Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
“Restraint? Why are you so concerned with saving their lives? The whole idea is to kill the bastards. At the end of the war, if there are two Americans and one Russian left alive, we win.” ~Gen. Thomas Power, U.S. Strategic Air Command 1957-1964

MELTWATER (working title) is a two-player board game of tactical starvation and mutually assured destruction at the end of the earth, currently under development by Erin Escobedo, aka me, Gutter Owl! The game is currently in open beta for Rules Version 0.64.

This thread pits Sailor Viy (US) against Fat Turkey (USSR). But we're still looking for additional testers for additional threads! Please sign up in this thread if you're interested in playing!

Players are expected to have read and understood the rules as currently posted. I'd like this to be as blind a run as possible, so I'll try to refrain from commenting, other than updating the map and piece counts. But if you have a rules question, feel free to post in the thread, or PM me if you want to keep your super secret strategic advantage or the like. And while I'd like to keep the rules version consistent for this playtest, I reserve the right to drop in a hot fix if something is clearly Broke In Half.

REFERENCES
RULES * BLANK MAP AND CARDSHEETS

Turn Sequence posted:

STARVATION PHASE
Ignore on your first turn.
  • Flee to friendly
  • Defect to enemy/neutral
  • Starve to death

ACTION PHASE
Spend up to 4 Actions.
  • Move
  • Threaten*
  • Pressgang*
  • Raid*
  • Attack
  • Move Supply (2 actions)
  • Militarize (all 4 actions)
*blocked by enemy soldiers

DOOMSDAY PHASE
Resolve Doomsday card.
  • Add radiation
  • Add refugees
  • Reveal new card
Ignore if deck is empty.

Radiation and Support posted:

Dead: 0 pieces, no matter what
Dirty Snow: 1 piece
Dirty Ice: 2 pieces
Clean Snow: 2 pieces
Clean Ice: 3 pieces
Supply Depot: +1 adjacent friendly

Action Reference posted:

MOVE (1A)
Move any # friendly civs/soldiers from one hex to an adjacent hex. Can't move into enemy hex, civs can't enter radiation.

THREATEN (1A)
Move an enemy civilian. Must have more pieces and/or soldier. Blocked by enemy soldiers.

PRESSGANG (1A)
Convert neutral civilian (with optional move). Must have more pieces and/or soldier. Blocked by enemy soldiers.

RAID (1A)
Sacrifice soldier to destroy supply depot. Blocked by enemy soldiers.

ATTACK (1A)
Sacrifice soldier to kill enemy soldier. Spreads radiation to nearest dirty hex.

MOVE SUPPY (2A)
Move supply depot from friendly hex to adjacent friendly hex.

MILITARIZE (4A)
Upgrade 1 or 2 friendly civs to friendly soldiers. Cannot upgrade civs adjacent to enemies.

Important Reminders posted:

• The current player decides any ties for starvation and doomsday placement. Letting your people starve into an enemy turn is a Bad Idea.
  • A Move must be from a single hex to a single hex. You cannot split up pieces without using multiple actions.
  • Soldiers block adjacent hexes from performing a Threaten/Pressgang/Raid. Soldiers do not necessarily defend adjacent hexes from being targeted by these actions.
  • Move Supply requires a friendly piece in both the origin space and the destination space.

Other Active Games
[MELTWATER Playtest] As you know, the Premier loves surprises

Previous threads:
[MELTWATER Playtest] Sinewave vs Tricky (Note: Uses outdated rules.)
[MELTWATER Playtest] Tricky vs Sinewave 2: Communism Harder
[MELTWATER Playtest] We must not allow a mineshaft gap!
[MELTWATER Playtest] Toe to toe with the Rooskies

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

For this playtest, we're upgrading to the shiny new Version 0.64! 0.64 has one significant rule change: The initial Active and Next cards will be visible during the setup phase. (Also, a bunch of ongoing formatting revision that shouldn't impact the actual rules, but will probably make searching for a particular rule harder and more annoying for a little bit! Hooray!)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Let's get started...on setup!

Active: J1 & L4, refugee K7
Next: F7 & H1

US: 5 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot
USSR: 6 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot

:siren: Fat Turkey, you have the first placement! :siren:

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Civ F2 per favore

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

US: 5 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot
USSR: 5 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot

Viy, you're up.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Civ F3.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

ctive: J1 & L4, refugee K7

US: 4 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot
USSR: 5 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot

Turkey's placement.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Civ G2

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

US: 4 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot
USSR: 4 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot

Viy's placement.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Civ H6.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

US: 3 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot
USSR: 4 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot

Turkey's placement.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
civ H5

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

US: 3 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot
USSR: 3 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot

Viy.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Civ G4.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

US: 2 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot
USSR: 3 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot

Turkey.

(Just to make sure y'all know, you don't need to wait for me to update before posting your placements, if you can visualize what your opponent just did. No need to stand on ceremony.)

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Soldier, H5

Gutter Owl, what country are you based in, I can't work it out from your posting times! You seem to post around the clock!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Fat Turkey posted:

Soldier, H5

Gutter Owl, what country are you based in, I can't work it out from your posting times! You seem to post around the clock!

I'm from the southwest US. But I'm between jobs right now, and my sleep schedule has gone entirely sideways. So I post whenever I'm awake enough to click all the buttons in (mostly) the right order. Sorry if that's an inconvenience for y'all.

US: 2 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot
USSR: 3 civ, 1 soldier, 2 depot

Viy!

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
It's not inconvenient in the slightest! I was just trying to work it out from your time postings, they were all over the place, but whatever works for you is fine of course :)

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Civ H7.

I'm gonna be honest, Gutter Owl, on my second playthrough this phase is pretty boring. There doesn't seem to be a lot of strategy to my placement decisions (although maybe if I was better then there would be). I imagine this phase would only take a few minutes in a live game, but over PbP it drags.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Sailor Viy posted:

Civ H7.

I'm gonna be honest, Gutter Owl, on my second playthrough this phase is pretty boring. There doesn't seem to be a lot of strategy to my placement decisions (although maybe if I was better then there would be). I imagine this phase would only take a few minutes in a live game, but over PbP it drags.

Fair. I need to push forward on the preset start variant.

US: 1 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot
USSR: 3 civ, 1 soldier, 2 depot

Turkey.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Civ J5

I don't think it's a reflection in the game that this starting placement phase is tedious; this game feels built for playing across a table where this phase would be very quick. Any turn by turn game is going to have this issue.

Offering a starting position would be a good idea though, especially as it feels like you need to have played the game a few times before you know how best to align pieces. Then when people are comfortable with play, they can explore different starting positions.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

US: 1 civ, 2 soldier, 2 depot
USSR: 2 civ, 1 soldier, 2 depot

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Soldier H6.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Depot J4

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

US: 1 civ, 1 soldier, 2 depot
USSR: 2 civ, 1 soldier, 1 depot

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Depot E4.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Soldier G2

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

US: 1 civ, 1 soldier, 1 depot
USSR: 2 civ, 1 depot

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Civ E4.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Sorry about the slowdown. Been a bit under the weather. We're almost to the juicy bit.

US: 1 soldier, 1 depot
USSR: 2 civ, 1 depot

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Depot G2

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Soldier E1.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Civ G4

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

you can't put a civ there mate!!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Sailor Viy posted:

you can't put a civ there mate!!

What they said. Update as of Viy's last placement.

US: 1 depot
USSR: 2 civ

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Oops, I meant J4! Was probably thinking of all the trouble you're causing me along that column and put G down!

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Depot G6.

Fat Turkey posted:

Oops, I meant J4! Was probably thinking of all the trouble you're causing me along that column and put G down!

I'm glad I'm causing you trouble, apparently... it's still pretty opaque to me what's going to happen in the first few turns.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Civ H3

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

:siren: Let's start the fireworks! :siren:

US STARVATION
Skipped this turn.

US ACTION
Viy, fire the opening salvo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Pressgang neutral at E1, move him to E2.
Pressgang neutral at E2, move him to E3.
Move stack at E1 to E2.
Move 1 soldier and 1 civ from E2 to F3.

• Locked thread