Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Asura's Wrath is the best anime. But yeah, the audio in general is pretty bad for the English dub. The mixing especially makes it almost impossible to hear the characters' voices at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yasha's the best blue oni. I love how the game immediately follows fighting a planet-sized Buddha with a simple duel, making it clear the game is just going to go with the whole "bigger is better philosophy" a la TTGL.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, I assume that a bunch of people came together to make an anime, but they could only get funding for a video game? How does this game exist?

Well CyberConnect22 is an established studio so I imagined they just wanted to make an anime and so set out to do so within their field of expertise.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The worst thing about this episode is that it comes right before the next episode which is the/one of the best in the game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

Wrong set of sins/virtues.

Yasha is melancholy to memory, for example.

The devs basically pick and chose from the various permutations of the big sins here.

Asura is Wrath, of course
Wyzen was Violence
Yasha is Melancholy
Kalrow was Sloth
Augus was Greed

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

Yes he did, so whoever did the soundtrack, well done that man.

One thing, though... are we really sure the Deities are supposed to correspond to sins, or is that us drawing connections. I ask because there are the Eight Immortals in Chinese Daoist mythology, who don't really map to specific sins but do have a couple of visual signifiers in their representation that do seem to be incorporated here, even if it's obviously supposed to be its own thing. Iron Crutch Li seems to have a lot in common with Kalrow, for example, what with the "old man with a crutch/Segway" thing he had going on there.

They've mentioned the mantra affinities a bit already, but in the future they explicitly say what they all are and they are based on the eight sins. I wouldn't be surprised if their interpretation of them took that Daoist stuff into consideration though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

VerdantSquire posted:

Yeah, I kind of figure it can't just be entirely based on Christianity, because there are only seven deadly sins, not eight. And even beyond that, you kind of have multiple competitors for the same sin in some cases and other characters who don't really fit any (IE: Both Asura and Olga look like contenders for Wrath, Yasha doesn't seem to have a clear sin assigned to him, Sergei and Augus could both be lust, ect). I can't offer any alternatives though, since I don't know much about the "sins" of other religions.

Well as mentioned above, it used to be eight sins with Melancholy (which is what Yasha is) being rolled into Sloth I think someone said?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

So, given that Asura does seem to have an increase in power nearly every time one of these guys goes down, but can't really seem to control that power immediately, hence his being owned by Yasha a few episodes back (and falling out of the sky when Kalrow was dealt with, and then this episode using a hitherto unknown power of giant fiery hands before self imploding on it)... could that mean he is taking the other mantras for himself? his he actually going through an apotheosis?

He gets stronger because he gets angrier, thanks to his Wrath mantra affinity. That's pretty much it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Also, he's punching to build... melancholy? That was confusing, I guess, but we can't all translate our emotion to powers well. But it kinda works for when he seems to fail and THEN gets strong enough to win.

I don't think he's necessarily tapping into his own mantra when he's powering up. I think he's just drawing power from Mithra since he's still one of the deities and all.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

I am probably far behind the times with this, but master Augus has to be lust. He straight up says that he lives for fighting, drinking and loving (and hot springs), preferably all three at the same time. Sounds about as hedonistic as you can get to me. Also yeah, the music in this game is absolutely fantastic.

It's been mentioned in the thread, but Augus is gluttony and Olga is lust.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Reverse rival fight is so good.

Aaagh as we get closer and closer to the finale the wait for episodes becomes worse. This is the point where the game pretty much goes full tilt until the credits, aside from one sequence where they have you fight some lovely Gohma again as filler, and it's so loving good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Garrand posted:

I like how Asura was just patiently puppeteering Sergei around while he gave his speech. There should have been a "Shut up Sergei" button available. I was also a little disappointed at how tame Asura's killing of him was.

Asura's not the kind of dude to torture a person, even when blinded by rage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

I really dig this rival-fight-with-much-stronger-rival redux from the other side thing.

Seriously though, Yasha, I feel like you're only 10% aligned with this cause, but by god, you'll see it through! I guess that meshes with being a dumb melancholy mope. "Guess we gotta destroy everything we hold dear to fix the world." *eeyore*

I almost hope Asura just effortlessly solves the problem through his insane rage mantra levels and then goes "HEY LOOK, AND I DID IT WITHOUT KILLING INNOCENTS, gently caress ALL OF YOU"

But- wait, he's not a seven deity now??? He seemed super on board with it until he punched sense into Asura. Did he accidentally punch sense into himself?

He thought the only way they could ever hope to kill Vlitra was by accumulating mantra from human souls and using it to power the Brahmastra's laser. But then Asura showed that he was capable of equaling that power despite not being amplified by Mithra, and that opened his eyes to there being other opportunities. He turns face pretty quick since he wasn't too keen on the cause in the first place.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Not A Gay Name posted:

So, is it just me or does the guy bottom right (left if you're Geop) look quite a bit like One Punch Man?

That's not the name of any character I'm familiar with.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

EDIT: also what is this bullshit logic, Deus. Yasha just said "Asura outpowered everything we did for 12K years so clearly there is another way." I thought that was reasonable. But now you're like "I thought of that and you're wrong because you can't punch me hard enough"?? I hope Asura punches you into the sun.

It's the whole Pride thing. If Yasha isn't strong enough to beat Deus then no way in hell can be beat Vltira, who even Deus can't overpower.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Plus, as awful of a person as Olga is, it'd just be bad form for Asura to, well.. you know... physically hit her. Like, Asura's whole deal has been being awesomely and righteously Not Kratos. The kind of goes out the window, never to return again, the second he hauls off and punches a woman... even if that woman is Olga.

Because we need more sexism is anime. She's probably the biggest piece of poo poo in the deities after Segei and Kalrow, she very well ought to be punched in the face.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Why Anything posted:

For people keen on men violently attacking women in their media, some good news: there's plenty out there. Some fictional and sadly a lot from reality. It's good the game avoided the very problematic image of having the male hero punch a villain who is a woman to death - there goes fun cartoon escapism in an instant. This stuff isn't rocket science.

Why is that worse than Asura crushing Kalrow to death in his escape pod? Or gutting and then head stomping Sergei?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

Olga as presented in the game is just a commander and tactician, who orders other people do fight and isn't really combat trained herself*, so what point is there in Asura, who punches things the size of planets for pretty much a living now, in going full force against her? The power dynamic is all off, it's like throwing a soup cracker at a landmine...

You just described a pretty common villain archetype in anime (my go to for this type is usually Spandam from One Piece) and that character usually gets their poo poo pushed in pretty hard as catharsis for the viewer. I agree that given her character it'd be more fitting for her to die due to her own arrogance but being directly killed by Asura should not be and is not off the table just because she's a woman, that's a pretty lovely attitude to take. I wouldn't want to see her beaten black and blue but then that's true of anyone Asura faces because that's not in Asura's character; crushing Kalrow was a fitting moment of dramatic irony but him brutally murdering someone clearly beneath him is explicitly against his character as shown when he let one of the demigod fodder go. Even if the Lust person were a dude it would still be weird if Asura did that, which is my issue with the above comments. It could just be poor phrasing on their part but their main issue seems purely to be the fact that Olga is a woman and that's real loving lovely.

I can't really say much about the Kratos example you bring up since I've never played his games, but to my understanding he's actually pretty egalitarian in that he's an awful monster to literally everyone he meets.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh boy it's one of them double length anime episodes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This is the low point of the game, imo, cause it's just a bunch of dumb gameplay filler stuck in the middle of an otherwise amazing ending.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Baumann posted:

Unfortunately this game didn't do very well. I don't think we'll ever see a rerelease or remaster.

This dlc is actually the story ideas they had for the sequel I think. When they knew they weren't gonna have a true sequel they did this to wrap up the story. It's sad, this game probably could've been a decent seller if the marketing was better.

Though given how many games Capcom has been releasing on PC lately it's certainly not out of the cards.

If it gets a (good) PC port that will probably mark the first time I actually play Asura's Wrath as opposed to watching it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

I sure hope the next update is a three hour episode, oh, say, immediately.

because this game having breaks at all is a crime

:yeah:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Stormgale posted:

This game tries really hard, sure some of the fights are annoying (Yasha's near constant super armor, the turtles) and the basic battle system is well basic but the way it tries to play around with an episodic format, utilising the UI (I loved the 2nd title shot in chapter 18 for example) and just drat, cyberconnect really tried so hard with this and if you are in the right mood boy does it pay off.

It's definitely a labor of love, and why I'd actually rather a theoretical sequel done by Cybconnect2 rather than Platinum, even if their game design abilities are far inferior (best case would be Platinum handling the gameplay with Cyberconnect2 handling everything else of course).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm just going to say this is the best Christmas present I could have asked for. Thank you Geop.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Seriously though, as kinda skeevy as it was for Capcom to sell the true ending as DLC, and as skippable as the middle two chapters were - holy poo poo the final throwdown with Chakravartin is a loving treasure. The animation is excellent, the art design is incredibly memorable, the themes are easily understandable and not without resonance - it's a rollicking good time.

I'm not sure if this makes it better or worse, but my understanding is that the sequel hook was originally meant as just that: a hook for a sequel where Chakravartin would be the villain. But the game sold poorly enough that they cobbled whatever ideas they had into what became the DLC ending instead.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Not a huge fan of the non-Soft Bank commercial in this lineup, seems a tad transphobic. Otherwise I'm sad to see these wonderful Japanese commercials (and this LP) go. Continuity in commercials in a strange and wonderful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Geop posted:

Not sure why but I guess I didn't have my head on straight when I grabbed the commercials and neglected to think about that; I'll replace this with an edited video on the 28th sorry =[

That's okay, I figured you just didn't think of that which was why I brought it up. Thanks for taking the effort to replace it!

• Locked thread