Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I wasn't exactly taken with the "gameplay" of Asura's Wrath, but I will say this about it in 100% sincerity: CyberConnect2 made one hell of a beautiful anime. Because that's what this game is trying to be, a 24-episode shounen anime season, and goddamn did it ever pull that off incredibly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dismas posted:

Geop I am really loving these commercial breaks.

The Softbank dog is the MVP of this LP.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miz Kriss posted:

All that's missing is cheesy ending credits

...Those are coming. Give it a couple updates. I'm not kidding :stare:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Night10194 posted:

This is only going to continue to escalate, isn't it?

You have no loving idea :getin:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sgt Thud posted:

Relevant to the comments about the cast:

Liam O'Brien does seem like he'd of had a blast doing Asura's Wrath. His regular speaking voice is also the most deceptively nerdy-sounding thing ever, to the point where when I first heard it I was like "no, that's a put on, he doesn't really sound like that." It's great :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Karate Bastard posted:

Yeah that was some weak-rear end killing that Yasha had going on. Didn't even last a millennium.

He just didn't have the heart to go all extra special 10,000 years in hell overkill on Asura.

They used to be best friends, remember?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Asura's secret power is being the only dad capable of being sad and mad at the same time.

You might say he's also one Rad Dad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

But has their uncle always been a porpoise? Why is the brother black? This just leads to more questions!

I'm just perplexed that, according to the Japanese press, the Softbank dog's name is literally Father (Otōsan).

...I don't know what I expected :geno:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Well CyberConnect22 is an established studio so I imagined they just wanted to make an anime and so set out to do so within their field of expertise.

All told, they had a hell of a lot better results than the last game studio to take a crack at making its own anime. I'm talking of course about when Level-5 made Gundam AGE and drat near killed the whole Gundam franchise with it because Akihiro Hino, by his own admission, wrote it like he was writing a video game, and everyone hated it.

Then again, half the subforum knows I have an incredibly dim opinion of Hino's writing "talents", soooo...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gami Cross posted:

Even the greatest champion chess strategist is no match for a man who will run in, throw the chessboard across the room and scream "I WIN!"

And then punch the chessmaster. Let's not leave out that part :eng101:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

They're evil demon things that eat souls that the robo demi-god people Asura was part of were fighting. They managed to mostly defeat them and the big giant space whale worm thing that was the biggest of them in the beginning, but apparently they keep coming back.

I think. This game has kinda indirect storytelling for anything that doesn't involve Asura's reasons for being pissed off.

Yeah, by and large the Gohma are more a plot vehicle when they need to be and an afterthought the rest of the time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Genocyber posted:

The devs basically pick and chose from the various permutations of the big sins here.

Asura is Wrath, of course
Wyzen was Violence
Yasha is Melancholy
Kalrow was Sloth
Augus was Greed

Olga is Lust
Sergei is Vanity
Deus is Pride
and Yasha is :perfect:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

whowhatwhere posted:

I'm assuming she's Lust because lol girl (on CC2's part)?

More or less, though really, without delving too deep into spoilers she could also easily be Pride too because holy poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Not A Gay Name posted:

And having watched One Punch Man, I'm pretty positive Asura could give Saitama a run for his money.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Man, the part where Yasha's theme kicks in as the autorun section starts is so loving good. This game is the best.

I remember playing the game for the first time and going "you know, if this game had any real balls it would let me play as Yasha right now" and then IT DID. I'm a little sad that this game isn't as fondly remembered as it should have been. It's not perfect by any means, but I really wish CyberConnect2 would make another game in its vein in the future.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zonko_T.M. posted:

The first one was really interesting to look at, and it felt like it was weird on purpose. This second one just felt low-budget. Also the actual action wasn't nearly as interesting. "Yasha beats up a bunch of dudes and then gets no-selled by Deus" vs "Asura blows up literally hundreds of demons and grows fists made entirely of RAGE". I loved the first one.

Asura is like the Flash, but instead of the Speed Force there's some kind of Anger Force that allows him to do incredibly broken things entirely because he's SO ANGRY! THE ANGRIEST MAN ALIVE!
In the sequel, they'll introduce Reverse-Asura, who's goal will be to be even angrier than Asura.
He will fail.

I'm just picturing like a CW Flash-style opening monologue now. Suddenly I want to hear Grant Gustin belt out "My name is Barry Allen, and I AM THE ANGRIEST MAN ALIVE!!!!:byodood:"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
In the next game, Asura decides to give up his quest for brutal vengeance, having embraced the philosophy that the best revenge is living well. He forms a small startup company and the core mechanic of the game will be to manage the company's finances and success via tightly scripted QTEs.

(It will be called Asura's Wealth)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Really Pants posted:

Olga's gesticulations are fierce, but not even seven trillion souls' worth of Melodrama can match Asura's six sweeping arms

Plus, as awful of a person as Olga is, it'd just be bad form for Asura to, well.. you know... physically hit her. Like, Asura's whole deal has been being awesomely and righteously Not Kratos. The kind of goes out the window, never to return again, the second he hauls off and punches a woman... even if that woman is Olga.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love how Yasha's burst counter is to send Deus flying the same way Asura does, only via a backhanded slap to the dick as opposed to a head but. It's just like Asura, only more calculated and spitefully precise. It's absolutely perfect for Yasha.

I'm noticing so many more little details like that watching this LP than I did just playing the game. It's actually really artistic when you get down to it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
They brought up the concept of the Brahmastra last night on Flash and I just sort of giggled when it happened, immediately picturing Asura just beating the poo poo out of Barry Allen because he can punch faster than Barry can run :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Danaru posted:

They pronounced it Dragonball Zed in the official commercial, I've been 100% vindicated

Even the Canadian-produced dub of DBZ called it Dragon Ball Zee :colbert:

• Locked thread