even. It's... it's really good to be able to share this with someone. And, yeah, the monarchy isn't exactly what it was. I'll gladly leave that queen to deal with all of those tourists and official functions while I," My hands continued tracing up her body, "dedicate myself to a much more important matter."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Harm: 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Troublemaker, Yours Truly, Drained

Hmm... If I can short out the alarm, I can get away with this! I really hope I can get away with this... I just feel tired. Maybe it's the fear. I can't help but shiver. Ohh... water's gone cold! Eeek! Ahhh! I get out of the shower. Okay! Okay! Shower's over! I start walking towards my towels. At that exact moment, the door opens. I freeze.

Ohhh... It's Maggie Williams.

She can be... quite forward. Really friendly. Likes hugs, and uhhh, wrestling! And horse play...! When we're alone. It's nice that she wants to be friends with me... I just wish she wasn't quite so... insistent.

"....uhhhh..... hi...." I whisper, the flush rising on my face. I want to reach for my towel. But... then I'd have to um, show myself. I start sneaking towards it. I'm so embaressed! This is terri... why are they still coming towards me...?

- - -
Rose highlights cold

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 3, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"good..."

A while later, its probably time for the two of us to moving again. Much longer and Irving will be coming back, let alone the homework and hunting we still need to get done. Pushing myself upright, I swing my feet over the side of the bed and start gathering up my clothes. They're bound to be a bit rumpled from laying on the floor for so long, but they should look passable still, and luckily my hair looks just as good in a mussed, tousled style as it does properly groomed. Once I've found my clothing, I start to dress, pulling my panties up as I look over my shoulder back at Arthur. "So, what are hunting tonight then?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I enjoyed the view for a moment, a smile on my face, before I hopped out of bed myself and began to make it. It was a bit of a rushed job, but not too bad. I grabbed my trousers and began pulling them on as I mulled over my earlier conversation with Arlene. It might be a set-up, but I doubted that she knew everything we could do. Things were a little crazy that night and I wasn't exactly using one of the good swords.

My face turned serious, "Arlene. She's a banshee -- been involved in the recent disappearances in the forest behind the school. I thought I had taken care of her last night, but clearly it didn't take. She may know about you and James. She was honing in on James this morning in class before I headed her off at the place."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Of course not! Don't worry about it. I always keep my promises." I reply to Irving, just before Beatrice arrives. "Oh, hello Beatrice! I don't think we've had a proper chance to talk yet, have we? Pleased to meet you.

Arthur is pretty Cold towards Rose, apparently...

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 1, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Scene 4 Continued

Irving highlight Cold
River highlight Dark
Rose highlight Hot
Arthur highlight Volatile
Madeline highlight Dark
Beatrice highlight Hot

River: Maggie looks almost completely out of it as she stumbles towards you obliviously. "That was amazing" you hear her mumble dreamily as she favours you with a woozy smile and continues to move closer to you. "I'd do anything to here you sing like that again. Anything you want" she smiles as she opens out her arms to give you a big hug. Uh oh.... Has anything like this happened to you before? What do you do now?

Arthur & Madeline You both hurriedly dress and head down to the forest in the grounds. Shortly after you cross the tree line a blood curdling screech is the first thing you here. Something here is about to die. Or has already died if you remember your stuff about Banshees. What do you both do to make sure it's not you?

Arthur: The scream seems almost eerie and seems to settle in your spine. As you scan the forest for clues. What strikes you as out of place?

Madeline So uh Arlene's a banshee now? Is that a shock to you or did you suspect something was up with her? What are you going to do to her when you find her?

Beatrice Well looks like you caught up with the two of them just in time. What is the first place you think you should show her to best understand Carrington? What is the one place you definitely don't want her to see?

also you need to respond to Irvings turn-on

Irving: Whew, saved by the bell or the Beatrice anyway. Still at least Rose seems like the type to keep her promises. More or less anyway. Still there you are wandering around with two attractive girls after dark. Life isn't that bad is it? Is this the kind of thing you expected when you came to school here? What do you do?

Rose Well there goes your private conversation with Irving and any chance to keep him alone with you. Typical as soon as she appears he's all over her while he never even looks at you. Of course she's worth looking at isn't she? Still thoughts about that kind of thing aside what do you think of Irving's promise? Do you think he'll hold up his end of the bargain or will you have to punish him for it? How does it work anyway when people break their promises to you?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 2, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hot 0, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 1
XP 4/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: Easily Distracted, Stepford Smiler

Really sorry about the delay, guys. Work continues to eat my face. Dumb question: do the highlights for this scene count retroactively to the beginning of the scene? If so, I need to strike out my Hot highlight and advance.

Irving takes my hand, and something that's been building in my chest seems about to spill over, at last. I've never actually been touched before by anyone not my family -- my cohort? My household? It doesn't matter, really; the point is the same. A sudden impulse draws me in closer, to embrace him for as long as I think I can manage: a few moments, but an emphatic few moments, pressing my body against his in the hope of making this sensation last. It's an answer and, perhaps, it's a question.

Giving myself, insofar as current situation and Beatrice being a hot disaster allows

With that, I turn to Rose. "Yes, I believe not. How are you finding it here? And... ah, perhaps we should start with the library? It's quite the institution."

The library's a bit of a showpiece, really. For now, though, I think I'd prefer to keep Rose away from the more specialized science facilities. Many of them are... less than adherent to consensus science, as it were. To hear Father speak, there are secrets there that are quite dangerous in the wrong hands, and I'm not at all convinced Rose is the right hands, right now.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Yep. That was the scream. Arlene was here and the woods were creepy and it was dark out. Just like last night! I was going to need to use my full kit. Armor, sword, the works. I hadn't used the armor before on a group hunt. I used it a bit back before I teamed up with James and Madeline. It's a little... ostentatious? Regal? Screams "oh hey, this dude is probably King Arthur?" One of those.

My fingers shaped themselves into Merlin's sign. For a moment nothing happened, then a hole opened up in the world before me. I stepped through, vanishing from the world, then emerged from the other side clad in gleaming armor and bearing the sword. Excalibur. Oh yeah, it was on. I had a couple of short swords in various flavors of metal strapped to my back as well. Never knew what you'd need, right? Maybe banshees needed to be killed with cold iron or silver or something to stay dead.

Now that I felt a little more ready for the coming festivities, I scanned the trees. Immediately, I notice that there is literally nothing making noise. Just Arlene's scream, echoing its way through the trees, and then the two of us. No chittering animals, no wind through the leaves... nothing. Dead silent. I looked over at Madeline, "It's too quiet. It wasn't like this last night. Something's wrong. Stay close -- I think she's going to try to divide and conquer."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

A Banshee. Arlene is a Banshee. That's... well it's not really hard to believe, Banshee's aren't any less believable than anything else we deal with, and frankly a bit less than the fact that I just slept with, and am going out with, King Arthur. But still, it takes a bit of time to sink in. Luckily, I have the entire trip into the woods to let it sink in, so by the time we've arrived, I have a vague plan. Banshee's scream, everyone knows that, and if I'm remembering, her scream should be deadly.

Or... based on the fact that we just heard it, and aren't dead, potentially deadly might be the better word. Maybe she has to be close, or scream for awhile, or be right in your face. Anyway, the scream is the really dangerous part of a Banshee. And I should be able to use my withering curse to ruin her vocal folds or something along those lines. I'm prepared, and ready to move in, when I turn to look at Arthur as he emerges from his portal thing. "whoa." I'm staring. "Nice armor." Seriously, it works for him. Oh, he was saying something. "Right. Any idea where to start looking?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I grinned briefly, then put my game face back on, "Thanks. She was lurking by the river last night. I'm pretty sure that's her main hunting ground," I tapped Excalibur against my shoulder thoughtfully, "So I figure we hit the river and search the area. She may have lured in some victims earlier, let's keep an eye out for them as well."

After a crazy day, it was kind of nice to be back out in the field doing normal things. Like getting all geared up and hunting a banshee. With, you know, my girlfriend. Who was a witch. Yep, definitely got to love the return to normality.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"The river, got it." I think that was mostly the same direction that scream just came from, so that's as good a place to start as any. I slide myself a little bit closer to Arthur's side as we move along through the trees and to the river. I haven't seen anything odd so far, but we've got a bit of a way to go. I'm not exactly stealthy out here, constantly brushing against branches and snapping twigs, so maybe the sounds will draw her out without us having to search for too long.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Smiling as she agrees to keep this between us, I smile even more as Beatrice clings to me. Between her and Rose, this is more or less what I expected to happen when I came here. It's good to know that Arlene was just an odd one off. Everyone here loves me. I put an arm around her and hold her close as we walk towards the Library.

Oh, while we're walking, I send another text to Arthur, saying that I need to talk to him. It's rude to keep a friend waiting like that!

When we arrive, I say, "So... Beatrice, Rose unfortunately is a little behind on finding someone for the festival. We should help her find someone. You know Rodney, right? Do you think he'd be a good date?" Pondering more pairings, I add, "Or maybe James? The fencing James, I mean. He's quite hands- no, Arthur says he's horrid. Hm... Don't really know much about Khalid, either..." Since I hang out with the best people in the school, it's no surprise that most people I know have already paired off. I shrug, casually adding, "Or maybe we could see about Elspeth? She might swing that way, if you're interested, Rose."

I turn to look at her, waiting for her input.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

My phone buzzed against the inside of my armor making an absolutely horrifying racket. I stopped dead in my tracks, patting down my sides trying to find some sort of pocket or way to remove it. Who would be texting me now? Why hadn't I put my phone on silent? Had I even checked my phone before coming out here now? So many questions and so few answers.

I hurriedly opened the portal once again, stepped through without the armor, and checked my phone. Oh. It was Irving. And, uh, he'd apparently been trying to get a hold of my for a while. I tapped out a quick reply, turned off my phone, and reappeared in armor once more.

@Irving posted:

Hey Irving! What's up? Out on a hike with Madeline right now, but I've got some big news when I get back!

I looked apologetically at Madeline, "Sorry about that. Irving apparently had something really important to tell me, but, uh, didn't tell me what it was. Back to the hunt?"

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

"....eeek!" I replied to Maggie. Freezing in place as the girl wraps her arms around me. Oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god

Oh god.

I don't know what to do! I'm naked and she's hugging me and I'm naked... AHHHHHHHHH

"T-That's nice, um, y-you could start by letting go, p-please?"

When I used to sing under the water, the fish and all matter of creatures would come from far and wide to listen! It was amazing and magical and wonderful... but this is just... really uncomfortable. It's never happened to me before! What is this?! Why is she acting like this?! Oh god please someone come and help me!!

I make a grab for a towel and wrap it around myself. But Maggie seems out of it. I'm really freaking out. "Hello!" I yell out at the corridor "Someone.... help?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I definitely didn't jump when Arthur's armor started vibrating loudly next to me, nope. Okay, I might have, but once I realized what it was, I almost fell over laughing as he changed out of his armor to get to it. Once he's replied to the message and told me what it is - Irving, huh? What's going on with his tour that he needs Arthur, anyway? - I straight up to grin at him. "Here, I'll hold..." he put his armor back on. Come on Arthur. "...without a holster for it, isn't that just going to happen again? Go get your phone for a second and I'll carry it while we're hunting."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I shot her a wry grin, "Yeah, now that you mention it, that's a much better idea. I was just going to keep it off, but you never know when it might come in handy." A short moment later I handed her the phone, now turned back on. Madeline was full of good ideas. I was glad I could count on her to have my back. The forest was significantly less creepy with someone I trusted at my side.

I looked around, not immediately seeing any movement in the forest around us, and turned back to her, "So is it cool if I tell Irving we're together?"

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Scene 4 Continued

River: As you slip out of her arms. Maggie continues to stumble towards you. Until that is she stand on an unfortunately discarded bar of soap. It's almost comical watching her flail to keep her balance but she crashes to the floor with a heavy thud. After a few moments she shakes her head and looks at you with a confused expression on her face. "What happened? How did I end up here? why does my head feel like candy floss?" What do you say to her? Or do you just take advantage of the distraction to make your escape?

Arthur: You creep through the trees trying to ignore the fact that armour might not be the best solution for hiding your presence. As you do another howl splits the night louder this time, closer. It's almost right in front of you. As you push through into a clearing you see Arlene crouched over something...is that a corpse? She's covered in blood what do you do?

Madeline Well it'd be a lot easier to creep around if Arthur's armour didn't make so much racket wouldn't it? As you step into the clearing a beat behind Arthur, what do you notice about the area around Arlene and the body that seems out of place?

Beatrice The library huh? Well it's as good a place to start as any I suppose even if it is quite a way to walk to get there. While you're walking who do you run into that you've been trying to avoid? Why have you been avoiding them?

Irving: Rose looks silently on as you list off the names. You sense she's not exactly eager to buy what you're trying to sell. Can you think of anything you can do to convince her? Or do you not want to give her the wrong idea?

Rose Do any of those names catch your fancy? Seems like you're stuck with everyone else's left overs unless you make your own opportunities of course. What do you do?

Beatrice + Rose + Irving The three of you set off towards the library as you pass the girls dorm on the way you hear a scream and raised voices. Someone yelling for help. What do each of you do?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 13, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 1
XP 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: Easily Distracted, Stepford Smiler

Given the retroactive Hot highlight, Beatrice hit 5 XP, so I'm advancing her -- taking +1 Hot, because, uh, she hasn't done much of anything else.

Rose and Rodney? She'd eat him alive -- and then he'd probably eat her alive, less metaphorically. Or take out her eyes. It's not entirely an unwelcome concept, but perhaps it's still not wise. "Oh, I don't know about Rodney," I reply, trying to sound casual about it. "I'm not sure he even plans to go to the bonfire. Those fencing boys are quite a debonair lot, though -- and the girls, too, of course. Aaron de Trafford's looking for someone, I believe?" And he might roundly deserve her, really, given the givens.

I stop short at the girls' bathroom, for two reasons. The first is Eleanor Posonby, who's coming this way like she's got a plan. She's so tedious, Eleanor is, and if she hears I've got a bonfire date, well, she's liable to invite me to things that I can't politely decline. Things like shopping, tedious trips into town... ice-cream and taffy parlours... I know I ought to embrace that sort of thing, but there's an unpleasant stickiness about everything Eleanor plans, and I wish I could be well free of it.

And, of course, then there's the scream. I look towards Irving and Rose. "Ah, should we...?" Well, probably just Rose and I, unless Irving's more daring than I've thought.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I take the phone with a smile, and maybe take a look at some of the messages on it when he isn't looking. Maybe. Yeah I totally do. But only for a few seconds, because we hear that scream again, and I put it away for good. Stepping out into the clearing behind Arthur, I can't help but let out a gasp at the sight. Arlene... covered in blood over a body. She did that?! But - the cool, analytical part of my mind that came over with me from Megan takes over, pointing something out. The body... It's bloody, and Arlene is bloody, but the ground around it... isn't. "Arthur, wait!" I hold out my hand in front of his chest to hold him back. "Something's wrong here, this isn't where he died. There's no blood on the ground, Arlene either moved him, or found him here after someone else moved him." I don't know what that means as far as her being a banshee though...

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Armor is awesome. Well, to be specific, magic armor is awesome. You get this super-satisfying clunking noise when you walk around and it feels like you can take on the world. Sure, you make a little extra noise. Or a lot extra noise. At the same time, who cares? Good luck backstabbing me through all this, Arlene!

And then, of course, my thoughts were interrupted by the sight of Arlene over a dead body. I froze for a second, remembering the previous night, and then got ready to take her down. It's a drat good thing that Madeline stopped me when she did, because I was about three seconds away from yelling something embarrassingly old-timey as I charged at Arlene. Again. Instead, I had the opportunity to calm down, look closely, and see what she was talking about. The ground was clean. Weird. Not enough to make her blameless, but certainly suspicious. We could play it safe for now. I was pretty quick on the draw and Madeline could hit her with some magic if she tried something.

I lowered my sword from the ready and called over to Arlene, "What's your game here, Arlene? What's going on?"

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

I gulp... I... I don't know what to say! All I know is that this is weird. And now I'm even more tense then I was before I got into the shower. I could totally make a break for it right now...

"Are you okay? You fell pretty hard."

Why am I not running away? I could be gone! I should be gone! If only I didn't fell so... tired.

"You walked in here in a daze, have you been feeling well recently?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I nod as Beatrice steers the conversation away from Rodney. I was asking for her advice on the matter after all. I frown when she suggests de Trafford, though. I add, "I thought we were of the same mind on de Trafford..." I trail off as I try to think of other people. I finally say, "If we're looking at the fencing team, maybe Arthur has some ideas."

I catch a glimpse of Rose's distress, and it's quite understandable. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to rely on someone else to find a date for me, but still. She could TRY to look a little grateful.

I take a quick look at my phone as I feel it buzz and reply.

quote:

Oh. Well, when you get a chance, I was wondering if you had any ideas about who Rose could go with to the festival. Was thinking there was some nice fellow on the fencing team you'd know. Preferably NOT de Trafford.

Also, let me know when you're free. Should hang out some and make some plans for the bonfire.

I'm still not keen on Madeline being with Arthur after that glimpse I had of his future, but... I've got to do this right or things might go even further off the rails. It's not like he'd believe me if I said my Mother taught me how to muddle through the weft and warp of time, right?

That's when the scream breaks out. I look surprised towards the dorms, but it's not like I can just go charging in, right? I return Beatrice's look, saying, "Well... I'll just follow behind the two of you, in case you need me. Don't want to cause a bigger scene, you know."

I open the nearest door and say, "After you, ladies."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Scene 5

River You are just looking down at Maggie wondering what to do next when the bathroom door opens up and you see Rose and Beatrice make their entrances. Oh great just what you need more of audience right? Or are you happy to find someone else to take over and help you with your little problem? Still Maggie seems to be looking confused and a little bit wet and bedraggled what do you do now that everyone's watching?

Beatrice Rose pushes ahead of you curious to see what's going on and comes to a dead stop. There's River stood in the showers wearing nothing but a towel. And is that Maggie? lying on the floor clothes soaking wet. What on earth do you suppose they've been doing? Still it looks like the screaming has stopped anyway at least. Rose seems to find the whole thing hilarious for some reason judging by her sudden outburst of giggles. What about you what do you do?

Irving You step gingerly like a hunter tiptoeing through a lions den. As if any minute the great predators might wake up and upon noticing you swallow you whole. Still needs must eh? Rose and Beatrice halt outside the bathroom door. You're not going in there are you? What do you do instead to help?

Arthur "You idiot." She snarls at you. And then gestures to the corpse. It's hard to tell who it is but they're wearing the schools uniform and definitely look like one of the younger students. However it looks like something has been chewing on his? face. "I warned you something like this was going to happen and you decided to sit on your rusty metal arse rather than do something about it. As for my "game" you can hear the sarcasm dripping from her voice "I was just doing my job. It's a lovely job but it's not my fault if people don't listen to a scream." She turns to wander back into the woods. What do you now?

Madeline The corpse doesn't look pretty at all. In fact it'd be enough to make most people lose their lunch. How are you holding it together? As your pondering what to do next Arthur phone beeps. Huh what are you going to suggest in response to that message. Given that arthur is too busy to notice right now. you could say whatever you like!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm: 0/4 | XP 2/5 | Conditions: None!

I feel my face harden as she talks. She was stepping on my last nerves. Just before she walks off I call after her, "Hold it right there, Arlene. You want to talk about people doing a crap job? What the hell warning do you mean? The one where you tried to lure me into the woods to get my face chewed off-" I point at the corpse. "-like her? I'm here to take care of some goddamn monsters. If you're not killing the victims, which is possible, then point me in the right direction. If you're not going to help, then sit down, shut up, and get out of the woods. You're luring more victims in with your screams, anyways. Did you ever wonder why I stabbed you last night? It's because I'm hearing someone screaming bloody murder all night and then see you creeping around bodies!"

I hope that Madeline is on my side in all of this. Her opinion really means a lot and she's already shown that she's really perceptive. Hopefully she sees through Arlene's hot air.

quote:

[13:42:00] <Tricky> Arthur Shuts Down Arlene
[13:42:02] <Tricky> !r 2d6
[13:42:04] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 6 = 6+1 =

+1 from tagging Meanie and +1 from trying to impress Madeline, we each lose a string.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Ugh... that's... Look, I've seen some gross things working with Arthur before, and other different gross things learning magic with Morgan, and even a few gross things in school like dissected frogs, but this takes the cake for grossest. If I hadn't had all those experiences, I'd probably be barfing up my lunch on the ground, as it is, I've taken to stroking the crystal around my neck to feel the comforting presence of Morgan, and look at Arthur instead of ... it. I'm not sure he's entirely right here since it looks like she didn't kill it, but... it's hard to not think he's entirely right that she's coming off really bad here. If she wanted to help people (and why would she) she'd have told Arthur directly, and she shouldn't be trying to run off immediately after we find her with the corpse. That's suspicious as hell.

Glancing at Arthur's incoming text also helps drive off the nausea from that corpse, but... I'm not sure if its because of the dead body messing with my brain or not, but I can't think of anything worthwhile for me to send in reply to that. If Irving wants to try to make the bonfire night a joint experience and Arthur is okay with that... I don't mind. Not. One. Bit. Mmm. Before I can get too distracted, I slip his phone back away. "Arlene! If you aren't... bad... stick around and explain yourself properly!"

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Oh god no! Not more of them! Wait! I did call for help, maybe they're here because of that!

"Uhhh, hi guys, Maggie just walked into the room and had a pretty heavy fall, she's looking really groggy and I don't know what to do and I'm standing here in a towel and I really need help!" The words rush out, and she could feel tears at the corner of her eyes. Completely over stressed by the whole situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 1
XP 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: Easily Distracted, Stepford Smiler

Wait, what?

I don't really have experience with children -- knowing one or being one -- but this looks like the sort of thing Father would have described as "infantile." What has River gotten herself into? And how, precisely, did she get into it? And why is she standing there in quite nearly the altogether? "Well, you brought clothes, didn't you? Go dry off and put them on. That part surely isn't hard."

I also don't know a thing about medicine, really, but I try to take a look at Maggie to see if she's visibly hurt. "... ah, Maggie? Can you hear me? Do you need a hand up?" They won't expect me to do first aid, will they? I mean, we have a nurse. She'll need clothes, though... but she's got to have some somewhere, too. Doesn't she?

Seriously, now. Was River having some sort of... encounter?

• Locked thread